Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RELEASE DATE: JULY 13

AVAILABLE FOR PRE-PURCHASE AT THE E-SHOP

DEMO AVAILABLE

TO ACCESS THE FINAL DUNGEON, WATCH THIS VIDEO (BUT BEWARE OF SPOILERS!!)

Octopath Traveler is a game made by the developers of Bravely Default/Second, which were some cool JRPGs for the 3DS, and this looks like a cool JRPG for everyone's favorite system, the Switch. I'm gonna need to pick one up myself soon...

TOO LONG, WON'T READ POST, GIVE ME THE DEETS posted:

Eight travelers. Eight adventures. Eight roles to play in a new world brought to life in the Octopath Traveler game by Square Enix. Explore each traveler’s story and use their abilities in and out of battle. Will you expand your horizons as the merchant or track down a traitor as the warrior? Where will you go? Who will join you? You alone can choose your path.

Step into the shoes of a traveler to inherit their struggles and strengths. Use each character’s special abilities to interact with the world and enhance your tactics in turn-based battles. The dancer’s alluring charm leads followers into battle, whereas the apothecary can mix items to heal allies or unleash explosive attacks. Discover enemy weaknesses and target them to break through their defenses. Store Boost Points with each turn and then spend them at strategic times to strengthen abilities, chain attacks, or provide aid. Choose the path you wish to walk and discover what lies beyond the horizon.

GAMEPLAY

Octopath has two gimmicks going for it: its visual presentation and the 8 playable characters with their own stories and their "path actions".

Dubbed HD-2D for some reason, the visuals obviously hearken back to old-school JRPGs from the SNES era, but in an HD world with orchestral music and crazy After Effect filters.

In Octopath Traveler, you can start your journey with any one of the 8 playable characters:
Olberic the Warrior
Cyrus the Scholar
Therion the Thief
Ophilia the Cleric
Primrose the Dancer
Alfyn the Apothacery
Tressa the Merchant
H'aanit the Hunter

You will eventually be able to recruit all the different characters into your party and do their own personal stories. Surprisingly little... in fact, nothing at all... has been said about the game's main overarching story - the focus has been squarely on each character's independent storyline. Something to be excited about finding out in the actual game!

What we do know is that as you progress through the game, you will encounter obstacles that need to be overcome through use of the characters' path actions. There are two sets of path actions: Noble and Rogue. Noble path actions have restrictions placed on them: Tressa's path action, Purchase, allows her to buy items from people she meets, but at the cost of your money. Therion the Thief, meanwhile, can rob those people of their items for free, but with a chance of failure. If you fail, you will take a hit to your reputation in that region, which has CONSEQUENCES.

With the 8 characters, and the Noble and Rogue path actions split between them, there are essentially 4 types of path actions:
Fight - Olberic (Noble) and H'aanit (Rogue) are able to fight NPCs, to get them out of the way and extra experience points + goodies.
Items - Tressa (Noble) and Therion (Rogue) were detailed above.
Guide - Ophilia (Noble) and Primrose (Rogue) can ask NPCs to follow them, meaning you can guide them to areas or have them join in battle.
Information - Alfyn (Noble) and Cyrus (Rogue) can discover information about NPCs and receive bonuses in towns such as discounts.

COMBAT

There's quite a few things going on here, so let's get the easy bulletpoints out of the way first:
- Turn-based with turn order visible on top of screen
- Job system
- 4 party members in a fight (Ophilia and Primrose are able to call in NPCs to aid in combat, so technically a maximum of 6!)
- Hit enemy weaknesses and use Boost to Be Good At Game

So let's get to the meat and potatoes of the combat system.
As you fight, you accrue BP: Boost Points.

Alfyn has 0, Olberic has 2.

You are able to use your BP to either A) attack with your normal weapon multiple times, or B) boost the potential of your skills.

Different enemies are weak to different types of attacks!
Each enemy has a shield with a number on it. When you hit an enemy with an attack they are weak to, this number decreases by one.
When this number is 0, the enemy becomes Broken: they skip their next turn, and take extra damage from attacks.

