Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
I didn't know if that video before the film was part of the actual movie or one of the theater's many pre-show bumpers but yeah studios in general seem to like putting weird congratulatory things like that in movies now. I've noticed movies like the X-men films are also have bumpers at the end talking about how the film created X many jobs or employed Y many people, I want to say it's an anti-piracy thing as well as encouraging people to see films in theaters rather than waiting for home releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

lizardman posted:

An interesting thing was the little clip before the movie started where the cast reflects on the 14 year wait and thanks the fans for their patience, etc., which I think was done partly because there wasn't any real way to address the long absence or generate pathos over it within the film itself.

It's also a little weird to think that no children today were alive when The Incredibles was released, so this video was apparently talking to the adults in the audience. And I dunno maybe I'm just weird, but I stopped waiting for Incredibles 2 a long time ago and though it's nice it's finally here it doesn't mean the same thing to me as it would have, say, 8 years ago. Like I pretty much presumed I was not even in this movie's target audience but here it was addressing me directly as if I were.

Ah, I'm overthinking it. And besides, someone who was 5 when The Incredibles came out is 19 now and that's still in the range where pop culture is important to you, so *shrugs*

I'm sure you’re not the only one thinking it. That said, I don’t think it’s really a kids movie (or at least the creators didn’t approach it that way), so you are probably more in the target audience than you expect.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of audiences, Incredibles 2 has passed $500 M at the domestic box office and is smashing all animation sales records. It does seem to point to there being a lot more pent-up demand for this than there was for other Pixar sequels, which like I said were probably regarded more as a pleasant surprise rather than something people had been clamoring for and anticipating.

I actually feel vindicated enough to submit I always felt that the original Incredibles was a bigger hit than what might be suggested by its box office performance or merchandise sales, and I think it has to do with the crossover quality I mentioned early in the thread. For those that follow Pixar, The Incredibles is great and possibly even a classic, but not necessarily exceptional in a line filled with great classic family films. But I think there's a whole other audience for which The Incredibles is almost THE Pixar movie. It's a legit action masterpiece, possibly the best of its decade, and made all the more distinctive and memorable because it's a DISNEY animated movie of all things.

I remember at the time Disney studio heads made it known they thought a holiday season release had hampered The Incredibles' ticket sales and it convinced them to focus on the summer for subsequent Pixar releases. I had thought this was crazy of them to express such seeming disappointment in what was by all measures a splendid run in theaters, but now I think they were correct, it had the potential to be even bigger.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Also there was a bumper in front of Coco. This might just be a new Disney/Pixar thing. But behind-the-scenes bits on animation help address the legitimacy of the format, which has been a problem with American animation since the rise of TV. I hope other studios adopt the practice.

The "it's only a cartoon" crowd really burn my bits.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

lizardman posted:

Speaking of audiences, Incredibles 2 has passed $500 M at the domestic box office and is smashing all animation sales records.

It's breaking all kinds of non-animated records as well, it's currently the 11th biggest domestic film of all time (unadjusted) and at this rate it might even overtake The Avengers and Jurassic World.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^ It really is quite the box office monster! Seems like a perfect storm of pent-up demand, childhood nostalgia, a lack of competition for family films and animation, a well-placed release date (debuting during Father's Day weekend was an excellent idea), strong reviews and of course the Pixar pedigree. And to think two months ago I was thinking there was no hype about this movie.

I was about to note that this runaway success might be an American phenomenon as the domestic gross is currently twice that of the overseas total, but turns out they're going for a more heavily staggered release internationally - Incredibles 2 still hasn't been released in key markets like UK, Japan, Korea, Germany and elsewhere in Europe and Asia. Probably thanks in part to that dang World Cup. (Now that I think of it, that might help explain why this thread seems a little slow for such a huge movie)

The movie was released in China and so far has made $40 million there; my impression is that's not particularly great for that market (I think, but Chinese box office grosses seem all over the place) but hey, that's $40 million it wouldn't have made otherwise.

Das Boo posted:

Also there was a bumper in front of Coco. This might just be a new Disney/Pixar thing. But behind-the-scenes bits on animation help address the legitimacy of the format, which has been a problem with American animation since the rise of TV. I hope other studios adopt the practice.

