Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

TriffTshngo posted:

Hot take: It's perfect, because it's terrible. It should be terrible. DMC battle music has always been terrible. Devil Trigger is a weird outlier.

Dante absolutely listens to this because he is a garbage cool uncle who owns a motorcycle, has never seen more than fifty dollars in his life and has never ever gotten laid or done drugs.

It's perfect because I was attracted to these games as a dumbshit 13 year old and things that I found cool then are part of the charm of the series for me, the dumber the better. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Whenever Devil Trigger is not playing, there is a repeated loop of Itsuno asking "where's Devil Trigger?"

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Balrog already looks so much more fun to use than Gilgamesh was, I am impossibly hyped.

As for V, I'm skeptical but then I remember that Itsuno did make Dragon's Dogma and the spellcasting in that game was off the loving chain.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Wrist Watch posted:

Wait this is literally just the breakdance move from bayonetta lmao

Dante is determined to be the sexiest action hero in gaming drat it.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oh believe me I'm aware. The biggest reason I got into the series was because 13 year old me really had to justify his fascination with the series to himself

I do like how Itsuno is willing to take things from other series. If I remember right he outright stole a handful of Vergil's moves in DMC4SE from the Vergil dlc of the reboot (just charged judgement cuts, the aerial and ground combos for Yamato and the way rapid slash works are lifted straight from there. Honestly I kind of dug the idea of the two series working in parallel and giving each other ideas but I must say I'm much happier with what we've got right now)

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
THey did it, they made Dante a gay cowboy and it's incredible

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Well yeah, you seen the goober try and use the first one? Keeps aiming it at his drat feet

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tbNAJVnDFo
Same demo area as before but a few more arms in action. Nero looks fun as gently caress to play as, wow.

e: cripes the buster arm does not gently caress around :catstare:

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 7, 2018

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Nero also just straight up has an unused button on the controller so I could see them just putting Devil Trigger on that

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I still can't get over his sandals, which immediately shoot him into "lovable goofball" territory.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Being cheesy is literally the only part of the demon slaying game that Dante respects.

Well that and having maudlin family issues. It's how he came to respect Nero and Lady after all.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

also i'd contend that they're easier since you don't have to worry about s ranks or anything you just need to get through to the end of them

edit: or did you? man, it's been a while since i did all that

Nope, gotta get the "1st" ranking in all of them. It's not even all that much better than the Muramasa anyway.

I'm hoping that the secret missions in this one are less bullshit than the ones in 4. Honestly I feel like DmC probably had the least bullshit secret missions in the series, both in terms of finding them were structured and how most of them played. As much as we mocked the whole "finding something means you can get an SSS rank on the category forever" mechanic it ended up being a lot less of a pain in the rear end than collecting useless red orbs every time you played a mission in 4.

e: that is sort of a design ethos difference though: the main games have a jump that's perfect for combat but makes for some of the worst platforming imaginable, while the reboot has decent secret hunting and platforming but the standard jump is basically useless in combat.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 20, 2018

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
DmC is a weird game because the best/most fun run is unquestionably the Son of Sparda ng+ run because you're still unlocking upgrades and you've got a full arsenal to play with and just enough challenge to not get bored, and then it falls flat on its face with the Dante Must Die run afterwards.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Part of me is kinda bummed that Hellblade didn't have combat similar to DmC's because Vergil's Downfall and then the SE showed that they were learning and I kinda wanted to see where they went with it: it didn't feel much like a DMC game but I kinda liked how zippy nu-Dante felt and how many options he had at any given point, even if some were kinda redundant and made some weapons feel less useful as a result.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Everything I see about V makes him look more fun to play, I've always liked to hang back and be methodical whenever a game allowed it (or stop thinking and go for rushdown characters: I am a land of contrasts) and for a character action game to encourage it looks really interesting and fun. It looks like both of the core summons have really good crowd-control options too

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Also apparently Nightmare can finish off enemies without V needing to Poke of God enemies with his cane so that's another plus of his Devil Trigger (you can also choose to either let Nightmare run amok-not sure if he can finish enemies in that state- or directly control him)

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
https://twitter.com/etdragonpunch/status/1082076447504658432

This might just be distortion from the charged gunshots but I got into this series because Dante starts 3 coming out of the shower shirtless and drat it I want to believe.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
https://twitter.com/VG247/status/1082445531937427456
loving BOO!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Also I've seen the air violin taunt posted but not this vid that also has another, just as good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YBOzGktPc4

V is such a colossal dork and I love him :allears: If you can taunt and still have your summons do poo poo this is going to be the greatest game ever made