Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I just walked into a little mountain town called Crackridge and stumbled into something of a trap.

Some weird scholar is blocking a door and because I was too lazy to get Castti, I just assaulted this guy with Ochette.

I've been wacking that guy with my Pokémon for about half an hour now and despite his rather low rating, he keeps tanking hits like a motherfucker. I had to put my Switch down and take a break.

I don't want to be spoiled on what this guy is guarding, but how many HP does he have??? Is this random scholar some kind of hidden super-boss?

If it's one of those cases where you're not supposed to fight an NPC, I'll probably just take the loss and put him to sleep later...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There’s a reason that guy is so tough. The item behind him is From the Far Reaches of Hell, hence why he is freaking the gently caress out if you talk to him or scrutinize/inquire. Especially at night! You need the book for a side quest that eventually unlocks the secret boss.

Huh, explains why his info an Casttinazing him was just something like the word doom repeated endlessly

welp I guess I'll just let him cave Ochette's head in and then come back later with some drugs and solve this the peaceful way

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There’s a reason that guy is so tough. The item behind him is From the Far Reaches of Hell, hence why he is freaking the gently caress out if you talk to him or scrutinize/inquire. Especially at night! You need the book for a side quest that eventually unlocks the secret boss.

That's kind of a coincidence, I was searching for that thing! Now I actually have two out of three quest items for that quest. (Also it turned out I was being overly dramatic: After five more minutes, the fucker suddenly dropped unconscious from Ochette's owl giving him one last peck. Kind of anticlimactic.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oops, made some progress with Ochette's story and already hit the damage cap. Now I know why goons prefer to make Ochette a Hunter/Warrior combo. Curse me and my love for fancy hats making her an inventor instead. :lol:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

Luckily JP is universal, so all that JP you save from being in Inventor can immediately be used to unlock abilities in Warrior.

Yeah, that's one of those mechanics you're suddenly very glad for. I had to reshuffle quite a bit since I haven't unlocked any additional licenses yet bug Ochette is now a cyborg. I mean Hunter/Warrior. gently caress. Wonder why I made that error.

Thróne is now the inventor and Hikari has to be a hunter, at least until I bother with unlocking more subjobs. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

HARVEEEEEEEY

Quick who am I, Batman or Osvald

Kennedy.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
And then there's the case of Hikari fighting one-on-one in an arena, until the last fight derails into a Gladiator-uprising and when Hikari continues fighting Evil Gladiator Man to prevent him from saving his employer from the Good Gladiators, he suddenly goes "I'll fight you with my friends! Cue a boss fight with the complete party.

With the obvious assumption being that the rest of the party rushes down from the stands to join Hikari, now that the fight isn't a duel anymore.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ha ha ha, a sidequest just unlocked a music box. Now every tavern in the game has the option to change the background music. This game. :allears:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ochette howling points her to being a wolf, I think.

Also no-one can convince me Ochette isn't a traveling chef in disguise. :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Barreft posted:

I love this game. I'm doing all character chapters at the same time. The music is just so good, I'm doing Partitio ch. 3 and had to come here and post his theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5vH99GqfHo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ugTDd5wLoU

Partitio with the inventor catapult has been my MVP

Huh. You know, I never considered you could play a game like Octopath II any other way. :v:

In my case, Ochette as Hunter/Warrior has turned into a powerhouse. I've been regularly hitting 15-16k damage now in boss fights. Her latent power is like a boss-ending punch.

But I've also finally made my way through Partitio's chapter 3 and, wow. I knew I was in for a great time when Partitio suggested stripping down in front of Alrond.

The chapter also had some other great stuff, like how suddenly, the game involved your completed Partitio-sidequests. Pardi impressed Grand Duke Alrond a lot with inventing the music industry. I later celebrated this event by buying new tavern music from the big new mall now open in Wellgrove.

Also great was Ochette suddenly suggesting to make a meat-only department store and starting to list some of the food items you can turn monsters into. Sorry Ochette, I'm not sure if your Meat Mall idea will catch on. :allears:

The idea of someone carrying a huge steam engine around as some sort of portable stealth shield was also not something I'd have expected.

Great chapter, 10/10 salted seafoods.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Borsche69 posted:

calm down lol. there's a show/hide details button. its X on pc/xbox, space if using keyboard, and whatever the sony equivalent of that is

it's Y on Switch, by the way

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MechaX posted:

I know everyone talks about Armsmaster Hikari but I honestly decided to give the class to Agnea and it is.. weirdly working out very well?

A lot of fights have adds involved or they change up weaknesses, so her latent skill + sixfold strike ends up being really drat useful. Plus she can take advantage of the high elemental attack from staves with her wind dancer skills. I just need to grind her a bit on Warrior to unlock break damage and she honestly might start putting out as much damage in single blows as my Hikari

Sorry Hikari, I guess you’re going to be wearing those dog ears forever

Recently I accidentally unlocked armsmaster because the city I was rushing to was, according to Oswald's story, supposed to be the graveyard of an important mage. And I of course took this to mean, "Score, that's where one of the hidden magic classes must be!"

