Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

You said in the general chat thread that it had some hail dents, are you going to try PDR or just have a shop do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Some newer Volvos only have one jack point in the center of the car. My C70 is like that. My V70 has 2 but they're so close together that I never use the rear one. They will both lift both wheels off the ground. I rotate tires that way.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

meatpimp posted:

On the Avalon -- kids today are weird. I've got one that turns 16 in a couple weeks, with this car that he can absolutely have, and he hasn't even looked up what it takes to get a permit. And I see that a lot, the kids just aren't interested in driving. It's weird.

Yeah if you've been following my antics I bought my daughter a car 2 months before her 15th birthday and while she wasn't saying no to getting her permit, she wouldn't lift a finger to take any steps towards it. I finally had to set the appointment for her and she got it 16 months after i got her the car.

At least now she loves driving and asks to do it every time we're in the car together.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

meatpimp posted:

I'm shopping Buick.

LOL ur old.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

LOL holy poo poo. Of all the bikes I was imagining I wasn't even close.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

meatpimp posted:

And, after all that poo poo got done, I put the new battery in and all of a sudden the blower motor is working. Looks like the AC is fine and it runs all of its blend doors back and forth.

Seems that's really a lot more common in 2000s era cars. Gone are the days where you run a battery till it stops cranking. If the voltage even dips a little on startup a ton of computers simply fail to initialize right. I bet if you cruise some model specific forums, "replace the battery" will be a common recommendation for HVAC failure. It's very common on Volvos of that era.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Just realized your thread title was changed for last year's halloween, and is now back around to being relevant. oooOOOOooo.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah, Volvo's been riveting speakers since the 80's. At least now they put in plastic adapters like that where you can fit an aftermarket speaker in there and it's the right size and bolt pattern. A while back they would have odd bolt patterns and odd sizes, and it was a mess of home-made adapters and covers to get anything aftermarket in there.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

If it's a car you don't care about maybe. You've owned a tuned C70. So as a counterpoint you can understand that I hate that the C70 is FWD. I have an LSD in mine and it simply lights up both tires instead of one if I push it. And because it's a convertible the chassis is a big noodle and the wheels hop like mad. I'd much rather have all that weight transfer on to the tires than off of them, the engine has so much potential and it's all wasted. In my dream world I make it AWD and 400 lb heavier, and make up for it with even more power.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Do they actually design these cars or just have a big pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey session where they cram poo poo into every orifice until the outline of the car on the whiteboard is full and then ship it?

At this point you could tell me there are ECUs in the doors and I'd believe you.

There are ECUs in the doors. More like DCUs though, they control the doors, not the engine. And I'm not kidding.

I had the PDM (passenger door module) go out in my 01 Volvo and the window, power lock, power mirror, mirror defrost, and ambient temperature gauge on the dash (the sensor for which is in the mirror housing) all died. It looks like a basic window switch, but it's not.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 18, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

It says something about the state of your yard when someone chooses to hide trash in it. Sigh. We have free metal recycling here in my city and someone was energetic enough to roll up and zip tie a small box spring and drop it in my yard, but not energetic enough to take the last 4 pieces of wood off it and recycle it. It's ok, I'll do it. But then I'm going to trim back the drat rhododendron that has overgrown the sidewalk where they threw it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

poo poo i thought i was reading the chat thread. Sorry about that.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

bolind posted:

How about some neodiddlium magnets?

That could actually be a good idea.

They sell poke and twist plastic things to tie the headliner back to the fiberboard as well, but it's a half measure at best. I plan at some point to pull one from a junkyard for my daughter's car, glue it up like new, and then do a swap. Rather than remove, repair, re-install.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

They all loving do it. They just treat the whole car like it's garbage. They aren't paid enough to give a poo poo about something that isn't theirs. See: Any thread of mine between 2006 and 2012.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Sounds like a "seal it up and park it safely" and see if it feels like there's more time next month. Maybe price out the fasteners because it'll be easier to decide to buy them if they're already sourced. Can you call the shop that took it apart and see if by some long shot they have the fasteners in a tub that didn't get thrown out? Once in a while you get lucky. Did you open everything while you were detailing to make sure they're not in the glove box or spare tire well?

Looks like a great project so I'm kinda hoping I get to watch you go through with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah what's your budget for DIY? Are you tracking hours to see if the quote was at all realistic?