Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

I hope the gimmick for Octopath Traveler 3 is that there’s actually 16 characters since “traveler” is also 8 letters.

Every character has a grand epic of a tale that is constantly intertwined with everyone else’s right from the start instead of at the end

Ergo, you have to recruit everyone before you can even start chapter 2’s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

(OT2) So I'm around 25 hours in, picked Agnea for my first character, highest level char is 45, lowest is 28. I'm up to chapters 3/4 on most of the character stories, this all sound about average? I never played the first game and kind of rushed through the early game without paying enough attention so it feels like I'm going slow, idk.

The sub-jobs I've unlocked are warrior, scholar, hunter, dancer, and merchant, which are the base jobs iirc. Three of my characters don't have a subjob and they feel weaker. Do people normally swap subjobs around based on who's in the current main party? Also I think I read there's hidden unique subjobs you can unlock as well, are they any stronger than the base jobs?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Slider posted:

(OT2) So I'm around 25 hours in, picked Agnea for my first character, highest level char is 45, lowest is 28. I'm up to chapters 3/4 on most of the character stories, this all sound about average? I never played the first game and kind of rushed through the early game without paying enough attention so it feels like I'm going slow, idk.

The sub-jobs I've unlocked are warrior, scholar, hunter, dancer, and merchant, which are the base jobs iirc. Three of my characters don't have a subjob and they feel weaker. Do people normally swap subjobs around based on who's in the current main party? Also I think I read there's hidden unique subjobs you can unlock as well, are they any stronger than the base jobs?

You're doing a better job than me at balancing the team levels. I had characters still sub level 20 at that point and I still got through everything without too much trouble. I swapped subjobs all the time. I found leghold trap so useful that I always had one hunter who would change depending on my lineup at the time, for example. You seem to get enough skill points that you can get several skills for a few different jobs and still fully commit to mastering one subjob for each character.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I should probably use Leghold Trap more, I kept forgetting to because I wanted Ochette pumping out dps every turn.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I hardly used Ochette. I just gave hunter to whoever was buffing or supporting. It's hugely useful, especially in the endgame when it generally is the difference in whether you can break a boss before their next attack or not.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ochette was my main DPS in my A team, Dancer Throne got the buffer/debuffer role for me so no space for Leghold there. Maybe I can run like, Hunter Osvald or something? lol

Sadly I couldn't finish the game before Armored Core 6 came out, why are there so many good games this year???

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I generally had Hikari and Osvald dealing damage, Temenos healing, and then revolved between Agnea, Castti, Throne, and sometimes Partitio for my support. Ochette pretty much only got used when for her story chapters. I don’t think I ever got a handle on how to properly utilize her.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I mostly looked for beasts with AOE skills because they usually hit above their weight class and used them for easy mob clears, at least until I unlocked Draffinens (sp). For single target damage I had her as Warrior and cracked out Brands and her latent single target nuke as fast as possible, really. Basically, get 3 BP asap, chop chop chop. Boring but it works.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Octopath Traveler 3 will have one playable character with 8 split personalities.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Octopath Traveler 3 will have one playable character with 8 split personalities.

They will be named Clive, the new universal JRPG main character name.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah Ochette is one of my better DPS chars, she has a big rear end spider summon that does high consistent damage(at least where I'm at). The last character I picked up was Osvald which I regret now since even though he's lower level than most of my party, he's worth the spot cause every piece of gear he has equipped grants bonus spell power damage.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got this game on launch day on Switch. I had finished 6/8 of the character’s stories. I started with Osvald. Just needed to beat Dolcinea for Agnea and I’d only done the first chapter for Hikari. Dolcinea was insanely unfair. Couldn’t beat the second phase no matter what I did.

I rebought it on Steam a month ago and have been playing through again. This time I started with Hikari. I’m back to 6/8 stories finished. This time I annihilated Dolcinea.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Hikari's Brand's Blade attack with the damage limiter off annihilated all of the final chapter bosses for me. The other characters helped... a little.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

Hikari's Brand's Blade attack with the damage limiter off annihilated all of the final chapter bosses for me. The other characters helped... a little.

TBF this would work on any phys Warrior like Ochette or Cassti.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

They never seemed to approach Hikari’s raw damage even with identical equipment. Though they were several levels behind due to Hikari being my starting character.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

They never seemed to approach Hikari’s raw damage even with identical equipment. Though they were several levels behind due to Hikari being my starting character.

It's likely the level difference. Castti was my protagonist and she was outdamaging Hikari for a lot of my game. Though I made her a warrior, I tended to lean on drastic measures over brand's blade. Since that easily hits for 50k or so if you just throw a couple of debuffs like armor corrosive on an enemy without any additional set up or special equipment.

If we are talking min/max though, and access to end game equipment and everything then yeah Hikari wins because of Limb. But any of those three (and throne) can easily get you through all fights single-handedly if you lean on their best skills. Same with the magic users too but they require a little more set up to do as well as the more physically oriented characters.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 24, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I actually looked up what levels I beat the final boss (not the secret boss) at, thanks to some screenshots I took of the fight.

Most people were around level 60, Ochette was 53.

Partitio was 72.

Uh so yeah, wild variance. But my A team had three Merchants so all you need is the power of bling.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

Uh so yeah, wild variance. But my A team had three Merchants so all you need is the power of bling.

Haha. I’ve never taken more than one instance of a job into a fight. I can see how having multiple characters chain hired help or negotiate turns could be a bit broken though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bugblatter posted:

Haha. I’ve never taken more than one instance of a job into a fight. I can see how having multiple characters chain hired help or negotiate turns could be a bit broken though.

In the case of Agnea it's because Merchant lets her run triple wind boosting equipment so her EX skill hits a lot harder.

