Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nice find, hopefully it works out for you.

We really wanted a 3 series wagon but I didn't want to deal with a BMW out of warranty. For that price I woulda jumped on a 5 series all day long tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The PO probably got quotes to fix it already and just sold it off to you instead of paying the ridiculous costs of having a BMW fixed :v:

Good luck man, hopefully it won't rape your wallet too bad.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I took grandma's car (HHR) to a local shop that everyone said was good, to get diagnosed for a couple of issues. When I left it at the shop, I asked him to go ahead and change the oil, and to use synthetic. I should have asked how much because $75 later I have the most expensive loving oil change I have ever had in my entire car owning life (a long time).

The guy was no help with the diagnostic either, money in the toilet.

[e] or the time I forgot to put the drain plug back in an MR2 and four quarts of synthetic went right on the ground, then having to buy four more quarts after that.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 17, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bolind posted:

Yeah, my E87 (shorter wheelbase, I realize, but still) you can jack up one jacking point and the car will basically lift that side. I'm not proud but I have done a wheel change that way.

I put the jack under the B pillar and lift my cars NASCAR style to rotate the tires all the time, works like a charm :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What is this ceramic coating you speak of?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Care to elaborate on the process? Sounds like something I would do to both of my cars to make my life a little easier.

Been thinking about getting the waterless spray washer too, I forget the name of it. Could be the perfect system.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Wait, what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxRPQLh_zA

Seminal Flu posted:

Compound/polish, then wipe down with isopropyl alcohol, then apply in a small area at a time. ~5 min to dry, then buff off.

That all seems kinda redundant, whats the point of compound/polish if you're gonna wipe everything down with alcohol? Is that just if the paint is in crappy condition?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I know it's not protective, what i mean is how do you know if the paint needs to be "corrected" or not? If the paint looks fine to me, can't i just clay then wipe it down with alcohol?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah me too. The paint on my xB is fine, just a strip would work but our Lexus could probably use more than that and I suck with a buffer so I'd probably have somebody else do it....I wonder if anyone is putting on the ceramic coating as a service, that would be nice because I don't really fell like doing it myself. Meatpimp you gonna be in FL any time soon? :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

Why would that take time? Well, in its infinite wisdom, BMW made part 1 of changing the transfer case fluid "Drop the exhaust system." For the front differential, there's "Remove the subframe brace" which is a serious metal plate needing some impact work to remove. For the transfer case there's "Drop the driveshaft going from the transfer case to the front differential."

Jesus Christ, no wonder most people seem to avoid the awd models :v:

So what are your plans, are you going to keep it or flip it? Honestly if things turn out well with the BMW I'd rather have that and dump the Escalade if you don't absolutely need a third row.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Meatpimp this time next week

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I wonder why BMW made it so difficult

:thunk:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow man, you're almost out of the well good poo poo.

You should play the lottery now :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just change the valve cover gasket how hard can it be :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

That's my plan, I was just wondering if that could be the cause of the leaks showing under the car... this valve cover gasket has been neglected and leaking for a while... could that be dripping onto the ground after it's gunked up the undertray?

I've seen oil all over a car before with the only leak being the VC gasket so it's certainly possible, you just start where you know it's leaking, then it's process of elimination and deciding if the next leak is worth fixing or not lol.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Im getting ready to order some of the ceramic coating, the website you posted says Hot Sale 30ML 9H Car hardness super hydrophobic Glass Coating Car Liquid ceramic Coat Auto Paint Care Durability Anti-corrosion and then shows two different types of bottles but just one add to cart button. Are they both the same thing basically?

Also how much do you think I would need for my LS and xB?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Can you put it on in direct sunlight?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok, well......What can happen if you gently caress it up? And there's really no way to remove it? I find that kind of hard to imagine.....So it's like some sort of clear coat or something?

I bet some sand paper would get it off :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What's the intake made of? If it's not plastic you can probably use the oven cleaner method. Might work on the plastic ones too, idk.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I was gonna ask next if it had direct injection.....Short of taking off the heads not much you can do but hope that spraying some poo poo in there will clean it up. Never heard of the CRC stuff but at least someone has something to try and tackle the problem. Anyone tested it yet? You can always go with the AI approved poo poo if that doesn't work seafoam :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

Seafoam makes a aerosol version that can help, but I'd try the crc stuff first. CRC makes some seriously good poo poo.

Lol I was just joking about seafoam, I highly doubt it would help much with DI levels of poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

How do you blast the nuts in there though :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holy poo poo that's horrible, way worse than i pictured in my head. I can only imagine the decreased economy and performance of the cars that will never ever be treated, and knowing most consumers it's gonna be an issue. Gonna have to keep that in the back of my head before ever purchasing a car with DI, it will most definitely be an expense right along with timing belts and tires and whatnot.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mr-Spain posted:

Wonder if a copper or nylon shotgun cleaning brush on a single length of handle would work well there.

I think the problem with that would be if any pieces came off the brush it could cause problems, that's why the walnut shells work because they will just burn up if any are left over.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

The thing is that it's kinda fun. The car was over $60k not 10 years ago.

