Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Were the theater workers annoyed with your popcorn flying all over the place?

I didn't buy any pop corn. Are you insane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think the weirdest thing is that the "jack jack loves tv and if you turn your back for a second he'll watch tv!" plot never ever interacts with the "the main antagonist literally has tv based powers" even a little.

If I remember correctly, the movie cuts directly from Screenslaver mind control to Jack Jack watching violence on TV and deciding that the raccoon was a villain to fight.

That and police body cameras being pro-cop propaganda were probably the two most interesting things to me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think I liked this.

I guess none of the characters really learned anything or developed? Bob got a bit better at being a dad I guess... But he's been a dad for like 17 years already.

Helen learned that she's entitled to the sweat of her brow, but she learned that in the first one. :shrug:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Helen learned she can let go of the reins sometimes and trust Bob.

Bob learned he doesn't have to be in the spotlight to know he's mahjong a difference.

Violet learned to accept that she can't just choose 'not' to be a superhero.

Dash learned New Math and to eat his vegetables.

Jack Jack learned to beat up raccoons.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Panfilo posted:

Helen learned she can let go of the reins sometimes and trust Bob.

Bob learned he doesn't have to be in the spotlight to know he's mahjong a difference.

Violet learned to accept that she can't just choose 'not' to be a superhero.

Dash learned New Math and to eat his vegetables.

Jack Jack learned to beat up raccoons.

Eh I guess. I think the way the movie wrapped up left a sour taste in my mouth. It almost seems like a dream how fast everything is resolved, how easily the public perception changes. The way it was presented I was expecting some kind of hard cut back to reality with the day being saved but the state doubling down on the (correct) measures against superheroes.

I guess everyone just got what they wanted and their ideologies were vindicated though.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Eh I guess. I think the way the movie wrapped up left a sour taste in my mouth. It almost seems like a dream how fast everything is resolved, how easily the public perception changes. The way it was presented I was expecting some kind of hard cut back to reality with the day being saved but the state doubling down on the (correct) measures against superheroes.

I guess everyone just got what they wanted and their ideologies were vindicated though.

I thought it might've been a neater conclusion if the ending led to a decriminalisation/limited tolerance of supers, as they saved the day but the public did see them say they'd turned evil/self-serving on live news so there are still dangers to having them, but I guess that's what was already the case in the movie; the US state wasn't cracking down on Elastigirl when she wasn't causing problems, although maybe that's just because they'd cut the Superhero Relocation Program.

A few things seemed rushed, like the ending and Evelyn. She wasn't as fleshed out as Syndrome but that's probably because they only reveal her as the true villain near the end of the second act. They didn't spend much time to elaborate on her after she's revealed. Her motivation seemed to mainly be to make her brother grow-up and make normal people be more self-sufficient, which pairs nicely with her hypnotism tech as a theme, but I never really got why the nature of her father's death made her hold those views. Also the line about her 'probably getting off the hook because she's rich' felt a bit weird and stuck out to me; bad guys come in & out of jail all the time in superhero stories anyway (and the setting is clearly every pre-edgy/90s superhero setting at once) and you'd think maybe her brother (another billionaire & PR expert) might have something to say to Violet about that, like 'I'll make sure she doesn't get off easily' or 'I'll get her the help she needs' or something. Also, doesn't seem Randian at all to me. I do enjoy how both films start off as family dramas mixed with superheroics and then become a mix of family drama, James Bond-esque spy movie, and superheroics. It's an entertaining mix that works well, I'm surprised more people don't try to ape it.

Anyway, it was a good film and I had fun watching it. :) Really enjoyed the cheesy theme songs in the credits, they were a great bit.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I think that a lot of the impetuous for this film was setting things up for an Incredibles TV series, probably on Disney’s streaming service that they’re cooking up. I always felt that the first Incredibles seemed like it could be an elaborate pilot for a TV show, and this really seemed to be dotting the ies and crossing the tees on the plot to make that happen. Now there are a lot more Supers about, the plot device stopping widespread super action has ended, the world is expanded, and there’s more of a focus on low-stakes family stories. All elements that lend themselves to a continuing narrative. The Incredibles’ simple and low-detail visual style makes it easier to adapt to a TV budget as well.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Jack Jack still responding to Mozart cracked me up. All in all a good movie, could have been edited slightly better as some things felt rushed.

Anyone else catch some of the shots that were blatantly put in to showcase their animation skills ? The first movie made a big point of showing flowing hair and fabrics, this one had Elastigirl walking in front of a prism briefly in the Screenslavers' hideout and one of the characters (Violet?) blowdrying her hair.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

u brexit ukip it posted:

Anyone else catch some of the shots that were blatantly put in to showcase their animation skills ?

Towards the beginning when Bob & Helen are talking in front of the motel swimming pool that's illuminated from lights inside the pool.

Jack-Jack's powers were definitely a fun way to screw with physics and light sources, along with varying methods of refraction.

Reflux's superpower being its own unique fluid effect and a light source itself. Showing how they went above & beyond just rendering water.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Pixar films have been fun tech demos for years now. Monsters Inc was showing off fur, Nemo was water, Incredibles 1 was creating humans and fabric, Monsters U was some new lighting tech, etc.

In the Toy Story 3 commentary they talked about how they had to invent some new tech for trash bags, of all things.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Chieves posted:

Pixar films have been fun tech demos for years now. Monsters Inc was showing off fur, Nemo was water, Incredibles 1 was creating humans and fabric, Monsters U was some new lighting tech, etc.

In the Toy Story 3 commentary they talked about how they had to invent some new tech for trash bags, of all things.

The shot where Violet is blow-drying her hair seems like some kind of animator in-joke.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Saw this about a week ago. I'm surprised no one here brought up the effect that the had to include an a epilepsy warning about.

I don't know how that made it into the final version of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

u brexit ukip it posted:

Anyone else catch some of the shots that were blatantly put in to showcase their animation skills ? The first movie made a big point of showing flowing hair and fabrics, this one had Elastigirl walking in front of a prism briefly in the Screenslavers' hideout and one of the characters (Violet?) blowdrying her hair.

Yep.

• Locked thread