Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

"What would a book of holy scripture be doing in a pulpit" had some big "why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital" energy.

It's literally Crick's first day on the job, give the poor guy a break.

Though everything about Temenos and his story is great. Besides the obvious Sherlock comparisons, there's a long standing tradition of monk/nun detective novels so it was really neat to see one play out in a JRPG format.

I could have played a whole game of just him and Crick solving mysteries frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
On the subject of path actions, the game is fairly clever in that it'll force you to use certain ones. Like for instance even if you dont like to use Temenos, he is the only person who can get info at night and that plays a role in certain important side quests. Osvald is also the only person who can obtain certain items from night time npcs. Since some of those items will either not be an item the npc will give up or require a ridiculously high leveled Agnea to get.

Castti is another notable one because her skill works on any npc at any level. So if you are the type to sneak into higher level towns and look around you can actually get some very strong equipment pretty early if you use her skill at the right spots.

Though I do agree that I ended up using Ochette's actions the least out of everyone. But her path actions being mediocre is probably a small price to pay for how busted her unique battle skills are. Also jerky is an easy way to buff in battle so there's that.

I think the game does a great job of making every character useful in some way.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Polderjoch posted:

Wouldn't an easy solution for more Crossed Paths be just, making them on the main chapter path of characters? Like say a Cyrus/H'aanit Crossed Path functioning as Cyrus' Chapter 3 and H'aanit's Chapter 2, so you'd need to have done their Chapter 2/Chapter 1, to unlock their Chapter 4/3?

When I first heard about the crossed path thing that's what I originally assumed it was going to be. I did like what we actually got to be fair.

But, It would be really interesting to see them try something like that for a whole game. Though they'd have to really work on the stories to make them work together if two character's chapters are happening simultaneously. Though since there's usually some overarcing events linking all the characters together in these games it shouldn't be impossible to do. The opportunity to have more interaction between the characters would be well worth it imo.

I think to allow for more interaction while not making the game completely linear you'd have to do something like that. Or at least require recruiting all characters before chapter 2, and let characters interact with stuff if they aren't currently in the active party.

end game spoilers Kinda like the end game where even though you only had 4 people active at once, the assumption was that all 8 were together at this point and you could party swap on the fly.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 21, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
The stories are pretty much self contained in a sense so you could just play a few stories then just stop playing. But you'll miss the end game that kinda ties everything together and adds additional context which is pretty good. Some of the stories are better than others but the characters as a whole are pretty endearing. Even the ones that seem like they might be irritating at first glance.

Also having a full party gives you lots of options for party compositions and there's a lot of really good job combinations worth playing around with. Especially with the latent skill/unique actions that characters get which are actually decently balanced. Every character has a few unique set ups that make them pretty powerful in the right circumstances. So it's worth it to at least recruit and use all 8 even if you don't like every storyline just for gameplay reasons.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 24, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

I eventually ended up with this setup:

Temenos/Scholar
Osvald/Merchant
Throne/Inventor
Ochette/Dancer

I learnt the hilarity that can ensue from Beguiling Grace when I managed to lock myself out of items halfway through Throne's chapter 2 boss fight.

You found the broken Temenos subjob. If Ochette wasn't in the game, he'd be king at breaking enemies as scholar for sure.

It's also nice for instantly winning most interrogation actions, just start him with support skills to boost his latent gauge and BP and you're good to go.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Once I finish the stories of my A-team and swap to my B-team of Castti/Partitio/Agnea/Hikari, what subjobs should I try out on them? There's Partitio/Dancer mentioned above and I heard that Castti goes well with /Warrior thanks to her high strength stat, anything else pop out for the other two? Maybe I should hunt down the three not-Inventor subjobs to see what they can do.

Yeah I did warrior with Castti and it worked great all game. Lots of health from apothecary so she can tank pretty well, concoct for whatever you need, and she does a lot of damage with warrior ultimate or drastic measures. It also lets her use swords/spears which helps with breaking. Especially since she already gets a lot of elemental types via concoct.

Agnea is probably one of the better inventor users because her latent skill lets her turn any of the single target skills into multi ones. Though there's plenty of classes that benefit from her latent skill so it's not the only choice.

Hikari can use just about anything because his base kit is so strong. Hunter is probably pretty common with him cause it gives him access to bow skills. Later on you want him to have access to staves to take advantage of a particularly strong staff weapon but other than that a lot of things work with him.

