Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Sidekick
Sep 14, 2013

Voice box, electric mistress, freeze tube zipper?

Robot Sidekick fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
trying my hand at some homebrew after some discussion on a discord

quote:

Gladiator Occupation
Gladiatoral combat is widespread in Glorantha, as both a form of entertainment and ritual sacrifice. A famous gladiator is revered as a heroic figure by many, and straddle the line between entertainer and warrior. The Slave-Gladiators of Fonrit’s Fighting Pillars, Bloodsport Champions in the Kingdom of Ignorance, the Safelstran Avatar Duelists that fight fake matches as rituals, worldly martial artists in Kralorea, Lunar champions of Natha and the undefeated Puppeteer Troupe’s flamboyant boxer only known as Babyface are all examples of Gladiators in Glorantha.

Esoteric Weaponry
Gladiators frequently use individualized and eccentric weaponry to make their performances more interesting. Rather than pick off a list, pick 3 weapons (counting shields and Martial Arts as weapons) to be your weapons for the purposes of skills. Classic choices include Trident and Net, dual-wielding blades and unarmed combat techniques, although cultural and religiously significant weapons are popular.

Occupational Skills: Esoteric Weapons +30%, Orate+20%, Intimidate+15% Insight (Human)+10%, Ride Chariot+20%, Battle +10%.

Favored Passions: Honor, Loyalty (Fans) or Hate (Boss).

Typical Cults: Humakt, Orlanth Adventurous, Seven Mothers (particularly Danfive Xaron or Yarnafal Tarnils), Zorak Zoran, Shargash, Artmal, other gods of Death, Luck or Fate

Living Standards: independent Gladiators are Free, Slaves are Poor.

Ransom: 500 L.
Equipment: Ornate Heavy Armor covering 4 different hit locations (Absorb 5, ENC 1 per limb, 2 for others, Greaves, Chest and Abdomen give -15 Move Quietly each), chosen weapons, 1d4 distinctive scars, 30L in coins, gifts from fans worth 3d100L.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

NewMars posted:

There's a caveat to this though, explicitly noted: Ernalda is in many ways a motherhood goddess, including having specific aspects for this. As they cannot give birth (at least without some serious heroquesting-level magic) Nandan cultists cannot initiate to these aspects, or learn the mysteries or gain the magic associated with this.

Better late than never, I guess, but I want to throw out a note on this. This will be addressed in the upcoming Gods of Glorantha book. Nandan provides a rune spell which allows someone to become pregnant and carry a child, even if not capable of doing it normally, due to unsuitable organs, being infertile etc.

Robot Sidekick
Sep 14, 2013

Voice box, electric mistress, freeze tube zipper?

Robot Sidekick fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 12, 2020

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I don't think he had a reason, I'm pretty sure he was around when the moon went up and swore to stand on it for no real reason, and then peloria was on the warpath after he couldn't kill Godunya.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Is there any canonical stuff about how the Lunar Empire interacts with the Western Henotheist / Monotheist / Atheist traditions and cultures? Obviously the Empire wants to eventually integrate their cultures into the Lunar Way, but the Empire's kind of separated from direct contact with the West by Dorastor and the remnants of the Syndic's Ban, so it's not as pressing as the ongoing theological struggles in Sartar or the Holy Country. I'm guessing at least some of the attempts are similar to how the Aeolian Church conflates Orlanth and the Invisible God as one and the same, but that sort of formulation is bound to stick in the craw of the stricter Malkioni or the mortal non-Brithini atheist sects.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Canon, especially for anything outside of central Genertela, is pretty much entirely encompassed by whatever the GtG says.

The non-canonical fanzine Tales of the Reaching Moon had a series of articles about Arrolia in its final issue (#20, 2002) - the land west of the Lunar Empire that was Lunar culturally, but politically separate from the Empire. They believe wholeheartedly in the Red Goddess, they just thought the current empire was a hopelessly corrupt and illegitimate vessel for her message. It broke off during the Wane when Sheng was stomping all over everything (getting owned by Sheng was the big catalyst for them deciding the Empire was Doing It All Wrong) and by the time the Empire got strong enough to reconquer it, the Syndics Ban had kicked in, making it an unimportant backwater (the parts that weren't themselves affected by the Ban), and so the Empire turned its energies elsewhere. It's culture is a heretical mix of Lunar and Western theologies, with their own peculiar Lunar Sorcery based magic.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The Carmanians follow a Dualistic Western faith and have been part of the empire since the beginning. I don’t know how much they’ve syncretized with the Lunar Way though.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There isn’t much overlap between westerners and the Lunars, since there’s a bunch of Orlanthi and the impenetrable fog of the Syndics Ban dividing them. The Lunar Empire includes the Carmanians, who are very western but have a dualistic version with a lot of influences from solar cults and other local ones, like Bisos and Humakt, so the Lunars were able to integrate easily after they conquered them. If the Lunars had to try converting malkioni they’d probably argue that the Red Moon was a path to deeper mysteries beyond logic and was exceptional among the gods from her unique position in Time, so worshiping her wouldn’t be spiritually negative. Probably a lot like Nysalor in the first age.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Jeff Richards was talking about Sheng Seleris on Facebook and I def thought this was worth spreading. Incredibly good hooks for a Lunar campaign