Heh, that's what I love about our Lexus. Was like 70k new, and still like new when we bought it for 9k thanks to massive luxury car depreciation (which probably has a lot to do with the German car reputation) but with Toyota reliability. The only thing i've done to the car since we've had it is replace the brakes and change the oil. And this is a commuter car that my wife is putting a poo poo ton of miles on, the thing is a work horse with hardly any attention paid to it, it's been a champ and I love that I don't have to gently caress with it. My xB has been just as reliable, having two cars that need minimum care is something I'm not used to but it's been pretty great. No more revolving my weekends on what needs to be done to a car :)

quote:

There's always hope. BMW.

Lol

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fo3 posted:

Yeah but old toyota/lexus just don't look as good.

I beg to differ, besides I'll take the trade off of no GDCS or any other of the myriad of issues of a similar year BMW.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus, all this poo poo that has to be known is just mind boggling. The average BMW owner that has no clue about cars just trades them in because this poo poo would absolutely drain your wallet at the dealership.

My wife has been looking at used (out of warranty) 3 and 5 series and I just LOL at her :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Is that electrical tape :v:

I need to do that to the Lexus, but effort. I haven't washed either of my cars in months, I just can't be bothered to care like I used to.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I use 303 just because of the Florida sun, I want all the UV protection I can get. It is kinda greasy tho.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

I forgot how completely power corrupts both your driving style and your concept of what is quick. I hope the wagon stays quick and doesn't kill me.

I've always drove slow cars that you can drive fast, and when I went from a 1.6 Miata to a 1.8 it was like woooooooohooooo! Really a small difference but felt huge lol.

Also my xB feels like a rocket ship compared to our HHR which is bizarre. The Chevy is just so loving anemic.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's an xB2 so it weighs just a few hundred pounds less than a Camry of the same year (2013). It also has the Camry 4cyl in it too so it hustles pretty good for a 4 banger with a slushbox. I was pleasantly surprised when I test drove it because i was expecting it to be a dog.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

Your LS400 must feel like a jet in comparison.

LS430. And honestly right off the line they are about the same believe it or not (the Lexus is a heavy tank), but of course the Lexus pulls away after that. Also from a rolling start or going to pass at highway speeds the Lexus just goes. The xB's quickness is all in the bottom end which is great for driving around town, the torque is what surprised me, it gets off the line really quick for a n/a 4cyl.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

My Avalon has a gear whine that gets loud right at about 35mph. It's a known thing with that Aisin transmission and it's annoying, but I don't care because that's just what they do.

This has me wondering, my xB exhibits transmission gear whine, I hope it's normal :ohdear:

Looks like mine has the Toyota U241E, there's nothing documented about it.....Could it be something else making the noise?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

Does it engage like a quarter inch off the firewall because that's what my wife's tC did and holy gently caress that sucked to drive. Just a twitch off the firewall it begins to engage and then a tiny amount later it's fully engaged and then the rest of the pedal travel does nothing.

I read a lot of reviews about xB clutches being horrible as well and it stopped me from getting a manual xB, although I was never able to drive one to actually see what the fuss was all about. Apparently the clutch has no "feel" and the shifter sucks, people were saying it wasn't very fun for a manual. Kind of a bummer because an xB with a good manual would be a fuckin blast.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

I test drove a first gen xB years ago and I didn't find the clutch to be too bad but yeah Toyota's economy car manuals are generally really bad.

First gens apparently weren't horrible, it's the 2nd gen when it went all wrong I guess. Pity that some manual cars are ruined by a lovely clutch and/or shifter, if every manual car had a Miata clutch and shifter we'd all be in heaven.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

So. I'm thinking about driving it as-is over the winter and, if it doesn't blow up, in the spring contract with a shop to drop the subframe and replace the parts. It'll be about 1000x easier on a lift, so I guess that's the cost of suburban living. :sigh:

You're not trying hard enough. Raise the roof on your garage and install a lift :colbert:

or get extra tall jack stands :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

German cars, man.

FTFY :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Now all of this is needlessly complicated, but it makes a good argument for most people to either take the car to the dealer for repair or get a new car upon failure. That works out rather nicely for BMW, right?

In other words, gently caress BMW, Merc, and Audi I will never own one. My Lexus has been an uncomplicated dream so there's no reason whatsoever to go German for a luxury car, the Japanese have perfected it. If I had the BMW/Merc equivalent to our LS it would be a giant unreliable money pit.

I get that you like the wagon, but at some point all the research and diagnosing/fixing has to wear on you, especially when you have a family and could be doing more worthwhile things with your time.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Grakkus posted:

To be fair to the Germans, their cars from the same early 90s time period as your LS are also reliable and easy to work on :)

We have an 03 LS430, there is no BMW or Merc of the same year even sniffing the reliability of it, not even close.

And honestly, if it wasn't for the reliability of Lexus we woudn't even own a luxury car. Our next one is going to be a 2013+ GS Hybrid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

I'm driving the Escalade because the BMW is clean in the garage. I like the Escalade. I'm not super familiar with the truck, but I need to replace a bushing or two somewhere up front... when I hit a bump that sends a somewhat lateral shock through the car, the steering column bangs around like it's the apocalypse. Any ideas?

If the steering system is anything like the '02 Crown Vic I had (ancient body on frame non rack and pinion type) then check any steering shaft linkage you might have. Grab the shaft and wiggle it around (heh) and if you feel anything like loose bearings it needs to be replaced. Had the same problem, over bumps the steering wheel/column wobbled like it was loose. Swapped out the two links and it was smooth as silk after.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 5, 2019