Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Felt kinda barebones. Not even a character trailer to build excitement? I will say a roguelike PvE mode similar to NASB 2 would be huge if done right. Image the perk system heavily modified as a roguelike item system with way more slots. Unlock skin recolors for beating it at certain difficulties, throw in co-op, and you have an easy success since every new character you release is more content for PVE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the constant gaslighting of calling the first failed launch a "beta" is annoying lol.

Macaluso posted:

Coney more or less shared the same feelings I have

Not showing even one new character and just stretching out the tease, when a lot of people paid founder's pack money for poo poo that got taken away for almost a year. Yeah they could have made this video a few more minutes, absolutely zero reason to hold back anything when it has been radio silent for so long.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

looks like their new twitter banner also shows the WB Water Tower, and some kind of balloon heads of Yakko and Brain?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Not exactly an exciting video but release date was what I was most interested in, so happy to see that.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They could have shadowdropped that video with no warning and gotten a better response.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sandwolf posted:

Wasn’t the issue that balance was hosed on all ends? Yeah I remember the dev being hyper reactive but wasn’t it also necessary for them to be reactive as, like, Taz was crazy at the beginning, then Velma was insane after they tweaked that, kinda thing.
taz literally wasn't ever very good, people just didn't put in any effort to learning to play against him.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I don't really understand doing a tease of an update where you go "it's coming in awhile."

Feels like they would have been better either staying quiet until they go "and it's back out today/tomorrow/next week" given it's not like they've been quiet for many months already, what's another one or two?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A long-off release date is also pretty bad for a WB property considering just being WB makes people hesitant to think it won't get shuffled off to the coal mines the moment the chance arises.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I don't really understand doing a tease of an update where you go "it's coming in awhile."

Feels like they would have been better either staying quiet until they go "and it's back out today/tomorrow/next week" given it's not like they've been quiet for many months already, what's another one or two?
They said the game was coming back “early 2024”, so they had to say something as it’s Q2 in a few weeks.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I've seen 8 million links to Gandalf, the Wicked Witch, and my most wanted Beetlejuice being leaked due to voice lines referencing them. Is there any actual lines or was this just some BS like "Unlock Gotenks by beating Baby 30 times in a row as GT Trunks?"

RIP Toriyama.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
This gets released on my birthday. Cool.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

They said the game was coming back “early 2024”, so they had to say something as it’s Q2 in a few weeks.

Saying something is fine, but like you said, making a huge hype up for a video that was "Uh yeah this is the release date" was definitely more harmful.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ImpAtom posted:

A long-off release date is also pretty bad for a WB property considering just being WB makes people hesitant to think it won't get shuffled off to the coal mines the moment the chance arises.

Saw someone recently post their fan concept move-list for Wile E. Coyote and/or Road Runner and it's like...yeah they would be cool characters wouldn't they.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Diabetic posted:

I've seen 8 million links to Gandalf, the Wicked Witch, and my most wanted Beetlejuice being leaked due to voice lines referencing them. Is there any actual lines or was this just some BS like "Unlock Gotenks by beating Baby 30 times in a row as GT Trunks?"

RIP Toriyama.

These were all things originally planned or scraped in the first release

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Diabetic posted:

RIP Toriyama.

iirc Gandalf an maybe Legolas were planned alongside a wholeass stage, and then the Tolkien estate changed hands midway, so it was kiboshed. Wicked Witch and Beetlejuice have actual datamined voicelines so I'm like 99% certain they'll be in the game at some point.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Diabetic posted:

RIP Toriyama.
lol remember when the nick all stars dev talked and bragged about how they could get goku
https://twitter.com/carthusdojo/status/1445078399110746112

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 11, 2024

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

How hard is it to change the engine from UE4 to 5? I feel like changing your engine would require a shitload more time, but maybe going between Unreal versions is somewhat faster.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

How hard is it to change the engine from UE4 to 5? I feel like changing your engine would require a shitload more time, but maybe going between Unreal versions is somewhat faster.

I dont think it's as dramatic as doing something like going from Unity to UE, because Satisfactory did an upgrade from UE4 to 5, it seemed to take up a decent chunk of effort, but was closer to one of their usual update cycles (a few months to half a year?) I suspect Unreal makes the transition as easy as they can, but from what Satisfactory devs talked about there will be certain things that can fail to translate perfectly through the upgrade.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Pants Donkey posted:

