Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
We're a family at this business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

Since Youtube changed to round the subscription count, because LTT has 10s of millions of subscribers it will only update to show changes of at least 100k. They have managed to lose at least 100k subscribers: https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/linustechtips

Not to be a buzz kill but when the precision is showing going from 15.6 mil to 15.5, without knowing exactly how YouTube is rounding, the possible number of lost subs could be anywhere from 1 (losing 1 sub when you have exactly 15,600,000) to 199,999 (losing 199,999 subs when you have exactly 15,699,999 subs. If I had more data of how many days it takes them to tick up 0.1 mil subs, it would be possible to make a much better estimate.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
If this was a large US corporation I would say now is the time they'd hire a big law firm to do an "independent investigation".

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh my god give it the gently caress up dude

if GN had actually done that you'd be in here whining about how Madison's situation was unrelated to problems with video production quality

And that the people they interviewed were rogue/disgruntled employees who couldn't hack it in the paradise that is LTT who are lying to make their bones

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Colton is head of business development. Which I presume is mostly dealing with sponsors.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Worth noting that Chong rose to prominence by being an early adopter of gamergate. Also like others have said he's one of Musk's hand picked twitter blue payees so he has been posting like crazy trying to get eyeballs. He's even doing the milquetoast open ended question tweets that tends to get a lot of engagement when posted by others.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Linus & leadership comes off a lot like both an old abusive manager of mine and also the manager above him.
[...]

Yeah that is the textbook DARVO: Deny, Attack, and Reverse Victim and Offender.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
That the new CEO hadn't yet made any big changes in upper leadership/creative to have people he selected certainly bodes poorly. Give everyone worth keeping (i.e Luke) the smallest amount of equity in exchange for becoming Exec Vice Presidents with no reports.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Vic posted:

Part of me really hates reading some takes about LTT because I see them as a bunch of extremely successful bumbling idiots who would totally ignore or downplay what Madison's talking about.

And don't hate it because we need loving Linus Tech Tips or whatever, it's just this exasperation of me realizing how common this kinda stuff must be and how backwards we really are at calling this stuff out before it becomes someone's trauma.

Something I realized from following pro wrestlers and twitch streamers is that the kind of person who floats to the top in both industries will tend to have the just world fallacy and libertarian/right leanings imprinted on their brains. Very rarely consider their luck or privilege.

They're at the top because they are a unique and singular genius who has the work ethic and drive that the others don't: their success is proof of that. And even if they haven't internally or externally formulated those opinions, it takes one call out on their behavior/actions to surface them. Others lash out at even mild criticism because they realize how precarious their success is.

So don't worry, if your favorite internet person isn't doing that stuff now, there is a good chance you'll live long enough to see it happen.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

Yes! There are a ton of trade-tubers in general.

For a while I was watching a small concrete company's YouTube channel. Concrete with the Hauses. Kind of the natural evolution of watching lawn care/lawn mowing/power washing channels.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Gros Tarla posted:

I live in Quebec and forced air is not at all the norm.

Most people have baseboard electric resistive heaters.
I assume this is because Hydro Quebec electricity is cheap as poo poo. I grew up in a part of the US where a lot of electric providers bought power from Hydro Quebec (and as a result had electric rates that were among the lowest in the US). So pretty much everyone used electric baseboard heat. Although in the 90s a natural gas pipeline was run and a lot do folks switched.

In the neighboring communities that didn't have low electric rates, the norm was some manner of natural gas or fuel oil furnace. I even knew a bunch of families who heated with wood or wood pellets.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

priznat posted:

I watched a RCR recently after not seeing one for ages and it got weird. I don’t remember them being that off kilter lol.

Brian (Mr Regular) came out of the closet in 2021 at the age of 40 and he's been working through some stuff. His coming out video "Learning to Be Gay" was really touching, but content warning for suicide/self harm.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I don't get the impression Madison is planning on suing LMG, unless there was a tweet or something I missed. I'm guessing that unless she has someone willing to represent her cheaply or for free, she probably can't afford a lawyer (I am not an expert on how these sorts of things work in the legal system, Canadian or otherwise).

BC has a human rights tribunal that covers employment discrimination. But it looks like the complaint should be made within 1 year of the conduct/event.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
The pay talk got me thinking that the Labs folks probably make 2-2.5x the pay of all the "just happy to be here" cohort, if not more.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
The TV guy from Labs who hasn't been on the channel much was one of the lead technical people from RTings. And he did a lot of on camera stuff for RTings. RTings is based in Montreal so they would have had to move cross country.

https://ca.linkedin.com/in/brandon-dickerson

Edit: The audio guy also came from RTings. https://ca.linkedin.com/in/samvafaei

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 30, 2023

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Koskun posted:

Those were just the people I recognized. I couldn't easily fine Dan's linkedin (like Twitter, can't search unless you have an account).

This looks to be him: https://ca.linkedin.com/in/daniel-b-6139411b9

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I think it's reasonable to throw out the first run ensuring the caches are warmed up because that is largely going to be the experience of someone playing a game. They not testing CPUs and GPUs in the abstract, they're testing them for suitability/value in playing 3D accelerated games and to a smaller extent productivity tasks like decompression and 3D rendering.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Again rebooting many times an hour is not a quality of normal computer use and it wouldn't be representative to test that way.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is more of a general computing question: are there versions of Bluetooth like there are versions of wifi?

If yes, what does Bluetooth n+1 get you? More bandwidth? More range? For that matter, what IS the effective data bandwidth of Bluetooth?