The rhythm of the battle is then as follows:
1) Find out what your enemy is weak to!
2) Whittle down their shields! You can Boost your normal attack to hit several times, allowing one character to reduce an enemy with 3 shields to Break in one turn! Or use skills that hit multiple times!
3) Once the enemy is vulnerable, Boost your hard hitting skills to deal EXTREME DAMAGE

Unboosted, normal attack against an enemy not in Break:

A skill that has been Boosted, hitting the same enemy in Break:

Wow!!!!

Other things you'll want to use your Boosts on in combat that is not about dealing damage:
Buffing and Debuffing.
Healing.
Stealing.
Capturing beasts.
And more! Use Boosts. You Must Use Boosts To Be Good At Game.

To get more skills, you must fight in battle and get yourself some JP: Job Points. You then spend these on different skills in different jobs to find new and efficient ways to brutally murder wildlife.

FAQ
"What should I do to be good at this game?"
Learn when to hold back and when to spend all your BP! Use your BP! BP is what this is all about! You don't need to grind for levels, just get better at using BP!!

"Is this like, an open world game?"
Kind of, I guess!(?) You start with whatever character you want, and then go to different regions and meet & recruit the other characters! We really don't have much info about this yet!

"How do I unlock new jobs?"
Starting in the areas in the "outer ring" from where all the characters are (the areas in which the different Chapter 2s take place), there are shrines scattered about that unlock the different subjobs. These can be accessed at any time, even at early levels... though you might have to dodge death for a while if you do. Note that you do not reclass, merely equip the job as a subjob: they will always retain their original class: Cyrus cannot become a Merchant-Warrior.
There might also be more/advanced job classes?!?!

"What are these purple chests? I can't open them!"
Therion the Thief is the only one who can open those!

"The chance of stealing an item/capturing a beast is too low!"
The lower the enemy's HP, the higher the chance of successfully stealing from them/capturing them! Use Boosts to increase your chances even further!!

"Tressa is really cute."
I agree!

Terper fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Stealing for potential future use, like art.

Such as this 3D model of Tressa by Your Computer!!

Terper fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 13, 2018

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

poo poo I forgot to add the "Which character are you starting with?" poll

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

elf help book posted:

The Nintendo Direct trailer featuring Tressa sold me on the game. The visuals + 'play as a merchant" screamed cozy to me.
Tressa + Alfyn + Ophilia + Cyrus seems like the coziest, most pleasant party one can build. Maybe replace Cyrus with Olberic, but he's got the whole "raaah revenge for my liege" thing going on while Cyrus just wants to chill and read a book.

Terper fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 14, 2018

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The demo is reportedly live on the E-Shop.

If you can't find it, just search for "Octopath".

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In aweth at the sizeth of the ladeth of H'aanit's bosseth, absolute uniteth.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They're currently playing Octopath at the Treehouse stream with a full party, showing off different skills and classes and random encounters can be real beefy.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You only have 3 hours, so no, you can not. You can delete the save and try to speedrun to get as much done as possible if you really wanted to.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh. Well, we don't really know how the game is structured, but going by how the demo is built, going around and recruiting all the characters seems to be sort of a "prologue" section to the entire game, and the real thing starts once you've recruited everyone, so I'd say it is more expected that you do that.

But that's just :speculate:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All the characters, in addition to their path action, have a specific Talent. Olberic's is the ability to Boost your Defend command.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They've intentionally been very tight-lipped about everything regarding the game's main story. As you progress through the prologues of the different characters, you can definitely pick up on the threads that connect them all (Cyrus and Primrose, H'aanit, Alfyn, and Tressa, etc.) that will eventually blossom into the main storyline.

But again, we have surprisingly little knowledge about the game, which is a weird mix of exciting and worrying that I don't really get from many games nowadays. You can always pick up on a lot of details from trailers and the the story outlines for other games, but despite all we've seen I have really no idea what the game will be about other than "YOUR ADVENTURE :toot:"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Primrose's story is MATURE, Tressa is a bundle of joy and happiness. Do you want something that'll make you go "ew no don't" or "haha yay :classiclol:"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The inter-party character interactions are absolutely my biggest "Hmmm??", and have been for quite a while. With that said, a month or so back, Gameinformer wrote up their thoughts on the preview event some journalists went to, and they did detail an event between two party members.

quote:

The notion that these stories are more personal is exemplified in travel banter scenes. I see one right after a story beat in which a grateful character gives Alfyn a gift, sparking one of Tressa’s memories. While the development team has asked me not to share too many details, the two characters share a brief moment reflecting on the event, with Tressa sharing a story from her past and detailing why it was such a pivotal moment in her backstory. I gain additional insight into her character, adding an extra layer of humanity to the relationship.

