Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

one downside is there's a presumably limited supply of those, and from what I understand there's like sub-issues with certain GC controllers having slight differences that put them at a disadvantage?

they solved that last one as far as I'm aware. now basically any version of melee you'd play in a tournament is running ucf which changes the way inputs work slightly so that there's vastly fewer differences between controllers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

one downside is there's a presumably limited supply of those, and from what I understand there's like sub-issues with certain GC controllers having slight differences that put them at a disadvantage?

but also as previously mentioned, hitboxes are good for some due to hand-health and accessibility issues.

Personally I think it's pretty silly to suggest that "well everyone can add the notches to their controller if they want" - it just seems easier to say "your controller cannot be modified to give you any physical or mechanical advantage beyond what a official stock gamecube controller is capable of." Hit boxes allowed so long as functionality to go beyond a gamecube controller is not allowed.

This is how I feel about it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just have people use modern controllers or Wiimote + Nunchuck if you wanna be saucy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly to me it boils down to "If it's easier/more comfortable to do something that the original controller can do" then it's fine, and if it provides an actual advantage in that it is something impossible for the original controller to do then it's bad. There's something to be said about the ease of certain moves but there's always going to be a bit of that in fighting games where a mushy D-Pad and a well-tuned stick are going to be competing in the same arenas in theory.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly to me it boils down to "If it's easier/more comfortable to do something that the original controller can do" then it's fine, and if it provides an actual advantage in that it is something impossible for the original controller to do then it's bad. There's something to be said about the ease of certain moves but there's always going to be a bit of that in fighting games where a mushy D-Pad and a well-tuned stick are going to be competing in the same arenas in theory.

sure but the question is how literal "impossible" has to be. like if people who have been playing the game competitively for approaching 25 years still aren't doing something consistently on stock controllers but people who have been playing for a much shorter period of time do it extremely reliably on a different device, but it is still technically possible for a human to do it on stock, is that fine? how much easier does it have to be before it's a problem?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Everybody should just play on leverless if they are so good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

sure but the question is how literal "impossible" has to be. like if people who have been playing the game competitively for approaching 25 years still aren't doing something consistently on stock controllers but people who have been playing for a much shorter period of time do it extremely reliably on a different device, but it is still technically possible for a human to do it on stock, is that fine? how much easier does it have to be before it's a problem?

It's a tough question for sure, but honestly I think you kind of have to err on the side of the player unless you're going to be demanding no custom controllers because otherwise it's just going to lead to lots of nitpicking or complaints about why (x) was legal and (y) was not. (As you're seeing there where notches on the controller are brought up.) Like it genuinely sucks that more expensive modern controllers can be easier to use but short of requiring people use the same controller I'm not sure of a way past that. (And then it's unfair to people who need customized controllers for physical issues.)

I don't like how that feels P2W but I don't know how you get around P2W in that situation.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I've heard someone describe controller assistance like snapback reduction or gate notches as like, they turn tech with 85% consistency rates into something you can do 100% of the time, where the Double Up Zip tech exploits such a small and precise controller position that it turns something with a 0.085% consistency rate into something you can do 100% of the time. I think it's fair to say there are differences in degree of assistance, or in what you're smoothing out, and whether or not it partially or entirely falls outside the realm of acceptable assistance w/r/t the competitive integrity of your community is an important topic for the competitive scene to figure out for themselves. If it's cool to flash your controller firmware to automatically snap a range of analog directions into The Firefox Angle and people agree that should fly, well that's your game now.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1770510620384702500

and this is the final Spirit event for Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

my rear end it is

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
it's time to earn more gold than usual

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Multiversus made their comeback announcement a month ago, and there hasn’t been a scrap of news about new characters, game changes, or anything. Yet their social media keeps posting dumb engagement bullshit.

Postmortem for this one will be quick, at least.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pants Donkey posted:

Multiversus made their comeback announcement a month ago, and there hasn’t been a scrap of news about new characters, game changes, or anything. Yet their social media keeps posting dumb engagement bullshit.

What do you mean?? There's been... something? with McDonalds. I'm not sure what, it's not happy meal toys, but ya know something! And there's also...something? with HOCKEY!! Multiversus Marketing team is just knocking it out of the park!

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 8, 2024

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They’re knocking it off the park, alright…THE HERSHEY PARK! You can get free Multiversus swag with general admission tickets to Hershey Park until May 5th!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bleck posted:

ban competitive smash imo

Nintendo's trying their best

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Is multi versus the one with no VA

oh wait no that was the Nick game (wtf)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
As the saying goes, you gotta strike while the iron is entirely not hot at all.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

It DID eventually patch VA in

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

You know I was like "Oh yeah I heard that everyone was raving and hyper in love with Nick 2, so I wonder how it is doing on Steam Charts."

