Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The actual records isn't that much of a problem: the Dara Happa also have records back before the dawn, just not great ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I think the black elves technically aren't elves, but also for 99% of purposes yes the black elves are fungal elves.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Well, because blue elves are mostly an undersea thing for merfolk to deal with, and black elves are mostly an underground thing for Uz to deal with. (They actually are supposed to have fairly descent relationship, surprisingly.) While the kelp based blue elves and fern based red elves of pamaltela don't claim descent from Aldrya they do at least still claim descent from Flamal, the black elves don't even have that.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Idly clicking around on the wiki and discovered the existence of Gwalynkus the Good, 1/4 dryad, 1/4 Mostali, married and had a kid with a sentient wheel.

Pavis, (the guy that is) you're way less impressive than I though uh were.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Whoa, this is amazing. Where is Argan Argar? There by a different name?

Argan Argar is the son of Xentha. Where does Xentha come from? Not really made clear. Some places seem to suggest that the Uz aren't really sure where she comes from themselves. The assumption would be that the night goddess in SOME way relates to the darkness gods but it's also not impossible that she's got some other weirder origin.

(In the course of googling I came across a theory that Argan Argar is actually the son of Yelm and Xentha, with a corollary that this means that the Argan Argar vs Lodril fight wasn't actually the source of Argan Argar being able to command Lodril, but rather Argan Argar already had that and the fight was the process of convincing Lodril of that fact. Fun if I'm not sure I'm really convinced by it, though it does serve to explain where Argan Argar gets the Mastery rune from.)

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 16, 2020

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'd say you could mess up WIZARDS that way, but you couldn't mess up wizardry itself. All the formulas still work exactly the same as they did, the right heroquest could just make wizards in the appropriate area worse at applying them. But that's not "gut-stabbing-mathematics" it's just performing an appropriate heroquest, same as any other heroquest (to the degree that there's such a thing as any other heroquest.)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Theistic societies can be traumatically changed or wiped from existence. The existence of theism can't be. The existence of animism can't be. And the existence of wizardry can't be. Wizard societies HAVE been traumatically changed and wiped from existence.

Also, the Malkioni objectively are right about the cosmos. Animism and Theism are just also objectively right about the cosmos.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Narsham posted:

In the same way, you can't go beat up the Invisible God. If you found him and beat him up, by definition that wasn't the Invisible God. The trade-off for that mythic isolation is that believers have no direct line of access.

Eh, there was still interaction between what i'm just going to vaguely describe as Malkion poo poo and gods during the gods wars. Maybe you aren't technically interacting with Zzabur himself*, but you can still go through a heroquest that has effects quite alike to if you went through a heroquest that interacted with Zzabur himself. The difference between going into a heroquest and kicking Zzabur in the nads to weaken the capabilities of local Malkioni and going into a heroquest and kicking a theistic memory of the-time-your-god-kicked-Zzabur-in-the-nads in the nads to weaken the capabilities of local Malkioni, is a difference that's very real, but you still can end up with the local Malkioni being worse at magic for a while either way.

*Maybe you are though, to the degree that heroquesting involves literally traveling through not-technically-time to interact with the actual full on gods war, if you travel to an event that involved Zzabur then yes you might very well be interacting with zzabur himself.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The Zistor project also wasn't just about making a new god. There were potentially factions among the God-Forgot Godlearners interested in building a replacement god, but their pitch to the rest of the god learners was basically "our mathematical models suggest there's another pair of Forces beyond the 8 forces we know about. Our theory is chaos is one half of it but there's a missing Purification rune that's the other half. We're going to try to create this missing rune."

So it may not have actually been the God-Creating itself that brought Orlanth down on the project.

The other thing is, the Uz gods had already shown up to try to put down Nyasalor, that's where the trollkin curse comes from. So it could also be a matter of anything from "the Uz gods called dibs, we don't want EVERYONE showing up when someone breaks the compromise because that would cause even more problems than it solves" to in theory even "orlanth saw the Trollkin curse and decided he didn't want any of that. This new Arkat plan sounds like a much better idea."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

wiegieman posted:

I genuinely do not get why the nomads haven't just left. Prax is so awful, their entire mythology boils down to "and then Waha taught us how to barely survive in the horrible wasteland the gods left behind."

I guess the better land is taken.

Magic is a pretty important part of survival in Glorantha, and SOME sort of mythic connection to the land in which you live is actually pretty important to your magic working right. Some of the praxian nomads probably do leave Prax, but I doubt they recognizably stay praxian nomads for long, when their magic is so specialized for living in prax.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Blind Azathoth posted:

the Sartar homeland book

Oh come the gently caress on, another one?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Grain goddesses DEFINITELY going away satisfied

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Mimir posted:

Here’s an idea I’ve been toying with, maybe as a big campaign finale to heroquest into, to really make my glorantha vary: What if Orlanth didn’t kill Yelm? We know that they both think the killing went the way it did because of the essential difficulties of Justice and Rulership - but what if, deep in the godtime, we’ve all been missing the essential setup for The Greatest Murder Mystery of All Time?

The pelorians already think orlanth didn't kill yelm, but rather orlanth killed yelm's oldest son and yelm got Really Sad and went to the underworld to be sad abut it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
"Personal friend of Greg wanted to make a Glorantha game and started a studio for it" it sounds like.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tias posted:

New to the setting, and some questions I find kinda hard to answer:

- Do Dragonnewts remember all their past lives in detail? If so, aren't they more or less impossible to play, being immortal sages with good recall?

