Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

"Let there be light" Geez, David Cage...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
So you just met these people 10 minutes ago, lit some fires (why do androids care about fires? Why weren't they already lit if androids care about fires?), and suddenly everyone is on board with having you lead them on a heist to steal medical supplies? It seems very rushed and a bit shallow.

That said, thanks for doing the LP CirclMastr! It's a very interesting game even if the writing is a bit wonky some of the time.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Bot 02 posted:

So you just met these people 10 minutes ago, lit some fires (why do androids care about fires? Why weren't they already lit if androids care about fires?), and suddenly everyone is on board with having you lead them on a heist to steal medical supplies? It seems very rushed and a bit shallow.

That said, thanks for doing the LP CirclMastr! It's a very interesting game even if the writing is a bit wonky some of the time.

Well, when the current plan is 'Sit here and wait for the Messiah while we all slowly die out' and someone comes along and says 'Dude we can wait for the Messiah or we can be our own Messiah let's jack some spare parts' he starts making a lot of sense.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Maybe a better and way more cyberpunk thing when scanning the burger could have been for the character to detect that the meat was A) synthetic, and B) not carrying the chemical traces marking it as the current legally approved version of synthmeat, meaning it's probably from a pirated process or is otherwise old/discontinued. Either way it means a choice on whether to follow protocol and rat out your partner's favourite burger joint and get it closed down (and if you do, do you tell him?) or bury it and choose whether you mention it anyway. It's a decent setup for explaining that neat technology can still be ruined, and has a low-stakes conflict between robocop's nature/program stability, and his growing bond or lack thereof with Lt. Washedup.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 15 with P0LARMic is now up, with (I'll say it now and a thousand other times) the worst Kara chapter in the game! An entire chapter that serves no purpose other than to misdirect the player! Arbitrarily withholding information, agency, and worst of all our best friend, gun!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 16 with mateo360 is now up. This nondescript chapter contains a very important component of the endgame. And also Sumo. Sumo is a good dog.

I miss having dogs.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
That is an excellent new character addition, and I support this 100%. Do you have the option to spend some 1-on-1 time with Sumo in the free-roam bit towards the end?

Also, judging by that end-of-chapter breakdown, the game auto-locks you into breaking into the house once you see Hank unconscious? That's kinda weird, since Connor is the android most likely to understand "He's just passed out drunk" and also "He's going to be pissed if you smash in his kitchen window, especially while it's raining."

Does it give you an option to look for a slower-but-less-wasteful way in?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Once you see it, you are forced into that path and that's the path that advances the story. There's no other path, and checking everything else before then is just to fill out the flowchart.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It looks like passing out drunk happens enough around Sumo that he doesn't care anymore.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 17 with Dan and Grace is now up, as is the tension now that Markus is leading the crew on a sneaking mission! Will they steal enough supplies for the nameless NPCs at Jericho, without getting caught in the act? Will Markus pull out some bullshit superpower with no explanation? Will Grace say something embarrassing? Tune in and find out!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

So, episode 1 of this LP just got blocked because of a copyright claim by... Ted Talks? WTF? Any advice for how I can dispute this?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

That sucks :( I'm sorry that happened, but while this is aimed at rights holders to stuff, there's screenshots here that will walk you through filing a dispute.

Since my first and last videos were at the dawn of youtube I have no personal experience, sorry, but I hope you can get this straightened out. I'm going to watch episode 17 now.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I got several hits like that from nobodies with no website to look at. Youtube is a lovely monopoly.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

CirclMastr posted:

So, episode 1 of this LP just got blocked because of a copyright claim by... Ted Talks? WTF? Any advice for how I can dispute this?

Did your sister ever give a Ted Talk about being an actress? They may think they have the copyright on her voice, and since she was co-commentating... :v:

Harvey Birdman
Oct 21, 2012

I saw someone complaining about DBH footage on Twitter and apparently David Cage's talk is going up on the official TED Talks account and so gameplay footage was mistakenly tagged for copyright claims. They're reversing it though, so hopefully it'll be automatically fixed. It's all over their replies: https://twitter.com/TEDTalks/with_replies

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Yeah, it looks like the claim has been lifted at this point, so hopefully the video is viewable again already.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
If it's worth anything, I was able to watch all of the videos yesterday. Are you able to just replay the chapters to get different choices/endings, or would you have to restart the entire game to do that?

