Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Well Throne's ending sure uh happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Throne final chapter spoilers continue: Great Value Dracula is really bad but not because of the "I'm an immortal vampire, but that's not important right now" line (which is so bad it's funny) but because it's just Father route again. Except this time Throne has no emotional connection to the guy so who even cares just stab him. Also he does the emotional attack thing where she has to "kill" Perogi and Stab Dad... but also Mother that she was totes fine with killing the first time and is surely fine with doing it again. Like as a mechanic I guess you have to have all three but given the rest it was like even in-battle the guy has no real connection so he's just throwing things out there hoping for a hit

Only Hikari route left and game is still really good

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Throne ch 4 spoiler: Claude shouted, “What is a man?” And then threw the baby at the floor, shattering it.

lmao this is the answer

EDIT: endgame spoiler: When Ori offed herself I was legit shocked, like oh poo poo they actually did it. But nope, they chickened out. This whole elaborate plan of life sacrifices to put out the flames is apparently unnecessary. The all consuming chaos of Vide is fine with just putting in a good effort, no need to actually die or anything. Vide not needing a vessel either also makes Claude stuff even dumber, although I guess it explains why he decided to play Dracula. Gotta do something with all that time.

All in all a great game that improved on everything in 1 (except the obnoxious encounter rate) even if it's still a little shaky on party interactions and tying everything together. Can't wait for whatever they make next

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 18, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

At least Ochette (or Hikari) + Full Power from Merchant means you can turn 1 sweep w/ latent power just about every encounter for free. Doesn't really stop it from being annoying af

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Partitio can do it too with Full Power and Thief subjob. Plus you get to hear 'yeehaw! Let's do it!'.
Ochette says Awoooo at the victory screen!

I grabbed Hikari last just because I heard he was a beast, but the hp totals in general are so small that many people can delete things with no trouble. Which I want to say is bad but also good? HP sponge bosses are soooo boring I'm on the fence. I feel like I should have to set up for maximum bullshit at least twice to win, rather than once and it wasn't even fully set up

Next game I hope we can at least see what the monster skills do at the capture screen. Since they basically never got a turn it was a pita to check by provoking in the next fight just check. I guess could've looked it up

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 19, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah I think that feels right, final bosses should have some staying power no matter what you throw at them. Definitely liked how all throughout the game they were able to do real numbers at me. Some of the half set up attacks I did were because I broke them earlier than planned to stop their bullshit rather than just eat it and heal after

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Temenos going into Detective Vision mode might be my favorite character thing. Him mentally bonking people in the head until they tell him stuff is also great

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

Switching to Japanese voices because Partitio’s accent is not something I can put up with for the whole game.

I’ve got 7 of 8 party members and I’m having a lot of fun just running around meeting them, even if “Oh cool you’re on an adventure too? Let’s hang out!” Is falling kind of flat for me. I hope I can add second jobs because I always loved having a dancer mage in the first game.

The good news is that JP Ochette is just as great, and imo JP Tenemos is better.

Hopefully they continue to improve on the formula and we get some kind of unique dialogue on recruitment at the very least. I know the freeform exploration and recruitment means writing a lot of dialog could be 'wasted' effort since people won't see it, but there should be something for when you get an out-of-their-depth dancer / actual assassin / traveling jerky enthusiast joining the team

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

GAOOO is good

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah the willingness to change up the characters story was nice, even if it did mean a final boss surprised me lol

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Owl ftw.

I also like Ochette as kind of the heart of the party, incorruptible and pure, even though Agnea is probably supposed to be that. She has the unique song and all.

Ending spoiler and question: When Oboro asks the octopathers if they have even the slightest doubts or whatever, Ochette just says "No. None at all" and I felt that was 100% her. Do the others also give a flat absolutely no doubts whatsoever response or is it a little more nuanced. I feel Throne would be "eh people kinda suck but that's not enough to end the world"

EN Castti saying "With this axe these hands!" is top notch

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 26, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

lmao well poo poo. I complained the game needed more unique missable dialogue... and now I'm sad there's unique missable dialogue. Still I'm glad they tweaked that to fit the character. It's me, I'm the problem gamer, never happy!