It's strange to me there are still folks out there who have weird hangups about animation considering CGI is pretty much photorealistic at this point and the majority of effects-heavy blockbusters probably have at least as much animation as they do live action footage.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Das Boo posted:

Wrinkle in Time had one too so yeah it might just a weird-rear end thing Disney decided they need to do from now on.

I feel like a lot of anti-animation sentiment is just kinda... made-up. People will say things like that while loving any animated short/film they happen to actually watch. It’s weird, it’s like there’s this big stigma against animation except it’s mostly just an illusion. No one knows how to sell it; to somehow spread the message of “stop acting like you don’t like animation for no reason”. It’s going to be interesting to see how Enter the Spiderverse does.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If the movies canonically take place in 1962, then did Mr. Incredible and Frozone fight in World War 2? Or did superpowers only manifest with the advent of the nuclear age?

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Pigbuster posted:

Wrinkle in Time had one too so yeah it might just a weird-rear end thing Disney decided they need to do from now on.

I feel like a lot of anti-animation sentiment is just kinda... made-up. People will say things like that while loving any animated short/film they happen to actually watch. It’s weird, it’s like there’s this big stigma against animation except it’s mostly just an illusion. No one knows how to sell it; to somehow spread the message of “stop acting like you don’t like animation for no reason”. It’s going to be interesting to see how Enter the Spiderverse does.

On the other hand I feel like there's a lot of totally undeserved backlash against CGI among even hardcore animation fans that is mostly nostalgia propped up by a bunch of :biotruths: pseudoscience.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pigbuster posted:

The anti-animation sentiment is mostly critical and maybe generational I think, as usual I blame baby boomers who grew up during the dark ages of animation where it was exclusively no-budget dreck for kids or weird underground movies. It's like with video games, people dismiss it as kiddy nerd poo poo despite it making billions of dollars until suddenly one day it's everywhere and the old dismissive attitude seems quaint and out of touch.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

General Dog posted:

If the movies canonically take place in 1962, then did Mr. Incredible and Frozone fight in World War 2? Or did superpowers only manifest with the advent of the nuclear age?

What makes you think it takes place in 62? There was a lot of tech and design that was extremely modern. I figure it takes place in the same era as Archer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Feenix posted:

What makes you think it takes place in 62? There was a lot of tech and design that was extremely modern. I figure it takes place in the same era as Archer.

It has New Math as a minor plot point (though could be compared to Common Core today), what appears to be a Soviet Union themed superhero and most of the vehicles are either 60s style or what people in the 60s thought the future would be like. I figure it takes place in Jonny Quest/Venture Bros style 60s, where thanks to super-geniuses there's futuristic technology peppered in and relatively modern social attitudes, but they don't call too much attention to it either way.

Also on the animation note, reminded that appearly in China, where they're basically being exposed to Western media free of context, there isn't much stigma towards animated movies compared to live action ones and adults will happily watch them casually. Makes sense if they weren't conditioned for decades to think of animation as a children's medium and it's just another kind of movie.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Feenix posted:

There's apparently a shot of a newspaper that has 1962 as the date on it

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Weird maybe it is 62 but there is a lot of really anachronistic stuff in it. The motorcycle, etc.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Feenix posted:

Weird maybe it is 62 but there is a lot of really anachronistic stuff in it. The motorcycle, etc.

Johnny Quest on the tv...

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's a made up time guys

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

howe_sam posted:

Apparently there's a blink and you'll miss it cameo of Quest Labs in the background.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Maybe it’s 3062?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Incredibles 3 reveals that the first two actually take place in a Truman Show that’s perennially set in the 60’s, and all of the Supes now have to deal with the culture shock of suddenly being thrust into the modern day world when they inadvertently pretty much forced the show’s writers into a corner with the events at the end of 2.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Turns out Mr. Incredible has been hypnotized by the Screenslaver this whole time and in a dramatic twist it turns out in their actual reality the Parrs are among the very few humans that AREN'T supers :ohdear:

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

howe_sam posted:

Using real life TV shows was a weird decision. When Wall-E used live action footage it at least had a narrative function since it supports the reveal that all the blobby chair people on the space ship were once regular people who regressed over time, here it was just like a reference for the sake of a reference. At least they didn't show any actual live-action humans and kept it period appropriate, I guess.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

CheesyDog posted:

It's a made up time guys

People seem really stuck on The Incredibles taking place in our universe, which is an odd conclusion.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

excited for Incredibles 3, where mr incredible learns an important lesson through the assassination of john f kennedy and dash gets sent to fight in the vietnam war

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 10, 2018

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Erotic Wakes posted:

Using real life TV shows was a weird decision. When Wall-E used live action footage it at least had a narrative function since it supports the reveal that all the blobby chair people on the space ship were once regular people who regressed over time, here it was just like a reference for the sake of a reference. At least they didn't show any actual live-action humans and kept it period appropriate, I guess.