As for Rogue v. Noble actions, Rogue actions generally have their level/money restrictions replaced with a percentage chance to fail. So you will have the chance to complete a quest/receive a strong item earlier than you would with Noble actions.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yes. By going to a tavern.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

eonwe posted:

how can i only have 3 hours of this until next month
The 3 hours only count for that save file, so you could just start up a new game and play with the other characters.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Has anyone speedran the demo enough to get 5 characters? I hit the time limit just as I got my 4th, and I'm interested in knowing if people outside of the current battle party get full, reduced, or no exp. This can make or break a game vis-a-vis grinding (see: battle chasers nightwar)

A bloke on Reddit did this in 2:47

As for your question though, I don't know.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It did end up in the second post, which is where all the thread original content shall go.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You can use the Path Actions of any character in your active party, yes.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Since the characters together form OCTOPATH, the villains form TRAVELER.

Or something like that.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bravely Default and Second both did it, so it's to be expected, really.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

g0lbez posted:

FF6 pulled it off decades ago with probably the same budget roughly
That's not true at all. For the first part of the game, and for large swathes of it afterwards, your party is almost always set, or forces you to bring along characters who then interact. When they don't know who is with you, all the dialogue is "done like this" and it doesn't matter who is in the party.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/appbank/status/1008660628637007873

There will be a livestream this Friday, by producer Masashi Takahashi.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

g0lbez posted:

Is there any indication that they reviewed any of the feedback received from the demo and implemented it in any fashion? I know probably not because of how far along in development it was when the first demo came out but I'm wondering why even bother having a survey like that then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohd4Mz-sr18

This was uploaded in January

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, the first three bosses you fight when recruiting characters get progressively stronger, since your team size is increasing. It stops after that since the size limit of your team is 4.

But the neat thing is that it's not just an increase in stats, but the actual complexity of the fights. If you do Ophilia later, for example, the boss actually summons several mobs instead of one, that all start counting down at the same time.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tressa is the only character capable of one-shotting the first boss, thus she is the most powerful character in the game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

theshim posted:

(is she actually, I need to know more)

Max boosted Hired Help bandits are enough to take them out in one go.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1014931923829862400

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nah, it's a reference to The Canterbury Tales, which Octopath certainly seems inspired by.

https://www.slideshare.net/Carrielt1/chaucer-canterbury-tales-intro-lesson-presentation

https://www.bartleby.com/40/0101.html

e: Which, as Sunning says, is Middle English.

Terper fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 10, 2018

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Housh posted:

IGN's video review sounded like a nerd jizzing his pants

Don't doxx me

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Lol, I see the Octopath Traveler reddit finally noticed they spelled the name 'wrong' and moved.

That was mostly because the original mod of the sub was inactive and couldn't add extra mods. They needed to contact some admin to move those privileges over.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

minya posted:

Can someone explain how Alfyn ‘s concoct skill works ? Seems useless but I guess I’m doing bad combinations or something?

He's got immediate access to every element that hits multiple times. The stronger the ingredients the stronger the effects. Etc.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It doesn't matter how weak his elemental concoctions are, they still remove the enemy's shields.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Always looking for a bargain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMuYfScGpbE

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Note, of course, that you totally can go ahead and do areas and chapters you're not ""supposed"" to be doing yet. Bravely Second also gave recommended levels for its areas and you were free to turn off experience whenever you wanted and not give a hoot.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULeDlxa3gyc

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

As you walk about you get a message in the top left corner of the screen that says "Tressa found X amount of cash money"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's not a minimap, it's a radar. If you don't like it, you can turn it off with R.

And yes, boosting buffs increases their duration.

Terper fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Phenotype posted:

But in that case, doesn't it mean there's no point to ever buying a second AOE or single-target ability? I thought about this because I just bought Alfyn's single-target Axe chop, but it seems pointless to ever use it over a regular attack before an enemy is broken. Then after an enemy is broken and I want to boost an ability for damage, he already has the Ice single-target attack to use.

Well obviously it'll be the better option if Alfyn has a higher physical attack stat?