Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Benne posted:

I guess, but it just felt like half "people coming in to eat quick pins and gently caress off out of their contracts" and half "hastily reminding you of storylines still going on" without letting anything sink in. It didn't have the cohesion or flow of the other Aztec Warfare matches, and looked edited to hell and back. At least Pentagon got a strong win and the most eliminations, which was the right call.

Also unless Melissa, uh, put on some weight over the past year, that definitely wasn't her in the Mariposa suit.

Ghidzilla posted:

Because I'm derpy, that *was* still Cheerleader Melissa as Mariposa, right?

Good enough opening show, next week's main event will be boss.

Yeah, that was still her, she took time off to get breast implants and probably couldn't do much while she was healing. Someone on Reddit posted this: :nws: https://gfycat.com/HardtofindFirmHummingbird . I'm only posting that link as a 'yep, it's her', not as anything creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

I'm just waiting for Aerostar to go back in time, grab Dario before he dies, and bring him to the present so we can have Papa Cueto vs. Dario.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Gavok posted:

See, I didn't like when they did the GOTG cash-in at the end of the last season because it felt like it cheapened Pentagon finally becoming champion in various ways and just didn't feel true to the characters.

For Marty, I feel it absolutely worked because it fits with both wrestlers. Pentagon's constant downfall is his own actions coming back to bite him in the rear end. This is both an act of revenge and karma for Pentagon doing the same thing to Prince Puma. With Marty, it goes with Mariposa's tough love. He's spent the last few years trying to get what he wants by being a psychopath brute and hasn't been tapping into the fact that he's Ted Dibiase. He's finally succeeded because he was able to keep himself together enough to come up with a scheme and used his money to exploit Cueto's greed in order to change the rules in Marty's favor.

Yeah, I didn't mind it for all those reasons and because it opens up more storyline options. Now we've got a creepy bastard who has discovered that he can rig the odds in his favor just by dumping cash on Cueto's desk, a possible Pentagon "i'm breaking everyone's everything" reign of terror, Vampiro/his master's plan to bring Pentagon down from last season and how this affects that...unless this IS that plan, etc. To me, Pentagon works better as Stone Cold, dude does what he wants, when he wants, and doesn't necessarily need the title in order to be the most important thing on the show. And if he doesn't necessarily need the title, then why not use it to elevate someone else?

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 20, 2018

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

If there's one thing that's been fun about Hernandez over the years, it's watching his increasingly poor tattoo decisions.

So...given JAKESTRONG'S dialogue in this episode, and the growly voice, etc. , are we going for JAKESTRONG is the shadowy guy from the limo? Papa Cueto wouldn't know who he was, that was all Dario.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah...I think everyone could see the writing on the wall when all the popular characters were either written out, no-shows for season 4, or they started taking many bookings elsewhere indicating that they've moved on. The whole "wrestlers suing them to get out of their contracts" thing felt like the end.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Erebus posted:

Man, early LU was so much fun. :(

It really was, and while taping an entire season at once helped a lot, story-wise, I think it also ended up hurting them in the long run. They couldn't pivot and take advantage of things like Pentagon being incredibly over when they probably should have given him the title much earlier.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

They should have had Pentagon be top guy and stay there. No one else in LU was anywhere near as over after season 1.

Yeah, the reaction to Penta cashing in the Gotg on Puma should have told them something...and as a viewer, it was a very "so..i'm supposed to be happy that Puma didn't lose his career, and be upset that Pentagon cashed in on him...but I really, really like Pentagon and he's needed to be champ forever, so...??" thing. And the crowd didn't give a gently caress about the Puma stuff, given the reaction as soon as they realized that Penta was cashing in.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I still think the sudden giant gap in the middle of season 3 was what really killed my interest in the show. They were building to the All Night Long match between Johnny Mundo and.... I forget, actually... but they were building up to it and then suddenly a few months go by with nothing and then suddenly we were right back in the middle of it and the momentum was just dead.

Then they made the bizarre decision to "kill" Dario, keep his actor but make him wear a wig and a bunch of prosthetics and have a terrible voice and I just lost all interest :sigh:

I 100% believe that the split in season 3 killed interest in the show for almost everyone, and LU never recovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

At least watch up through Hell of War in Ultima Lucha Tres. That match is insane and a legit MOTY choice. If you cut it off anywhere, that's a good spot to cut.

That said, S4, as bad as it is in a lot of ways, still has some great wrestling. Daga comes back, Sammy Guevara shows up, there's a fun and stupid gimmick match with Matanza and Mundo, Famous B steals the show again. S4 is unquestionably the worst season of the show but the stuff in the ring is still frequently good. It's just the plotlines, characters, production value etc. that goes down the toilet.

I love the Hell of War match...it's one of the few matches i've seen that made me feel something, deep inside myself somewhere, even if that feeling was legitimate concern for both Killshot and Fox as people and performers. There were points where I was sitting there just saying to myself "stop...just stop, guys." It's "Ibushi hating his own neck" level of stuff at times.