Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
I felt he was just funning around (especially since there have been so-goddamned-many teardowns of legit bad pre-builts this year). No-one watching is going to be meaningfully mislead by the acerbic commentary from a dev-kit teardown.

Edit: I don't mean that in a pointed way. It's just... it was a novelty, in the sense of being a Stadia dev-kit, but other than cataloging the parts, there really wasn't much else to say about it.

Edit: Though perhaps Steve would argue that the non-standard parts still suck, even in the dev-kit context, because very little, if any of it, could be meaningfully re-purposed when the machine is no longer needed.

magimix fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ray tracing sucked me off???

Well... Did it? :colbert:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Ok Comboomer posted:

good

Firefox needs all the help it can get and I ain’t switching to safari for my windows/linux machine

The thing I wonder on that front - does Mozilla (the foundation?) still get a bunch of money from Google? I don't ask that question in the sense of questioning Mozilla, and the work on Firefox. Rather, I kind of fear Google doing a 'trapped animal' thing, and lashing out.

As much as I might occasionally gripe and moan about UX stuff I don't like, or whatever, there is absolutely no other browser I trust as much as Firefox, and it needs to survive.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

SlowBloke posted:

I don't want to poo poo in the comment section but the machines he used in the video don't rely on bios or smm for their tricks. They use the UEFI extensions to insert boot graphics with daystarter, much like the windows or ubuntu rotating loading indicator (ACPI BGRT). Neither of those two custom applications support unicode or emoji, you will get the usual squares.

The only way that'd be a 'poo poo' in the comment section is if you conveyed information in a lovely way. Which I don't think you'd do. He's quite open about the limitations of what he knows, be it from experience, or such information he was able to collate.

I like that he's up for trying to hypothesise, but crucially is also open about that, and the fact that yes, he'll get it wrong at times. Seriously. Post your thoughts there! Fundamentally, it is all super-interesting stuff for nerds to bliss out on, so more info, and more accurate info, is definitionally a plus.