Welp, turns out armsmaster is far too limited for my taste. For those who want to know:

Armsmaster-abilities only work if you are wearing the relics you need to unlock them in the first place. So you can really only use this class if you're willing to forego all other equipment options for them. Also Hikari looks kind of silly in this get-up.

Well, since Hikaris is part of my B-team anyway, and since he already got all the important stuff by soaking up apothecary and hunter. And merchant, because :lol: for a while at least one of my party was carrying an item to attract Caiths and that blasted my everything through the roof.

Protip: If you combine Exp+, Money+ and Cait-items/abilities on the same party, be prepared for grinding just being cancelled. :allears:

Anyway, on my latest attempt to sink all those tons of ability points I've collected, I found out Ochette's apothecary costume makes her look like a magical girl. Very cute! But after getting all the skills I've decided Warrior-Ochette is a better fit.

Since their helper abilities are so useful, I have by now taught half the party to be back-up apothecaries and I rock multiple clerics and scholars. I still have thousands and thousands of points left, even after finally buying up more merchant-licenses to spread their abilities faster. I seriously hope the two hidden magic jobs use some of those points, Ochette alone still has 15k points left!

Fake edit:

I've sunk 61+ hours into the game so far, and the only thing I could complain about is that eventually, I will have finished the game and then I'll have to wait for Octopath III. That really sucks!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think it's more than just Hikari, things like Castti's Desperate Measures or even generic job actions like Aeber's Reckoning just perform better with less set-up.

Magic can still be potent but it does require more finangling. Also doesn't help that for some reason, physical buffing is easier than magic buffing - for instance, Castti can concot physical buffs but not magical ones, so the only reliable source of targeted magical buffing is Peacock Strut.

Not exactly -Agnea as Scholar can spread all the Scholar's buffs across the party with her latent power, and Ochette can find some monsters with super-buffing powers. Though I've found the really OP monsters are 1-time use, like the story Pokémon. Something like the Revenant boosts everything on everyone, and as the Revenant can only be activated on a full boost, those buffs will stay for a good, long while. It's a real "gently caress it, this enemy is done" button.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Welp, did my first final chapter today, mostly on accident because I couldn't believe Ochette with her 3 chapter 2s would actually for real end after chapter 3. Yeah, I'm dumb sometimes.

Did you know I was always rolling my eyes at the Humans on Ochette's island going on about "we need more land for our village"? I was always screaming at the screen you don't need two villages, you basically live on top of each other already!!!!!!!!1111 so I was genuinely laughing when one demon invasion later, the loving Humans finally decided to become reasonable and both villages are now sharing land like one big village. A reasonable end to a reasonable chapter! (Also, that poor dog.)

Well, Ochette has now retired from the party at level 57 to give other leaders time to shine. I flipped a coin and Armsmaster Casti is up next! I sure hope I can actually find a second relic for her soon, or this may end up very silly. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

My only nitpick with Ochette is (full-game spoilers) she doesn't really have any personal growth during the course of her story, though that's probably more because beastlings are already pretty pure at heart due to their origins. She does decide to become the island's next protector, but that compassion for others, beast and human, has always been part of her character.

That's very minor though, Ochette owns regardless.

Ochette's story is mostly about learning not to be a lazy rear end, uninterested in everything not on her island. In the beginning, she only wants to hunt and eat. In the end, after returning home, she has realized that being the protector is actual work someone has to do, and involves more than just hunting and eating. Basically, she goes from being Ochette to being Ochette+ (this is a Might and Magic II reference)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

And Ochette can capture wind monsters.

Some of which are insane, because monster attacks can also come with debuffs and status effects.

One of my wind monsters had a wind group attack which could cause instant death. That weird bird stayed with me for a long time.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Polderjoch posted:

Finished everyone's stories except Agnea's and Partitio's (though I'm pretty sure I'm at the save point right before Partitio's boss now), some disparate thoughts;

I went through the eastern continent's stories first, and then did everyone on the western continent; with the final chapters in the order of Ochette>Throné>Temenos>Osvald>Hikari>Castti.
I noticed a little while back while thinking about some of the villains like Harvey and Trousseau that their names in the order of the travelers (with Osvald and Temenos being the first O and T) they seem to spell HTAPOTCO; OCTOPATH backwards which is incredibly cool, it's what I hoped they do in the first game and had been looking out for for a while.
Osvald - Harvey
Castti - Trousseau
Temenos - ??? No clue someone with an A but his story had nobody that started with an A
Ochette - ??? Whoever the dark hunter is probably starts with a P, I'm thinking that it's Roi from Temenos' story who got corrupted by the Darkblood Bow who decided to change his name
Partitio - ??? Also no idea but Ori starts with an O, and she keeps mentioning a brother that's curiously absent from the story, and since Ori and Roi are like one letter apart it'd be very Octopath/Bravely-tier punny name to have them be some evil sibling duo orchestrating poo poo
Agnea - ??? No idea but they start with a T, but honestly I cannot remember a single npc from her story aside from Dolcinaea and Vanessa
Throné - Claude
Hikari - Oboro, who for a long while kind of has just been a ??? nonentity, but I'm thinking he might actually be Kazan; he's the only one of Hikari's friend group we don't have a solid backstory for and Benkei apparently also changed his name when he swapped allegiance to Ku, and Oboro's journal heavily mentions some complicated plan which would be in Kazan's wheelhouse

