Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Cubs gonna Cub.

Oh well. At least we lucked into a championship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Niwrad posted:

This isn't true. Regional sports networks still print money most of the time. Cord cutters have cut into profits a bit, but it's still highly profitable. Plus some of the new digital options are staving off the loss of subscribers.

The Red Sox are doing well with NESN. The Yankees did amazing with YES. And the Cubs should not have a problem getting on the basic cable package considering the high demand for the product. I believe they're still the bellcow of NBC Sports Chicago in terms of ratings.

They won't be making Dodgers money (which was a terrible deal), but they should make considerably more from the stuff I've read. And they immediately create an asset worth a billion dollars overnight (YES is valued at like $4 billion).

There's also the fact that the Ricketts own basically all of Wrigleyville now, and unlike the TV deal, the hotel, bars, restaurants, and other venues in the neighborhood aren't subject to revenue sharing. The Ricketts are always going to have enough money to spend on the team, and I think they've learned that when you spend money and put a winning team on the field, it generates way more money than if you scrimp and save on players.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

It’s too bad we seem to then waste said money on bad gambits, busts, and mediocrity.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

There's also the fact that the Ricketts own basically all of Wrigleyville now, and unlike the TV deal, the hotel, bars, restaurants, and other venues in the neighborhood aren't subject to revenue sharing. The Ricketts are always going to have enough money to spend on the team, and I think they've learned that when you spend money and put a winning team on the field, it generates way more money than if you scrimp and save on players.

God drat I hate that hotel they put up across from the cubby bear. Really fits in the neighborhood well.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

That hotel is going to fit in with what essentially is the new Wrigleyville. I normally come to Wrigley from the north, but Monday I came up Clark from the south, and I hadn't realized how much is changed. Cubby Bear is going to be the odd man out in a couple years once all the new construction is done. North of Waveland hasn't changed, but south of Waveland and just past Addison is like 75% new.

There are way more parking garages around the park now too, but some of those were just replacing things like the McDonalds parking lot.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Your Taint posted:

Cubs gonna Cub.

Oh well. At least we lucked into a championship.

Maybe it'll be easier/cheaper to get tickets next year. Wife and I are determined to have a Chicago trip next summer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Crossposted from N/V:

MLB has additional credible information backing up the abuse allegations against Russell and has talked to Melisa. It's an Athletic article so I don't want to dump too much of it, but:

quote:

The league’s investigation includes interviews with Reidy and numerous other witnesses, and with officials gathering additional information since Russell went on leave, sources said.

While Russell’s camp is pushing back behind the scenes, creating the potential for the matter to turn uglier, sources indicated the player, his agent Scott Boras, and the union will not exercise their right to challenge baseball’s decision through an emergency hearing.

[The] investigation is ongoing. But at the moment, all signs point to a suspension.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Maybe it'll be easier/cheaper to get tickets next year. Wife and I are determined to have a Chicago trip next summer.

Hahahahahaha good one.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This could all just be sample size but it's still remarkable nonetheless.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-silliest-thing-about-kyle-schwarber/

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

we've found the one situation when kyle turns down a steak

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/INGuardsman/status/1044967498926428160

Lmao

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I saw that article. It's clearly sample size, but Baez and Russell show up on that list too. IIRC, Bryant was one of the least clutch players last season.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DTaeKim posted:

I saw that article. It's clearly sample size, but Baez and Russell show up on that list too. IIRC, Bryant was one of the least clutch players last season.

A lot of it is luck, but Bryant clearly panics when he has two strikes on him, as I recall.

Anyway, I still fully expect that when the postseason is over, the Cubs will announce that he needs shoulder surgery or something along those lines. He's never had this weird, looping swing that he developed when he came back from getting his helmet spun, Looney Tunes-style.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Timby posted:

A lot of it is luck, but Bryant clearly panics when he has two strikes on him, as I recall.

Anyway, I still fully expect that when the postseason is over, the Cubs will announce that he needs shoulder surgery or something along those lines. He's never had this weird, looping swing that he developed when he came back from getting his helmet spun, Looney Tunes-style.

