Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Xerzes posted:

Why the gently caress did Striker just say "pizzagate."

This is the best explanation for why people don't like Matt Striker. He could do a great job calling a match with enthusiasm and passion, but at some point he'll yell, "Chris Benoit did nothing wrong!" and ruin any goodwill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Pinwiz11 posted:

I've missed the Beautiful Brenda.

I like that double-take where Mack is all, "She's hot... but the gently caress is wrong with her?"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

It's his other brother Daluigi.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

boar guy posted:

the crowd got a lot whiter now that the temple isn't in boyle heights any more

And the roster!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Erebus posted:

I guess I started watching WWE sort of later in his career but does Jack Swagger really warrant a "holy poo poo" chant

During his early WWECW days, he was overwhelming with promise and later came off as a choice talent that got screwed up by WWE's failure to book competently. Lucha Underground could potentially do something good with him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Explosions posted:

"Holy poo poo they found someone whiter than Sami Callihan."

They actually did.

https://www.facebook.com/LuchaUnderground/videos/2232549623436883/

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

exploded mummy posted:

WWE didn't make him commit DUI just before a Wrestlemania world title match and kill any future main event push for a while

That's on him, but even if he kept his nose clean, it was just as badly and rashly booked as his title run.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I think the problem right now is that the transition from season 3 to season 4 has made the show bloated and a little confusing. The agreement was that some wrestlers would get released from their contracts if they agreed to show up and get written off ASAP. That means that many situations make you look at what's happening with wondering if that person is gone or if it's supposed to lead to something. Even from the latest main event, the futures of Fenix, Crane and Ivelisse are up in the air. At the same time, new characters and plotlines keep popping up to overlap on all of that.

If they find their groove, it's going to take a few episodes.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

One thing I found interesting about this week's episode is that while King Cuerno has turned face, there seems to be some emphasis that he might be the new hero of the show. Pentagon is the ace, but Cuerno is the new protagonist.

Also, I love how instead of building tension over the gauntlet situation, Cage and Cuerno remind us that they are total bros for some unexplained reason.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Explosions posted:

Did Matanza just sacrifice a pizza?

He's low key calling out the Undertaker, known Dominos delivery man.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

...Maybe snake monster heads grow back? :ohdear:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Beautiful Brenda is the ace of Lucha Underground.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yes, except they took the one thing that really made GOTG stand out from MITB and arbitrarily scrapped it for the sake of taking the title off of someone over and putting it on a mediocre (comparatively) heel midcarder for ostensibly shock value.

Yeah, Dragon Azteca lost it defending it but WWE has done that gimmick too. It's not organically part of the thing, but they've done it 3 or 4 times, albeit only having it change hands once to date.

The reason it's WWE-esque is because they used GOTG in the one way I never felt they would. To put the title on a relatively random, not especially over midcarder in a way that kinda makes the new champion look like a geek (because it wasn't built to properly) and severely undermines the title. It'd bother me significantly less if Marty wasn't in "creative has nothing for you" land for 90% of the season.

See, I didn't like when they did the GOTG cash-in at the end of the last season because it felt like it cheapened Pentagon finally becoming champion in various ways and just didn't feel true to the characters.

For Marty, I feel it absolutely worked because it fits with both wrestlers. Pentagon's constant downfall is his own actions coming back to bite him in the rear end. This is both an act of revenge and karma for Pentagon doing the same thing to Prince Puma. With Marty, it goes with Mariposa's tough love. He's spent the last few years trying to get what he wants by being a psychopath brute and hasn't been tapping into the fact that he's Ted Dibiase. He's finally succeeded because he was able to keep himself together enough to come up with a scheme and used his money to exploit Cueto's greed in order to change the rules in Marty's favor.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

This has been my thought process for the past several episodes of Lucha Underground.

https://twitter.com/Gavin4L/status/1056000318620745728

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ghidzilla posted:

Someone mind recapping the last half hour ish? My cable cut out. :(

- Pentagon beats Marty the Moth for the title. He tries to break his arm, but Reclusa stops him. Vampiro runs in to help run her off. Afterwards, Vampiro hands Pentagon the title and right as Pentagon seems like he's going to show some respect, Vampiro attacks him. They fight each other until a new guy -- identified as Vampiro's master -- shows up to kick Pentagon's rear end with flippy poo poo. He noticeably dresses similar to Pentagon.

