Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

I should have bought it from the JP store...

I wonder if they’re going to make me wait until 12pm Pacific time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I may update this with pictures and whatnot when I get around to it / figure out how to do ipad screenshots.

Spoilers are at my discretion, let me know if you think I wasn't conservative enough with them.

KODP VET'S QUICK MECHANICS TIPS FOR SIX AGES: RIDE LIKE THE WIND: EPIC FANTASY MEANS FANTASY ABOUT HORSES

Edit: Step Negative One: There is an ingame manual and it is good. It may interfere slightly with blundering into knowledge, though - I certainly haven't read all of it. :toot:
Step Zero: punch Controls and make sure tips are on. They should be by default. If you've played KODP, you probably don't need the ingame tutorial, but it's actually pretty good.

This overview will assume you have a basic familiarity with KODP mechanics.

CLAN CREATION NOTES:

- Nyalda is the best. Not particularly for any mechanics reason, she's just !Ernalda and both flavors of Ernalda own.
- The "which god did you bring" decision is pretty opaque and as far as I can tell pretty minor.
- If an unexpected clanwipe would make you snap your tablet in half, don't play this game TAKE EITHER ONE OR UNLIMITED RESTORES. There are elements in this game that are less forgiving than KODP. (:stonk:)
- :siren: you can go back and change any of your decisions before actually starting the clan :siren:

CLAN RING NOTES:
- If you don't have all seven families represented when possible (you'll start off with all of them, but it might be a suboptimal skill / deity / age setup), you'll get grumpiness and grumpy events that seem to get a bit worse with time. :siren: The game will tell you if you fill your ring but don't have all available families represented.
- If you don't have seven different cults, you're missing out on some magic, some ritual boosts, and some advice, but it's not crippling.
- Raven is the Eurmal-equivalent, but more explicitly creepy and horrible and better-integrated. You still get the extra magic points most of the time, though, except for when you don't. Shamen are great - they generally have a ton of magic skill, they're probably the single most event-useful cult, and they also help keep your spirit bonuses running with minimal time investment.

- Ventures are a New Thing and a Big Deal - you get one per year to start and they let you boost something or other in a substantial way. Your crucial early game ventures are, roughly in order: expand fields, clear pastures, finish houses, and the house-related followups. Finished houses will make your clan significantly happier and allow multiple ventures per year.

MAGIC:
- :siren: Make sure your temples start with a blessing turned on, if a fix for this didn't make it into live.
- Busenari is the Uralda-equivalent, for cows. Uryarda is baby Busenari, for goats. Ekarna does trade, Pela has your one crop blessing.
- You use your spirits from the second column in Magic - first is the Gods list, second is the Spirits list. Spirits cost nothing to trigger except time, unless you want to boost their output or success chance. Keep all your useful ones rolling.

MAP:
- The map's hella bigger than KODP. You can't even reach the edges in your first expedition in a direction.
- Rivers matter. There's a special ritual (heroquest) that helps deal with them.
- Exploring your tula is still a good idea.
- The Explore button also lets you search for spirits, forage for food, and (if you have a hyalor blessing up) tame wild horsies.

RELATIONS:
- Your advisors will let you know about bonuses from sending emissaries (and traders) to all the [X} clans in the region.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 28, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
also i'm really, really looking forward to you folks trickling into the midgame :allears:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

adhuin posted:

Your ancestors were hostile to the Dragons and didn’t buy enough copies of Kodp for PC.

I'm heroquesting to change this.

e: didn't research the myths enough and now I'm worried I erased KoDP for PCs too.

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!
"figure out how to do ipad screenshots."

On my Ipad Air 2 it's pressing both physical buttons at the same time. (the round front one and the thin top one)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

I'm heroquesting to change this.

e: didn't research the myths enough and now I'm worried I erased KoDP for PCs too.