I'm a little confused on the specifics but Trousseau has to be another one of Claude's sons right? Trousseau i believe was an orphan with his sister, he has the same hair colour as Claude, and he initially lives in Winterbloom, which, seeing as Sebastian/Father stuck around there a lot and took care of things might be another location to shunt Claude's children to. Apparently Trousseau during his second phase also gains additional weaknesses which are the exact weaknesses that Claude has, which my boyfriend noticed as I was streaming the game to him on my second attempt of fighting Trousseau, which I feel is a pretty cool clue to that if it is the case.
Assuming that Trousseau is Claude's son, it also makes sense that they're both weak to Dark from the start; if my assumption that Claude and the entirety of the Blacksnakes and his children exist to find a suitable vessel for Vide (which ends up being Throné), then them being weak to Dark to make it easier for Vide to possess them makes sense.

The part that I'm confused on is Castti's involvement in this; one of the travel banters during Throné's final chapter says that Castti had been to Lostseed before which was a whole lot of ??? but with Trousseau straight up saying that he wished that she had listened to his words that day it makes sense that the two of them came to Lostseed together, with Trousseau being drawn there due to being one of Claude's children, and since Claude has weird vampire mind control powers when Castti rejected that simply wiped her memory of the events. I'm assuming that this implies that Castti's later memory loss is also somehow a part of this? Since her memory loss afterwards doesn't seem to be very explained beyond just being another side effect of the poison rain, but it's never really stated that that is one.
I kind of wish that Castti was a bit more morally ambiguous before losing her memory honestly; it would've been cool to have fakeout double memory shenanigans and have the final chapter reveal that Castti was complicit with Trousseau, and specifically brought everyone back in time to catch their poison rain after falling for whatever the gently caress Claude told them, and that all the memories she had with Malaya are what she wished she did instead, her cognitive version of Malaya effectively being her conscious telling her what she could have done if not for Claude's mind poisoning, setting Malaya and Trousseau up as basically being the angel and devil on her shoulder, the final fight with Trousseau also rebuking that past. I know it's absolutely not what the game was going for with Castti's story but out of everyone hers really feels the most boring; she has a great first chapter and a really good last one but all of her middle chapters are so incredibly dull and predictable.

In terms of difficulty the Mahamaowl (Mahina?) was definitely the hardest one by a massive margin, followed by Trousseau whose poison rain gimmick left me incredibly hosed up; by the time I finished his fight my party had maybe ~500 max hp. I died to Claude and Kaldena once when they pull out their action-blocking/instakill gimmicks but Harvey and Mugen were absolute jokes, I didn't die to either once; though in Harvey's case it's pretty fitting that he just got absolutely chumped by Osvald. I am kind of confused as to what the hell happened to Harvey in the end since he seemed to just kind of, evaporate to somewhere, it wasn't the same animation they used to denote the shadow monsters dying so that was a bit weird.

I'm also pretty certain now that the Shadow, or the 7th source, or the one true magic or whatever is just some kind of interdimensional emotional energy, and how it manifests depending heavily on why it's drawn out and the user; Hikari basically confronting his shadow and turning it into the light is very similar to Osvald and Harvey both managing to access the One True Magic but somehow still manifesting in different ways. Since the Shadow and Vide seem to not be of this world as per the monsters appearing during Ochette's Scarlet Moon, it's possible that there's some weird imbalance caused by Dar'qest or whatever his name was ages ago that made the source and Vide be mostly shadow-oriented, being influenced by him. Since Vide and Hinoekagura are the only new gods and seem to be the sources of the two divine jobs this game I'm also thinking that they may be the same thing initially; if the 7th source is able to be both light and shadow, the dawn and the night, then if Hinoekagura split off to give the dawn to Solistia some time in the past, it makes sense that Vide is stuck only with the night, which is why everyone that attempts to manifest the source from that other dimension/Vide is only able to harness it in a way that manifests as Shadow, while Osvald who draws off his love for his daughter, and Hikari who would assumedly have both the blood of Vide through Clan Ku's lineage and Hinoekagura's through his mother is able to access both as well.

Also is it just me or does the Conjurer class seem like garbage. Overall the advanced jobs this game haven't really seemed that worth it beyond Arcanist Osvald being able to pump out 30k per turn.

I got some mileage out of inventor's "now every damage is critical damage" skill, and that dumb catapult, but I also only have one relic for arms master, and haven't found the other two super-jobs at all, so I'm basically using inventor because it's the only bonus job I actually managed to develop, :lol:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chasiubao posted:

I’m on chapter 3 of Castti’s story and poo poo’s real hosed up :smith:

Edit: Malaya what the the fuckkkkkkkkkk this is so sad

Yeah, right?

Back when I was playing Castti's story, I was for some reason totally convinced Malaya was evil, and walked into chapter 3 expecting a backstab. Instead it turns out no, Malaya was not only Castti's best friend, but also deader than disco. Castti spoke only to a delusion formed from her suppressed memories trying to get out! Kind of a surprise.

