Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The bestiary just came out so this system may now actually be playable, I guess we'll see next week when my group tries to run it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Wrestlepig posted:

does the bestiary come with human enemies to crib or is it just a stat-as-pcs deal because I hate that poo poo

You're able to stat every single creature in it as a PC but it also provides pre-rolled "average" stats if the GM just wants to throw it in as an enemy. Unfortunately none of the entries are humans so yes, any human enemy would have to be statted by the GM I think. It does also come with additional rules and spells for playing Elves, Dwarfs, Trolls, Dragonewts, Tusk Riders, Men-and-a-Half, Trollkin, and Telmori if any of those are up your alley.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Finally played our first session of this, it runs pretty well if everyone knows the rules and the real fiddly bits are all after the adventure is over so you can look them up. Setting is great, it's fun.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Are there any heroquests with a part for Maran Gor? I can't really find any in old edition books. I'm playing an initiate of her and I've been combing books for mentions of any deeds she's done that could maybe be made into one but all I have are:

1)Defending Ernalda during the dark age, probably similar to Elmal Guards the Stead
2)Has a fight with Hippogryph and smashes her legs into hooves.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Space Skeleton posted:

I'm not totally convinced that Heroquesting needs its own rules if you're running a RQ game. If the RQ game I am working on has it show up as something for the players to do then I think I can come up with a choose-your-own-adventure set of challenges using info from the guide and sourcebook to build upon. Coming up with good curses and boons to have persist after the quest seems like the hardest part.

The game says you can heroquest during sacred time so it would be weird not to do it!

Anyways how the heck are you supposed to get enough POW to be a rune priest considering your chance of succeeding at a POW gain roll goes down every time? To get it up to 18, the last roll will be a 1/5 chance. That's gonna take forever at my current rate of success (Four failures at 50% chance).

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I wrote out a Maran Gor heroquest for her taking control of the dinosaurs, here it is if anyone wants to read it:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RrJ0U60WK15dbZIij9XMXYwvo1ywCoCRt5PdLj2Wi20/edit?usp=sharing
We ran it today and it all went smoothly, I got a dinosaur to mount, but the Yelmali in our party screwed up her station a bit and had to accompany me on the rest of the quest, meaning that he wasn't there to watch over the stead for a little and chaos got into the Tula. It's not my character's tula though, so she could care less.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Wrestlepig posted:

This is really good, you did an excellent job presumably bringing together the party for the quest

Thanks for the compliment. The party is me, an Old Tarsh Maran Gor priestess, and two Sartarites from the Colymar tribe: an Orlanthi shaman, and a Yelmali soldier. I wrote the parts in for them, and for the Ernaldan we used the fact that I had rolled a 1 to intimidate an Ernaldan Rune Priestess in Nochet to give me Maran Gor worshipping duties at the great earth temple we could hand wave and say we found one to play the part. I did want to include Ernalda because Six Ages has dinosaurs as being part of her (Nyalda's) domain, so obviously you gotta explain how that changed around.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Of course Maran Gor would say it's actually a good thing she maimed poor hippogriff

The DM described my character as an "insane rear end in a top hat" which I take to mean I'm roleplaying Disorder/Death correctly.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

We actually ran the heroquests last session with a blades esque system where you got extra dice for how much % you had in skills, inspirations, and spending rune points. When we remembered to do it that way and not just roll percentage dice, of course.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I've now failed 10 pow gain rolls in a row at 50% chance so at least I know I'm a victim of some universal forces.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

They just released a book that fleshes out the example Colymar tribe with a lot of NPCs and locations and also has 3 adventures in it, if anyone wanted to try running some sessions but not put any effort in.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

White Coke posted:

Does it have the rules for illumination? The rulebook said those would be in the Gamemaster's Guide along with a bunch of other rules.

This is the "Adventure Pack"/"Game Master Screen Pack," so no.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

Playing a shaman through several seasons of Runequest has been very interesting. A fully initiated shaman has access to a potentially vast MP pool once they start making pacts and binding spirits. Shifting most of their effective POW into the fetch they generate in their initiation, plus a lot of Spirit Combat, mean a generally high number of successful POW gain rolls each season. That power creep is sort of compensated for by the cost of building and maintaining spirit relationships and binding spirits into objects, which usually takes all of my own gained POW at the end of each season, but those same relationships offer spirit magic spells and magic point pools that more than compensate. I made my first pact with a really formidable spirit this session, and its power will really put the shaman at a new level mystically. I'm going to try to build a cult to that spirit, with a shrine in the woods near Boldhome.

