Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

jrodefeld posted:

I don't dispute the existence of climate change or the contribution that human activity has made to it. I intend to get into a discussion about my full views on this subject, but I know that is a contentious subject and I want to have the time to fully explain my views.

The only thing I meant by the mention of climate change is that the debate that takes place between average people on the subject relies almost exclusively on appeals to authority. This is not necessarily a bad thing. I am no expert on climate science and I don't pretend to be. But I would wager that not 1 in 10 people who hold strong opinions on climate change have any requisite knowledge of climate science and nearly every one of their views are parroted from political talking points they heard from the media. This makes discussion difficult. I would even say that far more people know a little economics that know anything about climate science.

Climate science is an incredibly complex field of study with an unimaginable number of variables to account for in attempting to predict future warming trends and assess the role of human behavior in altering complex ecosystems. The debate amonst scientists on the subject has less to do with the black and white dichotomy of "you believe in climate change or you don't" and instead involves countless differing opinions on what can or should be done, what the effects of rising CO2 will be, and what if anything nation States should do to abate this trend.

My frustration comes from hearing people who don't have the slightest qualifications to comprehend the complex computer and mathematical models that climate scientists rely on, simply cite a statistic such as "97% of scientists agree" so that is all that needs to be said. What this implies is not that there is overwhelming consensus of human cause climate change, but the implicit suggestion is that there is further agreement on a political solution and that we must let politicians and State bureaucrats regulate our economy and control human behavior.

They deflect the argument away from the efficacy of proposed legislation and/or reasonable skepticism at opportunistic political maneuvering and special interest pandering onto the work of laboratory scientists, which nearly no one is quality or able to comprehend.

One side note is that the 97% statistic that is regularly bandied about actually includes most scientists that one would classify as "skeptics" who, while acknowledging the fact of rising CO2 levels, either reject the political solutions being proposed, argue that nothing can or should be done, or that solutions lie outside of centralized States.

I am an environmentalist and that is precisely why I feel that States cannot be trusted in any capacity to protect the environment or draft good legislation. The correct solution, as I have said before, is to protect private property rights and force the polluters to pay for the cost of their own pollution since emissions and polluting activity violate the property rights of others. This would raise the cost of high emissions and incentivize businesses to adopt greener, less polluting manufacturing methods.

We should not continue to tolerate the "tragedy of the commons" where State owned or controlled property is ravaged and destroyed because there are no private interests who have an interest in maintaining the value and productivity of the land.

There are many libertarian solutions to these environmental problems. Buy why are these beliefs not considered? Could it be because the political agenda of some interest groups is to expand State power and they have found a convenient way to sell that notion to the public?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
an ancap libertarian paradise where some unknown entity is supposed to hand out fines for pollution to all the strapping individualist capitalists

hm yes this is good that'll work

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I'll enforce the contracts OP

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
an ancap system without regulation and control from representative state power will inevitably lead to a gigantic underclass of increasingly oppressed proletariat and the accumulation of all capital into the hands of a small few thus creating the idea grounds for Full Communism Now

what I'm saying is donate to your local ancap association

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

TVC posted:

You cant infringe on the rights of other human beings as an Ancap. No slavery.

If human rights are property rights, then NOT allowing people to sell themselves into slavery is in fact a violation of their right do with their property (themselves) as they wish.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

shiksa posted:

an ancap libertarian paradise where some unknown entity is supposed to hand out fines for pollution to all the strapping individualist capitalists

hm yes this is good that'll work

*A pickup covered in spikes, armor, and skulls with "VALHALLA DRO" spraypainted across the hood drives up*

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

"Do you know that my personal crusade in life (in the philosophical sense) is not merely to fight collectivism, nor to fight altruism? These are only consequences, effects, not causes. I am out after the real cause, the real root of evil on earth — the graphic designer." ~Ayn Rand, probably.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I still can't believe he came back :allears:

Jrod, if you're reading this, please never stop coming back, we love you

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

WampaLord posted:

Don't worry, he can't stay away forever. As a missionary, such a resistant pool of the unconverted that we are cries out to him.

My only regret is no one notified Dickeye in time to challenge him to a fistfight again.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Dickeye was probed the whole time :smith:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Goon Danton posted:

Dickeye was probed the whole time :smith:

Knew it had to be something like that.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

WampaLord posted:

I thought he got perma'd?

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

garbage pundit posted:

Libertarianism is "gently caress You, Got Mine", Fascism is "gently caress Ya'll, Got Ours". Fascists are Libertarians who went to a teambuilding seminar.

They're still bad at teambuilding.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

UrbicaMortis posted:

I thought he got perma'd?

He re-registered as "RealTalk" and tried to spread the Good Word of Jordan Peterson

RealTalk posted:

I have a really simply question that I don't expect to provoke too long of a discussion.

My question is simply: what do you think of Jordan Peterson?