On that note, anybody know if that was a real episode of the Outer Limits? It's amusing to think they went and recreated an actual scene in CGI.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

QuoProQuid posted:

excited for Incredibles 3, where mr incredible learns an important lesson through the assassination of john f kennedy and dash gets sent to fight in the vietnam war

Frozone is arrested for assassinating JFK and Dash uses his super speed to rescue him from the water-less prison under the Pentagon.

MR INCREDIBLE: How, how could you kill the president like that?

FROZONE: I wasn't trying to kill him Bob, I was trying to save him! He was a super too!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
But the bullet was made of ice so it would melt and destroy the evidence! And it moved mid-flight! Admit it was you!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

People seem really stuck on The Incredibles taking place in our universe, which is an odd conclusion.

The passing similarity to Watchmen is enough that it's kind of inevitable the alternate-universe questions come up a bit.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Erotic Wakes posted:

I think the weirdest thing is that the "jack jack loves tv and if you turn your back for a second he'll watch tv!" plot never ever interacts with the "the main antagonist literally has tv based powers" even a little.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think the weirdest thing is that the "jack jack loves tv and if you turn your back for a second he'll watch tv!" plot never ever interacts with the "the main antagonist literally has tv based powers" even a little.

I have to believe act three must have been radically re-written pretty late in the the game, there are way too many elements set up that end up irrelevant or unresolved for it not to be the case.

Another example is the body cams- the movie takes the time to establish them and explain their importance (in terms of regaining the public's trust), and the only payoff is that they incidentally of help Helen figure out Screenslaver's identity. Do you really introduce such a politically fraught topic for such a minor narrative convenience?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 11, 2018

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Finally got around to watching this and I liked it. I last saw Incredibles 1, uh, a while ago and that being said

Elastigirl's lisp drove me insane. Is that how the VA speaks IRL?

I didnt really catch any Randroid vibes from the film. Papa Incredible nor the corporate guy who's name I already forgot didnt strike me as the FYGM type

There was a crying baby throughout most of the film and I legit had no idea if it was a real baby or background Jack-Jack noises

The ending scene of the opening short was what made the entire thing click for me, though I had an idea where it was going. I think its something most people could relate to, not just Asians.

Cant wait for Incredibles 3 where Jack-Jack fully realizes his eldritch horror capabilities

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Elastigirl's lisp drove me insane. Is that how the VA speaks IRL?

You mean Oscar winner Holly Hunter? Yeah that's her voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E2g0LBoPs0

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jose Oquendo posted:

You mean Oscar winner Holly Hunter? Yeah that's her voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E2g0LBoPs0

The more you know

According to Wikipedia, the only films of hers I ever saw were Incredibles and O' Brother, both a million years ago.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Holly Hunter's voice is wonderful.

Everyone needs to see Raising Arizona.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Holly Hunter, Frances McDormand, Sam Raimi, and the Coen Brothers all lived together at some point in the late 70s or early 80s. To be a fly on that wall...

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 16, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know she always had a bit of a wispy lisp but it really stuck out as “super old person”.

Which, you know, is fine. I’m no ageist. It really just didn’t line up with the character’s visuals for me.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I actually thought Craig T. Nelson was the one who sounded way too old (he's looking great though).

General Dog fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 16, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
He does and he doesn’t. Somehow his voice still passes the test visually. IMO.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

This was a movie that happened. It's a little randian I guess? Bao was super good tho. are any of these takes hot

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I thought this was a great movie. The first is fantastic and this one improved on it in every way.. Elastigirl is a wonderful hero, and having her front and center was the exact right move. I spent most of the movie looking at her butt. Truly terrible I know, but also she kicked rear end and was front and center, and not just a mom. Great movie! When the kids answered the door and the brainwashed heroes answered, my audience *gasped*. Literally *gasped*. That tells you all you need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Were the theater workers annoyed with your popcorn flying all over the place?

• Locked thread