Even subtle changes in the engines break things, but I think 5 uses different things from 4 to keep up with new hardware, so old things won't work and the same things need to be readjusted. There's many reasons why games still run in 4 and not 5 beyond simpler explanations like licensing or when production started. Familiarity with engines will override all else. For example, Helldivers 2 still uses the ancient, discontinued Autodesk engine despite the game's recency just because that's what the devs are most experienced with. Otherwise you need to devote time and money towards training or hiring people who are familiar with the different engine. On top of that, 5 may have some issues which would put off some devs that would only be ironed out longer down the line, well past when their game would be finished, whereas 4 will have almost all major problems already fixed given its lifespan.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 12, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

lol remember when the nick all stars dev talked and bragged about how they could get goku
https://twitter.com/carthusdojo/status/1445078399110746112
people were really hyping this thing up and then it looked like it was a roblox mod made in two weeks. im sure it played fine but good lord

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It was a budget Nick title that happened to have a platform fighter dev team which is why it got hyped up so much

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

It was a budget Nick title that happened to have a platform fighter dev team which is why it got hyped up so much

Yeah, the devs made Slap City which is a lot of fun.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Can I get a lore explainer for why I’m seeing calls for hitbox/controller bans for Melee all over my Twitter For You feed? Are they more problematic in Smash than in other fighters?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

smash is a game with a lot more reliance on precise inputs (like moving the stick only a little, or in an extremely exact direction) so having a purely digital controller that you can just press a button do those things raises some questions. It's an imperfect comparison but imagine if hitboxes just let you press a single button to do a half-circle.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

of course smash players also do poo poo like cut notches into their gamecube controllers with a knife to help them hit those exact angles so iunno why hitboxes are a bridge too far in terms of controller mods.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Endorph posted:

of course smash players also do poo poo like cut notches into their gamecube controllers with a knife to help them hit those exact angles so iunno why hitboxes are a bridge too far in terms of controller mods.
them both being allowed is connected, apparently:
https://twitter.com/ZainNaghmi/status/1766598545300218031

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fadam posted:

Can I get a lore explainer for why I’m seeing calls for hitbox/controller bans for Melee all over my Twitter For You feed? Are they more problematic in Smash than in other fighters?

Smash and other platform fighters are digital controls rather than analog - in practice this means it's incredibly difficult to do certain things reliably with extreme precision. Using an analog controller avoids this since you can assign buttons (or combinations of buttons) to emulate very specific angles and inputs. The big one I hear about is Fox's up-b (Foxfire) which has extremely precise joystick angles to hit if you want the best possible recovery, but there's others.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

isn't hitbox the name of the smash guy somebody threw a crab at

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That's hungrybox.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thanks all, interesting stuff.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

ESAM has been using a hitbox with the walk button assigned to a very specific analog tilt angle in order to perform an exploit that lets him quick attack twice in the same direction, which is something you couldn't do twice in a row on purpose on an unmodified controller. Hitboxes are a good thing for people who need them for hand health reasons, there are ways to regulate them so they're not granting unique advantages to players who use them for non-health reasons.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
It is kind of weird to single out hitboxxes when people have been using notches forever which just trivialize wavedashing and stuff.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Kchama posted:

It is kind of weird to single out hitboxxes when people have been using notches forever which just trivialize wavedashing and stuff.

A notch that helps you aim your joystick and a button that makes the computer automatically do something as inhumanely accurate as possible are very different for very obvious reasons.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like "very different" doesn't mean a lot when it's still a meaningful advantage over someone using a standard/stock/unmodded controller.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bleck posted:

A notch that helps you aim your joystick and a button that makes the computer automatically do something as inhumanely accurate as possible are very different for very obvious reasons.
Regardless, being able to easily do firefoxes at very specific angles that are otherwise extremely hard to do reliably is not really a fair controller advantage.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I think they're both advantages, but I think comparing them only serves to obfuscate how acceptable either of them are - personally, I think the notches help with something that players can (and likely do) accomplish without it, and if they wanted to, have access to the tools necessary to reproduce it. It's arguably fine.

Meanwhile, a several hundred dollar controller that basically cheats for you is obviously not okay.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

just ban everything but the drat gamecube controller its the only good one

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

ban competitive smash imo

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

just ban everything but the drat gamecube controller its the only good one
one downside is there's a presumably limited supply of those, and from what I understand there's like sub-issues with certain GC controllers having slight differences that put them at a disadvantage?

but also as previously mentioned, hitboxes are good for some due to hand-health and accessibility issues.

Bleck posted:

I think they're both advantages, but I think comparing them only serves to obfuscate how acceptable either of them are - personally, I think the notches help with something that players can (and likely do) accomplish without it, and if they wanted to, have access to the tools necessary to reproduce it. It's arguably fine.

Meanwhile, a several hundred dollar controller that basically cheats for you is obviously not okay.

Personally I think it's pretty silly to suggest that "well everyone can add the notches to their controller if they want" - it just seems easier to say "your controller cannot be modified to give you any physical or mechanical advantage beyond what a official stock gamecube controller is capable of." Hit boxes allowed so long as functionality to go beyond a gamecube controller is not allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

tag yourself I'm the volunteer going around melee tourneys touching every controller to see if there's 'lil grooves