Partitio is also pretty flexible. Dancer is good, thief is good for utility too. You would probably lean support with him because Hikari and Castti will have damage covered pretty handily. And he always has hired help which is a strong ability if you have the money to put into it.

I wont mention the other classes since you haven't found them yet but there's a few really strong combinations involving them too. So definitely play around with those classes when you get them.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah, if you want Osvald to do the most possible damage you have to pick an element and get at least 2 if not 3 of the elemental boosting weapons for it. (I think Fire/Ice have 3 and lightning has 2 if I remember right). So warrior/hunter/thief can help with that. Or of course if you just go Armsmaster then it's pretty easy since that lets him equip everything.

Also I'd argue merchant is fine for Ochette. Her latent skill gives her enough damage to be useful, her provoke ability combined with her final ex skill gives her endless utility and the best breaking in game. She's like Hikari and doesn't really need a subjob to make her shine. So you are free to give her what you currently need for your party. Having an extra merchant is never a waste. (or whatever support job your party currently needs)

Throne is an interesting one too because she can do stuff like cast Dohter's charity then immediately pop one of the items that restores all BP/Latent/etc and max out the party in effectively one action. And unlike Inventor Agnea doing the same by using her latent ability with coil, Throne can do that every turn as needed. So long as you have the items. Her latent ability has some broken synergy with almost every job and so there's probably nothing that she can't make work. There's a particularly fun interaction with armsmaster where by taking extra actions with her latent, she can crank up that one move that does more damage the longer the turn goes and just absolutely wreck things.

And Temenos yeah, I think scholar is so strong on him it's hard to go with anything else. Not just for the 6-8x break on any shield type, but also because his final EX skill can be buffed with the scholar divine skill. So if you do that and have partitio overbuff his MP, Temenos will do ridiculous damage. Makes up for the fact that you can only use one light boosting weapon (since they are all staves). Though his heal that temporarily buffs maximum health also has a lot of potential, especially if you make it party wide with Sealticge's. That skill is also buffed by the scholar divine skill so yeah, even more reason to use it unless you have Osvald or another scholar buffing him instead.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 25, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

animeluva1 posted:

And if not costume, best hat.

We are truly fortunate to have multiple good hat options in this game.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah Sealtige Remedy is hilarious. That's whats great about this game, there's so many broken and fun interactions. Hell there's a video out there of Castti just one shotting the super boss with a super amped concoct (with wind element). Anything is possible if you stack enough stuff.

Bonus points for them stalling during set up by just having Partitio buy the boss's turns three times in a row.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

do y'all always have summons following you around on Partitio/Agnea/Temenos? I'm trying to figure out if that's how you're supposed to fix their lack of good multi-hit moves for breaks, or if I should be getting them some kind of jobs that have those moves. Agnea in particular I don't really get, she feels pretty underpowered even with her buffs, since they're only single target without her latent power active

e: ok I've scrolled up and I guess I should try this Sealticge's Seduction skill :stare:

Specifically for Agnea, outside the dancer divine her strength is her latent ability but using it on dancer skills is not usually the best use. You can do stuff like use arcanist to do party wide reflect, use it with inventor to mega-elixir the party with full bp/latent with coil, thief for aoe corrosive, cleric for aoe shield, etc. Sealticge also covers some of these but Agnea's latent can be done without a turn to set up which makes it useful for turn one stuff. Especially setting up a party with coil.

Also Windy Refrain is a very good skill for controlling turn order and song of hope can effectively make buffs permanent with the extensions. In general, classes are kinda underwhelming but EX skills are very strong across the board. So if you want to know how to make a character work just look at their latent + EX skills and that'll basically tell you what you have to work with. Barring stuff like Arcanist Partitio doing party wide side-step/rest and stuff.

For recruits, there's some npcs that do special effects when Agnea dances like buffing damage/defense/etc. There's even a guy who will restore 1 BP to your dance target. So getting one of those can make her a bit more useful to.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah and if materials are a problem she can concoct for free with her latent skill and there are items/abilities/etc that can refill latent gauge. But by chapter 4 you should be able to get the materials to do diffusing, strengthen, pomegranate x 2 to give 4 BP to the team. That still leaves one ingredient to give HP, SP or whatever else you need. Also you can just use Dohter's charity on someone and spam the elixir items that full restore BP/latent/etc as well. Castti is good at everything but usually maxxing out the party's BP is the best option unless you have someone else doing that.