In the case of Castti it's because to be honest most of her utility is in her main job anyway so she usually comes down to a physical job or Merchant for her damage turns.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I hope there's an Octopath 3 soon, and that it still has Merchant, and I can still say "oh gently caress this" and throw cash at a problem

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
If they make a three I hope they tie the stories together and really DO stop you carrying on until you recruit all 8 characters.
Also I hope they get rid of the path actions because in this one they mostly felt like pointless busywork. Something feels WRONG to me about recruiting random villagers and definitely about attacking them

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mugging people as a scholar rules though?

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Taear posted:

If they make a three I hope they tie the stories together and really DO stop you carrying on until you recruit all 8 characters.
Also I hope they get rid of the path actions because in this one they mostly felt like pointless busywork. Something feels WRONG to me about recruiting random villagers and definitely about attacking them

So rather than Octopath you want Monopath, and then you want rid of one of the other major facets of the gameplay? Other RPGs are available!

Tidying up the Path Actions I can see, but just destroying the whole system?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Taear posted:

I hope they don’t do any of this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If anything I think Octo 3 could really go in the opposite direction and make the stories far more intertwined. It's annoying that you can get 30+ hours in without uncovering any of the crossed path interludes, since they're some of the most entertaining segments of the game. I think it'd be cool to have a shorter ~40 hour experience where maybe you don't have to complete every single character's story to see the end, but the dialogue and mission structure change based on who you've already recruited and in which order.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Taear posted:

This sounds awful!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
People really moaning that they have the freedom to either recruit all 8 characters or just keep following one team of characters' stories to their conclusion, when OT2 already did everything it could to let you catch up on any possible missed content from not having those characters at the time.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Eh that part is fair, people like the characters and they want more ways for them to interact. I think team Asano is aware of that too considering OT2 did much better than the first game in that regard. So it's not that odd to want to see even more interaction in OT3.

They could probably do a lot just by increasing the amount of crossed paths in the game even if they keep everything else the same. Say if they had one set after every chapter and let there be other pairs besides just the same four. Maybe there could be a crossed path with 3 or 4 characters too. There's options without messing with the game's format too much.

Though getting rid of the path actions would be insanity. It's the game's hallmark and I enjoyed having actual things to do in towns and the various puzzles the system provides. It really rewards exploration too and they find ways to do fun storytelling here and there with it as well. Like the clockbank thing is hilarious.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 25, 2023

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Taear posted:

All of these are awful and reading your responses to this thread you clearly just don't like the game, and that's fine, but it's kind of silly to be talking about taking away a bunch of things that actually make it what it is.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think the game benefits from having the characters have stories with very different tones and themes. Going from Throne lamenting the oceans of blood she has to walk through to Agnea being upset because there's another dancer AND SHE'S MEAN, is a really weird and unique contrast that I think few games attempt and even fewer get right.

And it actually does help, you get to pick out a chapter you want to do based on the mood you might be in which is to the game's strength.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Combo posted:

All of these are awful and reading your responses to this thread you clearly just don't like the game, and that's fine, but it's kind of silly to be talking about taking away a bunch of things that actually make it what it is.

The paths all feel like "I'm in a cutscene and it's suddenly stopped so I can use my character's power on the person in front of me"
I just don't see the point of it.

They could easily make them mean more and do more, but they don't. It feels like pickpocketing in the infinity engine games - it exists but only because someone feels it should not really because it NEEDS to.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Taear posted:

The paths all feel like "I'm in a cutscene and it's suddenly stopped so I can use my character's power on the person in front of me"

They could easily make them mean more and do more, but they don't. It feels like pickpocketing in the infinity engine games - it exists but only because someone feels it should not really because it NEEDS to.

How could they make the path actions mean and do more?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

They integrate pretty well into a lot of side quests and give you a variety of ways to complete them. They provide a unique way to doll out gear progression in pace with the character progression. They make the towns more interactive than the typical JRPG village and they give a bit of backstory to the locales.

Also it’s fun to mug and beat up people. Pretty good mileage for the little gameplay mechanic.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You also get so much flavour by gathering all the info from townspeople that you would probably otherwise ignore in a standard RPG.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The dissonance of saving the world from an ancient evil while at the same time roughing up 80 year old grannies for their meager coin is one of the Octopath's finest features.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Taear posted:

Do not agree with any of this, especially the last bit... Path actions are a very intentional series of progression and quest mechanics, often with flavor to make the game's world feel more alive - Clockbank for example - and I'd argue much of it would be less interesting if is was just spelled out to you in standard cutscenes. Definitely not as flimsy as you are implying and certainly does not feel akin to pickpocketing in IE systems lmfao.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I would definitely like to see more story segments that involved the entire group since the endgame cutscenes with everyone around were some of the best parts of the game. I think the best way to do it would be to have them unlock once you beat everyone's 1st chapter, 2nd chapter and so on and just make it obvious that if you put them off they might be a bit easy.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Agreed. More cross path chapters, especially with more than 2 characters would be my biggest ask for Octopath 3. The other one would be more full party battles but I can understand why they would not want to do that often.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

buddychrist10 posted:

I would definitely like to see more story segments that involved the entire group since the endgame cutscenes with everyone around were some of the best parts of the game. I think the best way to do it would be to have them unlock once you beat everyone's 1st chapter, 2nd chapter and so on and just make it obvious that if you put them off they might be a bit easy.

Yeah even a segment during one part of Agnea's story where a random character interjects with a canned reaction (Hikari: We should help them / Throne: We should murder them) would add so much to make it feel like you're building out an actual party. Personally I know that I would take different squadmates through ME2 just to hear their mission-specific banter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Just make 'full party chapters' ala the end of 2 that go throughout the whole game. Do everyone's first chapters to unlock the first one, so on