You should post the Heroquest you wrote in here, I like it.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.chaosium.com/blogvale-greg-stafford-1948-2018/
RIP Greg Stafford

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Osara has the best temple buff so actually she's the strongest god and could beat Orlanth in a fight.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Normally I like when new Glorantha art comes out but the illustrations for gods in the new board game expansion is really not doing it for me.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Whoa, this is amazing. Where is Argan Argar? There by a different name?

It's not a complete list at all. Xentha's not on there either, and it would be hard to place him without his mother.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Some ducks wear pants, some wear skirts, some wear nothing. It's up to the individual duck. If a duck's gonna go into combat though it should probably have some form of leg armor.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Looked up morokanth and whoa

Apparently they were the only non humans to win the Covenant of Eaters and Eaten and got to domesticate animalistic Herdmen lmao

Morokanth claim the humans all cheated, because why else would only humans have won; whereas the humans claim the Morkanth cheated, because how the hell did an animal win. Both are probably correct, why wouldn't you try to cheat a contest where the loser gets domesticated?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Herd Men aren't humans, they're domesticated apes. So say the gods, and why do you think you know better? You can get herd-man meat on the streets of Nochet and New Pavis, it's pretty decent. Tastes like pork. You don't get punished by spirits of reprisal for cannibalism for eating it either, so it's pretty clear cut.

wiegieman posted:

Morokanth claim that herdmen aren't humans, they just look like them.

They also tend to have a larger number of herdmen after they take captives.

In-setting the Morokanth magic to turn a human into a herd-man is no more or less horrifying than a witch turning someone into a toad.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

wiegieman posted:

If there was a group of people turning their captured enemies into cows and butchering them, they would be rightfully reviled.

Would a non-praxian also be protected from the spirits that punish cannibalism? What if they knew where the herdmen came from, or a particular herdman?

(As I am Illuminated by the shining face of Our Goddess/a representative of Hrestol's enlightened kingdom, I automatically think I know better than everyone who isn't.)

Once you're a herd man, you're an animal. Period. Non-Praxians eat them just fine, even if you knew them before, though I don't think that's ever happened. It's not a very common spell for Morokanth to cast, it takes a huge investment including permanent sacrifice of POW. They only use it on people they really hate, or people who they really want to send a message about.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

If you want a better reason to hate Morokanth then they're one of the biggest slave taking and slave trading groups in the world. You see, their tapir hands are absolutely terrible at tool making and tool using, which is like, the fundamental building block of civilization. They're utterly dependent on human humans to make them clothes and weapons and stuff, and the best way to get a human to do that is to enslave them. Then they got good at raiding and slave taking and wound up with a surplus, so they kept the craftsmen and sold the rest to anyone that was buying, which is most of Glorantha. Other Praxian tribes, Lunars, Esrolians, like half of all Orlanthi clans; slaves are valuable, so the Morokanth are always after more.

Of course this also facilitates getting people the gently caress out of Prax, which is an awful place to live, so I don't see it as all bad.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Someone's gotta stick around and keep the lights on so broos don't start messing with The Block.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

A Hsunchen mercenary in the Waertagi fleet at the battle of Tanian's Victory, 718 ST:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoSs9-NDP3E

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mimir posted:

Is Cult Compendium and Gods of Glorantha the canonical Big Book Of Cults for RQG until they put out whatever big book of magic they’re working on?

There's also Glorantha: the Second Age: Cults of Glorantha.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Blind Azathoth posted:

Apparently, despite the fact that Greg and Jeff themselves wrote the last Sartar books only a decade ago, they somehow didn't turn out the way Jeff wanted. He has criticized them repeatedly in recent years and insists this new book will finally be the definitive work on the region.

In other words, the war against Elmal will only be won once every mention of him is replaced with "a small, local variant of Yelmalio." Jeff continues to fight the good fight that he... started by writing up the Elmal cult ten years ago...

The company is called Chaosium, of course they want to remove Elmal in favor of Yelmalio. They're doing the bidding of chaos.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Red Book of Magic just dropped, got some fun spells in there. For example:we finally have a spell to make people orgasm.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I also love Animate Loon, which seems to be a one shot duck-only spell that would make the scariest opponent in the game if it didn't have only like 30% to hit with its bite.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

One of my Glorantha campaign ideas that's been kicking around in the back of my head for years is being a group of Lunar Legionnaires from the provinces who are assigned to guard Dara Happa and having to suddenly deal with an Alkoth rebellion. The PC's find themselves protecting a bunch of chauvinist assholes who probably think the Alkothi are more civilized then them.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

wiegieman posted:

I know the core Lunar provinces are Pelorian, but at this point don't they have Dara Happa pretty much under control? The remaining Dara Happan families who aren't in the Lunar cults still do their usual thing, but they don't get to treat anyone who's a Lunar initiate like they're not a person anymore and the urban women and rural populations are free to pursue the Way if they want.

