Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I didn't like how the Temple looks clean but has weird lovely yellow lighting. I hope that gets addressed as the show moves on.

So who all is written off? Hernandez didn't need it so the arm break is kinda weird. I assume Marty's gone. Either Mariposa is already gone or she's already checked herself out mentally because yeah. Angelico is gone. Fox hasn't changed his twitter away from Dante so I feel like his absence might be a story thing rather than a quitting thing?

edit: Also was Chavo ever reinstated on screen or do we just roll with it?

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Papa Cueto is so weird because I can't tell if we're supposed to know, in kayfabe, whether that's obviously Dario in a beard, or if they're clearly different in kayfabe and we just know that's clearly Luis Fernandez Gil in a beard.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's so weird. They bent kayfabe in the other direction with something that's so fake we can't tell if we're supposed to know.

I really hope they get better lighting. The new temple is weirdly clean but with much shittier lighting.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I feel like the enthusiasm in the show is just gone. The crowd sits further away, the camera work seems way more obviously stitched together, and commentary seems like it might be dubbed after the fact. They definitely did some post-event dubbing for Aztec Warfare 2 but most of it was still live. I don't have that vibe here.

I hope they get it going again because I used to be so excited for the show and it feels like that energy is gone.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm bummed that we got a Crane match that wasn't 80% him kicking people in the face. That poo poo was so fun.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It was a pretty throwaway episode, which I guess is as good a week as any to have one. Daga is still fantastic and I'm so glad he's back. Kobra has learned some poo poo during her time away but her movement still feels a bit unnatural. Still, I don't think she's an albatross around the show's neck like she was before.

I don't get the appeal of Swagger but people seem to love him so hopefully that enthusiasm will go somewhere.

Hard to tell if they wrote Fenix off or if he's gonna come back from the dead again.

I'm all for Cuerno becoming a major protagonist. He's so good and he ate poo poo for this show for so long. Let this be his time in the sun.

Camera work feels really weak. I wonder if one of the big cost-cutting measures was all those camera crew and their sick rigs. There were lots of cuts in post-production that felt off and like they wouldn't have been made but for the absence of better shots. I dunno. I feel like the wrestlers continue to deliver and everything else is coming up short. I hope the magic can come back.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

This was the best episode of the season so far. I'm back to being hopeful for the show. Fun matches, really neat plot turns, stuff to look forward to.

I like the twist on the whole "who has the power" dynamic between Muertes and Catrina, since Mil was getting too big for his britches as his reincarnations progressed. And the Rabbit Tribe is gold at all times.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I also love how with each important kill and each resurrection, Mil Muertes's gear gets more ornate, lately with more and more red highlights. It's like his ring gear is a phylactery slowly filling with blood, and it is metal as poo poo.

He's had the red contacts and it really caps off the look.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Oh nice, Desmond Xavier! I've been saying ever since I first saw the Rascalz that kid is gonna do something big. I think he's got much bigger things in his future.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Did they just gather less funding and make steep cuts to production quality since certain core talent basically can't be released without killing the show?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Man I couldn't ask for a better main event. There's not a single result to that match I would've been unhappy with.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I hope Guevera isn't on the shelf. He was fun. Swagger just looks like some thousand yard stare Frankenstein.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is Jack Evans officially written off then? I hope not but I figure he's walking the same path as Angelico.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I was wondering why they had been angling the Douchebag Crew to be face-like lately and I guess that's our answer. That was so cool! (And also hilarious that Johnny is such a loving wrestler that he had to reference Macho even then.)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So uh... does LU have bad blood with Ricochet? I thought the way they put Puma over on the way out, everything was cool but now it seems like serious sour grapes.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Takuan posted:

It's because they filmed his last show over a year before it aired, and during that time they stopped him from appearing on other US TV shows, like New Japan's US Special, and WWE.

