Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

redeyes posted:

He was super dumb posting that. Maybe Canada is different in terms of BSA.

To be fair, the BSA is basically extortion via the power of EULA provisions of dubious legality and enforce-ability. A lot of countries don't have it, because the underlying contract law doesn't support 'do what we say or we'll bankrupt you with legal fees'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

mewse posted:

From what I understand the license agreement gives them the permission to audit you, so if you don't comply with the audit then you are violating the software license and they sue

In some states they've ruled that clickwrap software EULAs are non-binding and generally unenforceable, so it would be really interesting to have someone in those states tell them "rear end in a top hat Software Inc. vs. Joe Q. Public says that your agreement I have to sign is worth less then the toilet paper I use to wipe my rear end, so kindly go gently caress yourselves".

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

HDR video is supposed to follow a strict PQ EOTF, which means that if the video metadata says that a pixel is supposed to be X brightness, your display is supposed to display it at that exact brightness. Brighter HDR screens in theory just mean they can output a larger range of brightness, not that all content will be brighter. Phones are different though, and there's no way to have an 'accurate' setting. Brightness is set by the user, and you can absolutely blow out some retinas if the content is mastered to be way too bright and the brightness setting on your phone is set high.

It's the lovely HDR equivalent of commercials being 20% louder than regular TV.