Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Proud Rat Mom posted:

Playing KODP and then reading about glorantha after only makes the 'ignorant' orlanthi lens everything is viewed through even more genius.

One thing I loved in Six Ages is when you first encounter Orlanthi and just how loving obnoxious it is to deal with them as a non-Orlanthi group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Here's a question if Zistor was a big enough breach of the compromise to allow Orlanth to come kill it, why wasn't Nysalor as another incarnated god?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Nanomashoes posted:

The prosopaedia just dropped, and it has finally ended the Elmal/Yelmalio debate for all time.

lotta boobs and dicks in it as well.

I think Jeff mostly managed to kick the hornet's nest a few more times on the way there.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Narsham posted:

One thing I didn't like was identifying Gbaji explicitly as Nysalor and not Arkat. That's not wrong, exactly, but it's disappointing to think that it's right. Something tricky happened on the Heroplane when those two confronted each other and it's not clear whether the survivor of the confrontation was even the same being.

Except that the EWF masterminds understood they were farming the end game content while oriented improperly within Time, meaning they were actually disempowering themselves like complete dopes.

You really have to admire the number of people in Glorantha who figured out creative ways to endanger the world. That's part of what makes it such a good adventuring setting.

Jeff generally seems very into having concrete answers for everything, which is one of the issues I have with the new Runequest. The other is that it feels like he wants everything to be like it was in the 80s as much as he can.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Narsham posted:

I was grumpy about the latest Runequest switching Lhankor Mhy's runes from Law and Truth to Truth and Stasis, but maybe it speaks to this broader understanding about how the facts operate in the world.

Still grumpy, though, just for a bigger reason.

Given that the world is radically different based on something like what you think of the Lunar Empire and the Red Goddess (which aren't exactly the same thing), I'm a bit shocked at this attitude. It isn't a simple matter of saying either the Red Goddess is Gbaji 3.0 and is trying to hurl the entire world into Chaos by exploiting Arkati experimental heroquesting and operating outside the framework of the Great Compromise, OR she's found a way to incorporate Chaos into the world, which is exactly the thing that happened with Air, and with Sky, and with Earth, and with Water, and maybe even with Darkness, and of course the most recent group to immigrate to Glorantha and get integrated is the group most opposed to letting these foreigners in.

The Lhankor Mhy thing bothered me to, but apparently those are the rune's he's always had in Runequest, while the Heroquest era stuff went with Law and Truth instead.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly, I don't even think it's about Six Ages so much as just the fact that Yelmalio existed in the 80s when Jeff has his biggest nostalgia for Glorantha while Elmal didn't exist till later.

Also honestly, Yelmalio's myth is actually pretty cool, it's too bad the Sun Domers are all so uncool though.

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 1, 2023

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I think Jeff made things worse by also just tying himself into knots to justify it and just making it dumber. Especially when apparently all the Heroquest Elmal stuff is apparently wrong but also written to get to this point.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Also it feels weird that stronger magic would just make people want to leave their clans and tribes so fully.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Elmal's been fire and truth in everything he's been fully written up in too until RQG.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Looking it up: Elmal in Hero Wars just had a personal run which was a sun. This isn't that uncommon in Hero Wars and a lot of various gods have something like that, which can be seen in the entire Lunar book where literally every god just has a unique rune which powers are hanging off. In Heroquest and it's derivatives it's all Fire and Truth.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Also honestly, the idea that there can only have ever been one sun in all of mythology that no one can interpret differently feels wrong when there are hints that there may have been multiple Yelms and a War of Many Suns.

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 19, 2023

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

There were a couple of Imperial Handbooks, but they're earlier and written for what was Herowars before they changed to Heroquest.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

That is a weird thing about RQ:G in particular, Jeff has this view that bigger cults are bigger because they're stronger rather than culturally prevalent, so they get everything while smaller cults have trouble even filling their niche. Like Aran Argar doesn't get trade magic because well that's Issaries thing even though he probably should have some but the biggest deal things like Spell Trading.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Come to think of it how would being a member of the Little Sisters in the Seven Mothers even work in RQ:G?

Though the cult is probably less interesting in RQ generally due to dropping stuff like kindling and choosing a specific mother as your main thing for a more generic cult.

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 21, 2023

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I feel like it wouldn't be too hard to kinda wiggle Heroquest into something more grounded if you wanted to, but also at that point, you're fighting the system somewhat. Pendragon also feels like it found a better balance than Runequest did. It's still pretty heavy, and you can die fast but it feels like it kinda knows what it wants to do better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I don't think there even was a Chaosium RQ edition since Elmal was a thing until he reconned it back in RQ:G. It's still stupid because he was part of the heroquest supliments where Elmal totally had fire.

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 9, 2023