Damage concoct is more for breaking or if you are doing some weird gimmick build with a lot of stuff stacked. If you want damage drastic measures will usually be the better option for her. It hits very hard even with just a few debuffs on the enemy. Though to get good use out of it you need to give her the warrior skill that lets her break damage cap since it's a one hit move.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 30, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Agnea's final boss fight also actually isn't one. It's just a very elaborate stage show between two world-class dancers and their backup teams providing fancy special effects with swordplay and magic displays.

Yeah I thought that was an excellent way to handle it. Also loved the fake out with the Opera manager guy and his tragic backstory, and Agnea's song actually being the final boss theme for her chapter. I can understand people not liking her earlier chapters but her final chapter is one of the best in the game imo. And a much needed breather with how heavy the other stories get. Like Castti's story is my favorite but jeez it's a lot. So it's good Agnea is there to balance things a little.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Me: my party's lvl 33 on average, I can handle this lvl 34 recommended cave in the wildlands. See, I'm tearing through all the mobs in here!

Boss: Blasts out foul breath first thing and then I realise that my ailment management options are few and far between.

Oh yeah I remember that one. Some of the optional bosses are real jerks with their gimmicks. The problem solving makes it fun though.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

Just got to the final story boss of Octopath 2 and :stare:

Does uh... does anyone have any tips for physical damage mitigation? I guess for two characters so I can split them between the parties?? Though I haven't even made it to the second party phase.

There's also probably a bunch of mechanics I've been ignoring so far this game I could pick up. With the night gimmick it's too late to grab more Hikari skills or Summons for Agnea or Tenemos. I could reload an old save for this, it'd just be really annoying. I'm also not super clear if these summons stick around when you remove someone from your party? I suppose I can pick up new friends for Partitio and Ochette, at least.

I guess the other big thing to do would try to optimize my armor and weapons better than what the game does for me when I slam "optimize all". That and try to gently caress around with job stuff, I guess. If I reload my save I suppose I could get that last job in Ku, just got annoyed by one of those bosses and gave up...

If you are really struggling this might help. If you stack your damage on the first party and do some good damage with your first breaks to "overkill" the first phase, the second party won't have to do as much work since like the chapter bosses the phases share a health pool. Though you still want them to be relatively balanced otherwise, with a decent support/healer on both teams.

Also if you need something that can give you more breathing room then you have a few options that aren't too hard to get. If you go to the forsaken graveyard south of montwise there is a boss at the bottom of it. If you kill that boss it shows up as a regular encounter in the graveyard that Ochette can capture. If you use that boss in battle it gives party wide reflect and side-step in addition to a strong darkness aoe. You can only use it once per battle but it can buy you a turn to set up more permanent defenses. Also seconding Arcanist Partitio, he really breaks the game. Seal of diffusion wont let you do party wide reflect though you'll still need to use sealticage on him for that one. But side-step + reflect will pretty much negate all damage.

You can also just put Sealticage on Temenos and let him do Prayer for Plenty which will also protect people for a couple of hits. Put Alephan's on him if you do this since that will buff the max hp gain by a lot. He can then also nuke the boss pretty hard with his final EX Skill since that also benefits from Alephan's.

Concoct also buffs everyone so you should definitely make use of that for BP/Healing. Inventor agnea using coil if you found that also maxxes BP(and mega-elixirs/revives all characters as well). I think you can get all the parts for it at night too.

You got options, so just keep at it and you'll find a good solution.
Also don't worry about the Ku job. it's the weakest of the special jobs. Some of the passives are nice and you can do some interesting things with it but it's not going to help you as much as the other three.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 2, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Live a Live is one of the best SNES rpgs and the remaster does it justice. Just go in blind and play it.

Also seconding Triangle Strategy. It was made by a different team but Asano was involved with both games. It still does kinda feel like Octopath traveler but as a tactics game. At least there's similiarties in terms of the art style and the writing (and "...").

Though as mentioned, You can't compare it to FFT. Its' pretty different in mechanics. And the start is very slow instead of FFT/TO's tendency to just throw you immediately into the action. But the game does go places and ramps up a lot after the start.

It's still a tactics kind of game though and some battles can be pretty tricky. But you can break a lot of the difficulty with the right units and synergies. Unfortunately you can't overlevel characters in this game (but catch up is very easy at least). So you' are forced to figure out mechanics to get through fights. So if that isn't your cup of tea then you won't enjoy this game.

