Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
welp I ended up going team TACO (Throné, Agnea, Castti, Osvald), and they're all of them mad overpowered. Throné and Agnea's EX skills together trivialize most random encounters, concoct is mad broken, and Osvald just does stupid damage and also can analyze. I'm assuming the POTH backup crew gets equally stupid with enough investment but I don't mind either way.

I've enjoyed all their grim tragic tales far better than Octopath 1, but I gotta give first place to Agnea of the stories I've seen so far; having a final boss that is explicitly just a dance-off even if it's mechanically treated as an RPG battle is a brilliantly simple idea, and doubly so that Agnea fuckin wrote her own final boss theme, because she was the actual boss in that encounter. A+, you precious cinnamon roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Do I need the boat to get to the third city in the Brightlands?

Kinda mechanics spoiler: it is locked behind a character's story progress; more specifically it is where Throné's final chapter takes place.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean Castti can do that without needing the inventor skill and also gives everyone 4 free BP plus she can give BP every turn so long as your supply of leaves/latent power lasts.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Those are in the journal, if you go to the sidequest menu and enter the "all" tab.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Funny, I started with Throné and felt that the game didn't have enough dead mothers.

Thankfully, she agreed.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
lmao I just got to the second Castti/Ochette chapter and man the tonal shift between crossed paths chapters is somehow even madder than the main story

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you've got a couple of the rare chloroform herb, Castti can hook you right up.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It is also my standard Octopath approach to beeline the endgame cities in order to attain the fanciest gear and whatever available goodies, like maybe an advanced class license, can be found there.

This absolutely breaks the difficulty curve because I also refuse to ever let Néné or Aggie out of my party even when they outlevel everything else from these escapades, but hey, the game lets me do it and I think it's cool.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's by design; you're meant to do absolutely piddlin damage with your unboosted attacks against bosses with shields. The loop is surviving while you take down their shields and unloading everything you got once they're down.

E: Though I remember specifically Agnea's chapter 2 boss taking longer than I felt it should; I just chalked it up to me being underleveled.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mega64 posted:

I haven't played too far so I could be wrong, but I've gotten the impression that each character has five "chapters", with some of them being split options and thus having multiple Chapter 2's or 3's, and one of those chapters won't have a boss (though it may still have battles).

Well, (just descripting the chapter structures, spoilered for those who don't want to know) mostly

-Throné gets six chapters, five of which have a dungeon/boss, which makes her route the scrappiest
-Partitio gets four main chapters, and three "optional" sub-chapters, though the ship one is not actually optional
-Everyone else gets five chapters, at least one of which will not have a boss fight and/or dungeon

game does not have a care for structure and it's cool

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also in case you haven't messed around with them, the Scholar skills to level up spells also affect Cleric skills, including Temenos' personal EX ones. I guess they don't have to be on the same character, but the caster classes synergize well with each other.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
lmao I got the ladies' 4-person tavern banter immediately before starting the final chapter, and it's still a "what kind of guys are you into," chat but it gets immediately derailed by Agnea and Ochette being too young and innocent for romance, so instead they talk about things that make their heart flutter, and Throné says "when they wag their tails as soon as they see you" because she is quite fond of dogs, to which Ochette responds "ohh, so if you start wagging your tail as soon as you see someone, you're in love with them, I get it." Then the first scene of the final chapter is the gang hanging out in pairs, and Throné walks in and says hunting is pretty cool, which makes Ochette wag her tail.

girls you have my full support :3:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It is heck of cute, but it also left me puzzled that they had Laura Post on staff and just had her voice two minor characters.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My favorite is the one in Stormhail, with the girl who is scared of something, but won't say what, and the clingy woman standing real close to the shopkeep. I figured I'd find a clue somewhere in town and left it alone, and forgot about it. Then I carried on with all the other things to do and came back to it like a month of in-game time later, and figured "hey maybe she'll talk if the clingy woman isn't there to stare her down" and gave the latter the ol' noggin-clonk. Turns out she had been holding up the store at knifepoint that whole time, whoops, sorry you had to stand there in fear for your life for weeks on end, that's on me.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
temenos is a rude boy but he's also cute so it's ok

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I assumed she was involved with the hint you get from the cleric license guy if you ask about gear, but it turns out that was referring to the StUfFeD tOy kid, so now I'm blankin again.