- Do 'regular spells' below the level of Heroquesting exist? I only have experience with Glorantha from King of Dragon Pass, and that kind of implies that warriors emit some sort of magic when attacking, but it seems more like a group phenomenon. Can I cast a spell to make light, get magic armor or gank someone like in mainstream fantasy settings? Or is it more a matter of completing a hero quest and then getting a magic benefit for a while?

- I guess what I'm getting at is, how do you run this as an RPG? I'm sort of leery of Runequest and 13th Age, and wouldn't buy either without a strong recommendation. I like Shadow of the Demon Lord which seems portable, but I don't know how to do magic then.

An "orthodox" dragonnewt is basically impossible to play not so much because of the past lives thing but because they're too fuckin' weird and alien and atemporal.

Absolutely, everyone has access to magic in Glorantha, it is an intensely magical world. A significant amount of that (at least in the theistic societies, there separate paradigms about how the world works with basically completely different magical systems) is from low level membership in religious cults, but also sometimes people just have magical abilities because they saved the life of a magic fox or were born under the right stars or "yeah ted can just stand on clouds for some reason, iunno."

Honestly as an answer to both that AND the "how do you run this as an RPG" check out Heroquest Glorantha. The system and examples does a pretty good job of pointing you towards how magic generally works.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

The prosopaedia just dropped, and it has finally ended the Elmal/Yelmalio debate for all time until the next attempt to finally end the Elmal/Yelmalio debate for all time.

lotta boobs and dicks in it as well.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
He's never felt particularly statis-y to me, if one would insist it seems really more like law as one of his big two and statis as minor

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Stasis has always been a little weird in that the name of the Rune kind of adopts the most negative take on the concept possible, like if the Air Rune was actually called "Rebellion".

Not... really? "The most negative take on the concept" would be like, stagnation. Statis is honestly a pretty fair word to use where yeah it kinda makes you think of stagnation but it also kinda makes you think of like, stability.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tulip posted:

I mean I definitely have "stasis" as a kind of negative thing, and I think "stability rune" would be a more neutral phrasing, but I've always kind of read the decision to call it a "stasis rune" as a sort of pro-orlanth political decision in the texts we're most familiar with. Like the excessive stability of Yelm is kind of his flaw and why Orlanth was so heroic for standing up to him and that's the conflict between Motion and Stasis and so much of what we read about Glorantha comes from an Orlanthi/pro-Orlanthi standpoint that yeah its easy to see the Stasis rune as just kind of poo poo.

Yeah I just think that says more about you than about the terminology. Which is separate from saying it says bad things about you, just that it seems like a rorschach test sort of deal more than anything else.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
If nothing else I feel like his "it's definitely 100% the yelmalions that are right" really goes against the spirit of the setting

(personally In My Glorantha Yelmalio/Elmal is Ernalda's son with Yelm and, in proper kid-of-divorced-parents fashion, is Yelmalio when Ernalda and Orlanth say he can't have a new xbox so he's trying to see if Yelm will give him one and Elmal when Yelm says he can't have a sleepover and he's trying to see if Ernalda and Orlanth will let him. Only the Esrolians openly describe it that way though, and I certainly wouldn't go out and say "this is how the setting should definitively be".)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

White Coke posted:

Elmal being the Orlanthi sun god does then raise the question of what the Lightbringer Quest was for, was it just to get Yelm to give up some of his power to make Elmal strong enough to fill in his father's role as the sun? If so it doesn't seem like he's making amends for his wrongs or compromising since he's giving his subordinate more power which means making himself more powerful. I've read a bit about the theory that the Lightbringer Quest was originally the Lifebringer Quest intended to resurrect Ernalda but that it supposedly got hijacked to bring back Yelm or something.

By my understanding this is not a theory so much as "historical reality" as much as anything gets to be historical reality in Glorantha, the discovering of the Lightbringer's variation of the Lifebringer's quest and subsequently completely subsuming the Lifebringer's quest is something that happened inside of time and if you go to the right places you can find historical records of it having happened, people know who did it, when it happened, and why (Harmast Barefoot, During the Gbaji wars, to rescue Arkat from death).

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

So, the Lightbringers' journey got added into God Time after God Time became a thing? That sounds weird.

The lifebringer's quest is "Orlanth went down to the underworld to rescue Ernalda and I guess he ran into The Bad Emperor along the way and went 'eh i guess having the sun around was actually kinda nice too' also."

The Lightbringer's quest is "After Ernalda died Orlanth decided the killing yelm was kind of a fuckup and went down to fix it which would also involve bringing Ernalda back to life." The actual events were functionally the same, the only difference was motives and intentionality, and given that the Lightbringer's quest basically ended up being better than the Lifebringer's quest in every way, hence completely supplanting the Lifebringer's quest, it seems extremely likely that the Lightbringer's quest was in fact MORE accurately describing the motives and intentionality of what actually happened in the god time.

That being said, "Getting added into the god time after the god time became a thing" isn't really that unusual though. People in Glorantha seem to grab myths from similar gods and smash them onto their own god all the time, and not ALL of those cases were actually different facets of the same god.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Heroquest specifically is narrativist enough that it doesn't really need TOO much of a separate system for heroquesting, it literally grew out of attempts to write a heroquesting system for runequest.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like "the cultural appropriators will always be right" is never going to be a satisfying solution to this problem.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

White Coke posted:

So he's the sun god but he's not the sun itself and instead helps fulfill its functions and protect it? Isn't that similar to the role of Lightfore gods who represent the sun's light and serve as intermediaries?

No, because the lightfore gods represent a explicitly separate celestial object.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Having Yelmalio and also Elmal is not remotely inaccessible though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Honestly i'm pretty sure the implication is supposed to be "the god learners were like 80% right, if they weren't they would've have been able to get the results they did, but HO BOY were they not willing to accept that 20%, and also they were huge assholes about it."