But on the bright side, every character is useful in some way, and it's not hard to come up with good teams to get through battles. Hell your starting team is actually very powerful and so you can lean on them if you want.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

kliras posted:

what do people do for power levelling? i was obviously the person who had half the team at 70 and the other half at 35 by the end. other than +exp and +cait encounter

Cait encounters are the best for it for sure. I don't think there's anything else that's close to it. But it's not too bad if you use the equipment that boosts their appearance rate and there's a support skill that makes rare monsters more likely to show up too. However there is a way to set it up so that you only have to do like a few fights to level everyone up but it requires a bit of luck

After you finish Partitio's Story, you can do some side quests that center around Alrond and his butler in Wellgrove. Once you finish them Alrond starts hanging out in front of his house and you can hire him for a lot of money. He can only be summoned 3 times but each time he's out he'll use an ability that increases xp or jp gained. I think you get like 3 casts of it per summon. You can get 10x xp/jp but there's like a 10% chance you can get a 100x buff instead. So if you save scum for that buff then that could make for a pretty short grind. Though if you really don't want to look for caits, just any decent xp encounter will still be worth a ton with that 100x buff. Maybe refight one of the side dungeon bosses.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 3, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ace Transmuter posted:

There's a late-game scene in one of the paths between Serenoa and Benedict where they both show off their VA chops, and I'd guess the similar scenes in the other paths go just as hard.

Yeah that's the one scene that I'd turn on VA for. Every character nails their version of it, especially Frederica. And even Serenoa's VA's performance is much better than usual. Outside of that I dunno, everyone is slightly on the bland/twee side with a few exceptions. Frederica as noted is probably the best performance. Though Dragan is really entertaining and Svarog has some great delivery too. I think it's probably more the writing making it hard for the VA's maybe?

kliras posted:

thx. do you know for sure whether you can still get it after reaching the endgame phase? there's some daytime requirements afaict, and the npc's don't seem to be there, but maybe i just missed something and already activated their quest lines. i do have the department store though

I'm not 100% sure if you can or not. I know Alrond does appear at night. But to trigger the quest you have to talk to his butler who I think is in Alrond's house but I don't remember if you can find him at night. Do you have a save before end game? end game itself is pretty short so it might be easier to just do that if you have the option.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 3, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

A Sinister Rap posted:

Also if you're talking about the original demo, Serenoa actually has a different English VA in that.

I haven't played the demo but his VA in the actual game is definitely on the mediocre side if not just bad. Though in the few instances he's allowed to emote and show some kind of emotion he does a better job so it's probably just an issue with direction.

Also when you do play it, there's a button you can press to see a portrait of who's talking (like concept art of them). You should do this because its the only way to see the art of some of the characters. Also its hilarious how unhinged a lot of them look. Not just the villains either. There's a bunch of neutral and potentially friendly characters who just look like that for whatever reason. It's great.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 4, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

Huh, so far Temenos is the only final chapter I’ve finished and I thought it’s boss went down pretty easy. Going into Throne’s now. Wonder if I’ll have an easy time with all the final chapters or if I just was lucky with Temenos.

Difficulty in this game is strange. If you have certain combinations of jobs and items you can take out pretty much every boss in the game within a break or two. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, Throne + speedy subjob and a few good items for Aeber's can be enough to trivialize a lot. But if you go to a boss under prepared or without any of the really good tools then it can definitely be difficult. So bosses usually end up being nightmare horrors or just barely above a regular encounter in difficulty depending.

It doesn't help that you can't take out your main character and so they'll naturally be overleveled. And if this character is like a Castti or a Hikari you are going to wreck things even if the rest of your party is a little underleveled.

But yeah if you are having an easy time with the end bosses so far, the next ones probably won't be much harder. Not at least until you fight the final boss or the super boss.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 7, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm going to guess that these second EX skills unlock from finishing character storylines?

Yup. And they are very much worth the wait.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Well, some of them are. I don't think I've ever gotten any real use out of Throne, Hikari, Temenos or Partitio's.

Funny you mention Partitio and Temenos together.

Partitio's ability lets you increase SP way over the cap if you boost it. Temeno's ability is the strongest light attack in the game that scales on total SP in addition to magic stats. So if you combine them, Temenos will do ridiculous damage. Probably the easiest way to hit damage cap with magic thinking about it. Also if you aren't going for that Partitio's ability is still good for doubling/tripling Hikari's/Ochette's max SP so they can do more things.