I mentioned this awhile back but it's pretty obvious he has a partially torn rotator cuff.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://sports.theonion.com/mark-prior-just-needs-to-stop-by-hospital-for-a-sec-to-1819569686

quote:

"Just a quick Teej—pop out the lig, pop in a tendon, no biggie. I'd do it myself, but I just had some ro-co [rotator-cuff surgery] last night and I can't move my arm. You can leave the car running, I'll be back in a minute tops." Prior will not be able to throw a baseball for 16 to 18 months.

this is a stone-cold classic onion article

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

I mentioned this awhile back but it's pretty obvious he has a partially torn rotator cuff.

Sure, but you're, like, the eternal pessimist, in that you want every Chicago coach / manager / executive fired about three days after they're hired. :v:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the cubs clinched a playoff berth of some sort

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

the cubs clinched a playoff berth of some sort

At the worst, if they lose out, they get WC2 and they do the play-in game, same with Milwaukee. They can still get a half-game ahead of the Brewers with a win tonight, and a full game ahead with a win tomorrow against Pittsburgh.

We may see some NL Central chaosball.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Niwrad posted:

I’m probably out of my element, but with all this technical analysis that I cant understand even the acronyms used in there....cubs win.

Seriously it reads like a bitcoin article.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the cubs got bartmanned and lived, they're going all the way baby

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Cubs are back

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's loving bullshit that Terrance Gore does not qualify for the post season and I demand Manfred make an exception.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Popete posted:

It's loving bullshit that Terrance Gore does not qualify for the post season and I demand Manfred make an exception.

Wait why wouldn't he qualify? He was added to the 40-man roster before the deadline. They DFA'd Zastryzny and Farrell to make room.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the cubs' magic number is now 4, which is the number of brewers starters who have to get gravely ill for the cubs to win the division

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

the cubs' magic number is now 4, which is the number of brewers starters who have to get gravely ill for the cubs to win the division

They literally just won a bullpen game on Monday. They will never lose a game again.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

Wait why wouldn't he qualify? He was added to the 40-man roster before the deadline. They DFA'd Zastryzny and Farrell to make room.

Oh really? I just assumed he was a September call up.

Hell yes, Terrance Gore gonna win WS MVP.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Cubs gonna win tomorrow. This weekend gonna be dumb as hell.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I’m just here to see if the cubs actually stole the eybs from the giants

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Niwrad, I posted your statement to Effectively Wild and had them take a look at it.

Effectively Wild posted:

Cubs non-pitchers had a 108 wRC+ last year. This year: 107. Their groundball rate has gone from 44.7 percent to 45.3 percent. Their strikeout rate is down from 21.1 percent to 20.8 percent, and their rate of opposite-field hits is up from 23.8 percent of batted balls to to 25.7. The homers are down, it's true, and maybe there are other tiny changes in approach, but overall there really doesn't seem to be much difference in the team's offensive production.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

DTaeKim posted:

Niwrad, I posted your statement to Effectively Wild and had them take a look at it.

LOL. I recognized it immediately and just wondered who emailed it.

Also, Schwarber is historically bad in high leverage situations. That was surprising since I knew he's being intentionally walked a lot compared to the rest of the team.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I am going to come in here with some positive Cubs thoughts to counteract all the negativity and say that the Cubs are going to win the remaining four games and win the NL.

and then get swept out of the playoffs by the Brewers.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I didn't expect it to actually make the podcast! I have sent two emails and got on two email shows. Their mailbag must be thinning out.

I suppose if the goon hivemind have more esoteric baseball baseball questions shoot them my way.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/mullyhaugh/status/1045299851897065477

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Joe has read the blog! :siren:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/670TheScore/status/1045302057840857088

Bryant's lost season continues to be depressing as hell, particularly given how unreal he looked to start the year before he got beaned in the head.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/670TheScore/status/1045302057840857088

Bryant's lost season continues to be depressing as hell, particularly given how unreal he looked to start the year before he got beaned in the head.

Head injuries are especially terrible

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I saw the headline Memo to Cubs fans: Stop the stupid for this article and thought it was going to be about the racist Cubs fan interaction in the bleachers the other day and no instead it's a rebuke on the fan getting in Rizzos way last night, lol. The Tribune is trying to Bartman this guy over something ultimately inconsequential.