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

Oops I did that thing where I was trying to level up some underleveled party members before their chapter 2 and found a couple too many Caits and now Throné is level 30 before I’ve finished all the chapter 2 stories.

Most of your power comes from gear, then various character + Job + subskill combos. Having someone 20 levels higher than everyone else won't change too much if you're still in low chapter equips

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I grabbed Conjurer last since I did Hikari last, and it certainly seemed underwhelming. The last subskill that gives a chance to refund BP spent is rad when it happens. SP Saver is also nice, but you get a lot of SP items and the drain of random encounters is a non-issue because you're using one of the minimal/zero resource sweeping methods instead. The elemental chasers only proc once per attack(?) and the damage is very eh, but they do work to make everyone into additional breakers for minimal effort. The divine skill would be good except that Castti's Eternal BP Pharmacy runs 24/7 and doesn't close for holidays. If you know status effects are going to be in play then putting the resist on and spreading it could be a thing, I guess?

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Given the HP of most bosses I usually didn't bother buffing and debuffing, but it's pretty trivial to stick phys/elem def down on a boss the whole fight and like Harrow said it's a big effect (like 25%?). As for feeling like it's "wasting" a turn, Ochette's latent debuff/break or her multi provoke to damage/break/buff/debuff all within a turn is just silly good and feels good. Castti also can do several things at once with mix

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 2, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

Good lord how much HP does a Chubby Cait have?

80 hp iirc, soulstones, a step ahead, and leghold trap are your friends

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Well I meant for the capture, otherwise just, a step ahead, boost-start, full power, and have Osvald boost+latent his final chapter skill. magic doesn't miss. Step Ahead turns are real turns for the purpose of BP generation so if you leghold the fat cat on the free turn and do w/e with osvald, then on the start of next turn he'll have full BP to max power his final skill if you needed it a bit stronger. Osvald can Alephan's Wisdom in the Step, then next turn use his finalx3 if you need even more damage. I'm sure Hikari has some flavor of broken bullshit to do it but I used the hulking magic man

There are other ways to get the break, and the more folks you have with a step ahead the easier it is. Tenemos can make any thing a break, so Alephan's Wisdom + some spell will do 3 points, and Ochette's break+debuff latent can do the last one

EDIT: The black market also sells soulstones but i'm already guilty enough buying pomegranate leaves there lol

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 4, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I don't remember what bosses do it but just like you can put sidestep on your people to dodge a physical, there are a few bosses that put it up as well, also a thing that makes them dodge BP boosted attacks

EDIT: Decaying Temple is the one where you fight one on one with a sword guy right? he does the "dodge boosted" stance at some point. also the normal dodge x number of physicals. I came back later with Ochette when she could use her final chapter skill for better breaking, as well as just hit harder bc it was later. the hunter move that hits with the axe and gives you a buff will grant a dodge 1 physical iirc. I feel like you're "supposed" to use Hikari or just a warrior bc of the location, theme, and the warrior counter attack move but Ochette is cooler

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 4, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Quote is not edit

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

iirc the Shield of Strength' you get from the same quest makes you take guaranteed critical damage. The lady does mention both of the guys are idiots

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

If you're a real Dolcinea fan you gotta prove it

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Still a little weird that Osvald tells the crew "I gotta do a revengence" and they're like yeah that's fine

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I'm kinda partial to a Jerky-based economy.