Jeff Richards posted:

A little note based on an earlier discussion with a friend. Sheng Seleris is the nightmare of the Lunar subconscious. He is trapped in a Lunar Hell, but every Lunar has nightmares of his escape. These nightmares grew in frequency and terror after the rise of the Boat Planet in 1624. Now that the Redlands are in full revolt, and the King of Wings has defeated the Lunar Army of the south and conquered the satrapy of Oraya, the threat of Sheng's escape grow.

In 1625, the King of Wings invaded First Blessed and the Red Emperor was forced to personally thwart an attempt by Sheng Seleris to slip out of the Underworld. This weakened the Red Emperor and he could not stop the Dragonrise (and instead had to use much of his remaining strength to drive off the awakened True Dragon).

The Red Emperor has ordered that most of the remaining garrisons of the Lunar Provinces be stripped and sent to First Blessed to defend Blessed Torang itself. Jar-eel - the Fourth Inspiration of Moonson - has been tasked with defending the birthplace of the Red Goddess.

And every good Lunar fears that this is all being coordinated by Sheng Seleris, smiling in his infernal realm.

He's very very angry at the moon

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
I hope we will see a Pavis/Dara Happa/West supplement for 13th Age Glorantha, converting things to the 13th Age rules is doable but it would be nice to have more material. Especially more heroquests.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Ataxerxes posted:

I hope we will see a Pavis/Dara Happa/West supplement for 13th Age Glorantha, converting things to the 13th Age rules is doable but it would be nice to have more material. Especially more heroquests.

The West is pretty easy to handle with just using regular Wizards, and there are surprisingly few written-up heroquests and myths. I think the expectation is you make up your own, as you would with regular quests.

The Dara Happan stuff is harder to do. The recommendations in the book for converting clerics and paladins over are probably the best you'll get for now. Hopefully they add cool stuff like Shargash berserkers and Dara Happan Noble Commanders but they probably won't.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Wrestlepig posted:

The West is pretty easy to handle with just using regular Wizards, and there are surprisingly few written-up heroquests and myths. I think the expectation is you make up your own, as you would with regular quests.

The Dara Happan stuff is harder to do. The recommendations in the book for converting clerics and paladins over are probably the best you'll get for now. Hopefully they add cool stuff like Shargash berserkers and Dara Happan Noble Commanders but they probably won't.

Yeah, I'm hoping for really anything for 13th Age but we'll see. I'd love for them to make rules for Shargash and Babeester Gor berserkers, at one point I was planning on running a game for four characters, an Uroxi, a Zorak Zorani, a Shargashi and a Babeester Gorite. It would be called "Inglorius Berzerkers - the one thing they hate more than each other are the Lunars."

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Also, could I ask you fellows for ideas for a 13th Age Glorantha campaign I am planning, centered on Pavis. I have Pavis & The Big Rubble repring, Pavis: Gateway to Adventure and I think 2 of the Tentacle Press Pavis Companion volumes, Legacy of Pavis + one more. I was thinking of having one character be a Follower of Estangtang (a ranger or an archer monk or something similar), with the campaign centering around resistance to the Lunars, with the Giant Cradle as a major fight at some point. Also, one of the Pavis Companion booklets has a description of a troll tournament that I'm so going to yoink for this.

What I would like to have help with are ideas for Pavic/Yelmalio (Hill of Gold is so going to be in there) Heroquest and other grand adventures either in Pavis, Big Rubble or Sun County. Do you have any neat ideas or things you have done in your campaigns? Also, do any of you know if there is still a store somewhere that sells those companion volumes?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does anyone have a map of Genertela with just the major regions marked? The Guide is so detailed that getting broad answers like "what is directly east of the lunar empire" is kind of tricky.

