Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If I already have the Guide to Glorantha and Heroquest Glorantha (which is the system I'll be playing in), what additional information is present in the Glorantha sourcebook? I'm not opposed to getting it if it has a lot of information on deities I don't already know about via kodp but if it's just redundant Guide information and the Satarite pantheon I'll pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ironically the Heroquest game only devotes like two pages to Heroquesting, which are both very confusing rules-wise and don't really provide any explanation for what a heroquest is or why you'd want to do it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I mean it makes sense in-universe that the people who make it high in the cult hierarchy are the people who routinely make it to a prayer session every single holy day without fail for years and years, and also get a little bit luckier than average in achieving their god's favor. It's also tremendously boring to try to navigate as a PC.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Of course Maran Gor would say it's actually a good thing she maimed poor hippogriff

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

JonBolds posted:

I've got a hankering to play in this world, as I've casually read a lot about it and enjoyed that reading.

Problem is, neither HeroQuest nor RuneQuest seems to really capture the feeling of the world well. The Pendragon-esque additions to the new RuneQuest are nice, but I can't help but feel like the system's ultra-deadly combat holds the whole thing back. Maybe I should just be playing it like Pendragon, with the expectation that maybe ONE of the characters in the party will become a hero, and the rest will probably die?

HeroQuest, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have the long-term campaign and/or generational play chops that really I want out of a game set in Glorantha. Can anyone who's playing/played the system comment on that?

My first instinct when I started reading what the game makers considered important about Glorantha as a setting was that a Blades in the Dark hack would be perfect for it. Your crew playbook gets replaced by a clan playbook (with different options for different cultures) and your personal playbook is the cult you belong to. It'd be a lot of work though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
BitD does have the hooks to make heroquesting both more integrated into the system and different from normal play in an interesting way, too. The thoughts I had was that setting up the heroquest is a downtime activity. Once you're in the god time, your position (i.e., how bad things go if you fail your roll) is determined by how closely you follow the story. Your effect (i.e., how good things go if you succeed) is determined by what the god you're emulating is at the action you're taking. Chance of success is determined as usual by your own stats.

Generally speaking, as a KoDP/Six Ages player, I'm pretty disappointed in the minor place heroquesting is given in both the Runequest and Heroquest books, when to me it's one of the defining things about the setting.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kanthulhu posted:

I'll be GMing Heroquest and I've read all the rules in the Core Book by now but I think I'm having a hard time grasping how combat is suposed to work. I've been playing rpgs were you roll to see if you hit and then roll to see the damage since I'm like 8 years old so I guess it's hard to get out of that mindset. Any good tips to make interesting combats in Heroquest?

Combat is not distinct from anything else in heroquest. It's a whole separate paradigm. You're playing a collaborative storytelling game, not a tactics game with roleplaying elements like d&d is. It'll take some getting used to.

The book offers pretty good advice iirc. If a player attempts something, ask yourself:

--would the player failing be interesting? If the answer is no, don't roll and just let them succeed
--is this a cool climactic moment that's worth turning into a whole production? If so do an extended contest, otherwise do a simple contest

There's a whole genre of (mostly indie) games that play like heroquest but it's a pretty big shift from the really popular stuff.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My inclination is that shamans would just have another playbook. Sorcerery would probably just be a few powers on the Lankor Mhy playbook unless you specifically were designing to emulate western societies

Stress not completely clearing after every job felt like it was trying to push a specific kind of story in bitd that I'm not sure you'd even want in a Glorantha hack

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Looks like I'm gonna be starting up a Heroquest game in about two weeks. My group has rotating GMs and I thought I was gonna have to wait for my turn but it looks like I'm next after all. I have a few ideas kicking around in my head that I figured I'd run by here to see whether it comes adjacent to the cool parts of the setting that one of our resident loremasters can inform me of, or any pitfalls of ways I'm telling a not-very-Glorantha story in the setting and thus not getting all I could out of it. I'm pretty sure a few of the things here are not-quite-canon but my Glorantha varies

The opening session is going to be pseudo character creation and pseudo a real first session. The clan they belong to, as part of their sacred time rituals, initiates 15 year old girls and 16 year old boys as adults, in a (safe, because it is so well-trodden) heroquest where the children run through the history of the clan from its origins up until the dawn, where they step out of godtime into the real world to hear the rest of the clan's history told in more mundane means. I intend to use this heroquest as a clan creation and character creation session--the decisions the PCs make during the quest will be the history of the clan, and they'll be questing as fully-fledged heroes and can decide on their skills as challenges come up. At the end of the quest, Orlanth will call most of the boys to his side, Ernalda most of the girls, and the rest of the new adults will be called to the side of the gods they show a special affinity for, but the PCs are going to get lost and end up talking to a true dragon instead, who will lay out the framework for the rest of the campaign (which I'll get to below).

The clan history needs a few key events and I just don't know pre-time Gloranthan history that well. I have the first question in mind as something like "You worship Orlanth not because of his birth, but because of his deeds. There was a time when he had not yet earned your loyalty, and you worshiped another god as your chief deity. Who was it?" and offer some off-the-wall choices like Zorak Zoran and Flamal, gods that Orlanthi don't normally worship but this clan will, and come up with backstories for how that came to be. But I don't have any good ideas yet for other major events in the clan's history to show.