I laughed out loud when I went to the shop and yeah you pay in jerky

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Castti's in-battle quotes really made me like her more since she went from "by the numbers healer lady" to "healer lady... with an axe" and that worked good with her story

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

OddObserver posted:

It's funny to me how much worse Temenos is at questioning people than Castti (well, OK) and... Osvald?

tbf I'd probably spill the beans most readily to the nice battlefield medic rather than the (seemingly) un-pious priest. Osvald is also scary and like 10 ft tall even before you find out he can light you on fire so

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Last boss still has some decent challenge if you don't break out the consumables imo, and there's always the optional super boss if you're still hungry. I feel like beelining you're "main" character to the finish so you can swap them out, then cycle everyone so no one gets super OP works out okay, but you're still going to feel overleveled at some point. I think it's more fun story-wise to follow each tale through rather than bouncing around though. Really interested in your take on Throne story once you finish it up

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 16, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

A nice thing is that enemies hit hard in relation to your hp pools pretty much throughout the game and it's more you having increasing options for healing or being able to sweep trash quickly. Also a lot of your strength comes from gear so you can definitely reign in the power creep by only using equips from the chapter/nearby town. Like yeah an Ochette at level cap is still going to hit harder and be tougher but giving her a rusty shiv and rags will put her pretty close to a character working through their chapter at-level

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Sleng Teng posted:

Then I discovered limb from limb and divine protection. Turns out nothing matters when you have those. Guess Hikari is support only now!

I heard Hikari was busted before I started so he was last to get picked up, last to finish, and I didn't grab his really good poo poo. He was still a beast

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Collecting all 8 to learn who they are (and thus freeing the writer to use them), then relegating 4 to the B-team if you want, seems like the best way. I think it would work fine since the characters don't really change throughout their journey. A just-out-of-prologue Ochette or Partitio is not markedly different from their End Chapter version, and they'd respond to the antics of the others the same way. Maybe have to tweak some of them, but not very much, or just write around it. If they were all going through the full hero's journey thing then yeah it'd be a huge burden but Octo doesn't do that

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I'm with you on the usually annoying cutesy children characters, but Ochette is more like a young adult dog as others said. She's got child-like innocence but otherwise is treated as a fully capable person in the world and her outsider beastman perspective is nice. The VA work is also top notch.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Been eyeing this one for a bit, but I wanna ask- do you have to play all the stories? I found a few of the characters kinda cringe and wanna know if I'll be forced to recruit them anyway

Look I know capitalism gets a bad rap but give Partitio a chance

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

My personal list would have Ochette's higher since it was the first one I did. Very rude when you don't have everyone geared up and just whatever monsters picked up along the way

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Toto'haha is fully of friendly beastfolk so they had to balance it with a jerk boss and save point

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Everything you liked about the first while fixing the things you didn't. Basically the perfect sequel/do-over

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I hope there's an Octopath 3 soon, and that it still has Merchant, and I can still say "oh gently caress this" and throw cash at a problem

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

unattended spaghetti posted:

Only Ochette left on team Toot. Just some random assorted story thoughts.

Throne:
What the gently caress? That lived up to the reputation y’all gave it. But, well, I don’t think it’s winning any awards for plot construction, other than the fact that it’s a profoundly gross left turn that makes some kind of sense.

I think the general response to Throne Ch. 4 is wait, what? what??? and while Lost Seed is a cool weird place, it feels like it and the uh "plot" are from a different (or earlier version) script just slapped onto the end of Throne's story. The overarching story once you've done the 8 doesn't do anything to change that sentiment for me. Throne is also weird in that it gives you the choice to do Mother or Father first, but unless Mother second is totally changed I can't see it working nearly as well as Father second does. It's not like Ochette where the order doesn't matter, so idk why they even had it as a choice.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

At least the third one can be explained as Dolcinea just trying to destroy her past and the redevelopment is just a pretext. It's unclear how much she believes in the cover story but whether or not Dolcinealand is actually viable is irrelevant to the main goal

Ending spoiler: Claude's vessel manufacture being totally unnecessary for the evil plan is almost funny what with him already being surplus to requirements in Throne's story. Great value Dracula just can't catch a break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Fortunately this kind of optimization is quite unnecessary