Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

just gotta decide if this is the face of a man who hosed a tree

He is totally using a matijuana leaf as hat decoration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

a fatguy baldspot posted:

that’s Verlaro, the god of the common man, who is lazy af and outshone by his badass sister

For some reason, i thought Hyalor had the Man Rune but it looks like its a Mastery Rune.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Tormented posted:

For some reason, i thought Hyalor had the Man Rune but it looks like its a Mastery Rune.

fun fact, one of the troll gods has a man rune but they may interpret it as food

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So, I am playing this game, often with mixed results. Is there any sort of idiots guide to chances of success for certain actions and what you can do to set certain maneuvers up for success?

Particularly diplomacy seems opaque to me and how many herds/cows you offer up for different things.

Even more frustratingly, I have tried 3 rituals now, twice on the fording the river one which is supposed to be easiest. Consistently failed. I sacrificed about 20 goods/herds each time and picked a leader good at diplomacy and combat, as advised. Is it just bad luck?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

i actually find the river ritual to be one of the trickiest, and elmal guards the sunpath is way easier. best advice for rituals in general, but especially the river one, is to pick options that correspond with your questers best skills. 20 cows/goods is fine for a sacrifice, maybe more if you can’t get anybody to support it, and make sure you are putting as many points as possible into ritual during sacred time.

your circle will sometimes provide you with proper amounts for gifts and stuff. if they don’t, my rule of thumb is: 5+ for a event gift to help diplomacy, 10+ if it’s an apology or something, 15+ for gift giving missions, 20+ and way more if you want to end a feud or do something big. diplomacy is also more about follow up and regularity more than size of gifts unless you can afford to make it really rain. so a gift giving mission of 5-10 cows/goods a couple years in a row feels more powerful than one big gift.

also back to the sacred time magic allocation: it’s insanely important. one point in an area doesn’t have much effect, but it seems to scale so 2 and 3 points are incredibly effective. and they influence a lot more than you’d think - 3 points in war will have you saving slaves, fighting bandits, killing elves etc in events as well as actual raids, and with 3 in rituals your shamans and priests will have a much easier time rousing spirits to divine things, find people, call upon the gods in times of emergency etc.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Resurrecting a long-dead thread to say: Six Ages 2 has a release date now! August 21

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

Resurrecting a long-dead thread to say: Six Ages 2 has a release date now! August 21

Holy poo poo good. I've been hankering ever since I finished The Dandelion Dynasty

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Woo! What platforms?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Steam and ios.

Release date trailer while I'm here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ImWihO2wL8

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

cheetah7071 posted:

fuuuuck yesss

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

I've had this thread bookmarked for this exact reason. thank you kind goon and hell yeah I love this game

I switched phones and lost my saves so it's a good time to replay and refamiliarize myself

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hell yeah finally. And I’m not forced to buy it on iOS for the first year!

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Five days until the lights go out 😱

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I failed my first run as my Beren died during an Elmal ritual. I had ceremony venture, 2 in ritual and 2 in war. I got popped out of the God's War and ended up with the falling dragon event. I prayed to Elmal and got smooshed

second run had my Beren fail to woo the Rams and went on to murder other Beren

10/10 I love this game

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
we did it fam got a completion on normal. I'm now familiar enough to flail about next week

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I failed my first run as my Beren died during an Elmal ritual. I had ceremony venture, 2 in ritual and 2 in war. I got popped out of the God's War and ended up with the falling dragon event. I prayed to Elmal and got smooshed

second run had my Beren fail to woo the Rams and went on to murder other Beren

10/10 I love this game

I recently had a dead run happen and at the marriage between other Beren and Redalda i decided to see what happens if you side with the ram killers and surprise attack the wedding with them.

Turns out nobody liked me after that and I lost my Fire Child war leader in the process :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Lights Going Out is now released on IOS if you preordered! Don't think it's quite out yet on Steam though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Shame Boy posted:

Lights Going Out is now released on IOS if you preordered! Don't think it's quite out yet on Steam though.

holy poo poo i'm excited

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Soon.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
it just hit my iphone this morning, the interface seems different then i remember from the previous games

pumped to play through the end of the world!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
first ritual my hero gets merked. ah Glorantha why are you so dangerous

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I started playing last night thinking "i'll do a few turns then go to bed" and i ended up playing basically all the way through to what i assume to be close to the end of the 3 generation length game. Ending in a loss sadly but this game gets real good yall!

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Wasn't this supposed to be an expansion that I get for free?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Pewdiepie posted:

Wasn't this supposed to be an expansion that I get for free?

It’s a whole new game but it will apparently let you load a Six Ages save in to start.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
I didn't find the option to bring in a save from the previous game but it's probably for the best. I don't think things are going to work out for the quickly thrown together Blazing Saddles clan.

