Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Is this the Crown Majesta?

For any goons not reading the 'Lets import vehicles from Glorious Nippon for fun & profit' thread. Go. Go Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Just hope that it isn't an injector. They have to have a matching index with the others which usually means replacing all 6 and having to have them coded as well.

BMW.txt

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Maybe it was for low speed communication power?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Big Taint posted:

It’s like playing BMW Bingo, which well known issue will pop up next?

When I test drove a 135i coupe, it was 1: hard starting, 2: sticking parking brake, 3: slow/bad window regulators, 4: HPFP failure.

It's like it told me to go away in German.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Seminal Flu posted:

It really is an extremely bad design choice, and one that most auto makers are making currently. Now that I've seen how nasty it is, I'll be using a can of the CRC stuff into the intake tract as preventative in the Juke, and I'll suggest it to my brother for his GTI and mom for her Beetle... loving hell, a lot of our cars have that stupid design.

I can't say I've ever heard of a MK3 Focus having this problem, and they're all direct injected. What about the Isuzu Axiom? Or a bunch of KIAs with that GDI stuff. It seems to me it's more of a German car issue, as VAG cars are well known for coking up, and apparently so are BMWs. Does Porsche or Mercedes to this too?

I know toyota takes care of it by having a second set of intake injectors.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Seminal Flu posted:

I took on too many jobs at once with this one, I'm burned out with car stuff.

BMW_out_of_warranty_ownership.txt

Goddamn I'm glad I'm reading this thread when I was pining to have another E46 coupe. At no point during my ownership of my previous one did it go 24 hours without something broken.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Seminal Flu posted:

It took a WHILE for it to start the first time, the air/fuel cold start mixture must have been hosed with all of the build-up.

When I test drove a 135 coupe this was the first sign that the HPFP was on it's way out.

If it's not that, perhaps the throttle body was doing its homing procedure. The EJ25 sohc(2008) and the MZR both need to home the throttle body after the ECU has been reset or battery unplugged for a few hours. It's usually 30 seconds of ignition on, no run and then proceed to start.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

What's that aluminum/black plastic device on the front of the engine? I want to say oil filter housing but then it looks like a coolant hose goes to it. What's going on there?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Larrymer posted:

Dare I ask how much the water pump replacement is? Sounds like it's an electric pump so maybe it's not mounted in a totally not terrible spot.

:mmmhmm:

If I recall correctly, it is indeed mounted in a total fuckfest of a spot.

E: from bimmerfest, on an X3, Maybe an x5 would be a better match for you? https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347412

E2: maybe your pump was just never coded to the system and initialized. Kinda like how modern BMWs are with batteries needing to be coded to the charging system.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 16, 2018

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

This is why I always am weary of working on my cars, because of the dread that I'll make them worse instead of better.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Could be a front wheel bearing. Mine sounded like that when it started to go bad, got louder the faster I went.

In my experience, wheel bearings sound like tire rumble. I had two bad fronts in a subaru and it sounded like a B17 flying overhead. My wife's mini needs a new right front and it sounds like it's got a muddin' tire over there.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Have you ruled out the alternator or belt tensioner? Isn't that engine known to have leaks off the oil filter housing onto the belts? A neighbor had what sounded like a mad transmission whine from her car that turned out to be the alternator.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Having fun? That's a mil for you. I got one good pull out of a 135 coupe before it popped a mil and went into reduced power mode. loving BMWs.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

sirr0bin posted:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/cadet-6000xl-mid-rise-scissor-lift/A-p8442444e

A lift without a high ceiling is doable. Thought about buying one of these many times but haven't pulled the trigger.

I can't imagine that lift being useful for anything. It's got the lift guts right where all the poo poo you'd need a lift to work on is located. I'd get quick jacks before that thing.

E: for me it would be useless since an RWD car like a miata would have the drivetrain right above the lift mechanism. For a FWD car it would be useful up until you'd need to access the exhaust.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

sharkytm posted:

Last I checked, very few other cars have a sophisticated current monitoring circuit built into the negative battery cable... That's crazy complicated and unnecessary.

My truck has what looks like an amp clamp around the negative battery wire. I guess it monitors amperage draw, but there's no gauge for it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

meatpimp posted:

More later.

:f5h::dukedoge:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Sounds like the caddy has entered the realm of 'will run poorly longer than other cars will run at all'

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

meatpimp posted:

But after that, I'm finding that the car no longer sparks joy for me.

:same:
I just want a sensible daily to keep miles off my truck now. I'm becoming what I hate.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

meatpimp posted:

It may not be as bad as it sounds. I've been thinking about selling both the Escalade and the BMW and getting a Cayenne turbo, so... welp.

Looks like someone's been reading Bajaha's thread. I had no idea so much overengineering could be contained in one vehicle.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

glyph posted:

Apparently there’s an intermittent issue with the transmission where it will sometimes feel like a tire has a flat spot (?). I have a feeling it’ll be either something simple and inexpensive, or, uh, the polar opposite.

Willing to bet that's a driveshaft issue. Arent the AWD systems from the 5/X5 notorious for making GBS threads the u joints out?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Same as my '02 325 ci. Only one 24 hour period of ownership in two years where something wasn't wrong with it in some way. Awesome car to drive, terrible car to own.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BMW maintenance needs only seems to accelerate as the car ages. My wife's mini has a cracking water pump pulley, that's right, they rubber coated the water pump pulley for reasons. The serp belt is cracking. The right front wheel bearing is really grumbly. There's now a rattle from the front suspension that I suspect is swaybar bushings that requires a loving subframe drop to fix :argh: The washer pump has stopped switching to spray the tailgate glass. It's only 6 years old and I already fear it. I wish she'd let me replace it with a cheap econobox. My 2002 protege had less sunroof issues than my stupid 2002 bmw did. If mazda can move a piece of glass more reliably than a company that bills itself as luxury, someone done hosed up.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Loco moco is spanish for crazy booger.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

meatpimp posted:

Well, last week the independent VW shop said they'd have the Passat ready on Wednesday or Thursday. I called yesterday and the "were working on it." I called this morning to give them an alternate contact number for me and they said that they took it to the VW dealer yesterday to have the module coded and the dealer triggered the immobilizer and it's still there.

:thunk:

The VAG ownership experience is off to an expected start.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

All this because they put the key in the dash instead of in the column with a mechanical cylinder/lock. I'm looking forward to our next episode of 'poo poo that doesn't need to be electronic' when we visit electric parking brakes.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Few things are as expensive as a cheap German car.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

meatpimp posted:

So I paid my tithe and drove home. Only to find the parking brake light on (note: Electronic parking brake)

BloodBag posted:

All this because they put the key in the dash instead of in the column with a mechanical cylinder/lock. I'm looking forward to our next episode of 'poo poo that doesn't need to be electronic' when we visit electric parking brakes.

:stare:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

drat they riveted the gently caress out of that thing. I thought it would be like 3-4 rivets around the basket, but of course it's a VW, so we can't have that.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Didn't Porsche do the same thing?

My 914 did yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Last time I trusted the seals during a rainstorm I ended up with a stinky rear end car and now the whole thing is torn apart to repaint and buy a complete set of new seals. And by that I mean every piece of weather stripping on an NA miata.