Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

BitD does have the hooks to make heroquesting both more integrated into the system and different from normal play in an interesting way, too. The thoughts I had was that setting up the heroquest is a downtime activity. Once you're in the god time, your position (i.e., how bad things go if you fail your roll) is determined by how closely you follow the story. Your effect (i.e., how good things go if you succeed) is determined by what the god you're emulating is at the action you're taking. Chance of success is determined as usual by your own stats.

Generally speaking, as a KoDP/Six Ages player, I'm pretty disappointed in the minor place heroquesting is given in both the Runequest and Heroquest books, when to me it's one of the defining things about the setting.

I’ve been thinking about Blades Glorantha a fair bit lately. I’d probably have it with a long-term project first for heroquests to represent getting the cult/sacrifices together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Bendigeidfran posted:

Given recent circumstances, I figure I may as well dip my toes into the foul Chaos of thread necromancy.

I’m sure this thread has talked about this before, but you can trace a fairly straight line between Ken Rolston’s involvement in Morrowind and the increased weirdness Kirkhope and others felt comfortable putting in that beautiful, beautiful game

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Is Cult Compendium and Gods of Glorantha the canonical Big Book Of Cults for RQG until they put out whatever big book of magic they’re working on?

Mimir fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 22, 2020

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I regret not realizing until after my group did clan and chargen that I could describe what happened to Arkat as “a classic reverse Shrek 2 situation”

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I like Middle Sea Empire, but I’m just a sucker for God Learner stuff generally.

Also, the Magic of Glorantha book is out in a month, according to this blog post about how Chaosium is hiring an art director. We’ve heard a lot about how waiting for art to come in has really affected the schedule, hopefully this smoothes that out a little. https://www.chaosium.com/blogchaosium-welcomes-art-director-jaye-kovach-to-the-team/

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I'm going to do a nice, long writeup of my ongoing game when we're through a full year, but long story short - It's 1624, my players are members of a Lismelder clan. They bring gifts to a lunar mining operation in the Starfire Ridges (trying to excavate the ruins under there or free some of the cinder pits demons) and are greeted peacefully. They poison the lunars with rotten fish (given as a gift) and free the mining slaves in the confusion. The slaves at this installation aren't locals - they're captives from the White Moon rebellion.

Now, they're heading back to their village, which is on the river a few miles west of the Old Elf Ruins.

What does the blowback look like? Only a few of the Lunar guards died in the fight but they know the clan the players are from. I'm assuming that the brunt of the Lunar army is still working on the Temple of the Reaching moon, but I figure in the near to medium term we're looking at an occupation of the town, searches, a stepped-up local presence. I don't want to really crush them but I don't want to pull my punches on the reaction from the Empire.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
(Please let me know if these questions are too long, too specific, or belong in like the GM advice thread or something, I figure y'all enjoy spouting lore at me as much as I enjoy spouting it at my players, and the stuff from last time, when I asked about Lunar retribution, was very useful background)

Coming up in the next session - these opening arcs have been about introducing the areas around my Lismelder clan players - they're going to be helping some Locacem allies launch a raid on the Sun Dome Templars in Vannatar. This might include calling for an alliance with some friends in Beast Valley, sneaking around, or joining the raid itself.

They know that the Sun Templars have a superweapon - a smaller, more mobile prototype for the Harpoon that's in Sun County. They plan on moving it to the river, which will let them search traffic crossing the Stream to Clearwine with their Lunar allies. One of them already wants to steal it, because they're a PC.

What they'll probably learn over the adventure is that the Templars plan on sending a champion on the heroquest "The Path of Lightfore" - (Arcane Lore p109) to bless the ballista. The PCs might disrupt the ritual beforehand, but they might also oppose it in progress, or get wrapped up in it - the PCs might act as sabatours in their ritual role as testers, which is my understanding of how this works.

How does being the enemy on a Heroquest work? The example is usually the Summons of Evil, where someone hears a call to be the bad guy, but how do you choose to get involved as a disruptive force? Do you see yourself as the unnamed, minor gods in the opponent's myth, or do you embody your own gods?

Mimir fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 22, 2021

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Here's my rough Faction Table.

Tier 1 is clan strength (might change that around), Tier 2 is tribe strength, Tier 4 is Kingdom, and Tier 5 is the Lunar Empire (the Emperor should also only be tier 5.) In a lot of the high level overviews you don't really get a lot of smaller factions that the PCs could reasonably come up against. I should reread the Red Cow book, which probably includes a few, but I'm going to need to figure out some more adventuring parties, merchant families, raiding armies, and small-scale Hero types.

Mimir fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 5, 2021

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Tulip posted:

That is nice and good but where are the ducks?

I knew I forgot something! They just befriended a contact named Wiggum Blacktail, who wants to become a chieftain in Duck Point. Chief Wiggum.

Also, this hack is called "Blades and the Duck".

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Wasp Riders and Telmori absolutely belong on here. I’m leaving out a few things that are in the far northeast and unlikely to muscle in - one thing I want to be aware of in contrast to Blades is that factions have limited scope and territory, and much less ability to project power far beyond their borders. But the Telmori are significant!

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Here’s an idea I’ve been toying with, maybe as a big campaign finale to heroquest into, to really make my glorantha vary: What if Orlanth didn’t kill Yelm? We know that they both think the killing went the way it did because of the essential difficulties of Justice and Rulership - but what if, deep in the godtime, we’ve all been missing the essential setup for The Greatest Murder Mystery of All Time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

The pelorians already think orlanth didn't kill yelm, but rather orlanth killed yelm's oldest son and yelm got Really Sad and went to the underworld to be sad abut it.

Right, duhhh. Anyway, let's not talk about my obvious lore messup - the old board games are getting reprinted.