Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Managed to go really fast and get all eight characters (after getting "practice" actually playing through each scenario normally) and get some other minor bits done (Golden Axe!), but I had to skip going after a lot of chests, path action uses, etc, to fit it all in. So the first thing I need to do with my retail copy (assuming I don't just start from scratch to go at a more leisurely pace) is to backtrack everywhere and snag all the missing chests and such. I took some notes.

Assorted thoughts:

-I made Cyrus my main character because of a blend of liking his story fairly well (I'd rank it third behind Primrose and Olberic) and thinking he'll end up being the most useful character (AoEing weak spots). I so considered making Olberic my MC because he has the best voice actor, or Ophilia because her story has good MC vibes and she lets you spell OCTOPATH going clockwise. But in the end I just think Cyrus is a more useful "always active" character than they are. (I tend to avoid tanking/healing in favor of zerg-mode alpha strikes when RPGs let me).

-H'aanit is amazing in combat because I like playing pokemon in the middle of my game and you can snag some very strong monsters. I really don't like how they translated her speech pattern though. I'm torn between keeping her around always to play with monster friends, or benching her always so that I don't haveth to listenen to her speeche.

-The Golden Axe is really funny and makes Alfyn incredibly strong, but I might have to put it aside to avoid breaking the difficulty curve too hard. On the other hand, the prospect of giving it to a multiclassed character to instantly make them good at melee is appealing. I don't particularly care for Alfyn or Concoct so far.

-If subclassing works like I think it does, I like a party that's something like:

Cyrus - Scholar/Cleric (All damage but Dark, offheals)
Primrose - Dancer/Apothecary (Versatile Mega-Support)
Olberic - Warrior/Hunter (All the Weapons)
Tressa - Merchant/Thief (Vampiric Lootbot)

Which also correlates pretty well to the characters I like the most.

Overall I am really hyped for this game and can't stop thinking about it. Thanks for reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

This game comes out right as I start a run of six 12 hour shifts in a row, so the only reasonable thing for me to do is to not sleep for a week.

Still debating whether I'm going to continue my demo "speedrun" (got all 8 characters and a bunch of other stuff) to jump right into new content, or start over to enjoy everything at a more leisurely pace. It's a tough choice.

I'm also going wobbly on party selection. I like everybody.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Worked 12 hours today. Working 12 hours tomorrow. Actually, I'm working 12 hours every day until Wednesday. But the joke's on them because I start night shift instead of day shift on Saturday, so I can stay up all night tomorrow playing the game to adjust my sleep schedule.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I was originally planning not to double up any classes so I could get full coverage, but Scholar rules so much that I think I'm going to use both Cyrus (my main) as a Scholar/Cleric and Primrose as a Dancer/Scholar. AoEs for days. Class I won't be using is Apothecary, which feels like the most droppable one since Concoct is exclusive to Alfyn anyways and they don't have a multihit axe skill so basic attacks are the best you can do for Axe armor breaking.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Gyoru posted:

Amputation hits incredibly hard and Last Stand is insane especially with everyone's favorite Golden Axe. The Warmaster's axe skill barely hits harder than Last Stand for comparison. Empoison is a reliable source of poison and poison damage is a boss killer since it scales with their max HP. The later bosses get multiple turns in a row so poison gets a lot of ticks. You are going to want Rehabilitate's immunity buff too for some of the later bosses.

Can you boost Rehabilitate to increase the buff's duration?

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I played through most of the game with Cyrus, Olberic, Primrose, and Therion; still need to finish a few Chapter 4s and the postgame and I never found the fourth hidden class (Starseer?). So I'm far from completely done, although it's trending that way.

I flip-flopped between Olberic and H'aanit for awhile before settling on Olberic mostly because his BLADE IS UNBENDING.

I have to say though, having just finished it with my B-Team, I really appreciated Alfyn's story. Instead of acquiring the stakes of the others which all seem to hint at the True Final Boss so far, it's just a little morality tale. Very heartfelt.

Out of all the characters I didn't use in combat, Alfyn is also very strong and fun because of Concoct BP spam.

So Alfyn, while still on the B Team, is the most A Team of the B Team, I guess I'm saying.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Here is an elite / hilarious strategy I found.

Sorcerer Cyrus, anyone as a Runelord. Cyrus needs Surpassing Power and Second Serving. Stack as much Magic Attack as possible.

Transfer Rune to pass Cyrus a rune the boss is weak against.

Use Elemental Break.

Then just use the attack command and cackle maniacally as Cyrus deals 30k+ damage with the rune blast, twice if Second Serving goes off.

You may experience sadness against the few bosses that can strip your buffs.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I was smuglording a bit to my wife (who likes watching me play Octopath Traveler) about how I pretty much broke to game and was rocking out enjoying my builds. Then I tried the True Final Boss.

