Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

At least the third one can be explained as Dolcinea just trying to destroy her past and the redevelopment is just a pretext. It's unclear how much she believes in the cover story but whether or not Dolcinealand is actually viable is irrelevant to the main goal

Ending spoiler: Claude's vessel manufacture being totally unnecessary for the evil plan is almost funny what with him already being surplus to requirements in Throne's story. Great value Dracula just can't catch a break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Finally finished Armored Core 6 so I can get back to working on Octo 2.

2023 really was the year of games huh

Snord
Mar 5, 2002

We hugged it out, but I was still a little angry.
I’m tempted to replay the first Octopath Traveler. I never beat the final end boss the first time I played. Worth replaying, or should I just replay 2 again?

Kale
May 14, 2010

I've recently been checking out some of the Champions of the Continent stories on youtube and it looks like the spirit of the series is still kind of there in them outside of the gacha elements, which I don't have to deal with since I'm not actively playing the game. It definitely has that similar gravitas and dramatic poise of the Switch games with the various Champions of the Continent (basically the chapters main villains and not heroic at all) all being pretty atypical of what you'd expect of JRPG villains (The Master of Power one comes closest to being what you'd typically expect in that it's this corrupt rear end in a top hat mercenary general dude), but for Octopath's more character driven personal stories make perfect sense. There all like microcosms of "the elite" that people love to hate.

Kale fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 18, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Snord posted:

I’m tempted to replay the first Octopath Traveler. I never beat the final end boss the first time I played. Worth replaying, or should I just replay 2 again?

I think it's mostly fine; you'll miss a few bits and bobs they have to make the game feel more alive and the party more interactive, the the graphics are a bit more dated, but it'd still mostly check out. And music still rocks.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Kale posted:

I've recently been checking out some of the Champions of the Continent stories on youtube and it looks like the spirit of the series is still kind of there in them outside of the gacha elements, which I don't have to deal with since I'm not actively playing the game. It definitely has that similar gravitas and dramatic poise of the Switch games with the various Champions of the Continent (basically the chapters main villains and not heroic at all) all being pretty atypical of what you'd expect of JRPG villains (The Master of Power one comes closest to being what you'd typically expect in that it's this corrupt rear end in a top hat mercenary general dude), but for Octopath's more character driven personal stories make perfect sense. There all like microcosms of people that the average "elite" that people love to hate.

I've said it before here but it bears repeating...the music in COTC goes hard. It's so good.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Kale posted:

I've recently been checking out some of the Champions of the Continent stories on youtube and it looks like the spirit of the series is still kind of there in them outside of the gacha elements, which I don't have to deal with since I'm not actively playing the game. It definitely has that similar gravitas and dramatic poise of the Switch games with the various Champions of the Continent (basically the chapters main villains and not heroic at all) all being pretty atypical of what you'd expect of JRPG villains (The Master of Power one comes closest to being what you'd typically expect in that it's this corrupt rear end in a top hat mercenary general dude), but for Octopath's more character driven personal stories make perfect sense. There all like microcosms of "the elite" that people love to hate.

CotC is really good. The stories, music, art, and gameplay are all what you'd want. The gacha element is annoying but they give you enough free stuff to be able to make a solid roster, and then you can just play it like a single player RPG. It has a ton of content.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I got into Octopath 2 a lot more than I did the first one, I'm now at the stage of having finished up Temenos and Hikari's stories. Feel a bit bad that I had to come at Hikari's final boss with my A team, Hikari plus some B-teamers wasn't cutting it in terms of breaking and doing damage fast enough.

I was worried at first about levelling everyone equally and being behind as I reached dungeons, but since I only turn on Evasive Maneuvers in low-level areas, while walking around casually to get to each of the final towns I always have an EXP augmentor, two Cait Powders as accessories; and More Rare Monsters, Life in the Shadows, Extra Experience and Hard Worker as off-skills. So I'm rolling in the XP now, everyone's at least in their mid-50s.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I'm extremely excited to play this game again from scratch when it comes out on Xbox because I am a dumb idiot with goldfish memory :unsmith: I think I'll start with Castii instead of Throne though. I never paid much attention to all the neat Apothecary stuff in 1 or 2, so it'll be fun to focus on that.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Aaand game platinum'd, thanks to a guide for the 'next chapter' sidequests and the superboss.

Overall, I liked the game, but I feel like (despite the engine's limitations) some of the speed of the line reads and so on could've been a bit punchier. Music was great.

Reading this thread for Octopath 2, odd that I haven't seen one of the big damage-dealers mentioned: the Armsmaster skill On The Hunt, gained from the Lionheart Axe, does two axe attacks for huge damage as long as you've scoped out most of the enemy weaknesses. Absolute boss-killer.

