Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Extended Cut was pretty good, except that they wussed out on the Destroy ending because they were too scared of their fans to have anything negative happen. So the "rip off the band aid, sacrifice everything for the sake of destruction" ending has a vibe of "everything will be fine, no worries". I did the Control ending anyway, computer gods for life bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

My favorite part about ME:A MP was when the goon discord server couldn't figure out why there was such huge damage variability sometimes, and we decided to go looking in the code.

Shotguns taking a penalty for being out of cover was pretty wild, but the best one was that the heads headshot multiplier for different sniper rifles was different.

The big nasty single shot, highest damage bullet in the game rifle only had a 2x, most had a 2.5x, and the high-end 4 shot 'light' one had a 3.5x multiplier.

If you were actually hitting headshots with a goddamn sniper rifle, the light quick one did more damage per shot than the big heavy slow one.

Both of those got fixed a couple of patches in, but it just went to show how little attention went into MP.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I remember headshot hit detection being really hit or miss too. I would have shots straight to the dome not count as headshots but hits to the shoulders or upper back would count sometimes? I had a theory there was a bug where the head hitbox would invisibly get disassociated from where it was supposed to be.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Relentless posted:

My favorite part about ME:A MP was when the goon discord server couldn't figure out why there was such huge damage variability sometimes, and we decided to go looking in the code.

Shotguns taking a penalty for being out of cover was pretty wild, but the best one was that the heads headshot multiplier for different sniper rifles was different.

The big nasty single shot, highest damage bullet in the game rifle only had a 2x, most had a 2.5x, and the high-end 4 shot 'light' one had a 3.5x multiplier.

If you were actually hitting headshots with a goddamn sniper rifle, the light quick one did more damage per shot than the big heavy slow one.

Both of those got fixed a couple of patches in, but it just went to show how little attention went into MP.

everyone who made the ME 3 multiplayer must have left the company years ago at that point if dumb poo poo like that got through the development

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Movement in Frostbite games just also simply feels awful

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I remember them trying to defend the shotgun cover thing as like, this is how people use shotguns and it was just not true

Especially since cover grabs disappeared

Those quick zoom animations were so cool, basically working on the railroad on geth/white/gold

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
:bioware:

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I will always appreciate ME3MP being like "what if we let the player do bullshit i-frames stuff too" and it turns out it's perfectly fine

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Vekyo/status/1662644903539515393

Anthem being made in 15 months explains some things

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/Vekyo/status/1662644903539515393

And it tracks with the progression Bioware was on, deep into their "Bioware Magic" phase where they'd fully bought their own bullshit and thought they could spend years rearranging deck chairs and then chun out a complete game in the last year and a half of development. Seems like every single game they made after Mass Effect 2 was shat in less than two years of actual development.

Explains a lot about Dragon Age 2, and Mass Effect 3, and Dragon Age: Inquisition, and Mass Effect: Andromeda. They're lucky they got away with it for as long as they did.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

gradenko_2000 posted:

honestly that's kind of impressive then. game still bad but game made in a year-and-a-quarter even being functional isn't nothing

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I dunno. It's impressive in one sense, but it also makes me feel worse about Bioware retroactively. Their games could have been so much better if their management wasn't completely rancid.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

I dunno. It's impressive in one sense, but it also makes me feel worse about Bioware retroactively. Their games could have been so much better if their management wasn't completely rancid.

yeah I mean it's not a good thing at all. speaks to the skill of the devs and the failure of upper management

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Feels like a similar and earlier version of what's happened to Riot and Blizzard, where a beloved IP attracts a shitload of talented artists and engineers, who then get exploited to poo poo and back by a gaggle of grifters in suits.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Feels like a similar and earlier version of what's happened to Riot and Blizzard, where a beloved IP attracts a shitload of talented artists and engineers, who then get exploited to poo poo and back by a gaggle of grifters in suits.