Don't read those spoilers if you haven't finished chapter 4 yet:

Castti finally got to take a well-deserved nap after saving an entire kingdom. Well done!

Also it finally dawned on me that this was the kingdom the people of Saih were fighting with. For some reason I had assumed that after Khu wrecked the place, Saih would have been taken over and that the foreign soldiers fighting the refugees must have been under the command of the Khu Kingdom. Boy, was I wrong.

Apparently Khu just absolutely destroyed Saih and then left, huh.

Trusseau was just a mother of gently caress, to quote the AVGN. I brought my level 57 Ochette with my otherwise level-apprpriate team, and this rear end in a top hat pelted us with so many status effects, he still very nearly took us down.

The fight is also on a timer: Trusseau's poison rain will constantly lower the party's max HP, making it tougher and tougher to survive if the fight drags on. Eventually, I panicked and blew a bunch of cash (two of my party had Merchant as subjobs) on max boosted highered help, to aid my two main damage dealers (Weaponmaster Castti and Hunter-Warrior Ochette) also blasting the boss with everything they got. Trusseau survived, held a villain speech and powered up for phase 2 of the fight. I then panicked a little more.

Turns out we did so much damage in that one turn, we blew through almost all of Trusseau's HP, anyway. A single axe hit from Castti brought him down. I like to imagine Castti just stove his ribs in right after he stopped talking.

Then of course defeating Mad Man Trusseau wasn't enough, she also had to do some speed-alchemizing to combine all story-relevant remedies into one super-medicine. Then she ran around healing everyone the soldiers hadn't dragged out of the poison rain in time.

Stop, Castti. Stop! You're doing too much, take some rest, for the gods sake!

And then she slept. :allears:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I do wish the late-game bosses, especially the bosses for each character's last chapter, had more HP. Wonder how hard that'd be to mod into the PC version since it's really my only issue with the gameplay. I "solved" the problem by nerfing myself intentionally so the fights would take more than three turns but it'd be nice to have the opportunity to really cut loose for more fights than just the superboss.

I'm kind of glad they aren't stronger, :lol: I'm not one of those super-players who min-max themselves to death and back, every final chapter boss so far was nail-baitingly close.

That was, after all, why I panicked when Trusseau powered up -my party was down to ca. 40% maximum HP and nearly every serious hit would have killed a party member. We were running on empty pretty much, hadn't Castti saved us all with her trusty axe. :v:

Right now I have maybe 3-4 party members that can consistently do more than 9999 damage on a consistent basis without blowing huge amounts of cash: Ochette, Hikari, Castti, and Thróne on a good day. To be fair, that's plenty and from what I observed, boss fights seem to be balanced around the fact that you can deal some pretty heavy damage, as every time I managed to pull a big set-up more than once, the boss had powered up enough to drop the total damage by massive amounts.

Like, for example Ochette would do 14k damage in the first phase of a boss fight, and then later, with the boss powered up, the exaxt same set-up would only get me around 8k or lower. Same with Hikari, first major hit in a battle: Something like 11-13k. Follow-up with the same amount of boosting and buffing, against the same boss but in a later phase: around 6k.

Those huge damage drop-offs seem to mean that if you have a powerful party, but don't immediately blast through all of a boss's HP, the resulting power-up can potentially make the last part of the battle a magnitude harder.

The devs just clearly underestimated how far players are willing to go to achieve infinite damage. :v:

Clearly, just giving bosses more HP would just make the game more tedious. It would already help a lot to program boss phases to have separate HP blocks, because then the more powerful later phases would already defuse player-shennanigans a lot.

Fake edit: Of course, that's probably harder to patch in than just giving every boss a billion more HP

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ehhhh. We aren’t really talking about any super clever tricks or going “far” for infinite damage. If you equip the very basic Do More Damage ability and wear appropriate gear then you will turn final bosses to paste.

“Throne’s ability says it does more damage the more speed she has so I stacked speed and do like 70k per Aebers” is not exactly a big brain play.

that hasn't been my experience, though

I think this thread should just accept that the competence level of the average player is a lot lower than the super-nerds posting on SA.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I mean if we are defining super competence as using the ability literally called Do More Damage and stacking the stat the game textually tells you to then…I guesssss? :shrug:

Honestly, I have no idea what that ability is, I play the game in my native language, German. The German translation used names a lot more fancier for stuff, I guess.

Could be I'm even using it sometimes, if it's a basic skill. :v:

Fake edit: Since I'm now in a rush to beat the game before the new Zelda comes out, I've been clearing up optional dungeons and sidequests. I've now been able to reach insane damage numbers on almost all characters.

The current rough tally:

Hikari: 29k
Agnea: ca. 36k (multiple hits with around 6k damage with that multi-hit Scholar ability)
Oswald: ca. 48k (same as with Agnea, but haven't managed to stack the necessary buffs again so far)
Temenos: ca. 45k (as Merchant, with max boosted hirelings)
Ochette: ca. 32k (I keep forgetting to buff her, she's like 10+ levels beyond everyone else right now)
Thróne: 16k? (I keep pushing her towards more physical damage, but man I keep forgetting to use buffs)
Castti: 13-16k (She's a Weaponsmaster now, but I used her as a Cleric for masshealing so much, she didn't get much chances for setting up super-hits.)
Partitio: around 54k (Hirelings. Why fight yourself if you can pay someone else to do your dirty work?)

