Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Seminal Flu posted:

Shopping for transmission fluid change stuff and spark plugs, since I don't know when these were changed last.

In your heart, you know the truth. never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Looks fine, I'd still run it. :shrug:

As it fills with stuff it filters better than new. Pretty much no modern intake will have a restriction due to the filter getting clogged slightly. Unless mice take up shop in there, I'll probably never replace mine. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Whatever works, it certainly won't hurt to replace it. That does not sound fun to work on.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah I was gonna ask next if it had direct injection.....Short of taking off the heads not much you can do but hope that spraying some poo poo in there will clean it up. Never heard of the CRC stuff but at least someone has something to try and tackle the problem. Anyone tested it yet? You can always go with the AI approved poo poo if that doesn't work seafoam :v:

Pretty common to walnut blast the valves to clean it off as the pimp of meats said, and you don't need to remove the head. It's a very mild abrasive and you can vacuum out most of the media and what doesn't come out will burn up. I don't think there's any way you're going to get away with just using a solvent to get it off. You're gonna have to blast and probably use picks to scrape off that poo poo.

I'm sure I'll have to do it at some point in the future and don't look forward to buying the poo poo to do it or paying to have it done. :v: I really was considering water injection just to help clean that poo poo off.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Eh, I'll run my GTI until it starts misfiring or setting codes and then clean it. Doesn't seem like a huge deal but is another annoying added expensive/effort to put into it. Still, it will probably happen once over the lifetime that I own the car so I'm not too worried about it.

BMW can get away with it because owners are conditioned to paying a shitload of money for their parts and maintenance. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

EGR doesn't help but PCV is pretty bad on some engines. You can't just dump it on the highway like the old days, so the engine is forced to eat it. Catch can would also help but doubt it would eliminate it completely either.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

PCV is definitely an issue. doogle had a bead on it and I ordered a modified unit https://www.rbturbo.com/rbpcv

Those guys sound like they drink their own piss.

"There are none available (nor will there ever be) that beat the performance of this valve."

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

As long as it hasn't done it on subsequent starts, you're probably good.

Until the next thing breaks. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Looks way better. I wish they'd stop putting that lovely chrome around the windows on every car ever made.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

I'm hoping that snugging up the pan bolts I can get to, switching to a heavier 5w40 oil will slow the drips.

:allears:

Best of luck, but I want to see you change it out and remove all that poo poo for :science:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

(the one circled below)

Pics aren't working for me at least. Glad you've got a direction to go at least.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dare I ask how much the water pump replacement is? Sounds like it's an electric pump so maybe it's not mounted in a totally not terrible spot.

:mmmhmm:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

Water pump at Rock Auto is $350-400. On a scale of 1-10, the job is rated :lol: because it's an xi and there is no access from above and almost no access from below, with the added bonus of a subframe exactly where you need to be. So, with the ~5 different hoses, you've got to clock the hose clamps properly and tighten them in the right order, or you're doing it again. :suicide:

Any regrets buying this car yet? High mileage beemer with all the fixins sounds like hell.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

Okay, the whine is getting louder. Transfer case didn't make a difference. Entire drivetrain was dead silent before I hosed with it.

From what I can tell from driving, it seems like the front differential, so I'm going to swap out the Redline fluid for something else. Probably the Mobil 1 that I used in the rear, just because it's easy to locally source.

Is there anything else I should be looking at? I don't have any experience with Redline, other than using it my Miata 15 years ago. I bought it from FCP Euro because they listed it as appropriate, but neither ECS nor Pelican sell it for that application.

I hate to say it, but this sounds like the :allears: moment the thread has been spiraling toward. Hopefully it's an easy fix... Or you do a crazy full tear down with a lot of pictures.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

It's lovely comments like that that really make people want to post.

From the outside looking in, we're talking about a high mileage BMW with a complicated AWD system that's a bitch to work on from the sounds of things. I think you can recognize the potential for issues, here. I'm honestly not trying to be a dick just for the sake of it.

I think it's still a cool car and even said I hope you don't have to deal with the huge amount of work it would be to fix otherwise. But if so, it would be neat to see it since it's a car that's outside my comfort zone of Automotive Sanity. GL :hf:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Guessing he has. If it doesn't do it at idle speed vs. at speed but in neutral then yeah probably drive train/wheel bearing/etc. :(

Seminal Flu posted:

Wheel speed sensors. I ran it in gear on jack stands this morning and there was no noise anywhere. However, the car freaked right the gently caress out, as BMWs are prone to do when they see odd behavior.

Reminds me...We did competitive testing on a 3 series a few years back that freaked out on a fairly banked (think nascar oval) 180 degree turn. I was surprised the ~Ultimate Driving Machine~ can't take a little camber without bitching out.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 24, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Every single time I'm amazed at the length you're able to talk about GM econoboxes. :allears:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Beverly Cleavage posted:

STR post.

Edit: And I mean that in a nice way.

:same:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

meatpimp posted:

My thoughts on this are that a) I may have rotated the driveshaft 90* when I disconnected it to do the transmission fluid. This shouldn't make a difference, but with 155k miles on it, maybe it does? Also, maybe that aggravated some wearing u-joints that are stiff and putting pressure on the bearings either coming out of the transfer case or into the front diff, making them whine.

Does that sound plausible?

I'd think if this were the cause of any problem it'd be vibration vs. noise. If you have the car up on stands, 4 wheels off the ground, can you replicate the noise and isolate it?

E:f;b, etc

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Modern cars, man. Too many buses and modules talking. Finding a very good electrical guy to diagnose is amazing but rare to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

They're not alone anymore. Just give it a few years for corrosion and gremlins to make themselves at home.