I'm far from a die-hard fanboy, but I like him. I've read his book and gained something useful from it. I think he's helping a lot of people and his lectures are thought-provoking.

The vitriol with which some on the Left have attacked him and mischaracterized his views is astonishing to me.

I don't pretend that he's above criticism but I've seen a torrent of hit-pieces and character assassination attempts that are shocking in their shamelessness and unethical in their tactics.

I'm someone who worries about artificial constraints limiting the scope of allowable opinion. Outlier opinions on both the left and the right deserve to be discussed honestly within the mainstream and efforts to destroy people who stray outside narrowly defined confines of respectable thought should concern us.

What's most striking to me is that I don't consider Peterson to be a radical figure in any way. His politics strike me as being quite moderate.

At the very least a person on the moderate Left ought to see someone like Peterson as a useful corrective to a culture of political correctness that has gone too far.

What are your thoughts?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

WampaLord posted:

He re-registered as "RealTalk" and tried to spread the Good Word of Jordan Peterson

lol

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

He reregistered as Real Talk and went right back to the loving libertarian thread because that's all he knows.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Goon Danton posted:

He reregistered as Real Talk and went right back to the loving libertarian thread because that's all he knows.

I do love that part in particular. He could have hidden for quite a while if he started posting in various other places but he had to rush home to preach to the unconverted.

Also the "No, I'm not Jrod, I voted for Jill Stein!"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh oh I can do this too

YELLOW: being forced into slavery for the waste disposal company
BLACK: convincing yourself that you consented to this

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

are there any ayncaps who arent stupid?

seriously ive watched their sad little rise on reddit and every single one is a moron

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Wheeee posted:

are there any ayncaps who arent stupid?

seriously ive watched their sad little rise on reddit and every single one is a moron

Yeah no they're all`dumb as hell.

Goon Danton posted:

I wasn't 100% convinced it was him until he busted out noted 19th century crazyman Lysander Spooner as his preferred model for abolitionism over, you know, what actually loving happened.

It was nice of R. Guyovich to let us mess with him for a while before banning him again.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah no they're all`dumb as hell.

I wasn't 100% convinced it was him until he busted out noted 19th century crazyman Lysander Spooner as his preferred model for abolitionism over, you know, what actually loving happened.

It was nice of R. Guyovich to let us mess with him for a while before banning him again.

For some unknowable reason, all of the scholars Jrod most admires just cannot stop posting breathless defenses of the CSA.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

For some unknowable reason, all of the scholars Jrod most admires just cannot stop posting breathless defenses of the CSA.

Without disputing your core argument in the slightest, in Spooner's case it's less that he was a Confederate apologist and more that he was a total loving crackpot.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
https://mobile.twitter.com/D0GGEAUX/status/1008437849845198848
https://mobile.twitter.com/D0GGEAUX/status/1008439017392693248
https://mobile.twitter.com/D0GGEAUX/status/1008440590969655296

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Well. I'm convinced.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

0 to Meltdown in 10 minutes

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Anarchists hate crimes.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Anarchists hate crimes.

what are you talking about

be gay do crimes

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

When I saw the humanitarian killing fields...

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
oh no, not "criminal acts" you've convinced me low effort polandball mspaint character

precisely what lvl of autismns is needed for someone to not get that law != morality

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

if you're drawing yourself as a sparkly floating orb its time to reevaluate your entire life because your poo poo is way hosed up

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Huragok posted:

what are you talking about

be gay do crimes

Look at the comic, dumbass. Only a true anarchist would know that it's wrong to break the law.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I guess the comic is really implying that all leftists think laws are categorically good, which is more stupid than I was willing to entertain.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Ancaps: All forms of government is tyranny

Also Ancaps: You must obey the will of the police state

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!
So if I go to work on an ANCAPS farm after the state has been overthrown and governments banned, and I decide to clock out for the day after my contractually agreed upon work hours are completed, and I decide to go to the main house, climb the stars and bury a pickaxe in the heads of the boss and his family. Does that mean the farm and all of it's assets are now mine?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

So if I go to work on an ANCAPS farm after the state has been overthrown and governments banned, and I decide to clock out for the day after my contractually agreed upon work hours are completed, and I decide to go to the main house, climb the stars and bury a pickaxe in the heads of the boss and his family. Does that mean the farm and all of it's assets are now mine?

*checks your contractual standing with local Valhalla DRO affiliate*
Looks legit to me.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

*checks your contractual standing with local Valhalla DRO affiliate*
Looks legit to me.

in the instance of servant violation of the NAP ending in termination of the master, ownership of the property contractually falls into possession of Valhalla DRO per contract with the deceased property owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

in the instance of servant violation of the NAP ending in termination of the master, ownership of the property contractually falls into possession of Valhalla DRO per contract with the deceased property owner.

Okay, I'm really, really dumb on this subject.

I get that NAP means I'm not allowed to punch master because of reasons...

But what does "Valhalla DRO" represent?

• Locked thread