Barring a map, a quick rundown of what you'd pass through if you went around the lunar empire instead of through it while trying to go northwest would be great, that's my immediate question.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

cheetah7071 posted:

Does anyone have a map of Genertela with just the major regions marked? The Guide is so detailed that getting broad answers like "what is directly east of the lunar empire" is kind of tricky.

Barring a map, a quick rundown of what you'd pass through if you went around the lunar empire instead of through it while trying to go northwest would be great, that's my immediate question.

It's a little hard to tell exactly where the borders are for some of the smaller areas, but the map down on this wiki page might help you: https://glorantha.fandom.com/wiki/Genertela

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

cheetah7071 posted:

If you're going Northwest from Sartar or the Holy Country you'll be going through the Grazelands and reaching Aggar and Talastar, a land of Orlanthi in the hills trying to resist lunar expansion. The Talastari have a lot of dara happan cultural influence but they're both bordering the Lunar Empire. They also border Dorastor, nestled in a gap between mountains, although that's on the other side from the Empire so if you want them there you'll have to encourage it somehow.

Above that is Brolia, which is a blasted wasteland inhabited by barbaric orlanthi and telmori werewolves. Then you're hitting into Carmania and can't get around because of the Syndics Ban and mountains, so you'll have to cut through.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 27, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Wrestlepig posted:

If you're going Northwest from Sartar or the Holy Country you'll be going through the Grazelands and reaching Aggar and Talastar, a land of Orlanthi in the hills trying to resist lunar expansion. The Talastari have a lot of dara happan cultural influence but they're both bordering the Lunar Empire. They also border Dorastor, nestled in a gap between mountains, although that's on the other side from the Empire so if you want them there you'll have to encourage it somehow.

Above that is Brolia, which is a blasted wasteland inhabited by barbaric orlanthi and telmori werewolves. Then you're hitting into Carmania and can't get around because of the Syndics Ban and mountains, so you'll have to cut through.

You see, the zoomed-out maps in the Guide are so bad for this sort of thing that I didn't even realize that the Lunar Empire didn't extend the whole way to the mountains in the west (the zoomed-in maps are extremely good though). Looking at the map linked above, I thought that after cutting across Tarsh the only options would be continuing in Lunar territory or going through Jarst, the Redlands, the Blue Moon Plateau, and then crossing the water. Brolia/Talastar/Bilini makes much more sense. Though there's enough weirdness going on in this campaign that any of the three routes might be viable.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 28, 2019

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Wrestlepig posted:

There isn’t much overlap between westerners and the Lunars, since there’s a bunch of Orlanthi and the impenetrable fog of the Syndics Ban dividing them. The Lunar Empire includes the Carmanians, who are very western but have a dualistic version with a lot of influences from solar cults and other local ones, like Bisos and Humakt, so the Lunars were able to integrate easily after they conquered them. If the Lunars had to try converting malkioni they’d probably argue that the Red Moon was a path to deeper mysteries beyond logic and was exceptional among the gods from her unique position in Time, so worshiping her wouldn’t be spiritually negative. Probably a lot like Nysalor in the first age.

The lunars have their ways of intergrating sorcery, but geographically they've not yet really run into proper westerner Malkioni of anything more orthodox than the Carmanians. I'd think if or when they do they'd have a bad time of it for a bunch of reasons. One of the major reasons for the Lunar's expansion is that they're able to bring a fullness of spiritual experience to areas that for a long time have had the deeper mysteries of their cults annihilated, either by the god learners, the EWF or the backlash against them. In the west you have the new Hrestoli of Loskalm whose spiritual traditions instead expanded afterwards, letting them create their crazy utopia. The armies of the Lunars might make them good allies against the kingdom of war, but mysteries beyond logic mean little to those who have found the logic beyond mysteries.

And then you have the Rokari who are just extremely intolerant of anything that looks like god-worshiping, in theory. The reality is more complex than that, of course, but given it's centralization of power both religious and temporal (for what difference there is) in Tanisor. As well, the philosophical underpinnings of Rokarism are very materialist and integrating that into Lunar Mysticism would be difficult. Not to mention that there's a long history of attempts to do that to more receptive variants of malkionism, which has ended in catastrophes like nysalorism, then the arkati, then the god-damned god-learners. All of these have made the people in seshnela opposed to both mysticism and messing about with other culture's gods in general, to say the least. What can a lunar say to them? The Law, after all, is the Law and it is clear: if you break it then when you die you will suffer and if you do not you will be freed from this world. Gods are supposed to be ordered about, those who turn away from the Law to worship them have suffered and died horrifically: just look at Old Seshnela and Wenalia. Plus there's that entire province of people who have one goal in life: prepare for the day Gbajii shows up again so they can kill them.