Conclusion: Huh. OK, so maybe the bosses could use a little bit more HP. :v:

Funny bits from sidequests

I wanted to share some bits I found funny and interesting, while cleaning up leftover sidequests. Contains some MASSIVE SPOILERS, so please don't read this part if you haven't cleared yet the following quests:

-Sleepy Fisher with Insomnia, Tropu'Hopu
-Playwright Needs Warrior Badly, Tropu`Hopu
-Weird Clockton Stories, Clockton (not a sidequest, but spoils some weird backstories)
-Octopath II, Ace Attorney Edition, Leafland Capital

Some of the stories from the sidequests are ridiculous, I love them. Some highlights I've encountered:

-The sleepy fisher in Tropu'Hopu has multiple fake-outs for characters' "sleepy-time" path actions. I knocked him out with drugs and had Thróne nearly cave the poor guy's head in, but every time he overslept again and made his boss mad. Turns out he needed the workout of a duel with Hikari to finally get some proper sleep, now his insomnia is cured!

-In the same city is a theater, where someone desperately wants a real warrior for his next play. If Hikaris is strong enough, he can beat the playwright up and get roped into playing a bad guy swordsman in the play. Hikari then accidentally invents the Farce by getting too deep into the role. But the audience loved Hikari beating up all the good guys, so now the playwright switches to making comedic plays! :allears:

-One of the weirder backstories from the people of Clockington (or whatever the city is called in English, my version calls the town "Clockdam", probably a play on "Amsterdam") you can find by investigating these weirdos involves multiple people. There's a guy immune to poison talking to a woman who is secretly an assassin specialized on poisons. The twist: People keep hiring assassins to poison him because they're betting on how long his immunity holds out. The woman was hired to come to the city and poison someone, but now got cold feet because she realized the guy she's supposed to kill is her first love.

Now she's sweating blood and water because she can't bring herself to kill him, for no reason because she doesn't know he's immune to poison anyway. She also doesn't know that people are betting on her success. :allears:

It's easy to miss, until you realize their backstories kind of reinforce each other, and they're standing right next of each other, staring at each other, and are clearly talking with each other. When I put 2+2 together, I had to smile at this convoluted, hidden backstory. (I think there's even a third person, another assassin, in some other part of the town, who gives you more details on this poisoning bet thing.)

-In the capital of the Leaflands (the German name "Lärchtau" translates to something like "Pine Dew", the English voices mention something like "-Timber" when the name comes up, sounds very different) you can enter a long series of quests to help Justice by interfering with some running court cases.

The first case is a case of an important relic getting stolen. Your help gets the defendant an 80-year prison sentence. :lol:

The second case is another case of important relic (the kind that's not only jewels and poo poo, but has political/cultural relevance) getting stolen. The judge is mad as heck but this time, you prove the defendant's innocence.

Then the mad judge gets murdered off-screen and your NPC-buddy is now suddenly the defendant for the third case.

And now your "help" reveals a convoluted backstory right out of a crime drama:

-Our guy is guilty as gently caress, and even used the first case to cover his tracks: The sword thief was his helper for stealing a murder weapon in a way no-one would notice something. Everyone would just assume the sword thief now sitting on Oswald's prison island had stolen both swords.

-The mad judge was actually a serial killer: He travels around the world, steals incredibly important state jewelry, and then covers his tracks by sentencing some random innocents to death. Our guy's parents were the two thieves you keep hearing about when exploring the world, the ones executed for stealing those sapphires, which are the Leafland's most important crown treasure.

Oswalds hears about this on his prison island, Thróne hears about this, you encounter people talking about the execution of the two thieves and if you eventually make your way all the way here and do thsi questline, it's suddenly revealed that the thieves had been innocent all along, and it's judge serial killer here who was responsible for all of this.

The story ends with our guy getting sentenced to life on Oswald's prison island, but at least he doesn't get executed, which seems to be the normal punishment for murder on this continent. Our NPC was nice enough to make sure there's enough evidence to reveal Evil Judge's adventures, he then (lol) apologizes to his little helper for getting him his 80-year sentence.

This quest line was very fascinating and a very twisty and interesting story. Kind of a lot of effort too, especially for a story you'll never get to see if you rush through the game.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Finished Partitio's last chapter.

I love that, even if very briefly, you do actually have the 80 Billion Leaves to Purchase the Steam Engine rights with :allears:

Also I swear there's a level design bug with Roque's factory, as the enemy pool's clearly the lower-level one from his factory in Clockbank rather than updated for the Level 45 range.

That bug must have been fixed on Switch, because I could have sworn I got attacked by completely new enemies when I went to the island for a short look (dungeons you don't visit won't show up on the map, so I obsessively touch every dungeon at least once, even if I don't plan on doing them right now)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Huh, I always assumed that the "correct" solution was because the drugs/bonk are nighttime actions, so he gets some sleep, but not enough. The actual violence is the fix because you knock him out in the early afternoon and force him to get a proper 14 hours of sleep.

You know, that could be true, too. I honestly spend so much time on this quest, I didn't even notice the time changing from night to day, :lol:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Even though you can only complete the quest once per game, theTropu`Hopu playwright has different plays for each of the characters that can initiate a duel: Hikari, Osvald, Temenos, and Ochette.

Man, I wish you wouldn't have posted this, now I'll be sad the entire rest of the game that I didn't do this quest with Ochette. :(

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chasiubao posted:

I really like how you can succeed with absolutely random character mixes. I like being able to steal everything not nailed down so Throné and Agnea are staples in my party and I just mix up their secondary classes to whatever the other two randos don’t cover.

Warrior Agnea is so dumb I love her.

I eventually turned Oswald into a Warrior just because he rocks the outfit

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I'm still on my way through Octo2 on my quest to get the game done before the new Zelda hits tomorrow. It doesn't look good: 4 out of 8 main stories done, 2 out of 4 dual-stories done. But I managed to get something like 90% of all sidequests done!

Some highlights on my way to 100% completion:

-Going to a dungeon after misinterpreting something the Apothecary-guild says and getting two other important items (including a relic for the wrong class) instead.

-The optional dungeon near the western harbor of Toto'Haha has three items at the very end that do "extreme damage to all enemies". Did someone store their fantasy nukes in here???

-The second act of Hikari+Agnea was very sweet, and it made me stumble over a follow-up sidequest in Khu which dealt with Ritsu's sister. Agnea's sister is now Mikka's SOUL FRIEND. I love both how this reminded me of old 90s RPGs sterilizing same-sex relationships to "just be friends" to not make anyone upset and Hikari being an awkward third wheel the entire time. :allears:

-My first attempt at running the Khu Tower went awry at the penultimate boss: After crushing the first three bosses fairly easily, I just didn't take that war wolf seriously enough, I think. I dropped it into the red eventually, but not deep enough to prevent it to go wolf on my rear end in super-mode. Even use of my rare all-party revive couldn't get me out of the death spiral: The fucker attacked so often, the end was something absurd like three characters going from full health to death before my healer got another turn in. As my fourth member was already dead again, that was it. I guess I have to try again later! (To give some context: My party was in the range of lvl. 54-51.)

Now I'm dealing with Thróne's final story*. After that, only 3 left, plus a couple leftover optional dungeons and sidequests.

*Another dumb me-story: Only now did I notice Thróne was the last character left without Merchant/Warrior classes. Luckily, this also meant she had the skill points to rush through both skill trees at once! She now has two boost points and the damage breaker ability, like everyone else has. Despite being in my party so often as an inventor, I went through 80+ hours without really seriously spending any points on new classes for her. :shepface:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I managed to get a copy of the new Zelda, but I'm still not done with Octo2. Throné, why is your final chapter so loving interesting!? I can't stop now! :argh:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Finished Throné's final chapter plus the follow-up sidequest. Also completed several more optional bosses.

Wow. That chapter totally happened. Well, Throné Belmont, I hope your freedom was worth it.

This chapter turning into Castlevania was unexpected, but I kind of like it. When I saw Immortal Claude, I kind of thought: "So this is what would happen if a Belmont turned into a Dracula, huh?". I guess seen from that viewpoint, it's fitting that another Belmont ends up killing him.

And then we had to help prevent Mira from committing suicide. Welp, that was one hosed-up little adventure there, Throné!

On the shaman trial in Khu:

The fourth boss finally went down after I carefully aligned four characters with the ability to do 15-30k damage when fully boosted and buffed, and then hammering down so much damage I got to kill the drat thing before it could go super sonic on our asses.

The fifth boss in comparison, was kind of a lot less evil. The switch between mage/warrior forms was interesting, but most interestingly the nice lady had enough HP my OP-party could go to town on her without super-killing her in one go.

She was just strong enough to force us into a carefully planned dance of buffing/healing/breaking/attacking-phases to keep up the pressure without getting annihilated. Very fun fight!

A weird cave, only reachable by defeating Big Shark (you know the one):

This big, melting dragon thing had a really nasty gimmick. In my rush to test out the tnew shaman-class, I kind of didn't think of bringing more versatility to the table, and near the end I just kind of had to pile on the damage and hope I get this big lizard down even without being able to break his shield.

Another fun fight, and really close! This one was a bit short for an optional dungeon, but the dragon had some nice stuff and was a big, interesting boss fight, so I can't really complain.

Next up: Saving children with Oswald in; Final Fantasy: Oswald

Libluini fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 13, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chasiubao posted:

I got unpleasantly surprised by the epilogue? additional story? boss when they booted my crew for the other four. The other four who had nothing equipped at all. I was so annoyed I turned my Switch off and I haven't gone back to it since. I probably will eventually but that sucked so bad.

When people ask me, "why are you so obsessed with training and equipping all your characters, no matter the cost?", I tend to show them posts like yours.

In my own run, I'm slowly closing in on the finishing line: All 8/8 stories done, all 4/4 double-stories done, only the final boss and the super-boss remain.

Hidden boss blues 1 (solo):

I certainly did not expect von Karma to moonlight in this game. I went after him with Ochette, with mistakingly thinking he'll be a cakewalk with Ochette at lvl. 64. Turns out he's also a tricky gimmick-boss, but magical girl Ochette (apothecary) managed to finally do it! Though first I died 5 times in a row due to a misunderstanding of von Karma's Karma blade mechanics.

I also used up my last "essence of a diseased dragon" to break his final shield, as I had not thought to bring anything that could break shields, no matter what. (This killed me another two times before I remembered I had one essence left.)

fun fight, but :lol:, there's really no room for error. Waste a turn loving around, and you'll find out.

Hidden boss blues 2: Melty the Dragon

Fun fact: This one nearly managed to wipe me, but I had just enough DPS to power through when I ran out of things to break this thing's shield near the end, just downing it with raw damage.

Afterwards I felt very lucky I kept away from old Melty's hoard the first time I got here (after defeating the big shark guarding the sea entrance), or this one would have wiped me hard.

Melty's hoard was the source of the dragon essence I had to use my last one on von Karma. Luckily, with no further solo-bosses in the game, both of my parties will have at least one person capable of reducing shield points independent of weak points, just in case this gimmick gets repeated.

Edit: Did you know this boss later shows up as a random encounter in his cave! I sure as hell did not! It's like getting a Cait that bites.

Generic sidequest action, after the final chapters:

When I finally did the last story chapter (sorry Agnea), I looked up a guide to see how many sidequests where lift. Turns out every final chapter has at least one new quest attached to one or two important NPCs from their stories (Agnea's even has two, one for each) and I had missed at least half of them!

Then there were some really embarassing misses, like me not understanding that that one guy waiting around was acutally two brothers switching place each time time changes, or that I had completely forgotten the game's very first tutorial quest. Which in turn blocked me from the quest revealing the hidden super-boss. Kind of funny, really.

Another weird thing I've encountered: Just outside Merry Hills, at that weird, empty spot north of the city, there is a group of foreign assassins. They only show up during the night, and if you can manage to beat them in battle, they'll power up your Merchants' Hired Help skill with another, even more expensive option.

The "Foreign Assassins" cost a whopping 50k and do even more damage than the veterans, but they also heal the party. So, at the game's end, when you swim in money, that's very useful to have.

Right now, Thronč is the queen of battle, with 40k damage dropped on Agnea's final boss second form. The game isn't joking around with her speed-based skills, huh?

But with Hikari and Ochette being able to reach similar insane levels, and Weaponsmaster Castti also breaking at least the 30k damage mark naturally, that's at least two very strong damage-dealers per party. (I tend to group my parties into two damage dealers, one hearler, one support.)

That said, of course everxyone can easily drop ca. 36-38k damage when equipping Merchant. so it's not like anyone else is really weaker! :v:

Interestingly, my casters (Oswald and Scholar Agnea) also reached the lofty height of massive damage, it just takes buffing to make their spells multi-hit attacks. That way, I've managed to occasionally reach ranges of 30-40k total damage, on a good day, after heavily buffing and when hitting weak points. I'd probably be able to crank even more damage out of them with a certain warrior-skill, but I feel like someone at least has to be there doing support, too.

Well, except for Oswald. His final chapter unlooked a literal fantasy nuke spell and with a certain ability to half his MP-use in battle, that spell is easily able to trump even my mega-damage dealers under certain conditions. Consequently, he became my only caster who has the more-damage skill equipped.

Finally, the hidden jobs:

I vaguely mentioned Castti above, since she turned out to be the perfect choice for the Weaponsmaster hidden job, and now that I have all the relics, her versatility and damage potential is just terrifying. A literal one-woman army and with her natural healing ability, she's easily a good choice for the solo-boss, too.

Inventor wandered around a bit, but I finally settled on Throné. Obscene damage and versatility? Yes, please!
Especially the Inventor-ability to reload all your latent powers up to full again is worth the job's weight in gold. And coincidentally, after making two parties for the end game, one of the parties ended up slightly stronger than the other, and the weaker one having the power to immediately get all their latent power back is a nice equalizer.

Shaman also had some wandering to do, especially to collect some useful abilities from the job, but at the end it landed on Oswald, simply so he can to some better party-buffing, since he lacks Agnea's latent power to extend his buffs to the entire party. The Shaman-skills are all party-wide, so that fixes that hole.

Arcanist was another job I at first only used to extract some nice abilities from, but it ended up for good on Temenos, since that's the only party member I had left without a wide variety of attack skills. Now he has some more damage capabilities, and some rather unfair special abilities on top of not being forced to be my "back-up merchant".

The hidden jobs all started out in this weird spot where I couldn't really decide what to do with them, but all of them have some nice equipable abilities, so it was still worth it to keep them around. And now, near the end, every hidden job has found its role!

And now, one final push and the game is finished!

Libluini fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 16, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Yep, that's the part I was saying you'd need all eight characters for.

If it's any consolation, the part where you need to use your "B" team is much shorter, and the fight gets really cool after that, so it's worth seeing through.

Ironically, I managed to get past that spot, but the phase after that just butchered me. Having to juggle between all eight characters but with still just four commands per turn added enough confusion already, but the additional lock on revives meant the fight spiraled out of control immediately after a lucky hit downed one of the team.

I'm now a bit torn on whether to try again, or to pause for a while to finally start playing Zelda. I don't like leaving a great game unfinished, but I'm also slowly burning out.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

The thing that makes the second half of the fight a lot easier is that anything that effects your whole party affects your whole party. You could use Sealticge on Hikari and have him use a fully-boosted Divine Protection to make all eight characters invulnerable for a while. You can Sealticge Castti's Remedy and turbo-buff all eight characters, then let the people whose items now affect all allies heal the whole party with jams. Inventor Agnea can full-team Arkhar's Coil to completely revive, refill SP, and max out BP for everyone.

If you make full use of that you'll sail through the fight in no time.

yeah, that's not entirely correct

Yes, I did notice all eight being affected, but in that phase reviving is locked, so mass revives are straight out

If I could revive someone, the fight would go over a lot easier

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, I did post several times before that I'm not exactly a good player :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:lol: I shouldn't have complained so much. A good night's sleep and the final boss is down, on my second attempt.

I leave the super secret double mega boss for later, as it's basically just the final boss, but harder. Time for Zelda!

MVP goes to Partitio, Cleric/Merchant of Party B. His foreign assassins hauled my rear end out of the fire twice, both times by dropping shitloads of damage while healing my party out of the trouble zone.

Secondary MVP goes to Castti, second in DPS dropped on the boss and thanks to the boss constantly punching her so often her latent power was almost always full, also supplying the entire party (of 8 in phase two, :lol: ) with boost points. Shield points go down fast if everyone can just hit a weakness 4x times in a row!

Since this time, I knew what was coming, I used the short reprieve after ending Phase B-1 to revive all my dead party members before Phase B-2 entered the room and Vide just declared "no revives for you" (and despite an earlier poster claiming this, breaking Vide again did not make this seal stop. It's just that at this point, you've burned through at least 75% of Vide's HP, so it's simply an endurance race after that point.)

At one point Agnea suddenly died to all of the final boss attacks landing on her, all at once, but I had given her the cleric-ability to auto-revive one time per battle, and it triggered. As I needed her a couple times afterwards for some emergency item drops and elemental shield breaking, I'm fairly sure this one death could have unraveled my entire second attempt into a massive cascade failure.

My main reasons for success however, were mainly due to now knowing the weaknesses and to me finally learning to ruthlessly exploit the fact that most of the boss attacks can't harm the party currently inactive. In fact, it's quite amazing what a difference it made not wasting tons of turns on trying to figure out weaknesses!

Most amazing fact of this battle: While Oswald's new neutral Mega-Magic did tons of damage, like expected, Temenos' "all MP for massive damage"-skill turned out to be a dud. Or at least, that one specific time I used the skill with massive boosting, it didn't even reach the 9999-barrier. Disappointing!

Second most amazing fact: I went in believing I would abuse Oswald's secondary shaman powers a lot, but then there was never a free turn where I could safely use any of the shaman-specific powers. Also, Oswald spend a lot of time being dead, which contributed to him turning into a second, less useful Agnea. On the other hand, until most of his offensive skills were blocked because the Arcanist's main damage spells count as "healing", Temenos dropped fantasy nukes and fantasy lasers all over the place. (In fact, if it weren't't for the final phases of Vide going absolutely nuts with damage, he'd have ended up using his arcanist skills more often than his natural cleric-skills. :v: )

Welp, anyway! That was a fun, but rather hard boss. Luckily, actually playing the game instead of randomly hammering my meaty fists on the buttons of my Switch worked out in the end!

That gate-abomination can wait until Octopath III drops, though. I'll clean the fucker up then in preparation for playng the third game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
At some point I realized all characters with high magic defense are good healers, so over time, Partitio evolved into my back-up cleric for the times when Temenos needed a well-deserved rest

Agnea has high magic attack, so she became the scholar to replace Oswald, when needed. This works out really well because you can get a piece of equipment later that buffs fire+wind attacks. Combine this with Scholar Agnea and her wind AOE suddenly ends encounters before they can really start.

And since the same wind spell makes the party act first in the following turn, you essentially get two turns at the start of every battle.

Until Oswald got his final story skill, Agnea turned out to be a better scholar than Oswald himself! :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I also like how Agnea is alsways going "I'm sooorrrryyy!!!" every time she nukes a group with a spell. :allears:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Imagine if someone's personal ranking actually spelled out OCTOPATH? Seems very unlikely! But I'm sure they're out there.

I had a good start with Ochette and Castti, but then I hosed it up because Hikari/Agnea were basically tied for third spot, followed by Throne/Oswald on fourth, Partitio on five and Tremenos on sixth.

I'd get something like OCHATOPT with that. Like someone trying to say "OCTOPATH" but then sneezing midway through. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, the main issue seems to be that you're using a Steam Deck.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but poo poo like this is why I used God's only console, the Nintendo Switch, to play OT2.