So far it's the same game as the previous one but certainly feels harder. Exploration is racking up a body count and it's a struggle to keep up the herds. The tides are rising and I'm staying afloat by bargaining with cheese. Feels like playing a regular dwarf in someone else's Dwarf Fortress game.

This reminded me that I actually only played through the previous game once since I got lucky and got a victory the first time around. I should explore that game more.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Promontory posted:

I didn't find the option to bring in a save from the previous game but it's probably for the best. I don't think things are going to work out for the quickly thrown together Blazing Saddles clan.

So far it's the same game as the previous one but certainly feels harder. Exploration is racking up a body count and it's a struggle to keep up the herds. The tides are rising and I'm staying afloat by bargaining with cheese. Feels like playing a regular dwarf in someone else's Dwarf Fortress game.

This reminded me that I actually only played through the previous game once since I got lucky and got a victory the first time around. I should explore that game more.

weird I had the option to import my latest six ages save just below the main options. I 100% agree this harder but tbf this is the age of darkness and poo poo going wrong. so I think it's about managing a bunch of spinning plates while scorpion people are stabbing you

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I've got the game downloaded and I can't wait to play it. Too bad I'm about to go traveling in a few days, I don't think I can finish a run in a couple of days and I don't want to interrupt the game for two weeks.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I'm not entirely sure if the little prologue bit with your King's dad counts as one of the generations in the 3 generation length game. Because my game ended in lose around the time all my important clan people's kids were reaching adulthood and considering what the game throws at you by that point. Either i had died right at the end or poo poo was about to get EVEN HARDER for the kiddos, which is a bit ridiculous to think about.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
This game makes for some fantastic LPs, hope someone makes one eventually. Bonus points if the person knows lots of Glorantha lore to explain stuff along the way.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
RE: SA1 saves, go into Controls on the main menu, and you pick the SA1 save directory there. It's...not an intuitive place for it to be, at all, but that's where it is.

But my save did show up immediately after I did that, so hey, it works.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

The Shame Boy posted:

I'm not entirely sure if the little prologue bit with your King's dad counts as one of the generations in the 3 generation length game. Because my game ended in lose around the time all my important clan people's kids were reaching adulthood and considering what the game throws at you by that point. Either i had died right at the end or poo poo was about to get EVEN HARDER for the kiddos, which is a bit ridiculous to think about.

It doesn't. If people playing this think it's bad at the start? Well, the game does a very good job of making it worse and worse and worse. And when you think it can't even any worse than that? That's when it goes completely to poo poo.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Miss Mowcher posted:

This game makes for some fantastic LPs, hope someone makes one eventually. Bonus points if the person knows lots of Glorantha lore to explain stuff along the way.

Even people who know lots of Glorantha lore can't help too much with the Six Ages games since these areas of history are so uncovered in the lore publications that the game is making it up as they go along.

Although to be fair, so did King Of Dragon Pass as there had never actually been a published account of what exactly hero questing was like before the game came out.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

fez_machine posted:

Even people who know lots of Glorantha lore can't help too much with the Six Ages games since these areas of history are so uncovered in the lore publications that the game is making it up as they go along.

Although to be fair, so did King Of Dragon Pass as there had never actually been a published account of what exactly hero questing was like before the game came out.

One of the things the last game did is establish what it was like pre-time. That is, humans live according to natural cycles that they experience as seasons and years, post-death entering the world, but areas and cultures do not match in what is going on. Time is an equalization of these cycles across the whole world so that everything can only happen one way from now on.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Games good:

Eurmal never changes...

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Issaries posted:

Games good:

Eurmal never changes...

As was written long ago, in the sacred texts (I. E. the old kodp lets play)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I like the game a lot. It does seem a little rail-roaded since there's loads of characters that are in every playthrough (Kerenna, Redala, Hanth, Sereden etc etc.) but they also all seem to have story beats to them specifically, or their kids maybe? One thing I've noticed though is that holy poo poo it's hard to get food. I spend half the year desperately trying ventures and trading for food to stay afloat, even with shrines and blessings devoted to more food.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Grow your herds! Grow them! Every year! If you have less than what you did last year, you are failing! If they say you have enough, or even too much, they are liars!

Also, spirits really, really help. Especially the heron spirit, who can give you both immediate food and lasting food when used and can be used in every season but dark. Other good ones are the berry, which only gives you immediate food and not in storm either, the cheese (yes, cheese) which makes your herds give more food and the earthworm, which makes your fields more fertile.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

This was my best option. Feels good to be back.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

NewMars posted:

As was written long ago, in the sacred texts (I. E. the old kodp lets play)

I'm mad that Elmal isn't a bigger thing in the tabletop games.
They're all about Yelmalio or little Yelm and he sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Issaries posted:

I'm mad that Elmal isn't a bigger thing in the tabletop games.
They're all about Yelmalio or little Yelm and he sucks.

The devs have made their stance on that bit clear.