Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
A few N64 games hit 60fps so lmao and not even being able to match what a Nintendo console did 25 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
It’s happened to others.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
lol who gives a poo poo

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Just have mobos come with a secondary SoC built in that gives it enough to output to video and display error codes and troubleshooting steps.

Or better yet have the mono tether to a separate IoT device that talks back the error code but also allows you to ask about the weather.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Yeah I don't mind him much at all, he's got some of the best edited videos and doesn't raise his voice or use weird clickbait.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
hay guys its austin

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
The more aggressive B roll shots that utilize that robotic camera are neat but I don't think they do too much of that anymore. I liked the closeup slider shots a lot years ago when they were novel but it's boring now, but that may be because the devices aren't as exciting as they used to be.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Just print the script to the web page and have ChatGPT condense it.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Time to move to Floatplane

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Oh come on, where's the real harm in playing with a jet engine as though it's a children's toy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEFx1qmW4ts

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Dankpods is one of my favorite channels that I found recently. Not too serious but he seems to know his poo poo when it comes to audio and his vernacular is hilarious.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

K8.0 posted:

Naomi Wu is a Chinese woman who has some very unique content but she has a long history of being a huge drama factory, sometimes justified (multiple journalists basically tried to get the CCP to black van her), sometimes completely unjustified. She's by her own admission significantly mentally ill and sometimes that gets in the way. I mean it's not like saying this is going to help but do not drag her into this poo poo, she's just going to start flailing and hurting herself again.

This reminded me of that time on the WAN show that Linus thought the phrase "hard R" was referring the word "retarded" and not the actual word which shouldn't be said by white people.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Triikan posted:

Craft Computing is doing his live show right now with Lawnrence Systems, and seems to be downplaying everything except Madison. He started with "GN's video doesn't need to exist" but then later said something to the effect "I'm glad he made it" but at the same time said that most of the criticisms were nitpicks (the errors), said them not sending the waterblock back "Is totally understandable and not a big deal," seems to have missed the "it would've cost $$$ to test it properly" angle altogether.

Also responded to a viewer response as "What does that matter to you?"

So, I'm putting him on Team Linus.

lol what the gently caress? Didn't GN state that Billet was at a standstill because they didn't get that prototype back? Yep, not a big deal to just sabotage a startup without even loving telling them.

Also lol at the defense of cost

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Konar posted:

Maybe, but I scrolled up to where the original was posted and couldn't find it, but I may have been going too fast.

Some redditor reposted it on their own domain so here's that link for any who may have missed it (edit, I don't know how to just make it clickable, sorry for the giant video inlined)

https://blackburndrone.co.uk/wp-con...-1692546386.mp4

Is there a TLDW for this?

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've got zero problem with people creating a problem to solve it in an instructional video. Just be up front about it.

You won't believe what we found in this customer's carpet!!!

*insert thumbnail with a dirty carpet and big arrow pointing to a giant circle at random spot and someone with a shocked face*

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Martian Manfucker posted:

Bismuth is my favourite speedruns explained channel. Don't sleep on the Mario 64 ABC videos. I think he finally finished the series earlier this year and there's a 5hr+ compilation of all the parts. Summoning Salt is great for the history of a particular speedrun record and all of the personalities in the story but nothing beats the in-depthness of Bismuth.

Unless you want to go even deeper with Mario 64 in which case go watch Panenkoek and learn what half an A-press is.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

TheOneVader posted:

As someone who used to watch all of LTT's videos, as well as Doug DeMuro, I always skipped LTT's car reviews. Why would I care about Linus's opinion on the Corolla? He's not a car expert, this isn't a car channel. It felt like a weird stretch for their content.

THHHHHHISSSSSS is an apt analysis.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Dylan16807 posted:

https://twitter.com/linusgsebastian/status/1609468262219403264

Based on this youtube revenue was $5.5M in 2022, so total revenue would be in the realm of $25-30M plus merch growth.

Apparently growth also meant growing the number of merch plugs in a single video too.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Sydney Bottocks posted:

At this point, when it comes to incredibly bad business decisions, I can't fathom why anyone would give Linus the benefit of the doubt for even a nanosecond

Well otherwise it'd be called Tech Tips or some other thing.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

slidebite posted:

I'm waiting for reaction videos watching reaction videos until it's like someone watching the equivalent to a zoom meeting.

Might I suggest the channel Reaction Time. No idea if they're even relevant anymore but between poorly done jokes and dumb catch phrases the main guy would often just stare blankly at the videos or just comment on exactly what was happening.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Isn't NoScript redundant because uBlock does a similar thing?