Hikari's is just a really strong physical move, but yeah I agree it's probably the least interesting since there are other strong physical moves he can use instead.

As for throne well.. have you ever wanted two Hikari's? That's how you get two Hikari's. But yeah just being able to have two of your strongest party member is really good and there's lots of shennigans you can do it with it.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 8, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah I do like the small dungeons. It really helps not drag things out too much. And it works with Octopath's emphasis on towns and path actions so you are spending more of your time interacting with NPCs and solving those sorts of puzzles instead. Gives it a different feel from other RPGs.

Though, It would be really nice if the no encounters item was accessible before you completely finish the game. Or if there was some system to make it easier to skip/adjust encounters when you overlevel areas like in the BD games. (The support skills help but they aren't the same) But at least with dungeon sizes and fast travel it never becomes too much of an issue I guess.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Taear posted:

I mean just the normal areas, I've not really had any dungeons yet (I've done Chapter 1 of everyone and that's about it)

Well the support skill (I think it's scholar's?) that reduces encounter rate will help a bit. There's another skill that also makes it much easier to run away which I think is a cleric one. In addition to that, there's some support skills that let characters start fights with full boost and/or latent gauge. This will later let you make set ups where you can end a lot of encounters with a single turn. Like a thief with Aebers, Ochette/Hikari's Latent skill, Osvald's spells, etc etc. So it can really cut down the time you spend in encounters.

So you'll at least have a few options to deal with that stuff as you get more jobs and skills.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
You haven't gotten to any of the parts where the characters interact yet to be fair. The first joint chapters start after you finish several chapter 2s. Though I think if none of the individual stories/characters grab you and you don't like the game play you should just stop playing it. Since I don't think the joint chapters will be enough to change things for you if you dislike most of what the game offers already.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 14, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Finished my 4th character path, which completes my starter party. Gonna do the second Temenos/Throné duo quest then its time for some powerlevelling.

I might swap Armsmaster off Osvald onto Hikari which is going to hurt all the random element-boost weapon stacking options I can have on him, but I think that Giant Club + the Armsmaster weapons for the other 5 slots would go a lot better on Hikari. Dunno what I would run on Osvald instead though, flittering between Inventor and Arcanist (no Conjurer yet).

You could give him apothecary/merchant/warrior/thief/etc to try to give him some more weapon types to try to boost a few elements. Or cleric for the utility/heals plus a light elemental attack. Not amazing but it works pretty well except for the lack of access to weapons.

Arcanist has some good passives for him but Arcanist shines more as a support job than a dps job. Though he's not terrible at it and if you want shirtless Osvald well there you go. That said there's also other characters who use it much better. Inventor at least gives him more weapon types but then you can't put it on Agnea who is really really good with the job.

It's a tough choice but you do have options!

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 15, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah I'm at the point where everyone in my A team can casually crap out 30k damage on turn 2 so demoting Osvald to support/shield cracker with arcanist isn't too bad an idea, I'm really going to miss the spiritlord staff bash though.

Actually I might go apothecary then and save arcanist for Partitio who I assume uses it very well. I already have Temenos with scholar so Osvald with cleric would just be redundant really.

Yeah, Partitio makes the best arcanist to be sure, but it does have the drawback of making fights kinda boring since he effectively makes your party immune to physical damage. Though there's some other characters that have fun self abilities to apply that are less game breaking. Arcanist Hikari can apply his aoe attack selfbuff to the party(and also self applying learned skills and vengeful blade!). Ochette has that self buff of hers that buffs a lot of stats, etc. I'm pretty sure most of those work.

Might be worth experimenting with different characters and seeing what you can get out of it. Though making Osvald support is a good idea, as you said the game isn't short on good damage options anyways.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 15, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

I finally wrapped all the character chapters and crossed paths and the icon for the final mission has popped up on my map. From what I've seen from quick googling, it sounds like I should complete all the side content I want prior to starting it, as it's going to cut off/make some side stuff harder until the chapter is complete.

What would a general to-do list before starting that mission look like? So far I've found all the secret jobs, but not unlocked all their abilities. One half of my party is in the range of level 70... the other half is in the upper 30s. I figure I need to get the weaker guys up a dozen levels or so. Any particularly cool optional dungeons I should hit first? I've done a lot of them, but I know I left a few undone (I really wish the game marked completed dungeons on the map. My memory of which I did and didn't do over the last 80 hours of gameplay ain't that great...)

