Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I see all these passionate lore arguments and I love them, but also I feel like the reality of it is that, due to Runequest being a very mid system, its ultimately dueling for whether you get Elmal with four spells (and maybe two of them actually do anything for an adventurer) or Yelmalio with four rune spells. Meanwhile, Orlanth gets a selection of 23 spells if you go with the Adventurous subcult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Gorelab posted:

That is a weird thing about RQ:G in particular, Jeff has this view that bigger cults are bigger because they're stronger rather than culturally prevalent, so they get everything while smaller cults have trouble even filling their niche. Like Aran Argar doesn't get trade magic because well that's Issaries thing even though he probably should have some but the biggest deal things like Spell Trading.

Jeff is unironically a God Learner in mindset and therefore reduces everything to power levels and personal utility. I read his description for why people worship the littler gods instead of just gunning straight for those who hold a rune or one of the lightbringers, and its essentially, "These guys have marginally useful magic that can be handy sometimes in specific scenarios, and also since its tradition people HAVE to worship these gods, I guess." Dude is just one more logical step away from, "So in order to make these gods more useful, I've decided to do a cool experiment where I prove that they're all the same god."

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

The God-Learners were right and everyone else was just jealous of their speedrunning prowess.