As for what the dragon tells them, I intend it to be cryptic imagery that takes them a number of years to disentangle so they're more mature proto-heroes in the first proper session. The planned upshot is that they need to physically enter the underworld, with their entire clan in tow (or potentially some other sorry group of people since heroes do crazy poo poo). The idea here is that I wanted to give my players a guided tour of (part of) Glorantha but still retain the community-based aspects of the setting that are so crucial to it. I intend to give them a few options of known entrances to the underworld that are big enough and present in the physical world but will push them towards one at the tip of Valind's glacier because that path takes them through so many of the central areas of the setting. Is there any less-known cool poo poo along that path? As for why they're going to the underworld, I intend that to be something they aren't completely sure about but I've had a few ideas for it, including descending beyond the underworld to the double-underworld (basically a hole leading to the chaos outside the world), where beings slain by Kajabor end up, and bringing someone back from there, but honestly the actual goal is still in flux and less important than the journey.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

White Coke posted:

This sounds like there was some kind of God Learner/Empire of Wyrm Friends influence on the clan to make them so weird. Is that what you had in mind?

No, I just sort of latched onto the idea that Orlanth commanded respect by right of his deeds and any clan with a deep history would be able to trace itself to a time where they didn't yet worship him. For most clans that meant another storm god, or Heler, or Elmal, or whatever but surely there's a few oddballs out there

Unless you meant some other part of the post where I'm non-canon

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't have any of the setting books besides the Guide and Glorantha sourcebook so my god knowledge outside of kodp/six ages (and the lore posts made in those threads) is kinda lacking

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Insects are typically darkness aligned as well. If I had to guess they probably have a very idiosyncratic origin. Possibly shared with ants and termites

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What runes is Heler associated with? I have a player who wants to be a Heler cultist but they aren't a listed god in the heroquest book. I guessed water/movement

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does anyone have a map of Genertela with just the major regions marked? The Guide is so detailed that getting broad answers like "what is directly east of the lunar empire" is kind of tricky.

Barring a map, a quick rundown of what you'd pass through if you went around the lunar empire instead of through it while trying to go northwest would be great, that's my immediate question.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Wrestlepig posted:

If you're going Northwest from Sartar or the Holy Country you'll be going through the Grazelands and reaching Aggar and Talastar, a land of Orlanthi in the hills trying to resist lunar expansion. The Talastari have a lot of dara happan cultural influence but they're both bordering the Lunar Empire. They also border Dorastor, nestled in a gap between mountains, although that's on the other side from the Empire so if you want them there you'll have to encourage it somehow.

Above that is Brolia, which is a blasted wasteland inhabited by barbaric orlanthi and telmori werewolves. Then you're hitting into Carmania and can't get around because of the Syndics Ban and mountains, so you'll have to cut through.

You see, the zoomed-out maps in the Guide are so bad for this sort of thing that I didn't even realize that the Lunar Empire didn't extend the whole way to the mountains in the west (the zoomed-in maps are extremely good though). Looking at the map linked above, I thought that after cutting across Tarsh the only options would be continuing in Lunar territory or going through Jarst, the Redlands, the Blue Moon Plateau, and then crossing the water. Brolia/Talastar/Bilini makes much more sense. Though there's enough weirdness going on in this campaign that any of the three routes might be viable.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 28, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can someone do sn effortpost on the cult of Invisible Orlanth? The Guide mentions it often in the Carmania section but doesn't seem to go into details, and my campaign is (finally, after many delays) making it that far north.

Auxiliary question, is Lunar outlawing of Orlanth worship less successful than I thought or is Invisible Orlanth just new enough they haven't had a chance to stamp it out properly?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Josef bugman posted:

I think there is a section written about it in the Ralios subsection.

Thanks, I'll look there

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Heroquest is less crunchy than anything White Wolf

It's also kind of a crappy ruleset in my mind though, unfortunately. The core rolls are much more time-consuming to resolve than most dice mechanics, and you tend to get extremely slippery slope situations, because succeeding on rolls gives you buffs and failing gives you debuffs, so failure begets more failure and success begets more success.

I feel like a Blades hack would be great for Glorantha because it already has rules for downtime and advancing your group, which fit very well with the default assumption of Glorantha that even low-level heroes will go adventuring in the summer and come home to help with the harvest in the fall. I'm not aware of any Glorantha Blades hacks but I haven't looked either.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I feel like the guide does a worse job of telling you why the setting is cool than the archive kodp LPs

The guide has a lot of details but it's presented in a way that doesn't make it obvious where the cool stuff is imo (not just geographically, but in meta details as well)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Heroquest's rules felt almost nonfunctional and when I tried to run it by the book I ended up frustratingly homebrewing it into unrecognizability. A proper narrative system would work great in glorantha but heroquest isn't it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nanomashoes posted:

Can you guys elaborate on the problems with Heroquest because I'm looking for a system to run a very long and expansive Fronela campaign and I don't want to use Pendragon.

the biggest one I remember is that failing rolls is supposed to have you inflict punishments in the forms of penalties to future rolls, and succeeding on rolls is supposed to give bonuses to future rolls. It gets really swingy. Also the dice system just takes an annoyingly long time to resolve. A few extra seconds per roll adds up over the course of a session.

The thing I really did like is that instead of having a static list of stats, you just wrote down what you were good at on your character sheet. It's a neat system.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think it's around as complex as most narrative-style games. Which is to say, way less complex than any crunchy combat game and your players may prefer runequest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I ran a game of Heroquest once and found the system basically unusable. In the end I hacked it to the point that I might as well have just run anything else