Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
He's done a decent number of stuff dialled to 11, and at this point, he's probably been wrong or misleading more often than not. It just feels like he's struggling to figure out a way to make tech videos at a time where interest in PC building is at an all-time low, because people are mad about not being able to get GPUs and other supply-constrained components.

Jay should lean more into the day-in-the-life stuff he's pretty good at making, because it's getting a little out of hand with these videos, and then other YouTubers have to spend time clarifying what the hell he meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
A neat new update:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1480921263107461130

Basically an AI-enhanced DSR and some new Freestyle filters from working with ReShade to add SSAO, GI, and dynamic DOF. So only fiddlers will know about it and apply it on a per-game basis.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yep, that's what they're claiming

wonder if anyone will bother benchmarking to test the theory. most likely they'll do it as one of those "MAKE YOUR GAMES LOOK AMAZING WITH THIS ONE WEIRD TRICK"

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
I don't see why not, as long as you have a 20-series or later.

I tried downloading the latest driver today, but something weird's going on, maybe wait a day to see if something gets pulled and reuploaded.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
AV1 encoding is getting wider adoption on YouTube; this HWUB video has AV1 across all resolutions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTkIeBhVOck

code:
mp4   3840x2160 60 | 1.54GiB 11056k | av01.0.13M.08
webm  3840x2160 60 | 1.74GiB 12438k | vp9
YouTube is generally taking the road of "same quality, lower bitrate" rather than "same bitrate, higher quality" with AV1, which I assume is in large part due to the algo dorks who believe it will result in higher watchtimes, engagement, etc.

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 18, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Klyith posted:

IDK, it seems like youtube quality is pretty good these days. They use good codecs now, unlike the VP8 days. If you compare 4K movie trailers and other stuff that's not a talking head, they're delivering bitrates that are at least the same ballpark as netflix.
Part of this is also that more people are uploading higher-resolution videos which is more likely to trigger VP9 encoding versus the default AVC/H264 which continues to look pretty garbage. YouTube livestreams still look aaawful, in part because everything uploaded to ingest always gets re-encoded. Maybe YouTube don't take literal days to encode 4K uploads anymore or something.

And to be fair to YouTube, a lot of people just still have zero clue how to encode video for YouTube, especially huge channels like IGN. The new Moon Knight trailer from Marvel also looks like absolute garbage (in terms of encoding), which blows my mind for such a big company.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Speak of the devil! FFmpeg 5.0 just launched, including:

quote:

AV1 Low overhead bitstream format muxer

:eyepop:

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
I just really wanted to use that emote for once, but it's a nice addition.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
And promoting VPNs that are definitely not about getting around region restrictions for where streaming services don't have publishing rights, etc.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yeah i had to unsubscribe ltt's response to the gpu drought and techtuber viewership decline was to make a bunch of videos on how to mine better and whatnot

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
does he use their referral codes a lot or something

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
good thing linus raced to defend these chumps before video #2 came out showing they're even worse than we first thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL-eB_Bv5Ik

Description posted:

Newegg sold us a motherboard that they knew was damaged. It was even labeled as such and Newegg themselves had started to RMA it, but then they blamed us for the damage.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
to no one's surprise, here's another banger video from anthony to explain directstorage perfectly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlf2I1TYd8U

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Linus talking about labour protections and unionization was pretty hilarious. I don't think he's the villain people would have him be, but having his wife handle internal HR complaints is a weird thing to boast of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEdAosuqAsM&t=5854s

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Klyith posted:

Putting his wife in charge of HR is loving terrible in all directions. Like, I wouldn't call it "villainous" because the general idea that brings up is evil + smart. It implies a plan. This is the opposite.

If he hypothetically had a lawsuit over workplace issues it's gonna be really hard to defend against "I did not feel that I could discuss my problem with the CEO with the CEO's wife".

So it's kinda thoughtlessly callous -- he isn't thinking about how it must feel for his employees to discuss problems with the wife of their employer -- but also deeply stupid. I don't have a good word for that.
He doesn't seem to understand labour protections beyond a very basic level. It's not like he's uniquely careless with this given his complete mismanagement of the server/backup system and other things like that. It's just that you shouldn't mess up stuff as important as this.

If someone's as clueless as he is, I'd at least try to find a way to set up some annual audits. What a lot of employers don't get is that unions also work as a management layer that actually helps do a lot of the job for you, and he clearly needs the help. Not to mention whatever weird division of labour and authority he has set up with his wife.

I really wanna know what a visit from the Canadian equivalent of OSHA would be like.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
only a matter of time before linus does a sponsored video for exo-skeletons

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
steve being a kind soul as always

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgyAmsCSXWo

i generally hate it when "influencers" do nice things because it's so insincere, but you know steve's legit nice like this

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
score another one for the power couple managing everything lol

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
maybe they still have one of those awful e-lawyers back from when handling youtube and twitch was a niche specialty

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
does it at least support the matter iot standard?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
ltt also said on the wan show a bit ago that they wanted to stop doing intros and stuff like that in the beginning, because youtube might ding them for viewers skipping the start of a video

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
"we follow all local labour laws" energy

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i wish headphones all used the same cable today, though, so tired of proprietary crap that costs extra to replace

