Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Seminal Flu posted:

I got the cable and threw the MHD State 1 tune on it and... good news and bad news.

Bad news first -- as soon as it starts to push, it falls on its face. Combustion misfires, cylinder 1. Unknown plug/coil history, so I just ordered a set of both. The holiday fucks me and Amazon won't have the parts here until late in the week, though. :(

The good news is that the code is quickly cleared and it tries again and... gently caress... this thing has a potential to be really fast. Feathering into the throttle in 2nd gear generates one hell of a lot more push than it did before, and that's not even being able to go full-throttle. If I can make this reliable, it'll be an absolute loving beast.

Just hope that it isn't an injector. They have to have a matching index with the others which usually means replacing all 6 and having to have them coded as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Glad to see you're getting this sorted out. If you find oil around the engine check the valve cover, N54/55 are notorious for needing to have it replaced.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Could be a front wheel bearing. Mine sounded like that when it started to go bad, got louder the faster I went.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Is 4 years old crazy or something? The ones on my car are 4 years old now and still have most of their tread. I only drive ~3k miles a year though. And I put winters on for nearly half the year.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Ok that sounds about right. I already inspect them twice a year. When I'm swapping over tires in the spring and fall I check both sets to make sure they're ok.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Speaking of ceramic coatings, do you know of some good step by step paint correction videos? I might take a shot at it with my harbor freight buffer.

There's some links to youtube videos in the OP of the detailing thread. I'm planning on doing that to my current car this summer once it's not so cold out and snowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUHRnHsSXZU

That seems like a good place to start. Skip to 7 min if you don't want to listen to him introduce their buffer over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Automotive electronics design inspiration: christmas lights in series, so when one stops working they all do.