Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

If I already have the Guide to Glorantha and Heroquest Glorantha (which is the system I'll be playing in), what additional information is present in the Glorantha sourcebook? I'm not opposed to getting it if it has a lot of information on deities I don't already know about via kodp but if it's just redundant Guide information and the Satarite pantheon I'll pass.

The Book of Heortling Mythology is excellent if you're playing in an Orlanthi society.

Nanomashoes posted:

Are there any heroquests with a part for Maran Gor? I can't really find any in old edition books. I'm playing an initiate of her and I've been combing books for mentions of any deeds she's done that could maybe be made into one but all I have are:

Here's some snippets about Maran Gor from the Heortling Mythology book:

As well as the myth of the shaker beasts, Maran Gor also rescued most of the domesticated animals from the wicked shapechanger Seravus, who was the son of a rock, and possibly related to her hated foe, Tekakos, who was also a rock. She thus ensured that Orlanthi would have cows and chickens and stuff forevermore.

Because mountains can't grow without Maran Gor's shaking the earth, the Earth sometimes looks to her for protection: "the earth stopped moving and grew weak and the mountains no longer grew. When she was gone, the goddesses felt exposed and more frightened".

Maran alongside Orlanth, defeated Veskarthen when he attacked the Earth (this story isn't elaborated on).

She's also worshipped on Shutting the Door day, whatever that is. I'm sure you could make some story out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

TheNamedSavior posted:

On a different, non-Kralorela topic, but still related to how Glorantha sucks needs to be improved: I've considered the idea of rewriting Glorantha to be less "gendered". But I'm cis, so I'm struggling to come up with ideas. The biggest one I have is that gender technically does not exist for Man and Deities, but something happened in the past that caused the people of Glorantha to be enforced into gender roles, during the God's Time, and the only reason gods seem to have gender is just because that's how the unwoke humans see them. Different cultures have different explanations for why we were split into the strict lens of gender, but these are usually obscure and not well known, because of authority figures all around the world saying that "we've always been like this"...we haven't.

But, If you ask me, The Uz either got past or just avoided this all together. The Trolls don't have gender pronouns in their language and are all non-binary. Sex and Gender are different things (as in real life) and Troll's sexual organs depend on what type of troll they are (In fact all Trollkin are sexless lmao). Some trolls do have gender identities but it's entirely up to them to decide that, not society.

...Does anyone else have any ideas?

I don't know much other than Heortling/Dragon Pass culture, but I've always imagined their conception of gender to coincide with their deities; for example, an Ernaldan is a gender, as is an Eurmali. In a line-up of naked, tattoo-less people, they might assume that you're an Orlanthi or Ernaldi (and they'd probably be right 80% of the time), but I figure once you're dressed up and tattooed, it'd be relatively clear.

I reckon the Gods probably invented gender during the Green Age when they were figuring out/making up the differences between things.

I do like the gender stuff though, it makes me think of exotic cultures and mysticism and the power that comes with being male/female, like the power of the women's hut for example. Maybe that's an unpopular take though.

I thought trolls were terribly matriarchal, to the point that most non-uz have never seen a female troll because they're off trying to become immortal in the underworld. I'm sure I read that somewhere.