If you want a list of things to check:

For optional dungeons double check the ones around the final towns like Gravell and the like. Those will have the most interesting rewards. There's also one out at sea in the area that was blocked off by the shark that's very short but has a few potentially very impactful items in it. I'd say also go to graveyard south of montwise too if you didn't. In the ice region (Where Temenos/Hikari's chapter 3/4 was) there's also a secret dungeon that's tricky to find. If you go around the area south of the town there during the day you'll find npcs there which can give you some clues on how to find it.

If you need more hints for items and stuff you can also go to the job guilds. Each one will tell you about a very powerful item and where to find it so you can use that to help. Whats nice is they tell you the name of the item too so you can check to see if you already have it if you don't remember what you've done.

Also if you are going to be running around optional dungeons, something that's good to keep in mind is that there its possible to capture the boss enemies with Ochette. You have to defeat them normally once, and then after that they can reappear as a regular encounter in that area. That version of them can be caught and used with Ochette's Provoke at max boost. Can only be used once per battle but some of the effects are very powerful. Montwise Graveyard has a really nice one in particular

There's also some nice debuffing monsters like the trees you can find in the area before Timberain. And having a couple of 2x attack monsters in damage types that you are lacking can be really nice for end game. Also you should have access to all of Hikari's good learned skills now, so it might be worth spending a little time checking around end game towns for skills you like. Timberain again has some nice stuff, but even some places like Sai have some really strong skills available in end game.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

Speaking of Hikari's skills, I'm not sure I get why limb from limb is so loved. It can only do one more hit than his standard multi-hit sword skill and the total damage never seems to be above what I get from Brand's Blade (I typically get 4-7 hits of 1000-ish damage with limb from limb, but around 35,000 with Brand). Is there something I might be doing that's holding it back? As is, the one extra hit doesn't seem worth taking up a slot. Also, not sure what other skills of his I should have? I got the arrow skill that does up to like... a dozen high damage hits against all enemies. That's kinda the only learned skill I ever use.

Also, regarding the Timberain area, I couldn't figure out what's up with all the ghosts? I went into the old house but couldn't find any sort of boss. Also poked around the gazebo in the lake. Can't seem to find a related side quest either. Figure I must be missing something big.

For the spoilered part The ghosts are searching for something. So you gotta find the thing they are looking for and bring it back to them.

And yeah, some of the really good damage set ups require specific equipment and junk to work. But none of that is necessary, I didn't use limb from limb either. Just use whatever skills you think work well, there's a lot of skills he can learn. He can learn utility skills too like rest and analyze.

Also one last thing I forgot. Most of the important NPCs from storylines will stick around after you finish the major stories. And almost all of them have side quests as well as high end equipment that you can liberate from them via various means. For example Rai Mei is back at her castle and you can buy her lightning spear if you want. So you got plenty of options if you want more to do.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 19, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

They never seemed to approach Hikari’s raw damage even with identical equipment. Though they were several levels behind due to Hikari being my starting character.

It's likely the level difference. Castti was my protagonist and she was outdamaging Hikari for a lot of my game. Though I made her a warrior, I tended to lean on drastic measures over brand's blade. Since that easily hits for 50k or so if you just throw a couple of debuffs like armor corrosive on an enemy without any additional set up or special equipment.

If we are talking min/max though, and access to end game equipment and everything then yeah Hikari wins because of Limb. But any of those three (and throne) can easily get you through all fights single-handedly if you lean on their best skills. Same with the magic users too but they require a little more set up to do as well as the more physically oriented characters.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 24, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Eh that part is fair, people like the characters and they want more ways for them to interact. I think team Asano is aware of that too considering OT2 did much better than the first game in that regard. So it's not that odd to want to see even more interaction in OT3.

They could probably do a lot just by increasing the amount of crossed paths in the game even if they keep everything else the same. Say if they had one set after every chapter and let there be other pairs besides just the same four. Maybe there could be a crossed path with 3 or 4 characters too. There's options without messing with the game's format too much.