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Tiny Timbs posted:

It doesn't work because I watch YouTube in a lot more places than just my computer

There are plenty of alternate apps for just about every platform that can still skip ads and utilize sponsor block. Might lose out on casting ability of logging into your account but those were worth the sacrifice.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Rawrbomb posted:

I present you with an Apple TV, and or other Smart TV, let me know when you figure out how that works for us ;)

Some people really just don't consume YouTube on their computers.

https://github.com/yattee/yattee

I tossed my old Chromecast and got a $20 Onn branded Walmart android box which was pretty painless to set up and even works great for casting from other devices.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Randalor posted:

Right, but what kind of data? And how would an ad blocker or subscribing to them change that data?

Subscribing wouldn't do much except keep ads from coming up, which likely just means companies don't make money off of it because the service isn't being subsidized for that user.

Google will collect almost anything they can and make inferences based off of a lot of poo poo like your location, interests, services activity, IP address, etc.

An ad blocker will usually stop things like tracking cookies, domains from connecting, web scripts from running, among other things.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Randalor posted:

So basically, the poo poo that Google already knows because I already told them a lot of that stuff when I signed up (or they just check where my IP is from)?

It goes a lot further than what you explicitly tell them, but yeah.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Klyith posted:

Correctly assessing that there is no alternative* is a different thing than "who cares".

*if you want to buy me an iphone and a bunch of subscription services that I'd need to fully de-google my life, be my guest!

You can degoogle a number of phones (even Pixels, ironically) and there are a lot of different service replacements for things like Photos, Calendar, etc. You're not going to replace Youtube obviously but you could use something like Invidious as an alternative frontend to it.

It would probably cost more per month and you lose out some big conveniences, but you're not putting all your eggs in one basket in case of being hacked or something like your account being disabled for breaking a TOS.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

MarcusSA posted:

Premium works on every platform. I can’t block ads on everything I use to watch YouTube

What platform aren't you able to block ads on? I mean I get that it's convenient to just sub to Premium and be done with it. It's pretty easy to find a way around them on almost anything today.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
No

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
They're going to end up with some Hulu ad bullshit of showing you 2 minutes of ads every 5 minutes and they're unskippable.

Oh look, we're back to regular television now except the content isn't regulated!

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
What about techie ASMR youtubers, do any of those exist? I listen to some random unboxing asmr videos I found years ago to help me sleep.

Maybe Nexus Steve should make an ASMR adjacent channel and just have some gentle voice read off the same script.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
The Verge also did a really good video a few years ago that was popular.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Sagacity posted:

As I mentioned upthread, I used to use AdGuard for Android which creates a local VPN that routes all your traffic. This way, you can get adblocking for a lot of stuff on Android, including Chrome. It really hogs battery though (on the level of having to charge my phone in the early evening vs. having battery left when going to bed).

I've switched to using NextDNS which works less well but still blocks enough ads to be very useful. The benefit of using a hosted DNS provider versus something like a self-hosted PiHole is that my ads are still blocked when I'm not on my WiFi at home, but the battery doesn't get drained like with AdGuard for Android.

It still feels weird to pay for a service like this so any suggestions for setting up PiHole in such a way that all mobile devices in the family can use it (even from mobile or on other WiFi networks) is welcome. Well, a way that doesn't expose it to randos, I mean.

Could set up Wireguard on your router then your phone would act as if it was on the network anyways and pihole should still act as your filter.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

BUUNNI posted:

Arc is awesome but I’m bummed that all my adblockers won’t work since Google is banning them.

That's why you get something like a Pihole or NextDNS so you can have network-wide ad blocking. It doesn't have all of the capabilities that ublock has with like disabling web page scripts and elements but I'm not sure any app will once v3 comes out. In which case you just switch to Firefox.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
They also banned a guy for having a picture of his own kid in his G Photos.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

MarcusSA posted:

This might be a silly question but is it possible to have a video on YouTube be completely ad break free? Or is that something that YouTube does on its own no matter what?

Yeah with uBlock and SponsorBlock

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

kirbysuperstar posted:

the recent trend of pepole bleeping out words like "abuse" is, interesting

This has been around for a while. Even things like the word "sex" people would bleep out or spell it out. Tiktok people switched from suicide to "unalive" which is clever but makes it feel much less serious imo

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
How appropriate that people's PSN accounts have been getting randomly banned recently.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Bondematt posted:

Yeah, and if we're talking first PCs, an 18 year old now could have had an I5-2500k at 6.

poo poo, I was 13 when I joined the forums so I could see that being the case. Although dorky teenagers are probably much different than what was around in the early 2000s

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Always thought having a triple core CPU was so badass during the Phenom days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

mobby_6kl posted:

My last two have been pre-built Lenovo ThinkCentre and Dell Optiplex.

Once I realized you can get them for basically free and then just throw in a GPU to make a very usable machine, that was that. I've been meaning to build a new one again but I've been putting off due to GPUs being unobtainable or overpriced without a good use case.

I did this years ago with a 1050ti that didn't need a 6 or 8 pin power connector. Is that still the case for these machines or do they have room for upgrades?