Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Has anyone here read Robin Laws' Sharper Adventures in HeroQuest Glorantha? It came up on Ken & Robin Talk About Stuff this week and I have to admit I'm curious. I tend to run games more like Hite than Laws, but the dude knows Glorantha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Rand Brittain posted:

Can you even get that any longer?

... Huh! Apparently not, it's been pulled from every official source I can find. It's still readily available via :filez: , which I suppose I don't feel bad about since it's completely impossible to buy as far as I can tell.

It's strange, the K&R segment where this came up was Laws saying, "I was commissioned to update this chapbook and make a setting- and system-agnostic version of this, and in the process I discovered I had to completely rewrite it because it was too Glorantha-centric to salvage." And that's, uh, emphatically not the case. Reading through it, there's really nothing but a thin coat of Gloranthan paint over standard Laws advice / structures. Sharper Adventures, for sure, but not Sharper Adventures in Glorantha.

Ah well! In an effort to make this more useful for people, maybe we can discuss the best published Gloranthan adventure materials? Are there any really great ones out there that make use of the setting, rather than something that is easily transposed to or from another setting with some serial numbers filed off?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

radmonger posted:

One strong option for a modern RQ campaign is _six seasons in sartar_, and it’s two sequels. It follows the story beats of a Gloranthan version of the Lord of the Rings. The PCs are the young people of, or regular visitors to, a small backwater farming community. One that has always stayed out of history, to the point where most historical clan lists forget to mention the Haraborn.

Then, one day, politics happens to the village.

Reading through this tonight and so far it's really good! This is high on the list of "ways to introduce Glorantha" campaign premises now, thanks for the recommendation.

Something I'm curious about after reading this, and as a person who has only ever read Gloranthan fiction aside from skimming ancient copies of early RuneQuest: do the modern Glorantha games really not have a subsystem for heroquesting? :psyduck: I can only assume that's the case, given that Six Seasons has written a whole chapter for it, but that seems like a huge oversight.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
On the one hand, the lack of a heroquesting system in the RuneQuest corebook is baffling. On the other hand, the existence of half a dozen incompatible approaches to heroquesting, none of which have the blessing of canon and thus all existing as the mechanical equivalent of folk religion, is insanely Gloranthan, so maybe it balances out.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
This discussion makes me curious about something. As someone who's mostly on the periphery of Gloranthan fandom because I find the setting fascinating but haven't made the time to read its vast corpus, I'm wondering: how definitive is the material in the Guide to Glorantha? And by definitive I mostly mean, adhering to Greg Stafford's interpretations and statements as closely as possible, rather than his acolytes and successors. One of these days I'm going to set all my other reading aside and just devour a huge chunk of Glorantha texts, and I've always meant to make the Guide a part of that (I've only read chunks), but this Jeff character makes me a wee bit concerned about non-Stafford influences.

I suppose my biases are showing here: I love Greg Stafford's whole auteur deal, and while I disagree with his IRL shamanic weirdness, it's a worldview that made for incredible fiction. For me, Glorantha is this magnificent thing that flowed from the wellspring of Stafford's mind, and our access to "true canon" was cut off at the moment of his death. The irony of this statement re: Glorantha does not escape me. Even so, if I'm ever going to immerse myself in this astonishing secondary he created, I'd want to do it in a way that's as close to the prophet's vision as possible.

On an unrelated note, do we know how is Monrogh supposed to be pronounced? In my head it's "Monrow" and this has to be wrong.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Mors Rattus posted:

His priests, the rear end Men

I want to be mad about this name, but it's also something that I would not be at all surprised to see in an official Glorantha product. But did you have to call their holy site the Hellcrack?

Lozarl, the Lord of Below, the Low Fire, the Labor rear end posted:

By Pentan law, the ranking rear end Man in a settled village or monastery is considered to be its khan for any purposes that would require it.

An enlightened society :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Mors Rattus posted:

Oh, I didn’t name the Hellcrack. That’s canonical.

Oh my god.

I am slain.