Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
For a better variation on this theme I'd recommend UK TV show Humans - it's a very slow start, but I felt that by including differing opinions from the start (rather than everyone being an rear end in a top hat) it was more realistic - for example while the main family pretty much accept Mia (the main Synth, which is the shows word for it) as a member of the family, although not as autonomous and occasionally with behavioural lapses, the father sees her as just a thing. They all have varying relationships, the wife feels maybe a little outdated but is happy for the help in the long run, and actually thinks to instruct Mia on what not to do, things that she prefers to do herself. The children quickly learn that Mia is developing/revealing a genuine personality, but keep it between them and try to help her connect with who she really is. The father is the only one who thinks of Mia explicitly as property.

Also when he does slip up and turn off the parental controls so he can try having sex with Mia, his family recognise that it was his fault, not the synths, and he gets kicked out for being creepy and basically abusing their nanny.

There are also interesting sidestories, like the one guy who has his synth on the NHS due to health problems, but the synth is starting to go bad. As in, physical illness, coughing up coolant and forgetting basic things. However the guy loves him as a son and does everything in his power to keep him hidden whenever the government sends an invigilator to assess him, making excuses and things. The show also has a good reason for why they look so human in the first place. They weren't built to be discriminated against.

This game has only just started so it may go in similarly interesting directions later, but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Based on another LP I've been watching, the game gets surprisingly...good?...while still being heavily-flawed in the typical Cage fashion. There are some intense moments I've seen that make me actually want to play the game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I've heard this is Cage's most competent and cohesive game story yet. Not seen it myself, that's just what I've heard.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I've been watching it from multiple other sources. It's a beautiful game, all told.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The initial reviews I read said that it's really great, but hampered by some instances of wooden acting and bizarre dialogue that Cage is known for.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah i've watched a handful of playthroughs at this point and the game falls into the same category of mass effect 3 in that there are clearly some of the most talented people on the planet working the project, but the project has so many obvious leadership problems that there's no way those people are going to be able to do their best work.

there's a lot of rough edges to note on that - the scene writing can be amazing, but the overall message is muddled and weird. the individual motions on actors and scenes are beautifully animated, but they're composited in such a way that it doesn't make a lot of sense or seems janky. this game has a lot of good things to talk about, but leadership is such a constant and obvious struggle it's a little heartbreaking to see so much talent misfire.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 15, 2018

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I've only seen LPs of Beyond: Two Souls and Omikron: The Nomad Soul (they really like having colons in their titles, huh?) so I don't know what to expect.

And while I don't have any questions for Valorie, my friend Eric does.

Eric posted:

Here's my question for Valorie: Dot Everest was a character that was changed dramatically from her previous incarnations. In past Tick adaptations she was always portrayed as a meek, winey, nagging woman who was only there to spoil Arthur and Tick's fun, but in the current series this was changed dramatically to a more bad rear end and capable persona.
I would like to know what are Ms. Valorie's thoughts on how Female Heroes (Supergirl, Jessica Jones, Wasp) are being Portrayed in the media these days, and if there is anything she wishes she could have done as Dot in Tick Season 1?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

oh my god i cannot wait to start asking questions

Edit: Why did they choose to put the game in DETROIT?

Billzasilver fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 18, 2018

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

probably because of its history as a manufacturing city. they also visited the city and liked it a lot but I don't know if that was before or after they decided on the location

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Billzasilver posted:

Detroit being rehabilitated is a pretty common trope in sci-fi. Fictional billionaires have an obsession with saving the city.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This game is in desperate need of a visit to the future Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
maybe they're Red Wings fans

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I am in for this whole ride.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

White Coke posted:

Detroit being rehabilitated is a pretty common trope in sci-fi. Fictional billionaires have an obsession with saving the city.

Real ones too. See: Dan GIlbert, Mike Ilitch (RIP)

Billzasilver posted:

Aside from the previously mentioned connection to the city's past as an industrial icon, Detroit has a long history of civil rights struggles. In particular, the 1967 Riot was one of the bloodiest and most destructive in US history (Eclipsed only by the '92 LA Riots), and given how unsubtle the rest of the game is it's not surprising that Cage might have wanted to tap into that.

Edit: Also Detroit is a cool town with a lot of neat things to see and do.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 19, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Also as I'm watching the video I'm struck by two things:

-It is really cool to see how they rendered the city, and it's fun to look at the skyline and the various landmarks they replicated in the game.

-The least realistic thing by far is depicting Detroit as having any kind of effective public transportation system.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
hey you take that back! we have the elevated people mover.. that umm.. shuttles people to the convention center?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

For those of you not familiar with the Detroit area, we do in fact call our elevated tram system (for lack of a better way of describing it) "The People Mover."

Billzasilver posted:

Aside from the aforementioned billionares trying to "save" the city I guarantee you it's because of the aesthetic of Detroit. It's a weird mix of very modern buildings like the GM headquarters and our convention centers mixed in with plenty of derelict factories and tenements in fairly close proximity to each other (at least in comparison to other cities like New York or Chicago). While it's definitely true that the city's gotten much safer and cleaner in recent years the fact of the matter is that you can have a derelict row a few blocks over from a modern office complex and no one would really bat an eye.