I'm going to need to break the game much harder.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

So am I seeing it right that the "augments physical attack and def" passive just gives you a permanent atk up and def up boost in combat? That seems real nice on non-Olberic characters who want to make the most out of melee damage on non-warrior setups.

There's a spellcaster version too.

The best part about them is that they stick around when enemies dispel your buffs, or debuff you. Between that and the action economy gains (no turns spent buffing or re-buffing), I love these abilities.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

So it was known that you can farm battle-tested gear from NPCs (at a very low drop rate) but looks like this one guy found a decent setup to farm them quickly. It requires Olberic at 60 so he can challenge the 10* NPCs, but here is the setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJDcKKOcqdU Takes about 4 rounds to defeat them.

Just using the Warmaster Divine Skill with BP Eater and the start with 2 BP skill seems faster to me. Most of them can be broken with either Thousand Spears or Liondog too, although once you get to level 65+ that's not necessary.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Defeated the True Final Boss. Various thoughts:

I kept thinking the whole time that if only I hadn't given Kit that grape, none of this would have happened! Funny joke, but I like the way that the stories all tied together through Lyblac's machinations.

I ended up needing three attempts to kill it. My first try was immediately after beating my last Chapter 4 with levels in the low to mid 50s and it did not go well. I came back at 70 and did pretty well, but died to the second phase due to the sheer damage output. Tried again with a team shuffle (mostly Saving Grace on everybody and two healers in the second group) and beat it. My parties were:

1:
Cyrus/Sorcerer
Alfyn/Merchant
H'aanit/Warrior
Tressa/Runelord
Strategy: Make everyone's weapons glow and do lots of damage, Hired Help and the Hunter Divine helped with breaking/AoEing adds. Cyrus' light rune chases were htting for 32-40k, but Tressa was no slouch at ~24k. Alfyn removed status effects and otherwise funneled BP. I didn't need to heal too much thanks to breaking.

2:
Olberic/Warmaster
Therion/Hunter
Primrose/Cleric
Ophilia/Scholar
Strategy: Spam buffs/items/heals to let Olberic and Therion use their Divine Skills every turn. Olberic was seven levels higher than everyone due to beating up countless NPCs, so his blade was truly unbending. The damage in this phase is crazy and I'm not sure how you're supposed to survive without Saving Grace on everybody. (I had Saving Grace on everybody, about as much damage output as conceivable, and I still came close to wiping several times).

It was a ton of fun and very satisfying. Certainly the most difficult final boss I think I've ever encountered in a JRPG, including things like Etrian Odyssey postgame bosses. And I appreciated how subtle (but not unknowable) the "main plot" ended up.

Overall, my favorite characters were Cyrus and Olberic, with Primrose and Tressa in second place. That corresponds pretty closely to which stories I liked the most as well, although I felt that (very vague spoilers but hiding just in case) Primrose's story came apart a bit at the end after an amazing first two chapters, while Ophilia's slow-starting story got excellent in its last two.

This was a great game. If I had to pick a single best thing about it, I'd cheat with a pretty encompassing choice: presentation. The graphics, music, timing and mixing of the music, combat voice overs, etc, just made the whole thing so drat engrossing even in aspects where it was objectively basic. I was happy to let myself be won over.

And I'm already thinking about alternate ways to try playing on future playthroughs...

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

To the people who have been to and/or beaten the final boss: How about that extreme rock opera? :black101:

I liked it so much I was almost glad it took me three tries!

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Leghold Trap is a strong contender for the best skill in the game, so having that plus single target and AoE versions of "ruin Bow armor" makes a pretty powerful class, even if it is one dimensional.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Octopath 2 is definitely improved from Octopath the First in basically all areas, and yet nobody has as hype a voice line as Olberic shouting MY BLADE IS UNBENDING before completely annihilating a boss, so it's actually impossible to say which is the better game.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

edit: they named the country a coup happened in ku

And they named an Evil Backstory Wizard D'arqest. I love this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Cross-posting from the Steam Deck thread in search of answers!

I'm having a really bizarre issue with Octopath Traveler 2 on my Steam Deck and reaching out in case anyone has seen the like of it. The game crashes to desktop after a few minutes of playing. What is currently happening in the game doesn't seem to matter.

I played the game for 55 hours and most of the way through without any issues last year. I played about 20 hours of a new playthrough over the last few weeks without any issues. Since Friday, the game has become basically unplayable due to the crashes. There were no updates to the game or my Deck that I am aware of and no changes to the settings prior to the tinkering below.

Things I have tried:
*Loading other game saves.
*Reinstalling the game.
*Verifying files.
*Various game graphics settings and Deck power settings. Basically everything I can think of or find online.
*A full system restore.

Nothing has helped. This is incredibly bizarre and I'm kind of at my wit's end about it. Other games work and the issue seems isolated to Octopath 2. Does anyone have any ideas for me to try?