For the super-boss, I don't have the patience for puzzling that kind of thing mathed out, just followed a slightly RNG guide. Cheese the adds with spamming Dreadwings with Ochette, Lionheart Axe phase 1, give everyone BP with Castti as well as giving everyone (slowly) the Aelfric buff. Then in phase 2, Aelfric up, and do a cheese 1HP build with Temenos spamming his story EX.

There's almost no other occasion where you'd need to do such a thing, but Aelfric's really does break the action economy even more, when you start using it on multiple people and basically give everyone two BP'd up boosted turns.

Anyway, Live A Live is 30% off on PC so I went and bought that.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

bewilderment posted:

Reading this thread for Octopath 2, odd that I haven't seen one of the big damage-dealers mentioned: the Armsmaster skill On The Hunt, gained from the Lionheart Axe, does two axe attacks for huge damage as long as you've scoped out most of the enemy weaknesses. Absolute boss-killer.

It's what I uses for phase 1 of the super boss

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Is there an Octopath 2 thread that I missed? I just started playing it

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

The Zombie Guy posted:

Is there an Octopath 2 thread that I missed? I just started playing it

You're looking at it

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

FireWorksWell posted:

You're looking at it

Fair enough.

I started as Throné and have picked up Osvald and Temenos. I'm still getting adjusted to things. Question about the merchant quest with the stolen bag. How hand-holdy will the game be with quest progress? Should I start interrogating everyone in sight, or will the game let me know when it's time to hunt for clues?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

The Zombie Guy posted:

Fair enough.

I started as Throné and have picked up Osvald and Temenos. I'm still getting adjusted to things. Question about the merchant quest with the stolen bag. How hand-holdy will the game be with quest progress? Should I start interrogating everyone in sight, or will the game let me know when it's time to hunt for clues?

Yeah, thats how my starting party developed, Throne and Temenos make a great duo at night for farming. Most side quests don't get sign posted like that and are happy to let you figure it all out. You gotta rely on Intel and remembering your class actions.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The Zombie Guy posted:

Fair enough.

That quest is a special one because it appears outside your starting town and all you need to do for it is go exploring in that same zone at night to find the culrpit.

Most quests give you very little direction other than one page of writing in your journal and it's up to you to work it out (or use a guide). Once you have a full party, best practice is to go sweeping through every town for their items and quest information.

Knocking people out or taking them with you is a sometimes thing, relative to getting intel or items. This means that Ochette is probably the person you least want to bring into town exploration. Meanwhile, Osvald is great for getting items at night until Agnea is high enough to just get you the items without a fight, and in the meantime Throne should be sweeping people during the day.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

bewilderment posted:

That quest is a special one because it appears outside your starting town and all you need to do for it is go exploring in that same zone at night to find the culrpit.

Most quests give you very little direction other than one page of writing in your journal and it's up to you to work it out (or use a guide). Once you have a full party, best practice is to go sweeping through every town for their items and quest information.

Knocking people out or taking them with you is a sometimes thing, relative to getting intel or items. This means that Ochette is probably the person you least want to bring into town exploration. Meanwhile, Osvald is great for getting items at night until Agnea is high enough to just get you the items without a fight, and in the meantime Throne should be sweeping people during the day.

Osvald is always going to useful too and by extension Partitio because some important item/summons require something like level 80-90 to get if you are using the characters with the guaranteed skill. They did a good job balancing the path actions and making everyone pretty useful.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

JuniperCake posted:

Osvald is always going to useful too and by extension Partitio because some important item/summons require something like level 80-90 to get if you are using the characters with the guaranteed skill. They did a good job balancing the path actions and making everyone pretty useful.

I'd say Ochette rarely uses her path actions for me. Provoke is just worse Challenge and Befriend almost never gets used over Guide, Allure or Hire.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd say Ochette rarely uses her path actions for me. Provoke is just worse Challenge and Befriend almost never gets used over Guide, Allure or Hire.

Jerky (I'd say it counts) has a lot of uses though. Very handy way to get certain status buffs/etc. But other than that she was my least used too so that's fair.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh yeah, I think I also only ever used Bribe outside of Hikari's chapter 1 maybe once. Coerce, Scrutinize or Inquire do the job 90% of the time.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I use bribe a lot because it turns out he's my only B team night time information gatherer.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Ibblebibble posted:

I use bribe a lot because it turns out he's my only B team night time information gatherer.