Its a funny thing you brought up Blizzard. Stories of Overwatch's development actually sound a lot like the history of Anthem's development. For both games, what was actually released was the scraps that could be salvaged of a nearly decade long project that would've kept going on and on if one of the suits didn't put their foot down and make them release something.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I guess I should say grifters in suits and terrible management practices.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Skippy McPants posted:

It's like a kid trying to get extra marks on an assignment because they did it all in the last night before it was due when they had weeks to do it.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Skippy McPants posted:

The issue also lies in the "talented" business grifters that are also attracted to massively successful companies and then make a total mess of it all, chasing profits.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

kilus aof posted:

It's like a kid trying to get extra marks on an assignment because they did it all in the last night before it was due when they had weeks to do it.

I am kinda baffled by that whole twitter chain, honestly

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Preechr posted:

Remember when they originally released ME3, and forgot to include actual endings?

But there was lots of speculation from everyone!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
BioWare (pronouns anthey/anthem)

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
I'm trying a different idea than the sliding block puzzle thing for upgrades. I'm going to give the player a hand of cards they can play using energy, and you can build your deck of cards through the run. When you have used all the cards you can/want, you discard your hand. This puts you into a cooldown and then you get your energy back and draw cards again. You can shorten your cooldown by being near enemies or by taking damage.

You will reload using the cards, gain shields using the cards, and abilities will be on the cards as well.

I'm working to implement the card system, I'm getting close - just have a bunch of reload cards for now. What do folks think? Are there any other games doing systems like this?

https://twitter.com/IndeedRyan/status/1672247176129388546?t=Sd6mDoxnJ_w4WsdNQCRhVw&s=19

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
Unity may have poo poo the bed with it's monetization scheme, but luckily no one will ever make money off Dreams!

https://twitter.com/IndeedRyan/status/1702153266325336564?s=20

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
ah poo poo I thought about Anthem

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

Disargeria posted:

Haha

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Disargeria posted:

Great, now Dave Gaider has to write another twenty cent check to Unity

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Anthem Core 6: Fires of Tarsis

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Since I'm not on Twitter I just now learned >1 week later that Bioware's dead. I didn't read it here. You all let me down.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Since I'm not on Twitter I just now learned >1 week later that Bioware's dead. I didn't read it here. You all let me down.

:bioware: died a long time ago. Skull out front should've told ya.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
More like Biowhere

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

gradenko_2000 posted:

More like Biowhere

New thread title

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

gradenko_2000 posted:

More like Biowhere

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

More like Biowhere

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That's an odd name. I'd have called em Die-o-ware.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

eonblue174 posted:

Unity may have poo poo the bed with it's monetization scheme, but luckily no one will ever make money off Dreams!

https://twitter.com/IndeedRyan/status/1702153266325336564?s=20

Very much appreciate the sound effects but it's looking quite good too isn't it?

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Very much appreciate the sound effects but it's looking quite good too isn't it?

Thank you! I'm really happy with how it's coming together, I've been doing a lot of system work to get the proc gen levels working so it's fun to finally fit the pieces together and see it look pretty.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
More updates to the level aesthetics, and a more integrated card system

https://twitter.com/IndeedRyan/status/1734180536057213245?s=20

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
My family is coming over for a post-Christmas lunch, and I like to get a cheap PS4 game or two for my niece and nephew to play while they're over. I was looking through the cheap games and I was passing through a huge section of games called like "Jumping Burrito", there are dozens of them and I learned that they are just there so achievement degenerates can get an easy platinum.... for some reason.

Anyway guess what classic Bioware online multiplayer action role-playing video game was snuggly nestled in between pages of fake games on the PS4 store?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It really is a shame. If they had gone the DA:I route and just made it a regular old RPG with party banter, and quests, and an actual story and poo poo then it'd probably be remembered as one of their best games. It'd still be janky as all gently caress, but the baseline flight and combat mechanics were pretty fun.

It really is a Bioware game where someone sat down and said, "you know all the stuff people love about our games? Let's take all that out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

It really is a Bioware game where someone sat down and said, "you know all the stuff people love about our games? Let's take all that out."

they keep doing this or trying to do it and it's bizarre. like how they wanted to make Andromeda with all procgen planets. dumb!