Also, the voice actor/mocap actor for robot jesus Markus plays Dr Avery on Grey's Anatomy which is my guilty pleasure show, so I spent his first chapter going "wait, I know that voice," and then in the opening credits with his name like "wait, that name's familiar."

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 18 with TheLastRoboKy is now up, featuring the sexiest androids and also some stripper androids. I watched Back to the Future on a flight during the Thanksgiving holiday recently, and I couldn't help but think that Connor looked similar to a young Crispin Glover. Maybe it's just me though.

Miz Kriss posted:

If it's worth anything, I was able to watch all of the videos yesterday. Are you able to just replay the chapters to get different choices/endings, or would you have to restart the entire game to do that?

You can replay individual chapters, but since the ending is built off the choices you make across so many different chapters, if you want to see a different ending you basically need to replay the game. I haven't messed around with it much, obviously, since I'm doing the LP, but I'm wondering if it's possible to only replay (for example) Markus chapters to just change his ending, or his part of it, and see different things that way.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

CirclMastr posted:

but I'm wondering if it's possible to only replay (for example) Markus chapters to just change his ending, or his part of it, and see different things that way.

nope, you have to play all the in between chapters too since they can affect other characters. EX: if Kara dies at the first opportunity then Connor doesn't have the chase across the highway and you lose the the chance to have that death.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

You can replay individual chapters, but since the ending is built off the choices you make across so many different chapters, if you want to see a different ending you basically need to replay the game. I haven't messed around with it much, obviously, since I'm doing the LP, but I'm wondering if it's possible to only replay (for example) Markus chapters to just change his ending, or his part of it, and see different things that way.

That would be interesting, but that also might be more effort than David Cage put into this. :v:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CirclMastr posted:

Episode 18 with TheLastRoboKy is now up, featuring the sexiest androids and also some stripper androids.
So why were the two deviant androids just hiding there until you found them? It seems like they could have left at any time.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
If we're being charitable, it's because they knew that they had no source of outside clothes, so they'd stand out like sore thumbs in their glowing underwear; and they figured the police would just peg the dead android as the killer - which they might well have done, if Connor hadn't been there, for long enough that the heat would die down and they might be able to escape later.

Realistically, though, it's probably just because it was the only way they could think that would allow them to copy That Bit From I, Robot.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Honestly, it wasn't as skeevy as it could easily have been. David Cage has included 3D modelled nudity and sex scenes in multiple previous games, and so having everyone in bikinis is relatively restrained (and honestly kind of out of place considering it's supposed to be a seedy android brothel.)

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

malkav11 posted:

Honestly, it wasn't as skeevy as it could easily have been. David Cage has included 3D modelled nudity and sex scenes in multiple previous games, and so having everyone in bikinis is relatively restrained (and honestly kind of out of place considering it's supposed to be a seedy android brothel.)

That, and the concept of mind-melding with a bunch of robots in quick succession to track down a criminal is pretty neat.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 19 with Miz Kriss is now up. Which is apparently a direction Kara and friends have trouble traveling in, as they are still trying to get to Canada. But at least they all had a good time... or did they?

Next up is actually more Connor and Hank funtimes because the game just wants to constantly make me look bad for trying to guess whose chapter is next.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Apparently automatic cars get lost just as easily as I do

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
I'll grant them that the automatic car could break down, since Luther mentioned he'd only seen it once and had never seen Zlatko use it - clearly this has been sitting in the garage for a while, and maybe automatic cars in this screwed-up universe can do everything except tell you if the engine's vibrating wrongly. It's a shame they didn't have one of the characters in the car note a dust build-up or something, but eh, it's fine.

The rest of the breakdown bugs the hell out of me, though. The car will give you the news, but it won't offer to call the emergency services/your insurance company on breakdown? It doesn't estimate the distance/time to the nearest recovery vehicle/garage? It doesn't have an emergency kit in the back for people who might have to stand out in bad weather? It doesn't give any attempt to diagnose the problem? Assuming it just doesn't want you to help at all, it doesn't even have some little Siri voice chirp up "Please stay in your vehicle until help arrives; it can be dangerous to stand by the roadside" or something like that? C'mon, David Cage, work with me here. At the very least it should have a "Please do not try to explore any nearby abandoned fairgrounds while waiting for assistance" warning.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It super wasn't clear to me if that fairground was supposed to be permanently abandoned (in which case it makes absolutely no sense that they would have left dozens of androids behind - sure, people are prejudiced against them but they're still valuable, reprogrammable tools at the very least - and the cookies would be gross as heck, etc) or if it was just closed down for the season (in which case there's still incongruous stuff but at least some of that might make some sense?). I mean, I guess there's no point putting that much thought into David Cage writing but...