Also by lategame when you're swimming in cash, Bribing might be worth it time-wise compared to the hassle of remembering to stick Elemental Barrage + Full Power on Temenos while you do your town activities.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Soidequests always give the same rewards, but there are multiple ways to finish them, and subtly different ways they resolve.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I was lucky I picked Osvald for my starting character since, yeah, both his day and night path actions are super useful. Then again I would characters a lot just to use a path action before going back and grabbing the team I was leveling up

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If you have resources to spare the ideal Path Action/town team is probably Partitio/Hikari/Castti/Osvald. Purchase/Hire/Bribe gets you through most of them, Soothe gets past any door if you have the resources, and Mug gets you any items that are only available at night if you can win the fight. The only annoyance is that there's no 'guaranteed information' option for daytime, but Inquire/Scrutinize will probably get the job done one way or another unless you're really underleveled. You'd also need to swap in Agnea or Temenos if you need an ally that's only available during the day. You could swap Osvald for Agnea I suppose if you want to chance on Entreat instead of Mug.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah, if I wanted to be 'optimal' on hitting a new town after recruiting everyone (or on a revisit to a prior town):

Throne: Steal
Castti: Enquire
Osvald: Scrutinize (for when the Enquire limit isn't hit)
Partitio: Purchase anything you couldn't steal but which you really want and that can't wait for later, but do night first

Do a daytime sweep with that and loop back to the tavern.

Then at night:

Temenos: Coerce
Agnea: Entreat
Osvald: Mug - only anyone you couldn't Entreat or Steal from
Hikari: Bribe (anyone you couldn't do any other intel activity on). Consider switching for Throne instead if your Temenos has Scholar + Full Power.

Then you can do one final run for anyone you really need to knock out, but the above two teams will cover the whole town in a day loop and then a night loop, and you'll only need to go back to the high-level and quest NPCs.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well that's assuming you have Osvald as your main character, otherwise you'd have to accommodate for not being able to swap out the entire party until you complete his story.

The perils of having Ochette as your main.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ApplesandOranges posted:

Well that's assuming you have Osvald as your main character, otherwise you'd have to accommodate for not being able to swap out the entire party until you complete his story.

The perils of having Ochette as your main.

Yeah, Temenos was my main so during the day the 'Partitio' in my above post was not usually there and instead it was Temenos/Castti/Osvald/Throne.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Fortunately this kind of optimization is quite unnecessary

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

GloomMouse posted:

Fortunately this kind of optimization is quite unnecessary

I will not be sated until every townsperson's secrets are laid bare and their equipment is in my pockets.

I didn't even use those two unique swords that one merchant in Wellgrove has for more than like a dungeon or two.. Why does he even have those.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ApplesandOranges posted:

In combat Ochette can break the game pretty severely. Especially if you decide to dive into high level areas and take down an enemy or two with good skills (like AOE damage or healing) since that means your level 16 Ochette now has a couple of level 40 monsters that will one-shot low-mid game enemies or heal the party for 600hp each with no bp/sp costs (and more if you use BP).

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

In combat Ochette can break the game pretty severely. Especially if you decide to dive into high level areas and take down an enemy or two with good skills (like AOE damage or healing) since that means your level 16 Ochette now has a couple of level 40 monsters that will one-shot low-mid game enemies or heal the party for 600hp each with no bp/sp costs (and more if you use BP).

Oh yeah, I'd put Hikari, Castti and Ochette in their own tier just a tiny bit above the rest. Because they have incredible utility, damage, etc just in their base kits without needing anything crazy in terms of items/subjobs/money/etc. Throne gets an honorable mention though. But with just a little bit of work Ochette can hard carry the whole game for you. Which makes up for her lackluster path actions i'd say. Also Jerky.

Every character is good though, and can break the game used in certain ways. It's just a question of how much work it takes.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
started playing this, on chapters 1s with Throne, Theramos, and Osvald

loving Osvald's story.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Picked this up during the winter sale and just got started with Castii the Apothecary. I... am already feeling a bit overwhelmed by her using consumables as a path weapon - my hording'itis is acting up. Luckily, her "ultimate" lets me throw whatever without worrying about it. I also love her thing is walking up to people and asking all about their life.

Are there any gotcha's regarding Day/Night time? The first side quest took me a moment to realize it wanted me to switch over to Night and back to Day to turn it in, which has me worried I need to keep switching between the two to not miss important content.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The only gotchas are that some NPCs only appear day/night, which does limit what you can do to them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There’s also almost nothing missable in OT2. No one-time only areas (at least, none that have anything important), any missed banter can be replayed, and side quests last forever outside of like, one case.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Depending on what you mean by "gotchas." There's nothing missable, and I think that quest is the trickiest implementation of the day/night mechanic, but it's worth scoping out towns during both days and nights.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

I think the trickiest implementation is a couple of sidequests (or maybe it was even just one sidequest?) where you have to actually *wait* for the time of day to change, because a character/event will only show up at dawn or dusk. In any case, I confirm that there's nothing permanently missable in the game, so even if you miss something initially, you can get it later.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Ah, that helps a lot! Thanks! I'll also keep in mind to scoop out the towns during both cycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

ApplesandOranges posted:

There’s also almost nothing missable in OT2. No one-time only areas (at least, none that have anything important), any missed banter can be replayed, and side quests last forever outside of like, one case.

How do you replay banter with 3 or more party members, actually?