"2 people?? Oh, whew this is Nick 1. Let's go to Nick 2. 90 PEOPLE?!?!?"

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
hitboxes should be legal bc the ultimate form of fighters consists of insanely hype reads, callouts, mixups, etc and being able to hit a precise angle to recover or you just can’t is boring.

Thanks for reading

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Pants Donkey posted:

you're going to be so embarrassed when it comes out and it's fun enough that me and 5 other people enjoy it!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Skeletome posted:

you're going to be so embarrassed when it comes out and it's fun enough that me and 5 other people enjoy it!

I'm really interested in playing it again but the marketing just sucks so bad. No one cares about the hockey poo poo!!!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Skeletome posted:

I'm unironically more excited for it than almost any other release this year other than DD2

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

It was funny the people pointing out that they have like 50 social media accounts and none of them are posting anything worth a drat.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I say this as someone who didn't hate Multiversus and wants to see it (and fighting games in general) succeed:

...Between how awkward this, Mortal Kombat 1, and Kill the Injustice League have all been, it's kind of fascinating to observe how dedicated to failing at videogames Warner Bros currently is.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I mean they’re also torching completed movies for tax write-offs, so it’s on-brand

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Kchama posted:

You know I was like "Oh yeah I heard that everyone was raving and hyper in love with Nick 2, so I wonder how it is doing on Steam Charts."

"2 people?? Oh, whew this is Nick 1. Let's go to Nick 2. 90 PEOPLE?!?!?"

Nick Brawl 2 is probably the best smash clone mechanically and im upset at how immediate it's death was.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I really liked dunking on people with lebron and iron giant a lot but the game made me so unbelievably mad I punched a hole in my drywall as a 30 year old man. something about the team aspect and jank and Jake just brought the rage out. I raged at smash a lot and played it about 10x more but never broke anything

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Multiversus is one of those weird games where I feel like the best version of the product was the version we got at the start (specifically, the Alpha that led into the Open Beta and Season '0', which were a lot of fun) and everything we got past that suffered from a dev team that wasn't ready to handle a live service platform fighter. A lot of the later characters were heavily unpolished (best seen in the Gremlins duo and Black Adam, but even releases as early as Morty showed a staggering lack of polish in moveset, animation, and model compared to the launch roster and the few 'definitely ready' releases like Lebron) most of the balancing changes they made were wild and frequent swings that made everything inconsistent week to week. I know some of it is them being unable to use some amount of finished work due to to various issues, some of it is corporate demands, but I hope they took their time off, polished what they had, and learned some lessons...

... but considering the current state of Warner Brothers and the fact those ten months are being spent moving Multiversus to Unreal Engine 5 I gotta say I have doubts.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Yeah I dropped it partially because I cba to follow the weekly big shifts on a beta game

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They finally made a relevant post: https://multiversus.com/en/news/multiversus-developer-series-netcode

Summary: they made their own rollback to take 2v2 into mind. I thought the game had been on rollback, but the post sounds like it wasn’t?

Also, the first video of the updated game to show a match with players in varying locations and how it affects lag. And…it looks slower? People are saying the characters models are bigger, and coupled with the game always being fairly floaty that might explain why. Others say it’s because the camera is zooming in closer.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

game is slower than brawl Lol

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

game is slower than brawl Lol

I thought you were joking but it's like they're all moving in slow-motion. It makes it even floatier too.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
It's possible that the mechanics/numbers have been fudged for demonstration purposes, which isn't unusual - I remember Smash 4 did a promo match between Mario and Mega Man, where Mario's softspot dash attack was a kill move and Mega Man's dsmash did 43% uncharged. There was no way those kinds of numbers were intended for gold release and the game had been altered for the purpose of the demo. But those were to make the game faster, not slower, so...

I'd guess it's to make the gameplay easier to parse? There are four characters, on a smaller stage, the characters have larger models... the slower gameplay might make it easier to understand what's happening? That's my best guess.

e: whoops, just looked at the site and it's demonstrating 1v1s, lol. I had this post in mind:

https://twitter.com/multiversus/status/1778493365597638822

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 12, 2024

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

No idea why it looks so horribly slow and floaty but if it actually runs like that they are dead on arrival lol

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

People were posting in here about their footage before the “open beta” looking weird and slowed down and the actual game was much faster

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Abroham Lincoln posted:

People were posting in here about their footage before the “open beta” looking weird and slowed down and the actual game was much faster

This is true, it's one of the many bad marketing choices Multiversus makes is that they slow down the footage for some reason. I don't know if that's what's happening in this one, but the way bigger models don't help

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
It's not slowed down footage. If you look at it, the timer is ticking down at normal speed.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

It definitely looks slower than what I remember of the actual game ):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

No idea why it looks so horribly slow and floaty but if it actually runs like that they are dead on arrival lol
It would explain why they were in no rush to share actual gameplay