Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My one question is how this game fixes the post-game dungeon that was FF3 crystal tower bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I was midway through Partito's chapter and decided to start over as Osvald. No loving way am I listening to that KFC drawl in every fight for the next 50 hours.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Max settings would barely heat up a toaster.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Would this be a jump in quality akin to Original Sin 2 from Original Sin 1? There we went from the poor man's Discworld to the successor to Baldur's Gate 2.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Imagine how the new version of Dragon Quest III plays.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Do I need the boat to get to the third city in the Brightlands?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Did a scenario writer put down the name "Thorne" on a piece of a paper, only to angrily to ball it up and toss it in the bin?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wish this game had a checklist like the last two Ys games.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The game doesn't need any more content. But patching in difficulty modifiers wouldn't be amiss.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Whose has so little a life that they'll make an LP thread?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

At level 40 I find every orange sidequest can be solved inside of a minute. Only you'd never guess the solution since you'll need to comb a city of NPCs to do so.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If there was one difficulty modifer this game needs, it would be the option to cap your level when entering a dungeon. The second half of the game inevitably becomes a cakewalk if you play this as quadpath traveler.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The most understated change is that when a path action is 100% likely to succeed, there's no warning prompt requiring another button press.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

precision posted:

Just got temenos and lmao the priest beats people up to get info

As an Irish Catholic, Temenos is a... step up from what we have here.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

30 hours in did I bother to learn that Cassti has an offensive skill.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If a villain only shows up in a chapter or two, they might as well make it count by drowning a puppy, burning down an orphanage, or promoting NFTs as a legitimate business investment.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Apparently 2 has the exact same number of travel banter scenes as the first game, but they are all spaced out and not missable this time.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It certainly helps that that douchebag Niosi (Therion, YIIK)is nowhere to be found in this game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

gently caress, even the menus were incredibly slow in the first game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Lord knows how you're supposed to get all the Inventor skills without a guide.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The game could definitely benefit from the checklist seen in the Final Fantasy pixel remasters.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Throne's last chapter is so edgelord it could have come out of Chained Echoes.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What's the strat for that octopus shithead that inexplicably lives in the desert? After a while he straight up goes 9999 on everyone. No, I'm not going to use the Merchant's hire skill.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I highly doubt the Conjurer job is worth the pass in the rear end it is to get. It's not a hard boss gauntlet, but it sure feels long.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Who has beaten the squid? You know the one.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Theyre short quests with minor encounters.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The superboss has nothing do with the story or final boss. He can be accessed fairly early on.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

He fits the mold from the previous game as a bad guy who shows up out of nowhere. Pretty much everyone else's antagonist is introduced early or set up in advance.

EDIT: Last time I played Chrono Cross a talking dog with a lisp jabbered on about time paradoxes. I think Octo 2's separate but connected formula is as good as it needs to be.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 20, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Throne does look weird in her key art. She's like Slenderman with tits.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I know Triangle Strategy isn't the same studio despite being under the same graphical umbrella, but how is it now that its half price? Is it grindy? Tons of missables? Unbalanced like DOS2? Too long to start?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Stay tuned for Quadrangle Quest.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is the endgame supposed to be balanced around 50 or 60? Never mind balance goes out the window when you can max out everyone's BP gauge for free.

Nobody has talked about BD, ever since BD2 was a shrug on par with the Outer Worlds.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 20, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My one gripe with bosses is any one that can remove a party member for a few turns. There's no counter to it and no means of curing it. So you bet your arse the final boss does it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Trophy guide lists the NPCs in question:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2938224161

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm fine with the inter-party design seen in II. Mechanic-wise, some kind of change to the random encounters would be welcome. Like say, being able to switch off encounters that are below your level since weak enemies avoid you. And having a whistle from Dragon Quest that lets you summon enemies anyway. Or a reward for beating everything but the superboss could be an item that summons metal slime enemies/

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 22, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Partitio's final boss rattled off a speech mid-fight, then he vanished in a puff of logic.

He was a candle in the wind, unreliable.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 22, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'd keep the random encounters and the puzzle rooms separate in that case.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It was nice to see how many supporting characters return in the epilogue to bid you off. Except for Tanzy. Whoops. She really barked up the wrong goddess.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

A downside of the relative lack of challenge in the second half is that you can come unprepared for the final boss. Level 60 with maxed jobs, top gear, and fruits of labor for everyone, and I still felt like I was winning by a hair. "It's like if Kefka was actually challenging since it's mandatory to use all the balance-breaking combinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's not Pokemon because the graphics aren't shite.