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i think kids 100% need a "talk" about modern-day privacy, mainly because of how much stuff is bound to stay online and be tied to your identity one way or another

even adults struggle to lock down apps and websites to keep them from stealing too much stuff

all of this probably wouldn't be necessary twenty years ago, but social media and the ad industry have definitely changed that. it's so gross to see how normalized online talking of girls and women is, especially on reddit where people will just set up subreddits for random women they find online

doesn't mean you still can't do it in a way that respects your kids' privacy, though. parental controls are such a mess in general

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i think it's fair that some people see linus as the "cool boss" type, especially once you get to your thirties and still do meme accounts on twitter - where you probably just took the memes from somewhere else

i don't think linus is one of the people who got to where he is in messed up ways - although i could have done without a sex joke in every single video back then - so i think there's that for him

he doesn't seem super smart, which is fine, but i think linus is just starting to remind other people of the resposibilities of having employees and managing a business, even though that's literally something all big youtubers have. linus just makes it reality-like tv to bring it to the forefront. all big youtubers are bosses - and future landlords - but they keep acting like they're still 18-year-olds along while not reminding people of the responsibilities that come with being a millionaire

linus is very transparent and probably much closer to what he's actually like, and that's obviously something that's less cool than cultivating the nanoleaf rgb light gamer persona beloved by 14-year-olds of other youtubers

kliras fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 19, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's going to be an interesting balancing act between "sober lmg tech analysis" and youtube thumbnails and titles that get the right amount of engagement compared to their other videos

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
literally the union situation all over again: they don't want to formally establish something; if something bad happens, they'll handle it ad hoc; something something my wife and i

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
perfect timing:

https://twitter.com/OTKnetwork/status/1556739967115739141

moist is known from youtube, and otk is a bunch of twitch folks - and asmongold who's that nerd who's always throwing an alt-right tantrum tantrum in that recommended youtube video you can't get rid of

to make mattersr more fun, otk was recently sponsored by ... artesian builds

it's gonna be interesting if or when tech youtubers decide to review it; these are not people who are generally great at handling criticism

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
aaand they're announcing a change in prices

https://clips.twitch.tv/FrozenDarkCrowRuleFive-vV8w0m2XDy0ZZHoG

he also says they were using prices from eight months ago?(!)

twitch streamers and youtubers man

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
please tell me he's not going to discuss the finer points of sexual propriety with a loving pirate hat pfp

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
his entire brand up until, what, this year, was dramatized tech stuff with a bunch of sexual innuendo thrown into every video, any incel audience he has is unsurprising. all the more reason he should be careful with where he directs his audience when he gets called out by women

i also don't think people have a problem with how much money he has; if anything, he doesn't flaunt it enough like other "influencers". so we end up with the "cool boss" image instead. this also helps him wave away scandals with him being "clumsy", which is also a typical nerd excuse

as with most thing, i think a lot of any possible backlash against ltt is that they never cared that much about consumers in the first place, because it was more about dialling up the thumbnail and title rhetoric on videos for engagement more than anything else. but to not call out ltt on this also makes fans look like suckers. consumer kayfabe for lack of a better term

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Tiny Timbs posted:

The "INTEL GAVE US $9,000 TO SPEND ON A GAMING MACHINE" genre of videos could not be less interesting to me, since they invariably show off some relatively minor performance gain with tech that simply hasn't realized the benefit of manufacturing efficiencies.
love too see the squalor that employees of the second-biggest tech channel on youtube live in

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1558234832613920771

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
gn also considered making their own cases, but it would mean they'd have to give up case reviews due to the conflict of interest

it's really cool how cases keep improving, in no small part because of gn not being afraid to call manufacturers out

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 13, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
oh yeah, those people are shipping out now, so there's that to look forward to

https://twitter.com/StarforgePCs/status/1558152796100337664
https://twitter.com/StarforgePCs/status/1558130149434052609

i'm sure they have amazing warranties

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

The Grumbles posted:

Whatever happened to that Jayz2cents guy. Haven't heard much from him since the whole suggesting that BLM protestors are fair game to be shot stuff. Is he still a colossal boob
he didn't find a way to make videos when tech youtuber viewership dropped off a cliff during the pandemic because no one could get a gpu, and now he just does objectively terrible clickbait and curiosity gap that makes no sense

he also occasionally takes other people's reporting and completely misrepresents it, be it out of idiocy of craven clickbait

it's a shame, because i always love watching people just building computers for relaxing, and you can barely infer which those videos are now because of his new clickbait titles

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yeah he always seemed like "big techtuber" adjacent more than an actual big channel. on top of his weird "comedy" bits

hardware canucks are also becoming more irrelevant, and they're just doing straight up ads for various companies like corsair now

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
lol if you're not hiding your desiccated husk of a meat suit behind a vtuber avatar at the eldritch age of 35

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
can't wait to stand in line behind a nerd with this backpack at the airport's carry-on inspection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i would assume that steve feels that he's getting dragged into it one way or another, and not saying something is going to look like a deliberate choice that could make him look bad

it's non-tech merch, but it's a tech channel that constantly chews out other companies for bad consumer practices. i think getting into it and staying out of it both making sense with neither being more dramatic over the other

also it's probably going to make it a little easier for the ltt employees to voice a little more dissent, since calling out big youtubers is never a fun experience for anyone