Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My basic impression is that the RuneQuest system is fairly crunchy in a dull way and I'd much rather be playing HeroQuest and going full storygame, but maybe somebody who's actually used it has more valuable commentary?

That said, the art is gorgeous and I appreciate their getting the bestiary out very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'd really like to see a game focused on playing Lunars, but not, like, a stupid one.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Is The Rough Guide to Glamour any good?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

So, not the interesting and nuanced take on the Lunar Empire I've been wanting for some time.

Although, the Elvis thing might even work. I will never forget reading about Moonson in the Guide to Glorantha as someone who 'makes the happiness of his people his top priority' and thinking that was a weird thing to say unironically about the head of a conquering empire, and then later reading an older book that said exactly the same thing but used a phrasing that made it clear that what it actually meant was "Moonson is tripping balls at 100% of all times," which the Guide evidentally copied without understanding.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Moonson is tripping balls because A) the parties are so great that people get Illuminated at them and B) somebody has to keep all those Illuminates occupied or they'll start doing things and that's bad when Illuminates are involved.

That would definitely be a much more interesting take on him, yeah.

"We're so good at helping people achieve mystical enlightenment and power that we had to start a sybaritic cult just to keep all these demigods busy" is certainly a thing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Illumination seems to let you break a lot of rules.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Do we know anything at all about where Gods of Glorantha stands as of right now?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Warthur posted:

Here's Chaosium's official rundown of how they are handling canon these days.

In summary:
- They regard canon as solely relevant to their own purposes in terms of publishing stuff and keeping things straight and encourage anyone who is not actually Chaosium to not sweat it too much.
- Guide to Glorantha, Glorantha Sourcebook, and King of Sartar are the main foundational canon texts, along with a few pamphlets from the Stafford Library.
- "95%" of the RQ2/RQ3 work is considered still compatible, except some bits have changed in light of the Guide to Glorantha - the depictions of the Western regions from RQ3 are cited as having changed.
- In terms of cult stuff, Trollpac, Cults of Prax, and Cults of Terror are cited as being sources they "heavily rely on" - that'd correspond to Cult Compendium, so I guess Gods of Glorantha is secondary to that.
- Mongoose poo poo is specifically punted out of canon with extreme prejudice, in terms which are so amusing I do suggest clicking on that link to read what's said. The bridge is not just burned, it is nuked.

No, I mean, the book of that name that they were working on, or whatever they called it. The one that used to be Belintar's Book.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is there a reference sheet with all the common Rune Spells everyone has so I can just give those to players?

I think they just updated Red Book of Magic with a separate spell PDF reference.

Meanwhile, apparently there's an additional book of the Stafford Library, The Missing Lands, which is all about Pamaltela and islands, that isn't for sale with the rest. I wonder what's up with that?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

CHIMlord posted:

Not the part about White Moon cultists getting no magic, which I feel was a bad decision.

Given how many total shits who are clearly just making up anything that makes them look good still get magic in Glorantha, being the one cult that doesn't sounds incredibly terrible.

Also, uh, nobody will play them if they don't get powers, so yeah, bad decision.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly, the sourcebook is probably more useful. The Guide to Glorantha is chock-full of pages devoted to worthless bullshit.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's filled with page after page of highly-detailed terrain maps that serve no useful purpose whatsoever, and details of a vast number of very small locations, each of which gets exactly one (1) detail about them, which is not enough to ever use them, but which, collectively, make the book bloated.

It's like one of the old Forgotten Realms supplements that includes every single word Greenwood ever put into his campaign notes on a topic, whether it was relevant or not. Every city that was ever given a name has to be in there so that the setting can look "real", whether those details are useful to anybody or not.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm not a super Glorantha lore nerd, but the idea that if the God Learners recognized two gods as being equivalent, they're literally and objectively the same being, sounds... wrong?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

They were often right, and often wrong.

Well, yeah, that's my point; the two things that the Goddess Switch demonstrated were:

1) that the God Learners were right, and that gods from different pantheons were equivalent, and
2) that the God Learners were wrong, because the goddesses were also distinct from each other and couldn't perform each others roles correctly.

Going from that to, "yeah, they're exactly the same thing" seems like someone missed the subtext (again).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Narsham posted:

One thing I didn't like was identifying Gbaji explicitly as Nysalor and not Arkat. That's not wrong, exactly, but it's disappointing to think that it's right. Something tricky happened on the Heroplane when those two confronted each other and it's not clear whether the survivor of the confrontation was even the same being.