To put it simply there's this strange mingling of urban decay (largely at the city's outskirts) and urban renewal (at its center) and a very real visual sense of the new replacing the old that gives it the perfect look for a cyberpunk story.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 20, 2018

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Billzasilver posted:

because Walla Walla: Become Human just doesn't have the same ring to it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Billzasilver posted:

it was originally set in Hell, Michigan, but they ran into legal troubles with Hell: A Cyberpunk Adventure

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Acebuckeye13 posted:

-The least realistic thing by far is depicting Detroit as having any kind of effective public transportation system.

Came to post this. The most realistic thing by far definitely is there being road construction and I hope it is a recurring theme throughout the whole game.

I definitely know or heard nothing about this game after I heard Beyond was bad and had no interest in learning more about it. It being in Detroit is cool, but like with Deus Ex, I'm curious if it is for the reasons posted above in that it's either A) a cool looking city, which it is, or B) a manufacturing city and whether or not it actually being in Detroit will be pivotal to the story. I imagine it won't. Still, it is really neat to see landmarks and skyscrapers I can see if I drive a few miles down the freeways.

That being said, having one of the actors in the game as a guest is really cool and hearing about the story behind Kara and the audition process was interesting as well. People are saying the game is his best yet, but from having watched Fahrenheit and having played Heavy Rain, it isn't the highest of bars to top. Nonetheless I'm interested.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I absolutely cannot see anywhere ever buying nice shiny new buses with purpose-built Rosa Parks comparisons droid compartments. I could, however, see some buses having lovely blackout partitions put at the back of the bus just past the second set of doors. And plenty of letters to the editor on how that's way too much space.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 2 with Valorie Curry returning is now up. She has tentatively agreed to return for each Kara-focused chapter, pending her availability around shooting The Tick. We also ended up live-streaming the recording session on Twitch so that she could see the gameplay, which of course meant that low-latency mode wasn't working for that stream. Still, she ended up spending a lot more time answering questions from people in chat and our back-and-forth is a lot more casual.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Billzasilver posted:

detroit is basically cyberpunk incarnate, in an "all this has happened before and all this will happen again" kind of sense

behold, the City of the Future, where every hour another hundred wondergizmos that would have been unthinkable in your grandparents' time roll off the assembly lines. where the workers are treated like interchangeable machine parts and machines are treated like gods. where a couple of people at the top of the pyramid are making money and power hand over fist, and promise if you work very, very hard, they might share some of the amazing, world-changing technology you make with you. isn't Detroit, 1947, an amazing place to be?

and then the novelty wears off, and it's a little cheaper to make poo poo elsewhere, and someone else comes out with a better widget, and the guys at the top aren't making as much, and they get a little stingier, and the workers get restive, and the excuses for why they can't be paid get stupider in direct proportion to the owners' inability to back down on them, and in fits and starts you watch as the City of the Future eats itself.

sure is a good thing that this NEW miracle widget economy won't have that problem!!!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

Well, one of the characters is a Robot Cop... :v:

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Having seen several of the paths in this game, I have to drop in saying that I 100% think Valories acting is award worthy.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

This upsets me.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Lunethex posted:

This upsets me.

Why?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

98% people got the key.

But only 93% opened the box.

wtf.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
maybe some people thought it was going to be a trust thing

like "i'm going you the key but I'm trusting you to keep it safe and not open the box"

:shrug:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
WHATS IN THE BOX

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Really Pants posted:

it was originally set in Hell, Michigan, but they ran into legal troubles with Hell: A Cyberpunk Adventure

Believe it or not, the above game not only does not take place in Hell, Michigan (it's the more regular kind of hell as a metaphor for a bad place) but it doesn't even take place in Michigan, but in a town on the shore of Lake Michigan.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Believe it or not, the above game not only does not take place in Hell, Michigan (it's the more regular kind of hell as a metaphor for a bad place) but it doesn't even take place in Michigan, but in a town on the shore of Lake Michigan.

Chicago, according to Wikipedia.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gross Dude: *buys attractive android*

WOMAN GET ME A BEER

this guy sucks

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Todd sure is the pits

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Gross Dude: *buys attractive android*

WOMAN GET ME A BEER

this guy sucks

Todd is the loving worst and I hope he gets exactly the treatment that someone like him deserves.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if you skip out on your child's big school recital, you can use all that time for getting high and denying Christ #ToddHacks

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

How does that guy afford a robot? They're meant to be high-end luxury items, right? Or have I got that wrong and everyone has a robot now?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tiggum posted:

How does that guy afford a robot? They're meant to be high-end luxury items, right? Or have I got that wrong and everyone has a robot now?

save thousands on all your shopping by berating the staff until they give you a better deal just so you'll leave #ToddHacks

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Tiggum posted:

They're not high-end luxury items at all, actually. The brand-new models in the store during the first episode cost the same or less than a used car, and we can (and hopefully will) later find a magazine that shows Kara to be an older model that costs less than a grand.

Apparently in the future, we're going to be torn between buying a fully-functional android or upgrading our GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

CirclMastr posted:

They're not high-end luxury items at all, actually. The brand-new models in the store during the first episode cost the same or less than a used car, and we can (and hopefully will) later find a magazine that shows Kara to be an older model that costs less than a grand.

Apparently in the future, we're going to be torn between buying a fully-functional android or upgrading our GPU.

I for one plan on stringing together a pile of android brains and using them to do the math that lets me play a game about hitting imaginary elves with sticks.