Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
In general the rules for HeroQuesting seem to be rather diffused across books or absent. Are there any of those Chaosium 2e reprints with rules for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

White Coke posted:

Does it have the rules for illumination? The rulebook said those would be in the Gamemaster's Guide along with a bunch of other rules.

I believe that is coming in the Cult book, since Illumination is necessary to being a direct cultist of the Red Goddess and not just doing it through the Seven Mothers. Hopefully we see some new stuff, a LOT of this edition's stuff is directly cribbed from older material.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Generally, an Orlanthi person who identifies as a man is never getting into a cult that is only for women without doing some serious God-Learner or Illuminate poo poo, but trans folk probably can. After all, initiates of Nandan are accorded the same rights as any Ernaldan cultist, getting to go into the special women's-only places without getting killed by an Axe Maiden. Presumably one who initiates into adulthood via the Nandan way gets to do whatever Earth cult stuff they want.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Blind Azathoth posted:

100% agreed about Argrath. Mechanics that I personally do not care for aside, the thing I most dislike about the new Runequest is moving the timeline forward (to a less interesting period, IMO) and subsequently defining Argrath as a specific NPC that no PC could ever hope to be as strong or cool as, so they just fetch magic items for him or whatever.

As for Kallyr... she is killed off in King of Sartar, so it's not a new development, but Glorantha has never been good to women. Female warrior cults are uncommon and often portrayed as horrifying perversions (e.g. the Gors, Gorgorma), and when they did come up with an Orlanthi fighting goddess who wasn't a scary freak, Vinga, the next edition decided to downgrade her to a one-paragraph subcult of Orlanth, with the official line being that she isn't even a separate person with her own myths, just Orlanth who incarnated as a woman once. Where women have political power in the world, it generally is portrayed as monstrous (e.g. trolls) or only allows women to choose the men who lead them (e.g. Doraddi), and even in such areas it is still expected that men do the fighting and adventuring while women stay home to "rule" the home. The only major egalitarian society is the default bad guys. A large majority of all named goddesses are healer/mother/fertility stereotypes. And so on and so forth.

It's what happens when the creator is a hippie shaman who, while being a good and kind person by all accounts, believes in universal active masculine/passive feminine energy, the setting's next steward is an American Republican, and virtually every person to ever officially contribute to the setting is a white dude.

I feel like it is a bit complicated since I, as a lady, do get a little weary of the narrative that a woman needs to be able to and ready to inflict violence upon her fellow humans in order to really be as equal as men (sometimes it is in fact good and cool to be the kindly Ernaldan that helps feed the tribe, raise the kids, and steer the warriors away from senseless violence), but at the same time, I recognize that it really does suck rear end that exclusive women warrior cults in games primarily focused around fighting (or well, at least Runequest and 13th Age in Glorantha are) are usually restricted to ""that one time Orlanth did a gender bender to kill a monster", "scary Earth cult thing that threatens castration upon men", "scary Dark cult thing that will eat men and rule over them", and finally "horrid Lunar sophist out to destroy the world". I suppose at the very least that Urox and Humakt not nearly being so picky as the other gods are in allowing women into their warrior cults does take the sting out of it, but it still does kind of annoy me.

I dunno, maybe the devs will stop focusing so much on pleasing its extremely old core fanbase of literal boomers since I can't imagine that's very viable, but then again, those dudes do have more money on average than the average piece of poo poo millennial such as myself.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 4, 2020

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

JanPospisil posted:

Interesting. Do you think Six Ages does that too?

IIRC, there's only one female-restricted warrior cult (Osara IIRC) but it's portrayed fairly nicely since it has a fair bit of independence from the Elmal cult (Osara isn't Elmal trying to get around the ol "No man of woman born" thing), fits in quite nicely with the Riders' theme of "we can and should change things for the betterment of our tribe", and I'm always for more Sun/Sky cults that aren't complete dickheads.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Sometimes I wonder how the other cultures saw stuff like the Lightbringers Quest. Every book does hype it up to be basically the most insanely important thing to have happened, the last ditch effort to fix the world and stop Chaos, but you never really get a view of it outside of the Orlanthi account. Do the peoples with Fire pantheon gods go, "I guess Umatum the Rebel did something right for once in his miserable life?" Do Westerners analyze it as more of a scientific thing where specific runes and burtae interacted in order to reboot the world? Do the Pamaltelans even know what the gently caress happened?

gently caress I don't even know where the Lunar Empire would go in their description of the Lightbringers Quest.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I do respect Humakt for being a stubborn shithead who wanders around going "NO THAT'S THE WRONG KIND OF DEATH" at everyone he sees and is also probably Illuminated since he met Rashoran and learned something from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I would like to see the family history table stuff for people born in areas outside of Dragon Pass and its immediate neighbors, some day. I want to know exactly what my dickhead Zzaburi was doing in 1623!

Also in general I feel like the rune spells could use a bit of expansion. Poor Humakt only has the one spell for dealing with undead and it's the humble Turn Undead, Yelmalio has not much useful for combat, and so on.