I still have my original CD. I kept the faith! why have you forsaken me?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I hope this gets ten gajillion preorders / first day buys.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Oh drat I got super excited before realising it was iOS only... People still use iOS?
Any way to emulate this on Android or PC?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Despite its mobile first issue, I hope RPS reps it. There still hasn't been any game of KoDP 's like. It's fertile ground for procedural narrative beyond just recycled dungeon tilesets and randomized enemy placement. So annoyed I'm broke right now. Give me all the vicarious enjoyment goons.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BurningBeard posted:

Despite its mobile first issue, I hope RPS reps it. There still hasn't been any game of KoDP 's like. It's fertile ground for procedural narrative beyond just recycled dungeon tilesets and randomized enemy placement. So annoyed I'm broke right now. Give me all the vicarious enjoyment goons.

They're at least paying attention!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/06/08/six-ages-gameplay-trailer-relase-date/

quote:

While the Windows and Mac version of the game won’t be released until 2019, the iOS version (guess who ordered a new Android phone just hours ago…) will be out on June 28th, so I’ll just be here, fuming with jealousy at iThing owners for the next few months.

lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

2019.... gently caress

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Oh drat I got super excited before realising it was iOS only... People still use iOS?
Any way to emulate this on Android or PC?

You can emulate it on a mac

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

goferchan posted:

You can emulate it on a mac

a what?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ChikoDemono posted:

I should have bought it from the JP store...

I wonder if they’re going to make me wait until 12pm Pacific time.

If it's rolling out in other app stores already I expect an overnight release in the US

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I'm really tempted to choose that my clan was known for being the most dissatisfied people.

Is it just a big negative or what does it do?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

goferchan posted:

If it's rolling out in other app stores already I expect an overnight release in the US

it appears to be time zone based, yep - when i brought it up in betachat david said it was out in germany

adhuin posted:

I'm really tempted to choose that my clan was known for being the most dissatisfied people.

Is it just a big negative or what does it do?

oh poo poo i forgot to add a thing to my creation notes

:siren: you can go back and change any of your decisions before actually starting the clan :siren:

now, if you click through that choice, it says "your ancestors were much happier in their new clan", so maybe it's a general mood boost, which ain't half bad? maybe it makes it easier to bring in other weirdos?

edit: I checked out the manual! Which is a thing that exists, and I forgot to add to my basicpost. looks like my mood guess was probably correct and you get something else too - it says my frequent choice, Good Magicians, gives extra starting magic and an extra spirit

double edit: word is the release may be midnight EST for American users

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 28, 2018

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Duckburg has been founded.

We had few good years and thought we were the hottest poo poo.

Then the Brolanthi came and hosed our poo poo.
gently caress Brolanthi and their stupid rams!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

out in the US!!!!! i have a slow lonely bar shift to work tonight so this is the best news ever, I thought I'd be waiting til midnight Cupertino time at least

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

goferchan posted:

out in the US!!!!! i have a slow lonely bar shift to work tonight so this is the best news ever, I thought I'd be waiting til midnight Cupertino time at least

may hyalor guide the steps of our horses :toot:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I started playing KoDP in middle school and I got my first win a few weeks ago, so like 15 years later? Bet I can beat Six Ages in half the time :cool: I've been reading the manual for 20 minutes now and haven't started clan creation yet lol. It's SUPER informative and I absolutely recommend everyone check it out

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The new map/exploration setup sounds so much better. I never had any loving clue how exploration worked in Dragon Pass, I'd just explore my own Tula until I stopped finding poo poo and then send people out to landmarks whenever my Ancestors bitched at me to do so during sacred time. Exploring strange lands always seemed like it should have been one of the most exciting aspects of the game but it was always a little too abstracted and confusing

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Love the new combat.

