Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ainda_ posted:

uh hell yeah tysm! yea lemme know if you find it, that's ridiculously generous of you.

https://twitter.com/ialdounet/status/1281266619684212736

The third one here that's either Argath or Starbrow or an anonymous Vingan in particular is sick as hell.

EDIT: idk who that first one I linked is supposed to be, I've just assumed its an anonymous moon sorceress of some kind. I'm gonna say she's from the Sister's Army, cuz Deneskerva is cool.

That's the stuff that would go on to inspire Dark Souls.

Edit: Should have fully caught up before posting.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Well, the Dark Souls plots are all variations of Heroquests, in a way. Linking the Fire like the Gods did.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

All the Glorantha references are cut content.

Quelaag and Kirk are right there in the game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The aesthetics for some of the Demons are there, yeah, and the names like the Cragspiders and Jareel, but I mean like all the sort of real meaningful aesthetics and vibes and tones and Big Ideas I associate with Glorantha aren't really there.

EDIT: Wait, how was Kirk a reference?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bad move, you don't gently caress with the ducks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I got a copy of the Glorantha Sourcebook, thinking it was the Guide to Glorantha.

No regrets, it looks amazing, but lol.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

You know, I often joke that the Dark Souls series are just a big Heroquest of Linking the Fire, but I never sat down and really thought about it.

It kinda fits though, doesn't it?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Oh yeah, I know that!

I'm jsut thinking about the metaphysics of actually trying to figure out the Linking of the Fire heroquest.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Nessus posted:

I would simply worship Humakt with my fellow ducks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

They should make a Heroquest Glorantha. Like they did Warhammer Quest.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

Morrowind is basically a Glorantha game

So is Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Xenolalia posted:

This was a big takeaway so far for me, immediately just talking about everlasting dragons and time emerging from stasis. It's very much less aesthetically evident in dark souls though, I find the Gloranthan pseudo-fertile crescent aspects to be more immediately cool than the kind of knights wearing plate visuals of ds.

Well, that's because Glorantha is just one of of a bunch of inspirations along with Berserk and Fighting Fantasy etc. But it is one of them, Miyazaki said he keeps his copy of the old Dragon Pass boardgame in his office.