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

malkav11 posted:

It super wasn't clear to me if that fairground was supposed to be permanently abandoned (in which case it makes absolutely no sense that they would have left dozens of androids behind - sure, people are prejudiced against them but they're still valuable, reprogrammable tools at the very least - and the cookies would be gross as heck, etc) or if it was just closed down for the season (in which case there's still incongruous stuff but at least some of that might make some sense?). I mean, I guess there's no point putting that much thought into David Cage writing but...

That's the lesson we gotta learn from David "Hams for Hands" Cage. Don't think too much about it.

I kinda got the sense that it was abandoned permanently since the Jerrys were like "omg a little girl! We haven't seen one of those in forever!!!" and the wear & tear (as well as the bar & grill being boarded up. Also ties into the ham-handed sense of the androids are seen as less than human and property at best.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Miz Kriss posted:

I kinda got the sense that it was abandoned permanently since the Jerrys were like "omg a little girl! We haven't seen one of those in forever!!!"
If they were specifically programmed for this kind of work they might not have the same sense of time as humans or other robots. Like, if they wake up every day thinking it's been a long time since they've seen anyone then they'll always be super enthusiastic, or something like that.

But it seems like all the robots get exactly the same programming regardless of what job they're intended for so that's probably not the explanation.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 20 with new glasses (but still migraines) is now up. Because this LP isn't dead, believe it or not.

It turns out that, while I obviously can't do any sort of prolonged work, avoiding everything entirely doesn't actually help. Or at least it hasn't. So, there's no real reason for me to abandon this altogether for the sake of my migraines. I can't promise a weekly schedule or anything, because I'm limited in how much I can do at a sitting, but I'm going to keep at it.

And I clearly badly need co-commentators.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

Episode 20 with new glasses (but still migraines) is now up. Because this LP isn't dead, believe it or not.

It turns out that, while I obviously can't do any sort of prolonged work, avoiding everything entirely doesn't actually help. Or at least it hasn't. So, there's no real reason for me to abandon this altogether for the sake of my migraines. I can't promise a weekly schedule or anything, because I'm limited in how much I can do at a sitting, but I'm going to keep at it.

And I clearly badly need co-commentators.

I'll be down to talk about the consequences of eating food found in an abandoned theme park again

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

It's good to see you back, CircleMastr. I'm sorry to hear about the migraines. I'm not sure I'd be any kind of good guest, but I'll put my hat into the ring too!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 21 with Dan and Grace is now up. Markus is delivering manifestos of peace, despite North (and Grace) wishing otherwise.

(This meme is as dead as my LP career so it's totally appropriate.)

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Really when you think about it, robot lib is the means of production seizing itself. :hmmyes:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Anticheese posted:

Really when you think about it, robot lib is the means of production seizing itself. :hmmyes:

So it's masturbation, then.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 22 with Coolguy is now up. Discover the fate of poor Simon, left on the roof, as Connor and Hank investigate what Coolguy aptly describes as the "propaganda heist."

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

CirclMastr posted:

Episode 21 with Dan and Grace is now up. Markus is delivering manifestos of peace, despite North (and Grace) wishing otherwise.

(This meme is as dead as my LP career so it's totally appropriate.)

I have a hard time doing the "bad/evil" storylines in any game--the last one I can remember is Infamous 1. so I definitely went for the peaceful route in Detroit.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They could have used that heart beat measuring device thing they did in the police station interrogation room, to out that guy. Did they really make a Kali Ma sacrifice option in that room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Maybe the stress monitor was built into the police interrogation room. Who knows.

As for Connor's Kali Ma option, he pulls out the part (from whichever android you choose), explains the part and how the android will die in 90 seconds without it, then tells him to fess up... before putting it back into the android. And yes, if you do this to the deviant, the deviant just Kali Ma's Connor right back, making it look like a case of, "Thanks for showing me how to shut you down, idiot!"