No I mean I get why he'd be pissed but I hadn't heard anything about any reason for them to be mad at him in return.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I love that everyone in LU is so goddamned evil that the biggest douchebags on the planet are loveable scamp faces now.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I love Hernandez. He's a fairly straightforward heel but he's very expressive.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I don't know how that Fenix storyline is gonna turn out but that brief bit in the ring was the most excited I've ever been watching him.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

This season is Pentagon's story. Now he has something to fight for.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I don't think a guy who cheated in two different ways is supposed to be seen as a top level threat. This is just how we put Penta back in the story. He spent most of the show as a midcarder or gatekeeper that his title run was necessary to build his credibility as a top guy. Now he has something to chase.

I mean if months on Marty is still champion and portrayed as a worldbeater, I'll eat my words. But the guy has transitional champion written all over him.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Fair enough.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

He's been name-dropping a conspiracy an episode for a while. Last week was Aerostar is one of the Nordics, the week before was Aerostar is Nephilim, the week before was The Reptile Tribe are reptoid shapeshifters like the ones who rule the world

(loose recollection)

I doubt he buys it since if so, it implies he believes all the other wacko poo poo week to week

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

"BECAUSE AT ULTIMA LUCHA CUATRO, I WILL BREAK YOUR BONES" say the subtitle
"[something] PUTA MADRE, CABRON" says Pentagon's actual voice

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I hope there's another season (I can't imagine how) because Reklusa was fun. I'd also love to see the Fenix/Mil team happen more. I loved that vibe that they hate each other but have an understanding. And christ they were fun.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

He should be on the show too

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I can't believe we're so close so UL already. I really thought Marty was a transitional champ but he's carrying it all the way to the season (series?) finale.

That said, as disappointed as I am with nearly everything else, the wrestling is still fun and there's still several matches at UL that say MOTY contender to me.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Jesus Christ, Fox got killed twice that episode by half-assed catches. I can't believe that springboard reverse shooting star to the outside plopped him right in a dead zone of six people where he just sort of flopped to the ground without any support.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Man, I'm gonna miss Killshot. He's been one of my favorites since S1 and still has one of the best matches in the show and of that year.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

He should be on the show too

Ahahahhahahahahhahahahha

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

For real though this season was stupid as hell but Ultima Lucha was some great popcorn fun. It didn't have MOTY material like Hell of War or career defining moments like Cero Miedo 1, but I had a hell of a lot of fun.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Who's even left anyway? The AAA guys (and Cuerno is no longer AAA so....). It's like all AAA plus Famous B

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What a rotten way for a good show to die.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Watching past the first episode for the first time now (on King Cuerno’s debut), does the commentary ever get better, or should I just maintain expectations where they are?

It really depends what you don't like about it. They get less creepy as time goes on. If you don't like it because he's just a weird fourth-wall-breaking nerd, well, that's just Matt Striker.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I really like his commentary style, personally but I 100% get why someone else might not. I think the closer you keep him to play-by-play, the better he is, but his role really expanded because Vampiro is, well... Vampiro.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

The creepiness is a significant part of it, so that’s something to look forward to. The other piece I don’t really care for is how often it sounds like they’re recording a commercial for the show rather than commentary for the people who are obviously currently watching.

That also subsides. Part of it was trying to promote El Rey and part of it was committing to the fiction of being a come-one-come-all illegal fighting ring.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So where can I see Rey Horus anymore?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

At least watch up through Hell of War in Ultima Lucha Tres. That match is insane and a legit MOTY choice. If you cut it off anywhere, that's a good spot to cut.

That said, S4, as bad as it is in a lot of ways, still has some great wrestling. Daga comes back, Sammy Guevara shows up, there's a fun and stupid gimmick match with Matanza and Mundo, Famous B steals the show again. S4 is unquestionably the worst season of the show but the stuff in the ring is still frequently good. It's just the plotlines, characters, production value etc. that goes down the toilet.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's one of those "I don't even like deathmatches but..." kind of matches. Just insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The fact that Vibora was able to take Luchasaurus with him because it wasn't a company trademark is one of the few feelgood stories about the end of this show.