AAAAAAHHHHHHH I AM PLAYING A KODP SEQUEL.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
it turns out when you're not playing as them, the people whose chief god is the god of gently caress YOU I'LL KILL ANYONE WHO TRIES TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO are some annoying sons of bitches

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it turns out when you're not playing as them, the people whose chief god is the god of gently caress YOU I'LL KILL ANYONE WHO TRIES TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO are some annoying sons of bitches

Yeah lol the Orlanthi are in their loving prime whenever this is set, good god

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

adhuin posted:

Duckburg has been founded.

We had few good years and thought we were the hottest poo poo.

Then the Brolanthi came and hosed our poo poo.
gently caress Brolanthi and their stupid rams!

possibly meaningful plot spoilers, from someone who has not actually won despite a two week head start

i've actually never founded a town

did you do it super early?

also nobody in the thread is yet screaming about the thing i expected screams about, but they're whining about the orlanthi, i'm starting to wonder what i did wrong

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 28, 2018

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

That’s just my clan-name. I’ve played maybe 7 years so far.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

adhuin posted:

That’s just my clan-name. I’ve played maybe 7 years so far.

:mad:

yeah, rams and wheels are jerks

i don't actually know if it's possible to found a town

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 28, 2018

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Got it. gently caress yes bad decisions!
Exploration and combat both are way better.

Rams are douchebags.

I think wheels are worse.

they blinded a kid and he burned himself on a funeral pyre in shame.

Glorantha is metal as always.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:cheers: *raises a glass of strong, fermented horse milk to you*

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

This game is loving awesome. I still can't believe I'm playing a KoDP sequel.... the new interface stuff and the new way combat works are all so good too

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Btw if anyone is looking for an easy Otherside Ritual to do to get the gods off of your dick, I managed to pull off Busenari's without even using one of her worshippers, just a chick with Excellent leadership and Very Good food skills. I'm sure there's some way it can go horribly wrong but it seems a lot less dangerous than other stories. Also the other clans who agreed to help out were really pleased with me for succeeding, and the clans who DIDN'T agree to help out felt like dumbasses for not pitching in and stopped mocking me, which was kind of a cool touch.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

goferchan posted:

Btw if anyone is looking for an easy Otherside Ritual to do to get the gods off of your dick, I managed to pull off Busenari's without even using one of her worshippers, just a chick with Excellent leadership and Very Good food skills. I'm sure there's some way it can go horribly wrong but it seems a lot less dangerous than other stories. Also the other clans who agreed to help out were really pleased with me for succeeding, and the clans who DIDN'T agree to help out felt like dumbasses for not pitching in and stopped mocking me, which was kind of a cool touch.

The elmal on the path one didn’t seem too hard either.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Just no more loving RNG-heroquests

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

i also didn't have much trouble with the (easier) river ritual. I'm surprised at how well things are going so far honestly for my first run! Also oh man Raven is way more hosed up than Eurmal :stare:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

When you plunder other clans you can steal their treasures. Sadly shitlord trolls can steal your treasure and you can't raid them back.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Can someone explain battles to me? I see the "power bar" on the lower part of the screen, but the options seem to work or not more or less at random.

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!
The manual explains what the individual options do.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

JanPospisil posted:

The manual explains what the individual options do.

Yeah, and it's very unhelpful about how everything works, mechanically. I'm losing skirmish battles with twice as many bows, failing to stop rituals either with early charges or shooting arrows, and suddenly turning losing battles around while fighting conservatively and being hopelessly outnumbered.

So far it seems as opaque as KoDP, but with 5 more steps.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The thinga that definitely seem to hold for me are that if you hear your warleader is better you should mash "fight cleverly" and if you have significant numerical superiority you should at least consider aggression because the other guys might just plain run out of dudes.

The other stuff definitely has more of an rng element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
I am so happy I can talk about this game in public now. :-) There is definitely a rhythm to battles, but it does take a bit of getting used to. Some of the tricks from the original, such as charging to disrupt rituals, matter in the new scheme of things. It is sometimes very possible to turn around a battle that was going badly based on a choice of tactics. When given the choice to “press the attack,“ I typically always do so.

BlindGuy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 28, 2018