- Jake Strong shows up and says that Cueto allows him to cash in his Gift of the Gods title. He snaps Pentagon's ankle and wins via Pentagon passing out. Strong is the new champ.

- Aerostar convinces Johnny Mundo to give up the Gauntlet, as it will turn him into a possessed husk.

- Johnny meets with Taya in the locker room, but she holds him by the throat and makes it clear that she's not his wife, but a god.

- Aerostar, Dragon Azteca Jr. and Cuerno meet up about the Gauntlet. Cuerno wants it hidden away, but Azteca suggests using it now before it's too late. Aerostar says to do it quick.

- Black Lotus appears before Matanza, wearing the Gauntlet. She knows that he's the one responsible for her father's death, so she tears his heart out. She returns the Gauntlet to Azteca, with both feeling avenged. After she leaves, Jake Strong ambushes Azteca, snaps his ankle and starts slapping the Gauntlet across his chest while doing the "STRONG!" chant.

- In the limo, we see Vampiro's master, Papa Cueto, the guy who shot Dario and Jake Strong sitting together. The gods all now have human forms, though they lost Matanza. The cigar-smoking leader reveals himself as Wade Barrett and asks if there's any other bad news.

- A flashback shows that after Dario's funeral, Aerostar appears and puts the immortality medallion around Dario's neck. He wakes up confused and goes "What the f--" before the to be continue graphic.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So there has to be decent odds that PJ Black is secretly a mole for God Barrett.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Martinpale posted:

Yeah...I think everyone could see the writing on the wall when all the popular characters were either written out, no-shows for season 4, or they started taking many bookings elsewhere indicating that they've moved on. The whole "wrestlers suing them to get out of their contracts" thing felt like the end.

Agreed. The way they handled stuff in season 4 seemed like a messy step for the right reason. After being lovely about contracts, they fixed things by allowing people to leave the company as long as they showed up to get written out. It made the season chaotic, but on its way to figuring out its new status quo. Then it turns out the contract stuff was even shadier than expected and it's like nobody wants to be part of the series anymore.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Martinpale posted:

It really was, and while taping an entire season at once helped a lot, story-wise, I think it also ended up hurting them in the long run. They couldn't pivot and take advantage of things like Pentagon being incredibly over when they probably should have given him the title much earlier.

I don't think Pentagon vs. Matanza at the end of season 2 was bad, but it was the first major disappointment in the show. The match was too big and neither guy could lose, so we got an overbooked ending out of the season's big finale. On paper, it was fine to build up the third season towards Pentagon winning the title, but they handled that really badly.

First off, the mid-season break did nobody any favors and made the show cool off too much. Then they did the Cueto Cup, which was overwhelming with screwy endings on a show that was usually really good about not doing screwy endings. Then Pentagon's ascension to top guy was done in a really lovely way that didn't really make him look good at all while also screwing with the Gift of the Gods gimmick.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Benne posted:

Season 4 had Johnny Mundo and Taya invading a lizard temple while dressed as Indiana Jones and Marion and cutting off a lizard man's head and it's not even the weirdest part of the season.

None of that would have happened if Vibora had a jungle savage hanging out with him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The fact that Vibora was able to take Luchasaurus with him because it wasn't a company trademark is one of the few feelgood stories about the end of this show.

It's my headcanon that Luchasaurus was a clone of Vibora with the DNA genetically engineered to be more sophisticated and friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

LobsterMobster posted:

Now I need to see Wayne Knight collecting a sample

Actually, I just need to see Jurassic Park, but with wrestlers

Poor Wayne Knight. Killed by Tajiri.