Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Saladman posted:

Most people are terrified of travel whatsoever; I’ve even had people worried about Paris because of terrerrisssizm and Europe in general because of refugees. Go wherever you want, there’s a lot of world off the beaten path. Basically all of the Arab world is safe and fine to travel around in but people will freak out about any of it (except for Morocco). Same thing for basically any country in Africa and most of Latin America (omg you went to Colombia??!11 were u not murder by the cocaine lolll).

Most off the beaten path I’ve done is a road trip through Cameroon and it was super fun. Unfortunately the nicest parts of Cameroon are in borderline civil war right now so it’s probably not a great destination atm.

If you speak Russian, Central Asia is off the beaten path but its just starting to get hip, especially Kyrgyzstan.

I get what you mean and I agree with you but it’s kind of hilarious to say “travel wherever- people are afraid that Africa is a war zone but it’s not! Try Cameroon! Except it’s actually a war zone”

You couldn’t have said any other country!?

In any case obviously the OP is gone but I find the kind of “I want to go where no one else has!” Some weird narcissistic mirror of the people who want to do the incredibly curated and guided trips. Like there isn’t anything wrong with it but let’s not kid yourself, your actual enjoyment of your holiday is not increased by knowing that your average westerner hasn’t been there, and it smacks of some old school / colonial thinking. Iran is a perfect example. Great insta pic for your friends and you can say “not much is known about this foreign and ancient land and so many people said we were crazy to go but the people were just beautiful”

Meanwhile there are like multiple tourists from other backgrounds and cultures in the same shot, and you go back hope and your doctor is Persian but you just thought he was Latino or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU