Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I got into Octopath 2 a lot more than I did the first one, I'm now at the stage of having finished up Temenos and Hikari's stories. Feel a bit bad that I had to come at Hikari's final boss with my A team, Hikari plus some B-teamers wasn't cutting it in terms of breaking and doing damage fast enough.

I was worried at first about levelling everyone equally and being behind as I reached dungeons, but since I only turn on Evasive Maneuvers in low-level areas, while walking around casually to get to each of the final towns I always have an EXP augmentor, two Cait Powders as accessories; and More Rare Monsters, Life in the Shadows, Extra Experience and Hard Worker as off-skills. So I'm rolling in the XP now, everyone's at least in their mid-50s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Aaand game platinum'd, thanks to a guide for the 'next chapter' sidequests and the superboss.

Overall, I liked the game, but I feel like (despite the engine's limitations) some of the speed of the line reads and so on could've been a bit punchier. Music was great.

Reading this thread for Octopath 2, odd that I haven't seen one of the big damage-dealers mentioned: the Armsmaster skill On The Hunt, gained from the Lionheart Axe, does two axe attacks for huge damage as long as you've scoped out most of the enemy weaknesses. Absolute boss-killer.

For the super-boss, I don't have the patience for puzzling that kind of thing mathed out, just followed a slightly RNG guide. Cheese the adds with spamming Dreadwings with Ochette, Lionheart Axe phase 1, give everyone BP with Castti as well as giving everyone (slowly) the Aelfric buff. Then in phase 2, Aelfric up, and do a cheese 1HP build with Temenos spamming his story EX.

There's almost no other occasion where you'd need to do such a thing, but Aelfric's really does break the action economy even more, when you start using it on multiple people and basically give everyone two BP'd up boosted turns.

Anyway, Live A Live is 30% off on PC so I went and bought that.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The Zombie Guy posted:

Fair enough.

I started as Throné and have picked up Osvald and Temenos. I'm still getting adjusted to things. Question about the merchant quest with the stolen bag. How hand-holdy will the game be with quest progress? Should I start interrogating everyone in sight, or will the game let me know when it's time to hunt for clues?

That quest is a special one because it appears outside your starting town and all you need to do for it is go exploring in that same zone at night to find the culrpit.

Most quests give you very little direction other than one page of writing in your journal and it's up to you to work it out (or use a guide). Once you have a full party, best practice is to go sweeping through every town for their items and quest information.

Knocking people out or taking them with you is a sometimes thing, relative to getting intel or items. This means that Ochette is probably the person you least want to bring into town exploration. Meanwhile, Osvald is great for getting items at night until Agnea is high enough to just get you the items without a fight, and in the meantime Throne should be sweeping people during the day.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Ibblebibble posted:

I use bribe a lot because it turns out he's my only B team night time information gatherer.

Also by lategame when you're swimming in cash, Bribing might be worth it time-wise compared to the hassle of remembering to stick Elemental Barrage + Full Power on Temenos while you do your town activities.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah, if I wanted to be 'optimal' on hitting a new town after recruiting everyone (or on a revisit to a prior town):

Throne: Steal
Castti: Enquire
Osvald: Scrutinize (for when the Enquire limit isn't hit)
Partitio: Purchase anything you couldn't steal but which you really want and that can't wait for later, but do night first

Do a daytime sweep with that and loop back to the tavern.

Then at night:

Temenos: Coerce
Agnea: Entreat
Osvald: Mug - only anyone you couldn't Entreat or Steal from
Hikari: Bribe (anyone you couldn't do any other intel activity on). Consider switching for Throne instead if your Temenos has Scholar + Full Power.

Then you can do one final run for anyone you really need to knock out, but the above two teams will cover the whole town in a day loop and then a night loop, and you'll only need to go back to the high-level and quest NPCs.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ApplesandOranges posted:

Well that's assuming you have Osvald as your main character, otherwise you'd have to accommodate for not being able to swap out the entire party until you complete his story.

The perils of having Ochette as your main.

Yeah, Temenos was my main so during the day the 'Partitio' in my above post was not usually there and instead it was Temenos/Castti/Osvald/Throne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

GloomMouse posted:

Fortunately this kind of optimization is quite unnecessary

I will not be sated until every townsperson's secrets are laid bare and their equipment is in my pockets.

I didn't even use those two unique swords that one merchant in Wellgrove has for more than like a dungeon or two.. Why does he even have those.