I noticed that, although I feel as though it's likely that the Lunar book will do the opposite and identify Gbaji as Arkat.

Deptfordx posted:

When are the 2 new cult books out in PDF anyway?

Two days ago.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like that kind of summarizes my beef with a lot of recent Glorantha material: that it treats stuff people say about the world as objectively factual rather than reflecting some kind of ideological or political reality, and winds up presenting a complex situation ("the Solar Pantheon followers are trying to fold Storm Pantheon gods into their model") as having a simple solution ("and they're right!") that kind of gives me the impression that they just never noticed the subtext.

See also: Moonson being a useless sybarite.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Stasis has always been a little weird in that the name of the Rune kind of adopts the most negative take on the concept possible, like if the Air Rune was actually called "Rebellion".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, the real problem with "Elmal is just Yelmalio" is that from an in-character perspective, announcing that Elmal is just Yelmalio doesn't actually resolve anything.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

So, the Lightbringers' journey got added into God Time after God Time became a thing? That sounds weird.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Can you even get that any longer?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like "the cultural appropriators will always be right" is never going to be a satisfying solution to this problem.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The thing is, "people are leaving Cult A for Cult B because it's politically convenient" is an interesting story. So is "people are leaving Cult A because Cult B has a charismatic leader who gives access to better magic," or "people are leaving Cult A because Cult A is being suppressed and Cult B isn't."

What isn't an interesting story is "people are leaving Cult A because someone used math to prove that their god was actually a totally different god all along."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't know if there's that big a demand for Elmal and Yelmalio to be completely separate? Like, it's part of the appeal that they're suspiciously similar; the problem is that someone went and solved the mystery in the most boring way possible.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

This all seems like a lot of minutiae when the only really important thing is "the Storm pantheon should be allowed to have its own sun god rather than having a sun god who they think is part of their pantheon, but really belongs to the Sky pantheon, because they are dumb." Even if some things in the setting are mysterious or May Vary, they should at least be allowed to have their own book presented from their perspective, rather than having Elmal "cut for space" from a book he's already in.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kestral posted:

This discussion makes me curious about something. As someone who's mostly on the periphery of Gloranthan fandom because I find the setting fascinating but haven't made the time to read its vast corpus, I'm wondering: how definitive is the material in the Guide to Glorantha? And by definitive I mostly mean, adhering to Greg Stafford's interpretations and statements as closely as possible, rather than his acolytes and successors. One of these days I'm going to set all my other reading aside and just devour a huge chunk of Glorantha texts, and I've always meant to make the Guide a part of that (I've only read chunks), but this Jeff character makes me a wee bit concerned about non-Stafford influences.

It's sort of definitive but also weird in some ways?

In particular, as you've probably noticed, some parts of Glorantha have had a lot more words devoted to them than others, so that you get a general ranking of "Dragon Pass > (vast gulf) > places that are culturally linked to Dragon Pass in some way > (even vaster gulf) anywhere else". There just hasn't been a lot written about, say, Kralorela, and most of what has been written is generally agreed to be Kinda Racist and not that great. So in some places the Guide is a definitive compilation of a bunch of material that desperately needs a rewrite.

I've also noticed places where somebody has read material from older books and imported it into the Guide but missed the subtext, like how modern Glorantha books tend to describe the Lunar Emperor as "devoted to the people's pleasure and happiness", whereas the older books made it clear that this is the official story, which is a cover for the fact that he's a grotesque sybarite who provides absolutely nothing useful to the Imperial government.

Other than that, though, it's a very good compilation of what has come before.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

wiegieman posted:

The art is great though, if there's one thing Jeff Richard can do it's get good art.

Ah, yeah, these books are certainly extremely-professional productions.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

White Coke posted:

Elmal, and Elmali clans are still around in the canon and even the present time of the setting. Elmal's myths are still true to an extent and can be heroquested. Elmal's worshippers didn't lose all access to their magic after Monrogh's revelation. You can play an Elmali who rejects the fact that Elmal is Yelmalio a go on all sorts of adventures based on that belief, but still receive spells and recover rune points because your character's understanding of their god is still kind of right.

That sounds incredibly patronizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

In retrospect I think the thing about Elmal/Yelmalio is that it lands right smack of the issues I've always had with Glorantha, where it wants everybody to get to be Right but also wants gods to objectively exist and not just be the product of Ascension-style consensual reality. It's never really resolved this inconsistency, so when you ask a question like "were the God-Learners right?" the best answer you can get is "he's right, but he shouldn't have said it."