I guess my point is that Lunars attempting to sway "proper" malkioni would be interesting, but I can't see it working very well for them. Losklam's already got their own utopian spiritual enlightenment, whole Seshnela/Tanisor is liable to be unreceptive to the message in every single way.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Does anybody know when the Runequest gamemaster's guide is coming out? It's advertised in the corebook, but I can't see much about it on the Chaosium website.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jo Joestar posted:

Does anybody know when the Runequest gamemaster's guide is coming out? It's advertised in the corebook, but I can't see much about it on the Chaosium website.
The GM Screen/GM Pack is currently at the printer (and available via PDF) https://plus.google.com/+MichaelOBrienMOB/posts/5JHpTMacqQf

I have not seen any news about the GM Guide .

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
So, I'm having the session zero my first game of RQ:G this week. I noticed there really isn't a lot about how to run a Heroquest in the game. I've learned some from the big RQ facebook group, but they tend to lean pretty heavily on the grognardy side of things (like defending 3 separate unarmed combat skills in a game where only grapple is likely to be useful and unarmed combat is potentially suicide, or refusing to even entertain the possibility that Strike Ranks are not intuitive). I figure I'd hit up the goon squad to see what people think.

Rather than diving into really deep into the lore, finding canon stories to use, and treating HeroQuests like a normal GM-developed adventure, I've decided to make it more of a group participation thing. My plan is to have all the players go around and tell a story about the gods. I don't expect the players to know the lore as well as I do, but everybody knows at least a couple old school myths and legends, and they can tell them even if it's generically with the Gloranthan names filed off, like "harvest god" or "death god" or "thunder god." Then they'll decide on which myth to Heroquest as and the person with the winning story will get a little extra boon.

How does that sound as a plan? Anyone done anything like that?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It sounds good although I don’t know if it’ll fit the table.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I've been thinking on this for a while, in Six Ages, how are Rams (who are almost exclusively infantry) a match for Rider cavalry forces? Do they just have a shitton of battle magic that the Riders lack, or just sheer numbers they can bring to bear?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Well, for a start they can fly

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I understand how a weaponthane could stand against a cavalry fighter, I'm talking about the mass of regular fighters, or do Ram weaponthanes make up the difference?

It just seems like a big investment on the Riders' part to feed horses for everyone, when such an all-cav force gets dunked on by infantry, who need a lot less land to feed.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

TwoQuestions posted:

I understand how a weaponthane could stand against a cavalry fighter, I'm talking about the mass of regular fighters, or do Ram weaponthanes make up the difference?

It just seems like a big investment on the Riders' part to feed horses for everyone, when such an all-cav force gets dunked on by infantry, who need a lot less land to feed.

Orlanthi magic was super powerful then. Lots of flying, lightning bolts, and wind that blows away arrows. They also have metalworking and plenty of bronze. Plus these aren’t regular orlanthi, they’re Vingkotlings, who were way more warlike.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can someone do sn effortpost on the cult of Invisible Orlanth? The Guide mentions it often in the Carmania section but doesn't seem to go into details, and my campaign is (finally, after many delays) making it that far north.

Auxiliary question, is Lunar outlawing of Orlanth worship less successful than I thought or is Invisible Orlanth just new enough they haven't had a chance to stamp it out properly?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Invisible Orlanth is closer to the belief that Orlanth Is the Invisible God. I think there is a section written about it in the Ralios subsection.

It isn't fleshed out that much, but essentially the Camarian bloke is convinced that the second the barrier comes down (and it's coming down soon) Camaria is going to get invaded, and so imports the cult as a training method. Because it is closer to a school of magic and not worship of Orlanth it's technically supposed to be okay? But I think it might be more the fact that the empire doesn't have the same amount of control in these places that it thinks it does.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Josef bugman posted:

I think there is a section written about it in the Ralios subsection.

Thanks, I'll look there

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I think the invisible orlanth cult is probably different from the malkion/orlanth henotheist stuff in Ralios, since Carmania's gone from the Invisible God to Idovanus and Ganestarus. it's probably something weird and conspiratorial, considering the high-priest is half-brother to the top Magi and son of the Taloned Countess of Spol.

