Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Glad they won today and gave Diaz the day off. The Haniger home run was also cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

There is an excellent recent article about Mariners’ radio announcer Rick Rizzs, who got the job by eating nearly three dozen cookies:

quote:

Rizzs was one of two finalists for the Mariners job. The night before his interview with team owner George Argyros in Southern California, Rizzs was in a cookie-eating contest with local celebrities at a Columbus mall to kick off Girl Scout cookie sales.

“It was the dumbest thing I have ever done in my life,” Rizzs said. “I go to this contest and eat 33 cookies in three minutes — and I didn’t even win. I finished in third place.”

The next morning, Rizzs had severe chest pains.

“I thought I was having a heart attack,” he said. “My chest hurt so badly, and I couldn’t breathe.”

Rizzs rushed to a hospital. Doctors did not think he had a heart attack, but he would have to delay his trip a day so he could undergo tests.

The next day, after learning he had suffered a stretched sternum, Rizzs was in Argyros’ office.

“After about an hour talking with him, he says sternly, ‘Now why did you miss the appointment yesterday?’ I told him, and we laughed about it,” Rizzs said. “After a few minutes, he reached over the table and shook my hand and said, ‘Welcome aboard. Anybody willing to sacrifice their life for the Girl Scouts is my kind of guy,’ and I got the job.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/mariners-announcer-rick-rizzs-is-living-his-dream-and-it-shows/

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Mariners get the sweep! And go to 7-0 in extra innings.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Aren't we up to 8 wins in extras? There were two in the series.

Whoops yeah you’re right, cool! Glad to see Nicasio did fine yesterday and today.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/LookoutLanding/status/1012919369058344960/photo/1

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

HEY NONG MAN posted:

gently caress the WC. We comin for that first place brass ring god dangit.

This guy gets it.

We’re in a suite at the game for a birthday. Neat change from usual 300 level.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

logger posted:

Anyone else get extremely nervous when they see Colome on the mound?

Yes. He got the outs without giving up a run, so ok today.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Healy! 4/4 tonight.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Paxton with an 8 inning shutout, Diaz strikes out the side in the 9th, 7 wins in a row!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

sigmachiev posted:

Starting to get more and more hype and planning a trip back home next month, def gonna catch a game. I miss Safeco. Are the crickets a good snack?

They’re fun to try, I think it’s $4 for a cup?

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Also regarding Zunino, doesn’t he make up for his inconsistent hitting by being way efficient at picking off base runners?

He’s capable of throwing runners out, and has 12 home runs, but really needs to get his average above .200, or at least stop hitting in double plays with runners in scoring position. Andrew Romine figured it out and boosted his average up, so should Zunino.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

In the first Healy struck out, ball got away from the catcher, he made it to first and Cruz scored from 3rd.

Good times. Plus a solid 7 innings from LeBlanc, earning his new contract.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

David Freitas gets his first big league homer over a leaping Mike Trout.

Not thrilled three Mariners got hit this game, although none seemed serious. Also Marco Gonzales owns.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Paxton did just fine today, going 7 innings without giving up a run.

Álex Colomé has really settled down and hasn’t given up a run in July.

Boom! And Edwin Diaz with his 40th save! Go Ms!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Four game sweep of Houston! Díaz saves every game, Ramírez did fine in his start with five scoreless, and Healy got a clutch homer to tie it in the ninth. Neat!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

HEY NONG MAN posted:

He’ll be fine.

Yeah. Hopefully just a bruise. Felix is looking ok in relief.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Mariners win on a 12th inning Dee Gordon home run! And Mike Leake had a strong outing.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Mike Leake had an incredibly strong 8 inning ND.

Yeah! Runners on 1st and 3rd, no outs? He just strikes out the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Mariners win on walk off balk. I’ll take it!

• Locked thread