Though getting rid of the path actions would be insanity. It's the game's hallmark and I enjoyed having actual things to do in towns and the various puzzles the system provides. It really rewards exploration too and they find ways to do fun storytelling here and there with it as well. Like the clockbank thing is hilarious.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 25, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah that feels accurate. Like most dungeons are larger than a couple of rooms but not by much. Some of the storyline ones feel like a nice size especially later on in the game but most of the side dungeons are on the small side. The outdoor areas feel large though since they are all interconnected and there's a lot of secrets to find. So you'll be exploring them a couple times over usually and finding new things all over the place, be it quests/npcs/side-bosses/etc.

Like the game is already 80 or so hours as it is. So you don't have to worry about the game being too short. But if you like massive dungeon crawls you'll probably be a bit disappointed.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

unattended spaghetti posted:

To set expectations around dungeons appropriately, in Ozzy's chapter 5 I was stunned to discover the dungeon actually had a second screen.

This is still my favorite game of the year.

I had the same reaction. Though I thought a few other dungeons ended up longer than I expected too. Like a couple of the later dungeons in Throne's story come to mind as well.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

unattended spaghetti posted:

There’s no part of this game that wasn’t fussed over to an insane degree.

Rarely do I ever feel like replaying a JRPG, but I could see myself going back through this one, because there’s depths here that I haven’t even vaguely approached in this playthrough. The mechanics are immensely exploitable, and there are so many ways to create the experience you’d like to have, without feeling like you’re missing something. It’s a wealth of goddamn riches, Octopath II is. A game of tiny details that add up to an exquisite whole.

Also, I’m wondering if the Throne stuff y’all wanted me to check in on is in her Chapter 4, because her dad wanting her to kill him just feels like the typical anime frenemy dynamic. Unless of course he’s immortal for some reason? The way he talked, it was as though she was breaking some kind of curse or something. And I guess there’s the fact of her real father to contend with. Interested to see how that goes. Suitably thrilling pair of boss fights with her parents though.

I agree 100%. There's so much attention and care put into every bit of this game. Even with stuff that you won't see unless you really look under every rock.

Throne stuff Chapter 4 is a pretty significant turn in her story. Not gonna say anything more because you should experience it as it is but yeah that's probably what people were trying to direct your attention to.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 29, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yup, it works for all areas with mini-bosses like that. Gotta beat the boss form once but the random encounter version that shows up afterwards can always be caught.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

Oh is that how you fulfill the hunter license quests? I brought Ochette to Castii’s fight vs the sand lion but couldn’t kidnap it. Can I get it if I go back there or is the quest referring to a totally different quicksand monster

In this case I'm pretty sure it's the latter. There's another dungeon with a quicksand monster that guards a powerful spear, that's the one for the hunter quest iirc

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

bewilderment posted:

That quest is a special one because it appears outside your starting town and all you need to do for it is go exploring in that same zone at night to find the culrpit.

Most quests give you very little direction other than one page of writing in your journal and it's up to you to work it out (or use a guide). Once you have a full party, best practice is to go sweeping through every town for their items and quest information.

Knocking people out or taking them with you is a sometimes thing, relative to getting intel or items. This means that Ochette is probably the person you least want to bring into town exploration. Meanwhile, Osvald is great for getting items at night until Agnea is high enough to just get you the items without a fight, and in the meantime Throne should be sweeping people during the day.

Osvald is always going to useful too and by extension Partitio because some important item/summons require something like level 80-90 to get if you are using the characters with the guaranteed skill. They did a good job balancing the path actions and making everyone pretty useful.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd say Ochette rarely uses her path actions for me. Provoke is just worse Challenge and Befriend almost never gets used over Guide, Allure or Hire.

Jerky (I'd say it counts) has a lot of uses though. Very handy way to get certain status buffs/etc. But other than that she was my least used too so that's fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

In combat Ochette can break the game pretty severely. Especially if you decide to dive into high level areas and take down an enemy or two with good skills (like AOE damage or healing) since that means your level 16 Ochette now has a couple of level 40 monsters that will one-shot low-mid game enemies or heal the party for 600hp each with no bp/sp costs (and more if you use BP).

Oh yeah, I'd put Hikari, Castti and Ochette in their own tier just a tiny bit above the rest. Because they have incredible utility, damage, etc just in their base kits without needing anything crazy in terms of items/subjobs/money/etc. Throne gets an honorable mention though. But with just a little bit of work Ochette can hard carry the whole game for you. Which makes up for her lackluster path actions i'd say. Also Jerky.

Every character is good though, and can break the game used in certain ways. It's just a question of how much work it takes.