They're not legally allowed, but 101,000 years of perfect masculine culture isn't just gonna go away in my Glorantha.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mimir posted:

I'm going to do a nice, long writeup of my ongoing game when we're through a full year, but long story short - It's 1624, my players are members of a Lismelder clan. They bring gifts to a lunar mining operation in the Starfire Ridges (trying to excavate the ruins under there or free some of the cinder pits demons) and are greeted peacefully. They poison the lunars with rotten fish (given as a gift) and free the mining slaves in the confusion. The slaves at this installation aren't locals - they're captives from the White Moon rebellion.

Now, they're heading back to their village, which is on the river a few miles west of the Old Elf Ruins.

What does the blowback look like? Only a few of the Lunar guards died in the fight but they know the clan the players are from. I'm assuming that the brunt of the Lunar army is still working on the Temple of the Reaching moon, but I figure in the near to medium term we're looking at an occupation of the town, searches, a stepped-up local presence. I don't want to really crush them but I don't want to pull my punches on the reaction from the Empire.

So one of the big reasons that Argrath is able to succeed in his rebellion in 1625/26 is that the Pentans are invading Dara Happa around this time and the Lunars are recalling most of their forces in the provinces to deal with that. I'm not sure if this is going on in 1624 but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be. That would leave the Lunar occupation army of Sartar, which if we go with your idea of having most of them building the Temple after having suffered a massive loss at Pennel Ford, governor Tatius would probably try to lean on local allied clans to crush the rebellion for him. Secondly, we know that in 1626 a group of Blue Moon Assassins are in country and kill Queen Kallyr, so you could add those to the list of foes. Lastly, the other big Lunar force in the area is going to be the full army of Tarsh, which currently is still united as Pharandros and Fazzur are not openly feuding yet. If things get bad enough in Sartar the Governor-General of Dragon Pass (Fazzur) is likely gonna show up.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Is that the same Kallyr your clan can adopt in KODP?

No, just a woman with the same name and a similar life story (wants to be Prince, dies young instead).

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Any advice for not killing the gently caress out of players in Runequest Glorantha? Love the setting, but TPK'd the second combat of the adventure "The Rattling Wind". The setting is my favorite, but character creation takes too long for how lethal it's playing for me.

•Prewritten adventures often give foes massive strength bonuses for the sake of "realism" and you're gonna want to tone down anything that's hitting for +3d6 or more.
•Make sure your players have Shield, Protection, and Vigor and ample time to cast them before any big fight.
•Make sure the less skilled combatants are not being engaged with the most powerful foes, give them an alternate way to contribute like a hostile spirit or something.
•If things are still too lethal, don't let enemies crit or deal special damage.
•Lastly, you could fight more sentients and take advantage of the Ransom system both ways.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

aldantefax posted:

I first came across Runequest in 2nd edition when you could buy the box that came with the green d20s that you had to crayon in, with Cormod the Pict or whatever as the example character. I was too young at the time to really 'get' it but the idea you could get worse as a character by chance and leveling up only skills you used in very small increments was definitely something that I still remember.

If I wanted a comprehensive entry into this latest edition as a GM, is there anything in the product line that would be skippable, price notwithstanding? I prefer my books in print but I could probably get all the published books but Red Book of Magic looks PDF only for now.

Get the Core book and the Bestiary, you can skip the rest. Red Book of Magic is cool but also kind of useless without the cult compendium coming later.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

aldantefax posted:

Does that mean the adventure compendiums and the setting information is bunk, or it's skippable because of some other reason?

Nah they're fine, it's just that Core and Bestiary are all you need to GM. Everything else you can just buy if you like the sound of it.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The free quickstart adventure is actually a really solid start. Other ones I like are:
Urvantan's Tower (in The Smoking Ruin), if you want to go to the Grazelands
The Pairing Sones (in The Pegasus Plateau), if you want to go to Prax
the GM Screen Pack is good if you just want to stay in Sartar

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The "hammerhead" there is the Block of Earth, i.e. the cube earth of Glorantha, which is typically depicted as Lodril's head in solar cultures

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

One neat little excerpt from the upcoming GM guide mentions that Heroquesters often have a recurring stable of rival/ally questers that will keep showing up on their quests, even if they're miles or even continents away. If the encounter is memorable you could have that quester keep showing up as Yelmalio in their quests in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Where are the Wasp Riders and the Telmori?