For most people the newer versions of Bluetooth are useful because they bring Bluetooth Low Energy. A generally more efficient and less battery consuming protocol vs classic Bluetooth. It was introduced as part of BT 4.0.

Edit: Beyond that the newer versions have support for newer better audio codecs.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

Rossman is a chud on everything that isn’t Right to Repair, and the worst kind of New Hampshire carpetbagger. You shouldn’t watch him, full stop

Agree. Every time I try to watch him apropos of very little he will start complaining about NYC crime or crime in city XYZ. That tells me all I need to know about his worldview.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Keep the government out of my business but force other businesses to sell me parts. Right to repair is good, but he's only invested in it because it affected his repair business.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Authority comes from view count. Nothing else counts.

Edit: Although I would love to see a list of channels who turned LMG down for a crossover.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 2, 2023

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
In the case of the SNES, the plastic and flame retardant in the plastic oxidizes with exposure to air. More details: http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
There are serious journalism type reviewers who will either only buy items from retail to test, or if they get a review sample return it to the manufacturer. But those kids of folks seem to be few and far between. And the computer and electronics manufacturers know the devices and phones they give away to "review" will curry favor. Computer and phone manufacturers, somehow more corrupt than other consumer focused industries.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
The FTC is clear that receiving anything of value has to be disclosed. https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/resources/disclosures-101-social-media-influencers And I think most competition and commerce regulators outside the US do too. Shame that there have been relatively few enforcement actions by the FTC besides big name celebs.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
A while back I watched a YouTube clip of an old DC cartoon and it took months to stop having 20% of my recommendations be 3-5 minute clips from animated TV shows. And like others said I watch YT on my Chromecast Google TV where there is no way to avoid it. At this point I'm in the habit of deleting stuff from my watch history and using "don't recommend channel" a couple times a week.

As far as what I'm watching. I've gotten really into a channel where a guy buys retro server equipment from the 90s to mid 00s and gets it working again.

https://youtube.com/@clabretro

Playlist with his series on Sun servers:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjeznAUfx0OfCseO3gKOvEjw3oHgHLRlK&si=fe5td64VS-xpJcW1

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I'm currently on a 7.99 USD/month rate grandfathered from Play Music, did they say if that price is going up?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Being an ineffective nonprofit is much different from a fraudulent/unlawfully acting nonprofit. It's very embarrassing for him to not have dispersed a large portion of the holding, but not illegal. Doesn't sound like self dealing or self enrichment. At best we're talking about administrative action by the IRS to lose tax exempt status.

It's why these days everyone uses Tiltify because they immediately pass the donation to the affiliated nonprofit.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
It looks like Microsoft is going to be following Chrome on Manifest V3.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/extensions-chromium/developer-guide/manifest-v3

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I think that the Mozilla Foundation has problems with most of their funding coming from Google Search default and spending a lot of time, money and attention on things that are not Firefox, like AI.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

In Edge there’s a function to convert the webpage you’re looking at into an app you can pin to your taskbar. It looks and functions like a dedicated app.

If there is a little install icon in the URL bar that's a progressive web app (PWA) and all chromium browsers do that. I assume Safari and Firefox do as well.

PWAs have the ability to launch while offline and other stuff that was previously only possible with extensions. PWAs coming into existence was why Chromium app extensions went away (only ChromeOS still supports them).

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAExoSozc2c

Agreed

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I think there was also difficulty hitting high/full MHz with sodimm RAM, but the CAMM2 standard should solve those problems.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I'm hoping the EU mandates for cell phone repairability will go into effect sooner rather than later.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Can I throw in a recommendation for C Lab Retro?
He works primarily with turn-of-the-millennia enterprise gear (although he also has newer stuff in his homelab rack), and also the occasional dive into home entertainment and distributing signals across cable TV in the home.
The most interesting thing he's done is the Sun Ray series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BW-mbC7Xag

Big fan of clabretro.

Also very good in the same kind of way is The Serial Port. https://youtube.com/@theserialport . Their documentary on the PIX Firewall was great.

https://youtu.be/GLrfqtf4txw

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Come for the crazy hacky HP bullshit, stay for the rant about how we're at the end of technological history and invention is dead.

There is a reason HP split into two companies -- so that the profitable company could drop the consumer product lines. When it comes to HPE server hardware design still has problems to solve and nice big margins.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Wait, what did Rossman do? Full Chud conversion? Bumhole toucher? Tore one of those mattress tags off?

I have watched very little of him, but I believe it's him being a small business tyrant, constantly complaining about NYC taxes and then during COVID started to do lots of stuff complaining about the homeless in NYC. Also some anti vax stuff and publicly claiming his business wouldn't comply with what he claimed was NYC mandating vaccines for business (?????). Then he moved to NH for his freedoms. Probably full on libertarian brainworms on the treadmill to right wing psycho. Basically he's only right about right to repair issues and I assume everything else he believes is a poo poo show. And even the right to repair stuff is very self centered because he needs a part supply and pairing tools to repair Apples products, what I assume was previously his most profitable repair work.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
That's pretty much the procedure with the iFixIt parts and guide for my Pixel phone. Except instead of an over-engineered heater block, it uses a tubular heating pad to soften the glue, a suction cup ring to start separating, and a guitar pick/playing card to cut the adhesive.. The adhesive replacement is nearly identical as well. I like the look of Apple'sadhesive cutting tool that limits the depth of the cut as not to damage any of the ribbon cables, but a tool with a lip isn't particularly novel.