Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Metal Cat posted:

Oh man, I just remembered the time Gary Johnson got booed for defending driver licenses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZITP93pqtdQ

Double whammy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Nad1b_3yY

For those who haven't seen the clip, he also got booed for advocating seat belt laws, and not selling heroin to children. Between that, the scarecrow guy spazing out, and that fat dude stripping on stage, the 2016 Libertarian Party primary was fairly memorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Goon Danton posted:

There's even room for advancement! I started as a bonded serf*, but I worked hard and stuck to it, and now I'm Executive Vice Theyn for Marketing!

*for two days to "learn the ropes" before I got promoted because I married the Jarl's niece

Unfortunately now the McJarl™ is trying to raise taxes on the nobility, a violation of the feudal contract, so the McNobles™ are raising their recreational McChild Levies™ to throw him into a recreational McBrazen Bull™ for this egregious sin against the NAP. Seems your Executive Vice Ţegn™ position won't last long :'(

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

StashAugustine posted:

anarchists of all stripes end up accidentally reinventing government. i do think the left ones are a little more honest about it tho

There's a difference between government and even some form of social behavior regulating mechanism, and a hierarchical system. In theory you can have a non-hierarchical system of management, there are even real world examples. Left Anarchists of all sects I've talked to, outside like, the really weird nihilist and post-Left and whatever extremely online types, seem to understand this, which is probably why they're a bit more honest about it.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Aschlafly posted:

Unfortunately now the McJarl™ is trying to raise taxes on the nobility, a violation of the feudal contract, so the McNobles™ are raising their recreational McChild Levies™ to throw him into a recreational McBrazen Bull™ for this egregious sin against the NAP. Seems your Executive Vice Ţegn™ position won't last long :'(
Render unto Little Caesars® the things which are Little Caesars®'s.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
really says something that gary johnson is the only sane person at the libertarian convention

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Darkman Fanpage posted:

really says something that gary johnson is the only sane person at the libertarian convention
*relatively

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

KiteAuraan posted:

There's a difference between government and even some form of social behavior regulating mechanism, and a hierarchical system. In theory you can have a non-hierarchical system of management, there are even real world examples. Left Anarchists of all sects I've talked to, outside like, the really weird nihilist and post-Left and whatever extremely online types, seem to understand this, which is probably why they're a bit more honest about it.

The only non-hierarchal system of management I've ever seen is Reddit downvotes

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The only non-hierarchal system of management I've ever seen is Reddit downvotes

That's because you don't live in a small scale irrigation farming network or some far flung consensus based village. They exist, they just used to be more common. I feel increasing tech could maybe make it upscale, but I also don't think Western individualists, or really anyone who's world view is based around states and/or dominance can make it work. That's (one of the reasons) why Occupy was kind of a shitshow. People in those talk circles really just wanted to dominate the conversation and flow of things.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

There's one guy I knew in high school that became a big ancap in recent years. I'm still Facebook friends with him just to read his posts for the lols. I think the oddest thing was that he was and still is like a typical Oregon hippie stoner type, and yet now posts about how everyone in politics is evil and statist and how everyone has a right to guns and free enterprise is good while also posting about enlightenment through taking psychedelics and other hippie poo poo. His version of it seems a little different from the mainstream ancap stuff like corporate slavery and the like, but that sort of disassociation is what makes him seem even more loony.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It sounds like your wastoid friend just latches onto whatever sounds cool to him at the time, and doesn't have a real ideology.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It sounds like your wastoid friend just latches onto whatever sounds cool to him at the time, and doesn't have a real ideology.

I realized there was more to it than that after Joementum's post on the self-centeredness of hippies and that article (I can't find) from a year or two ago about exactly how hippies later became convinced of neoliberalism

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I dunno, he's in pretty deep. He fights friends and family over it and accuses them of being ignorant, brainwashed, etc. He's also way more into the paranoid conspiracy aspect of it and how everything the government does is a tool to brainwash people and how Obama is as bad as every mass murderer in history because he wants to take away guns. It's honestly more depressing than anything, but I feel like I should have at least one super crazy friend on Facebook to make me feel more sane.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jabberlock posted:

I dunno, he's in pretty deep. He fights friends and family over it and accuses them of being ignorant, brainwashed, etc. He's also way more into the paranoid conspiracy aspect of it and how everything the government does is a tool to brainwash people and how Obama is as bad as every mass murderer in history because he wants to take away guns. It's honestly more depressing than anything, but I feel like I should have at least one super crazy friend on Facebook to make me feel more sane.