The wiki says it's a cult that talks about how orlanth defeated the invisible god and was enlightened, although that could mean a lot of things.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 21, 2019

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Dammit, yes it's the Chariot of Lightning School I was getting it confused with FFS.

Saying that? I always thought they were basically similar.

Also part of me wants to see how the CoL responds when the windstop happens and suddenly everyone starts going "errrr, what the gently caress guys?"

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I just finished The Glorantha Sourcebook and I have some questions. I'll try not to ask too many at once.

Why are the elder races diminished in the 'modern' age? Is there some comparative trait that makes them less prolific, or is it just that all of them got screwed during the great darkness?

What's happening on the Southern Continent, are they just hanging out in godtime, because no one bothered to tell them that Time exists now?

Was Yelm's worship just completely absorbed into the Lunar empire?

Is the implication supposed to be that the Hero Wars will be apocalyptic, because they keep saying 'Oh man, was that event bad for the 'celestial compromise'." when 'the celestial compromise' is that mortal Time exists?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Going down the list -

* Elder races - Even in the First Age, and well onto the Second Age most of the Elder Races were doing quite okay and strong, actually. They are diminished not due to some particular trait, just...history.

In the first age, the Battle of Night and Day crippled the Trolls by striking them with the Curse of Kin, which lead to the birth of trollkin instead of good, healthy trolls. That more or less snapped their back, and they've been on the decline since then.

The Elves were doing well enough in the First Age, but during the Second and early Third ages they suffered a lot from various forces. The Lunar Empire burned away an entire forest up north, committing genocide on almost unprecedented scale for Glorantha. Down in Pamaltela the elves actually had a giant, absolutely enormous empire during the Second Age, until some sickness inflicted their roots and began to kill them off in large swaths.

So yeah, in short - the Elder Races are mostly in decline for all the various reasons cultures go into decline.

* Pamaltela, the Southern Continent, is still chugging along like everyone else. In many ways it's doing better than Genertela is, because Pamalt, the earth king of the continent is still alive, unlike his brother Genert. So Pamaltela, on average, is more peaceful, more lush and just more "alive" than the northern continent. Time exists there, just like in does in most places in Glorantha, although there are some cultures, in hidden and remote places, that still live in a kind of eternal half-god time.

* Yeah, with the Red Emperor also being the Dara Happan Emperor, he is the top worshiper of Yelm, and thus the Yelm cult is now quite integrated into the Lunar empire. People like the Grazelanders and the Pentans worship Yelm in the aspect of the great Sun Horse, in which case those ones are not lunarized.

* The Compromise is more than just Time. The Great Compromise is, ultimately, Stasis. It's what the gods did to make sure Chaos did not devour everything. They lost their freedom and their ability to change and become new things and influence the world directly, but on the upside, there was now a world left to even exist. If the Compromise is ever broken, if any of the gods again begin to exert free movement, that means that things are no longer in that Stasis, and that means that the Chaos which had almost shredded existence itself to pieces in the Gods War can now begin to do so again. So yeah, things are not good if that happens, to be sure.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Our groups been playing our first Runequest game since the new edition came out. I've really been enjoying it! The world is very well laid out, with a mythical "anything could happen" kinda feel, and a strong incentive not to be murder hobos. It's great! I love the backstory thing tables, they're a lot of fun!

Our group is all from Prax, but from a few different tribes.

Three Llamas - all related
A High Llama Heavy Cavalry (Sister) - Follows the Storm Bull
A High Llama Light Cavalry (Brother) (sadly can't play much)
A High Llama Philosopher who follows Lhankor Mhy (Cousin or something)

You'd think the philosopher would be the oddball, but we also have:

A Rhino Tribe Hunter who follows Foundchild
A Healer from the Bee Tribes that follows Eiritha-Bee (The Bee tribe version of Eiritha. Basically the same, but with a couple of rune spells swapped out. Instead of the Herd Mother, she's the Hive Queen)

And last, and basically least:

A Pol Joni healer who follows Ernalda.

I play the bee rider. It's a lot of fun. Giant bees have kinda been a joke in our group for a long time, so when the bestiary had stats for bees and wasp riders, the GM suggested it. I also rolled the talking animal companion boon, which the GM kindly let me use with the bee. She's been a little rattled ever since the whole "killed by a mantis" thing.

Things we've done since the start of this Runequest campaign:

- Participated in a gladiator tournament. (Demo game)
- Got rid of a hyena pack eating travelers to a trading town by...
- Negotiating with the Hyena Spirit pack leader to leave in return for...
- Chasing off a Lion pride who had taken their land because...
- A giant mantis had taken over theirs, which we killed. (but not before it killed my bee!)