I've also done all the sidequests (except the superboss one, gently caress that noise), and I'm pretty sure I haven't helped her out.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Level 40, IIRC.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Combo posted:

Same actually.

There's also one where you knock a guy out to prevent him from going and gambling his money away but that didn't finish the quest either, I need to dig more into some of the side quests.

Inquire is your friend.

Or I guess Scrutinize/Bribe/Coerce if you want to be rude about it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hey now, Clockbank also has the clockwork repair guy and Catharine, both of whom are entirely upstanding folk.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Very important Throné detail (post-chapter 5): completing it unlocks a quest back in Wellgrove. Make sure you complete this quest.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also (almost) all of them are actually meaningfully commenting on the current situation or the characters involved.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That is the one to which I was specifically referring with the (almost), yes.

It speaks to the quality of the rest of them that that one sticks out so much, imo

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That one establishes Partitio as the most innocent of the travelers, very meaningful.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I got most of them with the ol' sticky fingers and dungeon nose. There were a couple items I ended up looking up.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
the horn and the coil are also really quite good but they're also the ones that are a pain in the rear end to track down

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
yeah the characters are extremely gay and it rules

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I pretty much agree on all those points and I just want to add a little thing I noticed that you may also have (Finale spoilers): If you put together the names of every characters' equivalent dark traveler (and swap Osvald and Ochette, who are listed fourth and first, respectively, in the chapter screen), their first letters spell out OCTOPATH backwards; Harvey, Trousseu, Arcanette, Petrichor, Oboro's sister, Tanzy, Claude, Oboro.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's a banter with Ochette where she sums up that exact notion in a very succinct, meat-based metaphor: "A kind hunter is always hungry," because they'll never have enough meat for themselves as long as there's anyone else who needs it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
pro-tip; whenever you get the "overwhelming danger" prompt, back off, pick up any treasures you missed, and hit up the save point one last time

if you have evasive maneuvers up you'll get a single random encounter at most between the save point and the boss chest IME, it's worth the small hassle

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Depends on your priorities, but I would recommend Hikari, for access to Ku, yes, then Throné for filling in that big blank spot on the map (and also has some decent loot, particularly the reward for the subsequent Next Chapter sidequest), and then Ochette for the less notable blank spot at the bottom of Toto'haha. After those no one springs to mind for reasons other than liking that character/plotline, though everyone gets a new EX skill after their plot concludes, so if there's a character you intend to keep in the party for a long stretch, you mght want to do them early as well.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
For my part, I just (final encounter) had an explicit A- and B-team and sent in the A-team first to do their thing, while the B-team had Temenos to break shields and a couple merchants to spam the Foreign Assassin Hired Help, which took it down the second phase pretty fast.

I managed to beat it on my first try because my A-team had a whole lot of brute force, and either the second phase is markedly easier by design to account for players who have done uneven leveling, or I just got lucky and ate up a big chunk of its second phase HP when Throné and Agnea were clowning on it at the end of the first phase.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"NO MERCY; ONLY PAIN" *brews up an invigorating grape and pomegranate mist*

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It just ups the damage, IIRC, but you can get multiple hits by just adding more elemental flowers.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also, speaking of Hired Help, (late game area) I found a group of ninjas outside of Merry Hills that agreed to be hirable after I beat their asses, are those the only unlockable hirees or are there others?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Entreat may be my favorite of the new path actions; why try to steal or buy people's poo poo, when you can just ask nicely for it? You might think people were more attached to their prized possessions, but you forget, Agnea is really cute.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, but then you're not putting Armsmaster on Agnea, whose latent power is just stupid good for that class.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's also fun how nobody seems to mind Osvald literally assaulting them to take their poo poo, regardless of whether it succeeds or fails, but they will absolutely warn people to stay away if he happens to look at them funny.

And resetting reputation isn't that big a deal unless you have to do it really early on; the price depends on the city, but I haven't seen it go above 9000 leaves.

E: also yes and yes

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
also you can buy pomegranate leaves from the jerky store (though they're all out of you! bam gottem), and serums from most high level cities, so you can always use the BP from the murder mist to whip up another murder mist when you actually need it; don't limit yourself to only doing it with latent power up

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Some of them can be a bit obtuse, but usually you'll either get a hint of where to look, or it will be somewhere nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh, don't worry.

Worrying won't make a difference.