WARNING: :cloud:

quote:

Dear Cubs fan sitting behind the protective screen on the first-base side of Wrigley Field — yeah, you:

Stop the stupid.

Same goes for all Cubs fans. Keep your hands to yourself when you see one of your heroes coming toward you trying to make a play.

My gawd, how could you people not know this?

My gawd, how could you Cubs fans — of all people — not know this?

I thought we were past the time when Cubs fans showed their baseball ignorance of the correct way to work and play well with others.

But no. Apparently not. As stupid as they wanna be. Still. Unbelievably. And it was right there on display Wednesday night.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DTaeKim posted:

That's interesting, thanks. But aren't those jumps still somewhat significant when you compare to the league? Even half a percentage point shifts you dramatically in relation to your competitors. For instance:

GB% - went from 10th in the league to 3rd
Oppo% - went from 27th in the league to 10th
Soft contact % - went from 19th in the league to 3rd
K% - went from 20th in the league to 11th

Now you also have to take into account that the league has shifted too. So the Cubs ground ball rate increasing 0.6% is more glaring when the league has seen it drop 1% as a whole. Same for the Oppo%, Soft contact%, and K%.

The Cubs are going in the opposite direction of the league. Now maybe this is a smart strategy to zig while everyone else is zagging. But their offense has had a dropoff year to year. And they've been one of the poorer offensive teams in the 2nd half of this season which means things aren't trending in the right direction.

I'm not saying that it's entirely the coaches fault or that they have huge control over the success of hitters. But the Cubs organization felt that making this change in a coach and philosophy would make them better. The Red Sox felt the hitting coach was important too and have spoken out about how they disliked the approach taken under Chili. So the idea that a hitting coach doesn't matter runs in contrast to what the best organizations in baseball believe.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

While it sounds nice that ball elevation and limiting soft contact is the secret sauce to a successful offense, the fact is that selecting those four statistics doesn't make or break a team offensively. You can do the digging yourself, but I found it amusing that the Rays boast an offense that is very close to the Cubs, but a higher wRC+ (105).

This is why I like wRC+, because "wRC+ is the most comprehensive rate statistic used to measure hitting performance because it takes into account the varying weights of each offensive action and then adjusts them for the park and league context in which they took place."

The Boston media has a tendency to demonize any player or coach who is on his or her way out of the organization. See Jon Lester. The reason I'm arguing against you is that blaming Chili Davis is short-sighted and makes him a scapegoat for perceived woes. In addition, one year is simply too short to assess whether or not a coach makes a difference. For example, Chili Davis spent three seasons with the Boston Red Sox from 2015 to 2017. Coincidentally, John Mallee was the hitting coach of the Chicago Cubs for the exact same amount of time. Home run spike would be the second half of 2016 and 2017. These are the breakdown of his teams.

Red Sox posted:

GB% - 47.0 (9th)/44.4 (17th)/45.3 (12th)/43.5% (15th)
Oppo% - 25.6 (14th) /24.8 (22nd)/26.2 (9th)/25.5 (11th)
Soft contact % - 19.4 (6th)/19.3 (9th)/19.0 (14th)/16.5 (29th)
K% - 18.4 (27th)/18.4 (28th)/19.3 (27th)/19.7 (28th)

wRC+ - 99 (9th)/113 (1st)/91 (24th)/110 (3rd)

Cubs posted:

GB% - 43.0 (25th)/42.5 (26th)/45.5 (10th)/46.2% (3rd)
Oppo% - 24.5 (23rd) /22.2 (29th)/23.8 (27th)/25.6 (10th)
Soft contact % - 18.1 (24th)/19.5 (6th)/18.5 (19th)/19.6 (3rd)
K% - 24.5 (1st)/21.1 (16th)/22.3 (11th)/21.8 (20th)

wRC+ - 96 (18th)/106 (4th)/101 (9th)/100 (t-9th)

It ain't the hitting coach, let me tell you. How else would you explain the Red Sox having a higher ground ball rate and worse soft contact% in 2016 and ending up with the best offense in baseball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

would be extremely cool if the garbage-rear end tigers would Do Something

• Locked thread