- And this season, we've gone in search of a lost Morokanth trader. So far, all the way to Lunar Tarsh.
- This has resulted in us dunking on some tusk riders
- Meeting some dragonnewts, which are really cool, and my character has a hate on for.

We're tracking the trader across the land to find out what happened to him. It looks like he either A) Sold a bunch of herdsmen as human slaves, or B) Got captured and his slaves taken. We'll find out next week, probably... Praxians are not the world's best investigators I'm finding. If he's been passing herdsmen off as people, that will not go well for him, I think.

Some other notes:
- The Ernalda healer dude sleeps with everything he can. It's kept funny/whatever instead of creepy.
- The philosopher is REALLY into summoning spirits. A good outcome on this is not always assured.
- This game has resulted in me reading a LOT about Prax, Glorantha history and beekeeping. I've kinda got a loose outline of a giant bee riding culture, that I'll probably never do anything with. Overall a win!

This is a Good Game. I'm kinda curious what will happen if we ever meet some elves. Should bee interesting.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I have a couple more rune themed questions.

What are the aspects of the moon rune? It sort of feels like it's intentionally kept mysterious.

What are some things about the water rune? The only heroquests I can think of related to it are the god that dives in to plug the hole chaos made and turns into a whirlpool, and everyone's favorite minor heroquest "Guy needs to get to other side of river". Although this might be down to the Orlanthi pantheon not having a major water god.

Jenx posted:

* The Compromise is more than just Time. The Great Compromise is, ultimately, Stasis. It's what the gods did to make sure Chaos did not devour everything. They lost their freedom and their ability to change and become new things and influence the world directly, but on the upside, there was now a world left to even exist. If the Compromise is ever broken, if any of the gods again begin to exert free movement, that means that things are no longer in that Stasis, and that means that the Chaos which had almost shredded existence itself to pieces in the Gods War can now begin to do so again. So yeah, things are not good if that happens, to be sure.

Regarding the breaking of the compromise, mortals might fare better this time because Orlanth and Yelm, (and probably? the Red Goddess) are perfectly available to come to their aid. Although I suppose the crisis might not actually manifest until one of them is killed again.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

I have a couple more rune themed questions.

What are the aspects of the moon rune? It sort of feels like it's intentionally kept mysterious.

What are some things about the water rune? The only heroquests I can think of related to it are the god that dives in to plug the hole chaos made and turns into a whirlpool, and everyone's favorite minor heroquest "Guy needs to get to other side of river". Although this might be down to the Orlanthi pantheon not having a major water god.

Regarding the breaking of the compromise, mortals might fare better this time because Orlanth and Yelm, (and probably? the Red Goddess) are perfectly available to come to their aid. Although I suppose the crisis might not actually manifest until one of them is killed again.

It's a bit late, but.

The moon rune is intentionally mysterious because it is concerned with mystery. It's unique in having seven phases it can go through, each different, but the moon rune as a whole is concerned with mystical insight, change and chaos (but in a neutral way). Each phase of the moon rune is connected to one of the seven mothers and can be approached through that context.

As for the water rune, the fact that there's few heroquests concerned with it on land is intentional because.. well, they're on land and not in water. Thus pretty much any land-based culture are going to have heroquests that are all about fighting water to make it into lakes, rivers, ect and not flooding them all over. This is the case also, because the major maritime cultures of Glorantha are all dead or half-dead. The waertagi are in hell, the Helerings are mostly extinct or absorbed into the Orlanthi, the Artmali are in pretty much the same boat except with fonrit and the god learners are super-ultra-dead. Therefore, heroquests that deal with the water rune outside of lakes, rivers and dealing with not being flooded are pretty much nonexistent, as those were the cultures that understood the depths in more than a literally surface way.

They were able to come to the aid of mortals last time. It didn't end well. When the compromise breaks again the world is going to die. That's not an if, or a probably, it's an inevitability: the world is going to die when it happens. The only question is if it can be brought to life again and even if it can, what new compromise will have to be made.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

So Glorantha: The Gods War (the “dudes on a map game” by the same designer as Cthulhu Wars) got delivered to backers and reviews appear to be... mixed.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

DalaranJ posted:

I got some bad news for you: the lunars killed Orlanth for a bit, which sent Ernalda to sleep. They got better after an extreme amount of heroquesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Are there mechanics for Runequest characters to ascend to Hero status? I'm not asking if you should, just if it's been delineated.