I know that feel

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jabberlock posted:

People tend to be passionate about what they believe and will defend it desperately, but that still doesn't mean what your friend believes in isn't skin-deep trash that he barely understands.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Most of his posts are what you'd expect, but this one is probably my favorite because he's DEFINITELY not posting it because of woman trouble and its all the STATE'S fault. Should be noted that he start dating a girl a few months after this post that shares his beliefs and then got engaged 6 months after that. Sounds like a perfectly healthy normal thing to do.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Sovereign Citizen Man

I do not consent to Joinder with this Female, therefore I don't have to pay alimony

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

This one went over particularly well.

"gently caress friends and well-meaning people, I'll say what I want because I think it's true!"

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
hippies sucked and still suck

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Hippies were just Bougies who wanted to party for a few weeks for the most part. They had no theory or firm beliefs.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

frankenfreak posted:

Render unto Little Caesars® the things which are Little Caesars®'s.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Jabberlock posted:

There's one guy I knew in high school that became a big ancap in recent years. I'm still Facebook friends with him just to read his posts for the lols. I think the oddest thing was that he was and still is like a typical Oregon hippie stoner type, and yet now posts about how everyone in politics is evil and statist and how everyone has a right to guns and free enterprise is good while also posting about enlightenment through taking psychedelics and other hippie poo poo. His version of it seems a little different from the mainstream ancap stuff like corporate slavery and the like, but that sort of disassociation is what makes him seem even more loony.

corporate slavery and the like isn't strictly speaking "mainstream." It's not something ancaps themselves generally bring up. It's just an obvious endpoint of the "solutions" they've come up with to the problems of ancapistan.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

KiteAuraan posted:

Hippies were just Bougies who wanted to party for a few weeks for the most part. They had no theory or firm beliefs.

There's a terrific Atlantic article that explains why they hosed everything up for us when Nixon got ousted. There was a Fed chairman or something who was super anti-bank and was breaking them up but they ousted that guy too since he was "one of Nixon's men" not realizing he was doing actually good work and replaced him with a loving neolib banker.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

WampaLord posted:

There's a terrific Atlantic article that explains why they hosed everything up for us when Nixon got ousted. There was a Fed chairman or something who was super anti-bank and was breaking them up but they ousted that guy too since he was "one of Nixon's men" not realizing he was doing actually good work and replaced him with a loving neolib banker.

this?

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/10/how-democrats-killed-their-populist-soul/504710/

What’s more, the new members were antiwar, not necessarily anti-bank. “Our generation did not know the Depression,” then-Representative Paul Tsongas said. “The populism of the 1930s doesn’t really apply to the 1970s,” argued Pete Stark, a California member who launched his political career by affixing a giant peace sign onto the roof of the bank he owned.

the bolded bit is very democrats.txt

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bingo, that's the one!

quote:

for decades, Patman had sought to hold financial power in check, investigating corporate monopolies, high interest rates, the Federal Reserve, and big banks. And the banking allies on the committee had had enough of Patman’s hostility to Wall Street.

Over the years, Patman had upset these members by blocking bank mergers and going after financial power. As famed muckraking columnist Drew Pearson put it: Patman “committed one cardinal sin as chairman. ... He wants to investigate the big bankers.”

This is the dude they threw out along with Nixon. Great jeaaorrb!

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I'm interested in this gyno-state

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

This image causes physical pain

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dreddout posted:

This image causes physical pain

"As we loom over the collectivist hovel, I fold a piece of fine white bone ash reed paper into an origami hand. Intoning the ancient rites I bind a portion of the spirit of the free market into it, and it turns invisible. Just in time as I am jumped by a collectivist soyberet, the hand springs into action, severing his jugular, spraying with blood red as their soul"

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

its pretty funny that the ancap colors are the exact color of wasps

actually its kind of too on the nose

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Former DILF posted:

:aaaaa:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Jabberlock posted:

Most of his posts are what you'd expect, but this one is probably my favorite because he's DEFINITELY not posting it because of woman trouble and its all the STATE'S fault. Should be noted that he start dating a girl a few months after this post that shares his beliefs and then got engaged 6 months after that. Sounds like a perfectly healthy normal thing to do.

mods plz rename me gynocentric STATIST worldview

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Former DILF posted:

actually its kind of too on the nose

Also piss

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

:ancap:

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

poo poo and piss

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Captain_Maclaine posted:

For those who haven't seen the clip, he also got booed for advocating seat belt laws, and not selling heroin to children. Between that, the scarecrow guy spazing out, and that fat dude stripping on stage, the 2016 Libertarian Party primary was fairly memorable.

McAfee was robbed

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

https://mobile.twitter.com/SheikhStalin/status/1010710217934426113

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ESO and Mr. Dapperton stepped on their own dicks recently by trying to claim leftist youtubers were members of a doxxing server, and ended up distributing obviously photoshopped screenshots as proof.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/muckrock/status/1013138877912158210?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

And not bathing.

• Locked thread